Bills announce contract extension for Tyrod Taylor

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills can pay Tyrod $3M this year and $22M under the tag.

So they have him for $25M the next 2 years. For the Bills to pay him $35M over the next 2 years would be absolutely asinine. They would essentially be giving him a $10M raise, for what?

The only way this chatter makes sense is if there is 3rd year on the deal for a team friendly $15-$16 M salary.

Basically 2 years $35M makes no sense

3 years $51M makes some sense.

With that said.....I just don't understand doing an extension now. I'd want to see him prove his worth this year before committing serious $.

If Tyrod and his agent beat the Bills on this deal, my confidence in Whaley will take a big hit.

So they have him for $25M the next 2 years. For the Bills to pay him $35M over the next 2 years would be absolutely asinine. They would essentially be giving him a $10M raise, for what?

The only way this chatter makes sense is if there is 3rd year on the deal for a team friendly $15-$16 M salary.

With that said.....I just don't understand doing an extension now. I'd want to see him prove his worth this year before committing serious $.

If Tyrod and his agent beat the Bills on this deal, my confidence in Whaley will take a big hit.

Unfortunately, the Texans set the market with Osweiler who has proved even less than TT at this stage. Two years at $35m is actually less than the average $18m Osweiler signed for and only a half mil more than the $17m per you propose. But the biggest ancillary benefit is that it will allow us to keep Gilmore at a lower rate, while giving TT a couple more years to prove he's the man at less than what a franchise QB makes.

GO BILLS!!!

It could be a deal that offers him some extra cash up front this season (either signing bonus or salary) and then has a large, but not guaranteed outlay next season. Essentially making it something like a one year deal with a 3 year team option. Tyrod gets some safe cash this season and the Bills get him at a decent price for three additional years if they want to keep him. But they can get out after this season if they don't. Edited by BarleyNY

Unfortunately, the Texans set the market with Osweiler who has proved even less than TT at this stage. Two years at $35m is actually less than the average $18m Osweiler signed for and only a half mil more than the $17m per you propose. But the biggest ancillary benefit is that it will allow us to keep Gilmore at a lower rate, while giving TT a couple more years to prove he's the man at less than what a franchise QB makes.

GO BILLS!!!

Osweiler was a FA. Tyrod is under contract for $3M this year. There's no comparison to be drawn there.

So we are going to overpay Tyrod $10M over 2 years so we can save $ on Gilmires's contract. That doesn't make any sense. Once again, I understand extensions excite fan bases, but this one makes no sense without a 3rd and possibly 4th year on the extension for team friendly salaries.

Osweiler was a FA. Tyrod is under contract for $3M this year. There's no comparison to be drawn there.

So we are going to overpay Tyrod $10M over 2 years so we can save $ on Gilmires's contract. That doesn't make any sense. Once again, I understand extensions excite fan bases, but this one makes no sense without a 3rd and possibly 4th year on the extension for team friendly salaries.

There's no comparison to be drawn between other QBs and their salaries and our own QB? I can't agree with that.

It remains to be seen if we "overpay" Taylor or not, depending on his future performance.

One thing is for sure though, based on his past performance, he is grossly underpaid. Sure, the Bills could be hardliners and hold his feet to the fire but that engenders ill will, serves notice to potential future free agents, and hamstrings us in our efforts to bring Gilmore back at a more reasonable number.

It makes a lot of sense on many levels, actually.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

My thinking on this topic has bounced around considerably, but at the end of the day I answer the question "why extend him now?" with "because it's the right thing to do."

What I mean by that is the Buffalo staff has had this guy in their "room" for 15 months now...they saw him win a QB competition, play at a high level, work hard in the offseason, and come back playing at an even higher level. To tell him "prove it" this season, earning what amounts to a measly salary of $3M, is almost stealing. The Bills know what they have, and if they believe in the guy then it is mutually beneficial for them to work out an extension, even if it is only a bridge to the next contract.

Edited by eball

My thinking on this topic has bounced around considerably, but at the end of the day I answer the question "why extend him now?" with "because it's the right thing to do."

What I mean by that is the Buffalo staff has had this guy in their "room" for 15 months now...they saw him win a QB competition, play at a high level, work hard in the offseason, and come back playing at an even higher level. To tell him "prove it" this season, earning what amounts to a measly salary of $3M, is almost stealing. The Bills know what they have, and if they believe in the guy then it is mutually beneficial for them to work out an extension, even if it is only a bridge to the next contract.

I'm there too. He's proven himself through last season and this year through TC. He probably won't play a ton during the PS games, but they know what they've got in him. There's been nothing but positive stories about him coming out from TC this year. He's the man. Pay the man.

The Bills don't know what they have, anymore than they knew what they had in Fitz when they gave him his big contract. There is a difference between thinking you know and knowing. Between proof and hope and dreams. There is no reason to give him his new contract until he actually proves himself ON THE FIELD, in the real season, on a consistent basis.

What he shows in training camp or without pads and not under real game pressures means little. There are always many "Training Camp Hall of Famers" who are "deer caught in the headlights" when they face real NFL opposition. Paying him what he is worth can wait till he proves he is not just another "placeholder" QB until the Bills find their Franchise QB, or is in fact a serious contender to be a Franchise QB. The right thing to do is pay him what he is actuaally worth. If he proves to be a serious contender for the Franchise QB, he deserves to be paid as one. If he proves himself this year to be just a placeholder, he deserves a lot less than a Franchise QB is worth.

Smart teams don't grossly overpay for a similarly tested Osweiler, while other teams take crazy gambles on them. Which ones make the Superbowl? The Bills have 2 years to decide his real worth, waiting another 5 or 6 months is the right thing to do. If he proves himself, he will be more than reasonably compensated for the 3 Million he is slated to get this year.

Edited by simpleman

The Bills don't know what they have, anymore than they knew what they had in Fitz when they gave him his big contract. There is a difference between thinking you know and knowing. Between proof and hope and dreams. There is no reason to give him his new contract until he actually proves himself ON THE FIELD, in the real season, on a consistent basis.

Stopped reading here. Fitz' "big contract" paid him among the bottom half of QBs in the league at the time.

The second TT signs this, he is going to get hurt. It's like Final Destination.

I'm going with: Mylar balloon, into nearby stadium power transformer, which then knocks down power lines, which then land RIGHT in a cup a Gatorade that Tyrod is raising to his lips.

That leaves the franchise tag for Gilmore next year if true...

It's why this deal is getting done

They know they likely will have to pay tyrod so why not get this deal done which is fair for both sides

Which gives the bills leverage vs Gilmore which will put some pressure on him to get a deal done