Bills announce contract extension for Tyrod Taylor

@spotrac

Re: Tyrod Taylor & the #Bills: A 4 yr contract with the first 2 yrs GTD at signing can look like a blockbuster but act like a bridge deal.

i think that makes a bit more sense --- more incentive on each side to be at the table with something thats got potential to be a little longer term.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are all of our insiders always botderline illiterate? Is it a reflection Bill's staff?

I'll tell you what. If this is a reflection of Bill's staff, then Bill should be OUTTA HERE!

I like the idea of a bridge deal. It gives TT a sense of control; he can sign for 2 years at $15 million per or he can roll the dice and try for a mega deal at the end of the season. Either way, no matter what happens, TT can't complain or be disgruntled. And the Bills are safe either way.

If we don't resign him now Tyrod plays for $3M this season. If he plays lights out we give him the franchise tag (if unable to workout a long term deal) for about $21 or $22 million. So bills have Tyrod for 2 years $25M as it stands now, with the ability to not commit one dollar more if he plays terribly this year.

If they decide to rip up this deal and replace it with 2 years $30M they are not only giving him $5M extra but they are locking into next year before seeing this year's results. It makes absolutely no sense. The only way a deal like this becomes favorable for the Bills is to add a team option 3rd year to the deal that is totally unguaranteed. And that 3rd year would need to be south of $18M for me to want to do it.

Now you have Tyrod for let's say:

$12M in '16

$18M in "17

$18M in '18

Total 3 years $48M

As opposed to:

$3M in '16

$21M in '17 (franchise tag)

$25.5M in '18 (franchise tag)

Total 3 years $49.5M

At least in this scenario the Bills are saving $1.5 M, but even with that, I personally wouldn't want to do that deal because I'm not protected against Tyrod totally imploding, as the Bills currently are. I really think they should let this season play out.

I like it because it locks him in for an extra year before needing to make the big franchise-altering decision, whether to give him $100m or whatever it is. Its worth a $5m raise in my opinion for an extra season to watch his health and his progress. I'd be surprised if Tyrod wants 2/$15m but for the Bills, I jump on it.

Edited by Aaron

I'm not really sure why they are so convinced they need to give him a bridge contract or anything longer than what he has. Why assume risk when you don't have too? If they are doing this out of good faith they better cover their asses on the back end of the deal and have a team option or it's a lose lose proposition.

That's as much as I would want to risk on QB who hasn't yet shown he can stay healthy, and is 0-5 when attempting over 30 passes.

I still feel that stat is skewed (as all stats do right?). Two games vs the Pats where Brady was likely doing his thing (lost 32-40 and 13-20) Second game was a meh game, 0 TD, 0 INT. Giants were up 16-3 at the half with no Shady or Watkins. KC had Shady and Watkins. Went 21-38, not good, but 3 TD and 0 INT, meh game other than the TD's. Loss to Philly. I'll happily give him a crap game there.

The health question aside, as someone that wanted EJ to emerge, I think he did a pretty good job even in those game he lost throwing over 30 times.... Well most of them.

Edited by The Wiz

I'm not really sure why they are so convinced they need to give him a bridge contract or anything longer than what he has. Why assume risk when you don't have too? If they are doing this out of good faith they better cover their asses on the back end of the deal and have a team option or it's a lose lose proposition.

This guarantees the franchise tag will be available for Gilmore. Thinking ahead.

This guarantees the franchise tag will be available for Gilmore. Thinking ahead.

Not only the use of the tag to keep Gilmore, but the threat of the tag to get the price down on a contract. It also means if they're wrong on Tyrod, it's a smaller mistake. This would give them a little more time to evaluate before going all in (or moving on).

Assuming reports are accurate-

Some considerations. If you are his agent what's your preferred breakdown here? Cash up front or max year two salary (with guarantees) so that the potential 120% raise with the franchise tag would really create a ton of leverage?