Bills announce contract extension for Tyrod Taylor

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they both play very well you don't. I still prefer Taylor at a reasonable price now. I suppose you could call it a less risky version of Russian roulette.

Taylor at a reasonable bridge contract definitely takes the gun out of Gilmore's hand, that's for sure. And even if Taylor flames out, $30M over two years is not a cap death sentence like it would've been a few years ago.

Shockingly, I'm in favor of this as well.

Why would you tag Gilmore and not TT in that scenario?

Good question, and youre right, Taylor would most likely be tagged in that scenario. But we'd still be in the position of negotiating against an open market and most likely losing our top CB and a recent 1st round pick.

Which puts us back in the cycle of drafting another CB to fill in for the one we couldnt sign.

Getting either of them signed before next offseason is the goal, so we only have 1 guy to tag. They started with Gilmore, and when that stalled, have moved to a more willing Taylor.

My post you quoted was a response to "I dont see the benefit of signing TT now".

I am giving the contract to TT right after he beats the Pats. Brady or no Brady.

all the money. 20 mil 10 years all guaren f'n teed

I think I'm good with this. Tyrod has shown me enough after beating the Pats in week four to put us at 3-1 that we are done wandering the forest looking for a qb. Enough is enough. I thinks this is enough. But Ralph er...

Question would it be a 2 year $30M extension. Or would they rip us this year and start the 2 year $30M now.

If it's the first the Bills are essentially getting a 3 year $33M deal which is terrific.

If it's the latter the Bills are giving Tyrod a huge raise and are not really getting anything in return.

Can someone please clarify which it is?

If they can sign him for $18 million a year or less they have to. 4-5 years. Basically Brock Osweiler's deal. It doesnt prevent you from drafting a QB. Remember 1st round picks dont get crazy contracts.

A QB averaging $18 million will be in the bottom 10 highest paid QBs in the NFL in a couple years.

Agreed, it would be a great deal for the Bills. Can't imagine Tyrod would do it, though, unless it was pretty much all guaranteed. Even then. If he improves this year, he could easily get around $21 mill or a bit more in a long-term deal after the season, and I think he believes he's going to improve a lot.

The only deal I can see Tyrod signing right now is a two year deal. And I wonder why the Bills would give him a deal like that when they can already franchise him and have him for two years for a total of his current money this year plus the franchise tag amount next year, which would be an awful lot less in total than, say two years for $36 mill. What would the Bills get from signing him to that, with the exception of being able to use the cap on Gilmore next year. And I can't believe they'd pay so much extra for that alone.

Question would it be a 2 year $30M extension. Or would they rip us this year and start the 2 year $30M now.

If it's the first the Bills are essentially getting a 3 year $33M deal which is terrific.

If it's the latter the Bills are giving Tyrod a huge raise and are not really getting anything in return.

Can someone please clarify which it is?

Can't imagine Tyrod signing the former deal, which would keep him in Buffalo for three years. And it's hard to imagine the Bills signing the latter, for exactly the reason you point out.

The one benefit would be to make the tag available for Gilmore, but the Bills would be paying Tyrod an extra $6 or $7 mill against the cap to do it. If it came to that, why not just give that extra $6 or $7 mill to Gilmore instead?

Edited by Thurman#1

@spotrac

It's arbitrary, but a $15M per year deal for #Bills QB Tyrod Taylor would rank 23rd among active QBs (between Dalton & Fitzpatrick).

Yup. But I don't see Tyrod wanting to be in that neighborhood. Dalton is absolutely rueing signing that contract. Here's the rankings near that spot by average salary:

20) Alex Smith $17 mill

21) Carson Palmer $16.5

22) Andy Dalton $16

23) Fitz $12 mill

24) Griffin III $7.5

25) Chase Daniel $7

26) Goff $6.98

27) Wentz $6.7

... followed, in order, by Jameis, Mariota, Bortles, Josh McCown, Sanchez, Henne, Keenum and Shaun Hill ...

I don't think Tyrod sees himself that low. We'll see I guess.

Edited by Thurman#1

I like your enthusiasm, but seems a bit over the top. Could we throw some incentives in there just to hedge the bet?

I will leave that to my finacial people.

But " do not let him leave the building

He's very hungry tonight, and not just for Bills success. It may lead to extremes.

Hey ! I ate the second Olive !

"

Sal said just now on radio he doesn't think it will be a clear cut two year 30 mill. He thinks it will be more creative so they can get out of it, but structured so he has money up front for security. Neither side thinks 3 mill is the right amount to pay him at this time.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Yup. But I don't see Tyrod wanting to be in that neighborhood. Dalton is absolutely rueing signing that contract. Here's the rankings near that spot by average salary:

20) Alex Smith $17 mill

21) Carson Palmer $16.5

22) Andy Dalton $16

23) Fitz $12 mill

24) Griffin III $7.5

25) Chase Daniel $7

26) Goff $6.98

27) Wentz $6.7

... followed, in order, by Jameis, Mariota, Bortles, Josh McCown, Sanchez, Henne, Keenum and Shaun Hill ...

I don't think Tyrod sees himself that low. We'll see I guess.

ive brought it up a few times - and $15m would surprise me. It would, essentially, be the lowest paid "expected to start the whole time" contract in the league (minus rookie deals).

I dont think that the bump in pay when compared to playing out then being tagged is enough for him to give the bills 2 years with the tag option for a 3rd (that carries him into his 30s).

i dont know that the bills are getting a ton here either (they could let him play out and then tag twice and come out almost the same with less guarantees). the biggest thing being the flexibility with holding the tag over gilmore.

it could happen... but 2 years 30m would surprise me. its simple and not totally unreasonable or anything - i just dont know that there would be enough "want" to sign it from both sides.

Edited by NoSaint

If we don't resign him now Tyrod plays for $3M this season. If he plays lights out we give him the franchise tag (if unable to workout a long term deal) for about $21 or $22 million. So bills have Tyrod for 2 years $25M as it stands now, with the ability to not commit one dollar more if he plays terribly this year.

If they decide to rip up this deal and replace it with 2 years $30M they are not only giving him $5M extra but they are locking into next year before seeing this year's results. It makes absolutely no sense. The only way a deal like this becomes favorable for the Bills is to add a team option 3rd year to the deal that is totally unguaranteed. And that 3rd year would need to be south of $18M for me to want to do it.

Now you have Tyrod for let's say:
$12M in '16
$18M in "17
$18M in '18

Total 3 years $48M

As opposed to:
$3M in '16
$21M in '17 (franchise tag)
$25.5M in '18 (franchise tag)

Total 3 years $49.5M

At least in this scenario the Bills are saving $1.5 M, but even with that, I personally wouldn't want to do that deal because I'm not protected against Tyrod totally imploding, as the Bills currently are. I really think they should let this season play out.

Edited by Estro

I see this thread is getting quite a bit of action so it makes me think that there is a deal imminent. Is there something out there I missed that says Tyrod is going to get a deal definitely?

A lot of getting the contract language just right may be the only stumbling blocks for an extension this summer.

1- guaranteed money on an extension

2- tyrod still demanding his wings with Ranch dressing only could be a sticking point. In particular with the Ryan bros.

I'm imagining something kind of like Bradford's deal, possibly to replace this year's: a big up front payday, with most guaranteed money the first year, little guarantees but big potential the second. That way, Tyrod gets his cash now. The team gets a year to evaluate. If he doesn't live up, there is little dead cap. If he is too good to lose, you have an effective team option with the chance to broker a long term deal.

A lot of getting the contract language just right may be the only stumbling blocks for an extension this summer.

2- tyrod still demanding his wings with Ranch dressing only could be a sticking point. In particular with the Ryan bros.

I certainly can understand why this could be a sticking point. I mean, you can't get fully pregnant with ranch dressing.

Oh man I forgot about this. How can we have a QB who would prefer ranch over blue cheese?

Cut him

CBF