Topic of the day Sunday 6/26: Favorite all time Bills player

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andre Reed - 4th round pick from small school who was able to develop into a HOF player. As a WR he did it all - his toughness over the middle was amazing. He also looks like he could still play now! I'm glad he's going into coaching because he seems like he knows how important technique is vs talent and how to take care of your body to compete at the highest level. I know he's not perfect and had some less than desirable moments but he's always been my favorite Bill.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Got to be Jim Kelly.

Was the face of the franchise and turned everything around when he came to Buffalo, both on the field and psychologically. I was at the first game he started and even though they lost you could tell that the worm had turned when he got into a fight with a DL who had him pinned to the ground ("giving him the business")... the Bills weren't going to take it anymore.

And his personal struggles make him more human and easier for a hard luck town to identify with. When he told the press that Hunter "was a Kelly"- part of their family and a fighter- it brought tears to my eyes.

It's hard not to say Kelly. But if I had to pick a player from a different era . . . Moorman!

Obviously he's the only player we've had during this drought that could be considered the best at his position and played for us for about 10 years. He always seemed like special player on the field, had a couple of nice td passes and handled a botched play better than any punter i've ever seen. Obviously he loves the city and the area, just seems like a great guy, and had a perfect reaction to the attention he was getting.

Also, he's emblematic of these past 17 years. He was given extra opportunities to shine, what with all the punting we did and took full advantage. It's fitting that one of our best players should be a punter given how things have gone lately.

I'm sure many of you don't think so, but I've really enjoyed the past 17. I don't live in WNY anymore and when I go to my Bills backer bar every week I really feel a sense of solidarity that I don't see with other teams, but I don't know maybe I just have blinders on. Anyways, all the losing seems to make for better fans and for that I'm grateful.

Go Bills!

Thurman Thomas was my favorite then and still is. I loved watching him set up blocks and he was such a great runner after the catch. The team needed Kelly and his ability to mix the short and deep pass. It kept the opposing defense on thier heels. But it was Thurman who made the offense work. Incredible pass blocker too. Just a complete RB even if he was never the biggest or the strongest. He and Barry Sanders may have had greatest vision and ability to read blocks in the game. Emmitt Smith was a more ferocious and downhill runner and played behind the best guard in NFL history, Larry Allen. Bills O-lines were great too but I think a notch below Dallas.

Thurman's signed jersey and a piece of the old turf is the only Bills memorabilia I own.

So as someone who didn't see any of those greats.... it is Fred. I don't know how many yards he ended his Buffalo career with but on every single play he got at least one more than he was entitled to get. A great competitor in a bad era of Bills football.

Man this hard.

Amen- in addition to all mentioned:

Notable mentions:

Reggie McKenzie

Bobby Chandler

Joe Ferguson

Fred Smerlas

Steve Tasker

Brian Moorman

Fred Jackson

Tom Dempsey

Phil Hansen