Salary Cap Thread (post-Cordy's Glenn extension)

Not spend it, roll it over to next year and sign Gilmore and taylor

Yes, because the roster, as presently constituted, is devoid of holes or weaknesses. We still need of a top-three receiver. RT is a huge question mark. The RG (Miller) sucked a$$ as a rookie..."but trust us, he's bound to get better!" We have a safety that is one hit away from retirement. Our PK is shakier than a crack-addict in need of a fix. And we might as well pull a fan out of the stands, on a weekly basis, to return kickoffs and punts (the fan couldn't be any worse than the doofuses that have done it for the last few years). It was great draft..but come on, we aren't ready for the season as of yet!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, because the roster, as presently constituted, is devoid of holes or weaknesses. We still need of a top-three receiver. RT is a huge question mark. The RG (Miller) sucked a$$ as a rookie..."but trust us, he's bound to get better!" We have a safety that is one hit away from retirement. Our PK is shakier than a crack-addict in need of a fix. And we might as well pull a fan out of the stands, on a weekly basis, to return kickoffs and punts (the fan couldn't be any worse than the doofuses that have done it for the last few years). It was great draft..but come on, we aren't ready for the season as of yet!

Ok Bucky and Sully.

What's a top three receiver? So because Harvin (nut case) and Hogan (street FA) are gone that position is a mess? Three of the five offensive linemen are very good, two are question marks due to injury/illness. I'm guessing the powers that be at One Bills Drive are aware of this, and if they think it is a problem they will address it. Everybody is one hit away from retirement. If a teams biggest issues are return man and place kicker, I'd say they were in pretty good shape.

It`s very difficult to construct a hole free lineup in the cap era

Green Bay and New England have holes all over their roster as well, it`s just that having a great QB patches over most of it

If we are going to have holes having them at WR, safety and KR aren`t bad places to have them

According to Buffalo News "expert' Jerah Sullivan we are doomed because of this contract. So we should be fine.

I knew when I saw the headline it had to be Sullivan or Gleason. Bills have 45 or so million under the cap in 2017, not including the 8 million they could roll over from 2016. If the Bills want to sign Gilmore and Taylor they will sign them. If they don't it won't be because they don't have the money to do so.

They should extend Gilmore now. That would save about $5M on the cap this year. They should then use some of the $13.6M in cap room to sign a good RT. Then roll the remainder into next year, to give them over $15M in cap room to re-sign TT if he shows he's worth it.

Good RT's aren't just hanging out. Having the money to sign a player is different than having a player available who is worth spending the money on. Davis in San Francisco wants out, but he doesn't have any leverage. Are there any RT's you've heard are FA's?

They should extend Gilmore now. That would save about $5M on the cap this year. They should then use some of the $13.6M in cap room to sign a good RT. Then roll the remainder into next year, to give them over $15M in cap room to re-sign TT if he shows he's worth it.

I would not be giving Tyrod anything till he can throw consistently 275 plus yard games at 60% completion and win those games. He also needs to show he can come from behind. Look what happen with Fitz when he got the money. I would rather keep picking QB's than get stuck with Taylor who is 1 hit away from losing his mobility and becoming a marginal player. He is not a franchise QB! Besides who else beside Cleveland would sign him to that size of a contract?

Wow, why do you watch this terrible team!

Edited by USABuffaloFan

I thought we all agreed that 5.6M was too much cap space for rookies. I thought we said something closer to 3 mil because of the rule of 53.

It might not be $5.6M ultimately but i's probably closer to $5.6M than $3M.

Why do they need to clear cap with Gilmore at this point? I agree extend him but why push hits down the line with it?

Because the cap keeps going up annually.

I knew when I saw the headline it had to be Sullivan or Gleason. Bills have 45 or so million under the cap in 2017, not including the 8 million they could roll over from 2016. If the Bills want to sign Gilmore and Taylor they will sign them. If they don't it won't be because they don't have the money to do so.

Good RT's aren't just hanging out. Having the money to sign a player is different than having a player available who is worth spending the money on. Davis in San Francisco wants out, but he doesn't have any leverage. Are there any RT's you've heard are FA's?

Davis is one. There might be others after June 1st.

I'm on the phone so was not able to read every post, but don't forget we need insurance money after the rookies for injuries so it's not that much. Maybe $4 mil.

I'd love to see Gilmore's camp meet the team in the middle and get it done. Not to open cap space, but peace of mind everyone's happy and TT has to wait. He'll get serious money anyway if he does what he says he'll do this year.

nice metaphor. Id be surprised if they dont address at LEAST RT with the june cuts

I would not be giving Tyrod anything till he can throw consistently 275 plus yard games at 60% completion and win those games. He also needs to show he can come from behind. Look what happen with Fitz when he got the money. I would rather keep picking QB's than get stuck with Taylor who is 1 hit away from losing his mobility and becoming a marginal player. He is not a franchise QB! Besides who else beside Cleveland would sign him to that size of a contract?

Wow, why do you watch this terrible team!

Denver would sign him to at least $15 mill, they were trying to pry TT away from us this off-season, Whaley didnt let it happen.

LOL that made me laugh, picturing a bunch of RTs hanging out at home depot waiting for work!

Hopefully the Bills can resign Gilmore. I worry about having 2 big important players possibly hitting free agency in Tyrod and Gilmore. The Bills should let Tyrod play out the season, no reason to commit there and you can always franchise tag him if needed. But Gilmore needs to be locked up, the Bills can't have a situation where they tag Tyrod and then Gimore hits the market. 6 foot tall fast corners with good instincts don't grow on trees. The Bills could also free up some more cap space to roll over for next year by getting an extension done.

If the Bills do have some money to play with I would likely target two positions for some cheap to modest acquisitions in June cuts. I think the Bills desperately need a true NT on the roster if there is a vet NT out there that they can scoop up at a cheap to modest price I would do it, it should be priority number 1. RT/Swing tackle would be another position the team should scour for a cheap option at.

But I wouldn't splurge on anyone. 1- Because no free agents are going to command or be worth big money at this stage. 2- The Bills cap next season needs as much money rolled over to it as possible. Getting 8-10 million roll over for next season could cover half of Tyrod's contract if needed.

But if a solid NT or RT is out there post June 1st I would like to see the Bills be active in trying to find some additional proven options there.

Edited by billsfan89

Might be a good idea to throw Taylor a bone this year, say $2 mil and more for every win > 8? A little good faith money so he feels wanted and wants to return if he plays really well.

Genuine question: what's the difference between rolling money over and structuring a contract so that same money is in the cap hit next year?

It seems to me they are structuring the contracts the way they are (with minimal cap hit this year) for a reason, and intend to make a few late value free agent signings, as Whaley said they were going to do before it all started. Or the money is being freed to give Taylor a good faith raise.

As it stands now, they should have over 40m of available cap in 2017, so while as a QB and a CB the TT/Gilmore contracts will be pretty large, they will still fit.

To answer your original question: Nothing except accounting, unless you wind up needing the extra cap space in the current year. It's all about flexibility. Deferral of cap hits does benefit the team because of the annual increase of cap space. Cap space has been going up by about 8% a year on average so every cap dollar deferred is discounted, on average, by 8% per season of deferral. That adds up.

Right now the Bills are looking at $36M in cap room in 2017. That is assuming a team base cap of $166M. Any rollover would be added to the $36M and any new contracts (Gilmore, Taylor, 2016 & 2017 draft classes, etc.) deducted. The franchise tag for QBs in 2016 was $25M so things might still be tight if Taylor has to be tagged.

Edited by BarleyNY

nice metaphor. Id be surprised if they dont address at LEAST RT with the june cuts

Denver would sign him to at least $15 mill, they were trying to pry TT away from us this off-season, Whaley didnt let it happen.

LOL that made me laugh, picturing a bunch of RTs hanging out at home depot waiting for work!

OK , you, you & you, let's go! Get in the back of the truck!

Get Gilmore done now and throw more up front money at him so it's more cap friendly down the road

The Bills have shown lately they know how to do contracts.

Might be a good idea to throw Taylor a bone this year, say $2 mil and more for every win > 8? A little good faith money so he feels wanted and wants to return if he plays really well.

This is a business....they want money!!

There is more than enough there to sign our rookie class, extend Gilmore (keeping his cap hit this year roughly the same) and still be able to sign a RT if one shakes free from somewhere. If one doesn't, then you keep the $$s roll it over and put it towards a possible extension / tag for Tyrod in 2017.

As I've said before, there are some pretty easy cuts next year that make sense and free up cash (although we will need the draftees to come through and start filling those bottom of the roster spots):

Cutting Felton, Carpenter, Easley and Kujo before the 2017 season saves us around $5.7m on the cap.

Corey Graham would save another $3.75m and the one none of us really wants to see but we know is very likely..... Kyle Williams saves us $6.8m against the cap.

I am still saying the deal that hurts us the most going forward is Charles Clay. Man I really do not like that contract.