RD 4, Pick 139: QB Cardale Jones, Ohio State

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes sense.........obviously they're moving on from EJ (first round money) to Cardale (4th round money). Seems like it's almost a pseudo cap move. I would expect EJ will be released is they can save any money by doing so.

They can't save any money on EJ by cutting him.

Meaning what in relation to this topic? The team needed a QB just by virtue of the numbers on the roster so far. Jones is not a threat to Taylor this year, he's going to get coached up by a couple really solid positional coaches and an OC who knows how to develop guys. I like this setup for Jones and for the Bills. If he works out, fantastic.

Meaning that you don't have to "love" this pick because it makes sense on paper, if you think Cardale has terrible habits and sucks. There's a large degree of subjectivity, up to and including random gut feelings.

I love the pick for some of the reasons you stated and more. But I don't think everyone should.

disagreeing is not the problem. It's the arrogance that fans here know more than GMs and just hate everything the Bills do

It sounds like it is, seeing as this is the first pick that poster said he hated...

I have only one thought about this pick:

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

Hate this pick

Hating this draft more and more

Last two picks offer little to no help this year.

Ragland better start and play well or Whaley is gone

Oh yes you're totally right, 1st team All-American's are awful. So glad you set us straight on Adolphus Washington.

So, it is decided; Cardale Jones is a bust on the Buffalo Barbarian scale of QB picking?

He is SO wrong SO often, that there are actual NFL personnel guys and scouts that look at this board a few times a day to get assurances on which guys have no chance and which guys have a lot of potential, based solely on the inverse of Barbarian's evaluations. It's really a shrewd way of scouting.

I was speaking generally about this draft...not anyone in particular.....

Gotcha, but my post was a direct response to someone wanting to block a poster for not liking the pick, that you quoted.

Edited by FireChan

Meaning that you don't have to "love" this pick because it makes sense on paper, if you think Cardale has terrible habits and sucks. There's a large degree of subjectivity, up to and including random gut feelings.

I love the pick for some of the reasons you stated and more. But I don't think everyone should.

I'm not arguing that it should be universally loved, but it fills a need with a player with a very high ceiling for essentially a 5th round pick. Not sure what other QB would be a bette fit from those left on the board.

@ChrisBrownBills

Whaley- Cardale is a blank canvas. Got an off. staff that can help mold him. #Bills

Whaley- EJ Manuel is our No. 2 QB. #Bills

Whaley - we did a lot of background work on Jones. Monos- didnt play that bad this year. Wants to be great. #Bills

Monos- we had Jones here on a visit and coaches felt he had something to work with. #Bills

Monos- Jones is an easy guy to write off but we put a lot of work in on him and we feel good about him. #Bills

Monos- Jones need to work on reading defenses and footwork. #Bills

Cardale- I felt they were interested. Coach Ryan was very honest with me. Told me if they had a chance to get me he would. #Bills

Cardale- I feel like my ceiling is really high. Aren't many guys i'd rather have grooming me than #Bills QBs coach David Lee.

It seems when the Bills evaluate QB's they look at physical size and pretty much nothing else.

Well, there is something in common here with EJ and Cardale -- both big, strong armed, mobile. Both not known for reading defenses ... Mayock's comps were Culpepper (good) and Skelton (not). I've also seen Logan Thomas (so far, not good).

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Cardale Jones led the Buckeyes to the National Championship two seasons ago as a third stringer. He played very well on a phenomenal team against Oregon. Last season, he struggled. He was inconsistent. He never started a full season so we can assume that he has a lot of learning to do. The Bills may have rushed Manuel. Bring Jones along slowly.

How so?

You don't draft Cardale Jones with the last pick in the 4th round to start him.

Tyrod is the unquestioned #1 on this team. Cardale was drafted to sit behind him and learn.

The writing is now on the wall for EJ Manuel however.

I should say a TBD QB controversy.