RD 3, Pick 80: DT Adolphus Washington, The Ohio State U

Beerball

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley says Washington could play the 5-tech or the nose. "Game-plan specific." Won't say for sure if Dareus stays on nose. Game to game.

Sounds like Belichick type schemes where a player will have a huge game one week then play 5 snaps the next...hey, that's what it comes down to now tho at times...

I like Adolphus a lot but this draft is showing me that Whaley is letting Rex call the shots. We have holes on offense especially RT, WR and QB.

Rex clearly hasn't learned anything as he continues to try to have an elite defense with a mediocre offense, it's like were are stuck with Buddy Ryan. Yes it worked for the Broncos but that happens every once in a while and they were one play away from the Patriots tying it up and going to overtime.

I like Adolphus a lot but this draft is showing me that Whaley is letting Rex call the shots.

I thought that was pretty evident last year when we brought in players like Harvin, IK Enemkpali, Taylor, and Felton.

It's a collaboration of course, but I think it's pretty clear who wears the pants in this relationship.

I like Adolphus a lot but this draft is showing me that Whaley is letting Rex call the shots. We have holes on offense especially RT, WR and QB.

Rex clearly hasn't learned anything as he continues to try to have an elite defense with a mediocre offense, it's like were are stuck with Buddy Ryan. Yes it worked for the Broncos but that happens every once in a while and they were one play away from the Patriots tying it up and going to overtime.

This kind of statement that Rex is calling the shots drives me nuts. They hired Rex more than a year ago. They immediately acquired two quarterbacks, traded a popular LB for a RB, signed a WR in Percy Harvin for $6m, outbid the Fins for a play making TE, signed one of the top FB, signed or drafted two starting OG, and drafted another RB. Oh, and drafted a CB in the second round.

Rex was definitely calling all the shots because he wants his guys on defense.

This kind of statement that Rex is calling the shots drives me nuts. They hired Rex more than a year ago. They immediately acquired two quarterbacks, traded a popular LB for a RB, signed a WR in Percy Harvin for $6m, outbid the Fins for a play making TE, signed one of the top FB, signed or drafted two starting OG, and drafted another RB. Oh, and drafted a CB in the second round.

Spot on.

Unfortunately, D is the greater need this year. Whaley's done a great job with these draft picks, IMO. I'm guessing a developmental QB with the 4th pick.

Agreed...

And maybe I'm just naive...But I really believe Rex likes working with Whaley, and Whaley likes working Rex...I think they're working together towards a common goal, and I don't think they mind it at all... B-)

Yes we needed a safety and a WR and either would have seen substantial playing time if not start. This guy is only going to play on 3rd downs if ever

According to whaley they are going to draft on position of need moving forward, so the next 3 picks will be something like S, QB, WR or OT

The way he will use him, I think he will be very good. 3rd down pass rush.

He's Kyles understudy pretty much with the ability to move around on the D-Line. Not a bad depth pick but I could see why some fans got puzzled it wasnt a Saftey, OT, or WR myself included.

It's not about a #2. We need a burner. Our offense was very different with Harvin out there

It was crazy with a healthy Watkins harvin and woods out there. Now that TT and Watkins have chemistry another deep threat burner WR would be ideal, while letting Woods take the short and intermediate routes and Watkins runs everything from screen to go routes.

A situational pass rushing Defensive tackle....

....is there a pass rushing cornerback available in this draft?

LOL that comment made me laugh. nice work. Hopefully we can stumble upon a starting caliber Saftey in the later rounds.

To all the detractors - keep in mind, people were like "Preston who?" And he's doing well and getting better. John Miller might catch more heat and a rash of insults more than any other 3rd Rookie I can remember - but he played fairly well when healthy....and considering how quickly he picked up Roman's complicated running Offense as a Rookie too. So, Whaley has me on the "wait and see, but trusting him" train...

Rotational guy as insurance to Kyle perhaps?

yep. plus Kyle probably gone after this year

To all the detractors - keep in mind, people were like "Preston who?" And he's doing well and getting better. John Miller might catch more heat and a rash of insults more than any other 3rd Rookie I can remember - but he played fairly well when healthy....and considering how quickly he picked up Roman's complicated running Offense as a Rookie too. So, Whaley has me on the "wait and see, but trusting him" train...

in Doug I trust... he's earned it

Gerald McCoy, Geno Atkins, John Randle, Suh, Donald, Kyle, Kawaan Short had 11 sacks last year. The quickest way to a QB is right up the middle.

Anyone who watched the AFC Championship game and Super Bowl last season knows that the key to Denver's defensive success was the incredible interior penetration they were getting on passing downs. Von Miller is a beast but he was absolutely the beneficiary of the tremendous play by the Broncos' defensive tackles. They were terrific.

Kyle's high motor has a lot of miles on it

This

Anyone care to remember what round the meatball was drafted in?

Look.....I know that certain fans B word about every pick every year and I know that is their right....

But TRY to have a little forsight please? There is a very good chance Kyle Williams is not here next year AND maybe the bills are smart enough to give the meatball lots of rest to get him through a 16 game season this year and keep him productive.

I think what it shows is the bills are taking a simplistic view of it

- The O was much improved under Roman last year

- The D did not have all the players it needed to run Rex Ryan's D scheme and dropped 20 spots

and we were 8 and 8

.Reminds me of the TJ pick in the 3rd round, WTF.

Actually...taking a WR this year would be pretty identical to taking TJ then......

Not a strong year for wideouts

Drafting for need instead of BPA

Washington brings even more versitility to our defense....and shows a little bit of "down the road" thinking

Billings was there..... Super highly rated NT, don't get why the Bills drafted Washington?

Billings has medical issues, 31 other teams have passed on a guy who many thought was 1st round material.

Edited by CSBill

what if the team is passing on first and 2nd down and lining up 5 receivers... does he still only play on third down? You know teams don't just run on 1st and 2nd, and only throw on 3rd down. What about 2 minute offense, does KW stay on the field every play?

Depends on how quickly the play call comes in