RD 3, Pick 80: DT Adolphus Washington, The Ohio State U

Beerball

Interesting anecdote from one of Whaley's post-draft interviews. He said that the reason they brought 6 OSU guys in at the same time and took them to dinner was because they wanted to watch them interact with each other. They wanted to see who everyone listened to when he spoke. Who stood out as a leader amongst the group. That player was Adolphus.

I can't remember what interview it was with Whaley after the Ragland pick...But he said something similar about the Alabama guys...asking them about who was the the man on their Defense?...Who was the guy they most wanted to have their back?...He said they all said Ragland...It's an interesting approach to Scouting I think...

As for Adolphus I think some folks may be jumping the gun in their assumptions about what this kid is, and what he going to be as a Pro longterm...I don't think he's anywhere close to a finished product...But he's got upside...They will use him as a rotational DT, mostly on 3rd and long early...Then try to mold him and work him into something more...It all depends on how much he wants it...Because he's got plenty he can improve upon...And I think he has the measurables and athletic ability to one day be a 5 tech option on this D-line...He ran a 4.95 at his Pro Day (yes I know...Ohio St Pro days...)...He just needs to get in...Work in the gym...get stronger and learn the better technique these coaches are going to teach him...

I like upside and athletic ability...Especially in the 2nd and 3rd Round...I assume good coaches are going to improve players with natural ability...The main thing I see with Washington...and Ragland...Is they may improve REALLY quickly purely be eating right and getting on an NFL strength and conditioning training program...Because you can see the natural ability on the tape...Sometimes it jumps off the screen... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see some people were scratching their heads with this pick. I went back a ways to look at another DT that really didn't grade out very well. Funny thing is, that same player has been to the pro bowl and played at an extremely high level for ten years. I'm sure some of you know just who I am talking about but in case you don't check this.

Draft Profile

Nice link Rock On

I can't remember what interview it was with Whaley after the Ragland pick...But he said something similar about the Alabama guys...asking them about who was the the man on their Defense?...Who was the guy they most wanted to have their back?...He said they all said Ragland...It's an interesting approach to Scouting I think...

As for Adolphus I think some folks may be jumping the gun in their assumptions about what this kid is, and what he going to be as a Pro longterm...I don't think he's anywhere close to a finished product...But he's got upside...They will use him as a rotational DT, mostly on 3rd and long early...Then try to mold him and work him into something more...It all depends on how much he wants it...Because he's got plenty he can improve upon...And I think he has the measurables and athletic ability to one day be a 5 tech option on this D-line...He ran a 4.95 at his Pro Day (yes I know...Ohio St Pro days...)...He just needs to get in...Work in the gym...get stronger and learn the better technique these coaches are going to teach him...

I like upside and athletic ability...Especially in the 2nd and 3rd Round...I assume good coaches are going to improve players with natural ability...The main thing I see with Washington...and Ragland...Is they may improve REALLY quickly purely be eating right and getting on an NFL strength and conditioning training program...Because you can see the natural ability on the tape...Sometimes it jumps off the screen... B-)

Coaching a rookie is really the determining factor in my mind. At any position. We talk about QB development often, but I think it really applies so much for rookies coming out of a limited ( possibly ) program.

Washington is Kid who will get coached up. be mover around, and improve his run techniques. as Ragland will show more in his short area coverage. He will destroy anything in front of him.

first 3 picks are just so complimentary to each other with the players we already have. :wub:

Coaching a rookie is really the determining factor in my mind. At any position. We talk about QB development often, but I think it really applies so much for rookies coming out of a limited ( possibly ) program.

Washington is Kid who will get coached up. be mover around, and improve his run techniques. as Ragland will show more in his short area coverage. He will destroy anything in front of him.

first 3 picks are just so complimentary to each other with the players we already have. :wub:

Great to know they'll say nice things to each other. ALL IN!

Interesting anecdote from one of Whaley's post-draft interviews. He said that the reason they brought 6 OSU guys in at the same time and took them to dinner was because they wanted to watch them interact with each other. They wanted to see who everyone listened to when he spoke. Who stood out as a leader amongst the group. That player was Adolphus.

Whaley places a huge value on team chemistry, leadership qualities and the like. I think we have added a lot of good personalities to the roster over the past couple years.

Whaley places a huge value on team chemistry, leadership qualities and the like. I think we have added a lot of good personalities to the roster over the past couple years.

This is an interesting point and something that may have slipped past some folks. And maybe it is not as true as we might wish.

But i do agree. Whaley is very good at Team building. His culture and chops are just starting to show.

Lots of folks said this draft was do or die for him. Well , even without the requisite 3 years to "wait and see" I think his method is rather exemplary.He remains consistent and task focused. Now wonder Rex calls him Whales. Out of respect for the largest "conceptual" mammal in the room

It's exactly why a certain malcontent DE had no chance of returning to the team in 2016 no matter what.

When I look at his film......I think that he relies too much on natural abilities.....

He needs to get into a NFL strength training program......he gets pushed around too much.......

If you can rush the passer....u can rush the passer

Needs to develop his overall game

Still it was smart to take him this year....because by year two this guy might be a monster

Just my two cents, he will be a good to great NFL pass rusher. The college game, especially in the big 10, is way more run heavy than the NFL. Adolphus started out as an edge rusher and then moved inside. He will do quite well rotating in our DL. He has go go gadget arms. I don't see him playing NT at all as I saw suggested somewhere. Not a space eater. He eats QBs. If he is committed and disciplined, he can develop into a starting 3-4 DE. But will really need to work on the run D.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just my two cents, he will be a good to great NFL pass rusher. The college game, especially in the big 10, is way more run heavy than the NFL. Adolphus started out as an edge rusher and then moved inside. He will do quite well rotating in our DL. He has go go gadget arms. I don't see him playing NT at all as I saw suggested somewhere. Not a space eater. He eats QBs. If he is committed and disciplined, he can develop into a starting 3-4 DE. But will really need to work on the run D.

as long as the LBs can clean up, and he can make progress against the run? He might work out

A 300 lbs + pass rushing DE. A rare commodity that somehow seems familiar. Now if he could just learn to set the edge.

Very good points and I love the style of play analysis.