Calling all landscapers... Need help

mrags

Ok. So the last mower I bought was a craftsman POS. after using it for 6 minutes I was done with it. It always had issues with thick heavy patches of grass, and always sounded like it was grinding up steel pillars when I mulched.

Now that we have moved into a new house with a bigger yard I'm looking for something a little better, a little more powerful.

Over the winter I bought myself a beefy new Ariens snowblower. 24" Super High Output. This thing cuts through ice and snow like a hot knife through warm butter.

The same place that sold me the snowblower has mowers as well. Since I know absolutely nothing about mowers and what's good, I'm looking for a bit of help. Does anyone have any Ariens mowers? What about Gravely? I'm told they are technically the same company. But I'm trying to find out what's the better option. I'm hearing Gravely is more of a commercial unit so that intrigues me a little knowing that landscapers use them on a daily basis.

Below is a link for the model I'm thinking about. But if there's another model for either Ariens or Gravely that's up to $1,000-1,200 I would be interested in hearing why it's a better option.

Thanks for your help

http://www.tylertool.com/ariens-911194-classic-lm21sw-179cc-gas-21-in--3-in-1-lawn-mower/arnn911194,default,pd.html?ref=pla-mobile&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=723&zmap=arnn911194&gclid=COjHo4CWo8wCFQmRaQodAJAB8Q

Edited by mrags

Ok. So the last mower I bought was a craftsman POS. after using it for 6 minutes I was done with it. It always had issues with thick heavy patches of grass, and always sounded like it was grinding up steel pillars when I mulched.

Now that we have moved into a new house with a bigger yard I'm looking for something a little better, a little more powerful.

Over the winter I bought myself a beefy new Ariens snowblower. 24" Super High Output. This thing cuts through ice and snow like a hot knife through warm butter.

The same place that sold me the snowblower has mowers as well. Since I know absolutely nothing about mowers and what's good, I'm looking for a bit of help. Does anyone have any Ariens mowers? What about Gravely? I'm told they are technically the same company. But I'm trying to find out what's the better option. I'm hearing Gravely is more of a commercial unit so that intrigues me a little knowing that landscapers use them on a daily basis.

Below is a link for the model I'm thinking about. But if there's another model for either Ariens or Gravely that's up to $1,000-1,200 I would be interested in hearing why it's a better option.

Thanks for your help

http://www.tylertool.com/ariens-911194-classic-lm21sw-179cc-gas-21-in--3-in-1-lawn-mower/arnn911194,default,pd.html?ref=pla-mobile&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=723&zmap=arnn911194&gclid=COjHo4CWo8wCFQmRaQodAJAB8Q

when it comes to push mowers i've always gone Honda. The motors last forever and they're usually cheaper. They don't have the swivel casters on front, usually, but they're good mowers.

Of course i havent used a push mower in 10-15 years.

anyway, i'd definitely look at online reviews. amazon would likely have the best reviews per brand and you can read about all of the issues.

Edited by Boyst62

when it comes to push mowers i've always gone Honda. The motors last forever and they're usually cheaper. They don't have the swivel casters on front, usually, but they're good mowers.

Of course i havent used a push mower in 10-15 years.

anyway, i'd definitely look at online reviews. amazon would likely have the best reviews per brand and you can read about all of the issues.

thanks Bud. I value your opinion. that's why I'm here, to hear people's opinions that I know (and dare I say trust).

A rider is probably out of the question for me. I just don't have a large enough lawn to warrant a rider. On top of it I would need a push mower as well to get around the corners and turns. A zero turn would be nice but I'm not spending that kind of money.

Anyone here have experience with battery powered mowers?

I like my honda, but the transmission/gearbox quit and the damn thing is super heavy. I have a small back yard with a large pool, trees and landscaping. It is very difficult to maneuver the heavy honda in the back yard, so I am considering a cheapo lightweight gas mower or battery powered.

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH

Anyone here have experience with battery powered mowers?

I like my honda, but the transmission/gearbox quit and the damn thing is super heavy. I have a small back yard with a large pool, trees and landscaping. It is very difficult to maneuver the heavy honda in the back yard, so I am considering a cheapo lightweight gas mower or battery powered.

We have a Neuton. Bought it used for about $100 from a guy moving out of the country. We've had it about 4 years, so it must be something like 7 years old, and just now going to have to replace the batteries, looks like out of 3 is shot & won't hold a change. It's quiet, can handle a small yard on one charge, will cut thick grass if you keep the blade sharp, and is light and easy to maneuver. Don't believe the stuff about the batteries die in a year, if you read up on rechargeable battery care and follow the advice (like trickle charge over the winter) it's fine.

Funny stuff: shopping for replacement batteries online. One guy complains "these says they're for the neuton but they don't fit and they're even the wrong voltage, the neuton takes 36V and these are only 12 V!" Unscrew two screws and open the Neuton 36V battery case, son, whatcha see inside? 3 of these suckers, hooked up in series? How 'bout that!

I'm using John Deere walk-behind that is about 15 years old. One of the drive wheels does not work and it just started burning oil last year. I've been adding STP Stop Leak - seems to help. Prolly going to be looking for an update in the next year or so once the budget allows.

I caught a great deal and scored a Yard Machines five speed 38" riding lawn mower at a garage sale for $200 about three years ago. The owner had kept up the maintenance too. I needed it to replace an OLD John Deere mower/tractor that I loved but would need mucho $ in repairs. I have beaten the crap out of this mower, with minimum maintenance. My trapezoid yard is 80 x 185 x 225 X 175.

With a front propelled mower (walk behind) it used to take 45 minutes for the front/sides and at least 90 minutes for the back. Fifteen years ago, it was great exercise. In 2016, I have to do this kind of work in 45 minute intervals! LOL.

If I was getting a walk behind mower for a SMALL yard I would NOT get a front propelled mower. The drive gears in front are PLASTIC and molded to the wheels. They engage metal gears on the mower, so after a year or two you will be changing the stripped plastic gears/wheels. At the mower parts store, I have been told this was a best seller for them! People forget to release the "drive" feature when turning sharp corners or even backing up. Second issue is the drive belt. Especially on a mulching mower, a lot of grass gets packed in under the cover for the drive belt and pulleys. This has to be cleaned out pretty often (monthly?).

If the belt needs to be replaced, the new belt may not adjust with enough tension to allow the belt from providing a strong "pull". My front drive mower has lasted me almost ten years though, and it was a Sears sale item.

Edited by rockpile

I got a 20 year old Craftsman (Tecumseh engine, Eager-1 I think?)... I can't kill it... Lives on week after week, starts after one pull. What am I doing wrong? I can't justify a new one until the thing dies.

It's all how you use the darn things... I beat the piss out of it, never change the oil, add whatever oil I got open... Leave fuel in it, etc...

Baby it and it dies... ?? The only thing I do is keep it clean after use (hose it off) and clean the air filter (hose that off and let it dry for next use).

I bought a Troy Bilt (Tecumseh) when we bought our house 8 years ago. It's the one with the larger wheels in the back and front wheel drive (which I really don't use much). Still starts on one pull and has zero issues.

One thing I would like to add ... if you haven't yet bought a weed whacker, I highly recommend getting a gas one. My wife bought me a black and decker 18V and it's nice. But it goes through the battery pretty quickly. I have two batteries and always just keep rotating them on the charger, but still ... gas would be far easier. Others may be able to recommend a higher quality battery operated one, but I think, price-wise, you'd be getting into the prices of a decent gas-powered one.

Edited by Gugny

My co-worker has a Honda and he loves it. He would never get anything else.

I have an Troy Bilt with the big rear wheels like Gugny has. 8 years old and running like a top.

Good luck and happy mowing.

Edited by LewPort71

Tecumseh motors rock... I was using my father's 8hp Snow King from 1977 well into the 2000's... Just so damn big for the average 40" a year we get here. I gave it away. Then I picked up my father- in-law's smaller thrower from 1982... Still kicking, 5hp still too damn big, gave that one away too... Now it is just me and the shovel, I can work that all hours of the night and not wake the neighbors.

Mowing is the absolute worse... I rather shovel, throw 10 feet of snow all day then mow a lawn for "aesthetics." Grass is just a weed... Gratuitous waste of time, money pit (fertilizer, etc...) IMO. That's how I view it. Mow it and it is green, be done with it! Make dandelion root tea, soup, or wine... HA! Only in America, dandelions become the bane of the suburbs! ...Even fights cancer. I get too much tractors, mowing, landscaping @ work... I don't wanna come home and work the same crap land. I am thinking about planting an alternative lawn... LMAO!

My advice, don't go down the lawn worm hole:

http://www.planetnatural.com/organic-lawn-care-101/alternatives/

"For many of us in North America, grass is our default planting. If we can’t figure out what to do with an outdoor space, we plant grass, for grass, we assume, can grow anywhere. But turfgrass is simply not the best planting for many sites. It needs mowing, it needs water, it wants fertilizer, many types don’t like shade — it’s pretty picky stuff. It takes a lot of work, water, and fertilizer to keep a lawn looking good."

I ain't no hippy, the world needs chlorine, heavy industry, and Prius repellant (diesel exhaust) too, but stuff like golf courses and lawns are just a waste.

Lawns are so bourgeoisie. I am trying to convince them to stop mowing the lawns in spots @ work. No need to worry, this isn't trees/vegetation on levees and controlling structures in NOLA during Katrina type of importance, LMAO, not really. But the tree hugging bird watchers offered this piece of advice for the too many damn Canadian geese... This time of the year, geese are nesting all over the joint too. The geese get nasty and testy when you stumble upon them. They said to leave the big lawns high in spots, they won't land (predators tend to lay in wait in tall vegetation, so they won't land, just go somewhere else)... The big problem is they land, eat the shortly mowed grass, then walk all over and crap everywhere!

/end_landscaping_rant Now get off my lawn! Did I tell you how much I hate lawns? Tecumseh motors rock!

:D:D

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Tecumseh motors rock... I was using my father's 8hp Snow King from 1977 well into the 2000's... Just so damn big for the average 40" a year we get here. I gave it away. Then I picked up my father- in-law's smaller thrower from 1982... Still kicking, 5hp still too damn big, gave that one away too... Now it is just me and the shovel, I can work that all hours of the night and not wake the neighbors.

Mowing is the absolute worse... I rather shovel, throw 10 feet of snow all day then mow a lawn for "aesthetics." Grass is just a weed... Gratuitous waste of time, money pit (fertilizer, etc...) IMO. That's how I view it. Mow it and it is green, be done with it! Make dandelion root tea, soup, or wine... HA! Only in America, dandelions become the bane of the suburbs! ...Even fights cancer. I get too much tractors, mowing, landscaping @ work... I don't wanna come home and work the same crap land. I am thinking about planting an alternative lawn... LMAO!

My advice, don't go down the lawn worm hole:

http://www.planetnatural.com/organic-lawn-care-101/alternatives/

"For many of us in North America, grass is our default planting. If we can’t figure out what to do with an outdoor space, we plant grass, for grass, we assume, can grow anywhere. But turfgrass is simply not the best planting for many sites. It needs mowing, it needs water, it wants fertilizer, many types don’t like shade — it’s pretty picky stuff. It takes a lot of work, water, and fertilizer to keep a lawn looking good."

I ain't no hippy, the world needs chlorine, heavy industry, and Prius repellant (diesel exhaust) too, but stuff like golf courses and lawns are just a waste.

Lawns are so bourgeoisie. I am trying to convince them to stop mowing the lawns in spots @ work. No need to worry, this isn't trees/vegetation on levees and controlling structures in NOLA during Katrina type of importance, LMAO, not really. But the tree hugging bird watchers offered this piece of advice for the too many damn Canadian geese... This time of the year, geese are nesting all over the joint too. The geese get nasty and testy when you stumble upon them. They said to leave the big lawns high in spots, they won't land (predators tend to lay in wait in tall vegetation, so they won't land, just go somewhere else)... The big problem is they land, eat the shortly mowed grass, then walk all over and crap everywhere!

/end_landscaping_rant Now get off my lawn! Did I tell you how much I hate lawns? Tecumseh motors rock!

:D:D

I think we touched a nerve :flirt:

A note for you and your mower regardless of what you buy:

Try as hard as you can NOT to put ethanol mixed gasoline into it. If you have a spot where you can get regular gasoline without the ethanol, your new small engine will love you for it.

• 4 weeks later...

A note for you and your mower regardless of what you buy:

Try as hard as you can NOT to put ethanol mixed gasoline into it. If you have a spot where you can get regular gasoline without the ethanol, your new small engine will love you for it.

This is so true! I buy the ethanol free gas at Sunoco that is specifically designed for small engine use and does not have any ethanol. It is pricey at $4 per gallon, but ethanol indeed wreaks havoc on small engines. It also has a much longer shelf life.

What did you get Rags?

After bragging on my honda, the transmission quit so I bought a Toro today. I hope it is as reliable as the honda was. Honda still starts first full every time, it's just too heavy, especially with no self drive. I must say that the new Toro is awesome out of the box. Let's just hope she lasts

This is what we picked up today....

http://www.lowes.com/pd_632474-60102-1816-16EW_1z0wgdc__?productId=50329467&pl=1

The lawns really too small to worry about engines, and storing gas, etc. For $100, if we get 3-5 years out of it, it's worth it.

They work great but you can't let the lawn get away from you unless you are a complete beast and can push thru the tall grass.

Best part is that with moderate maintenance they make a nice, perfectly clean cut which is how you get that professional looking lawn without spending thru the nose and constantly tuning up/sharpening a powered mower.

It's like cutting your hair with scissors instead of grinding it off with a flowbee.

What did you get Rags?

After bragging on my honda, the transmission quit so I bought a Toro today. I hope it is as reliable as the honda was. Honda still starts first full every time, it's just too heavy, especially with no self drive. I must say that the new Toro is awesome out of the box. Let's just hope she lasts

i couldn't decide so I'm sticking with my Crapsmen for another year. Next year I'll probably go with an Ariens.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_632474-60102-1816-16EW_1z0wgdc__?productId=50329467&pl=1

The lawns really too small to worry about engines, and storing gas, etc. For $100, if we get 3-5 years out of it, it's worth it.

oil the blades and hand clean them after every cutting with a rag. keep them sharp, healthy.

i couldn't decide so I'm sticking with my Crapsmen for another year. Next year I'll probably go with an Ariens.

why wait until next year?

you have all summer to shop up. learn different machines. maybe even start or push some. just make as many notes as you can. come fall, you'll see tons of models reduced on sale. those reduced on sale could be any type and could be as much as 50% of off. you could end up with a high end model for the price of a moderate unit. you could end up with a moderate unit available for a cheap unit. or even a cheap unit for peanuts. a cheap unit for peanuts - if it only lasts 4 years and costs you >$100?

just be ready in the fall to see whats out there.

Edited by Boyst62

Good choice esp. if you are mowing a small area.

I mowed 0.5 acres in Lewiston until I was 15 and my dad FINALLY bought a power mower.

(He was concerned about safety issues )

Like others said, keep the blades clean and sharp and this will work well.

Just jack....

I tried a push reel mower one year. The problem is, you must have nearly pperfect lawn for those to work well, in my experience. Crab grass lies too low and spread out. Sticks, debris, roots, uneven turf will stop you dead in your tracks. And who the heck is gonna clean and oil the blades after every use?! I hope it works out for you though. The cost and environmental benefits are admirable.