NFL Execs say Bills should get moving on new stadium

Upside of new stadium

-It will ensure that the Bills are here for the next 30 to 40 years and even beyond

-To be candid, a lot of the game day problems go away when PSL and higher price tickets are involved

-PSL can be transferred/resold and tend to go up in value (I live in NJ and did research before buying them for the Giants)

Downside

-Clearly upfront cost

-Unknown quality and location of a new stadium

When Metlife was built we lost a lot of friends who did not have the cast for PSL. That being said, new ones have arrived and pregame activity is just as much fun. While no one really loves Metlife there are very few, if any game day issues. That cannot be said about the old Giant Stadium.

The NFL is a business. If we want the Bills here for our lifetime and our kids, we need the new stadium

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a bunch of hot air. Until 2022, nothing will happen. After that, we have choices. Retrofit the Ralph, downtown, etc. I'm not sure why people would be fearful of the Bills moving from Buffalo.

I wouldn't about it too much and I'm in the camp to keep making the Ralph better. Kansas City, Chicago, and so on. There are other cities that refuse to scrap a stadium with history for a new one. The Bills experience is special in Orchard Park. I think that would be lost downtown. At the end of the day, there is really nothing any of us can do about it. Whenever we decide to build a new one, you guys are right, it will be a lot more expensive on game day.

What's so special about the Ralph?

Upside of new stadium

-It will ensure that the Bills are here for the next 30 to 40 years and even beyond

-To be candid, a lot of the game day problems go away when PSL and higher price tickets are involved

-PSL can be transferred/resold and tend to go up in value (I live in NJ and did research before buying them for the Giants)

Downside

-Clearly upfront cost

-Unknown quality and location of a new stadium

When Metlife was built we lost a lot of friends who did not have the cast for PSL. That being said, new ones have arrived and pregame activity is just as much fun. While no one really loves Metlife there are very few, if any game day issues. That cannot be said about the old Giant Stadium.

The NFL is a business. If we want the Bills here for our lifetime and our kids, we need the new stadium

Nope. Terry and Kim will ensure that, not a new stadium.

The Bills have an issue with the fanbase graying.

The Super Bowl era kids were the first Bills fanbase that was not completely built on the idea of cheap tickets and cheap partying and they are why the stands have been full thru most of this nearly two decades of losing.

But those folks are getting older and leaving that age range where they will spend whatever it takes and entering an age where they are going to be saving money for their kids college and retirement and such.

The next gen that could start to make an impact in 6-7 years could give a sh*t about the Bills. They are a pretty irrelevant franchise.

They gotta' change that to make a new stadium experience work all the way around.........but they gotta' get a new stadium fairly soon that will lure corporate dollars.

Where do you come up with this pile of ****?

First, the Bills have done a fantastic job of reaching into and appealing to a broad geography. Have you researched the demographics from Albany all the way around the lake and into Southern Ontario? It's hardly devoid of only a "non-greying" population.

As for relevance, look at the joy expressed across the region when the Pegula's purchased the franchise and committed to keeping it in Buffalo. Was this hype and bull ****? I think not.

If you want to join the crowd pissing on Buffalo then why do you post here? A change in outlook begins with a change of yourself.

Since Mara's stadium has an additional tenant and he got corporate welfare he is not one who should be talking.

Not to mention the fact that the OLD Giants stadium (which is now a parking lot) still has north of $100M in debt that won't be paid off for another decade. Did anybody bother to ask Mara about that?

Source: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/sports/08stadium.html

I have to wonder if the league is still trying to push the Bills out of Buffalo? They keep harping on revenue like it's a buzzword for "You're market sucks."

The NFL was never trying to push the Bills out of Buffalo. You need to let go of that.

A good friend was a longtime Jets season ticket holder.

His seats (4) were nothing to write home about,

and the Jets wanted him to pony up $26K for PSL's for the move to the new stadium.

He declined.

Do you have deep pockets? The average person in Buffalo does not.

The NFL exec's are blinded by their own stupidity,and greed. They could give a rat's ass about the average Bill's fan.

Vikings and Falcons financed their stadiums with only $100,000,000 in PSLs. For 60,000 season ticket holders, that's $1700 a piece..

Why is this a surprise?

Is Mara alone? No, probably not. If you look at gate receipts for 2015(according to Forbes), Buffalo made $49mm in 2015. The only teams below them in terms of gate receipts were Oakland and St. Louis. Surprise, surprise the 2 teams who tried to move. Let's not forget, ticket revenue is split. Do you think other owners are happy that they are getting less money to go play in Buffalo? Probably not. They want to maximize revenue and believe new stadiums are the way to do it. New stadiums in Detroit and Indy, both small markets, mean they get $5m-$10m more in gate receipts. Do the math, with 40% going into the generic pot of revenue sharing Indy/Detroit are putting $2m-$4m more in each year. And that's just the small market teams, Dallas puts in nearly $20m more.

Right or wrong, owners see new stadiums as a path to more money.

That article made me sick. There's kids all throughout this world with nothing to eat but a handful of billionaires want the Bills to build a new stadium- when the Bills have a perfectly good stadium; Bills fans are happy with the stadium; it doesn't make financial sense for the Bills or certainly WNY to build a new stadium- so that those handful of billionaires can become even richer. Makes me absolutely ashamed to be an NFL fan.

And you sent this from your time warner wifi on your verizon wireless iphone or PC/Laptop using windows explorer - I hate rich people all they do is provide every product I use and conveniently deliver entertainment that I enjoy.

If the team was winning, in the the playoffs and exciting to watch, you'd be surprised what people will pay. They'd probably get lots more money from Toronto fans to start.

Excellent point. I remember when Edwards was QB & they were off to a 4-1 start & SD was in town. Beautiful mid October Sunday temps in the low 70's, perfect football weather. MY wife & her friend came up for the tailgate but didn't have tickets. They decided half way through the tailgate they wanted to go to the game(they were originally just going to drive to our house after the tailgate to watch the game). Couldn't find a ticket for under $250. My point is put a winning team out there for once & you will be surprised how much people are willing to be pay for tickets. I read 2 years ago after Pegula was announce as the owner(it was either the Miami game) the Bills had the highest ticket prices in the secondary market for that week of any team in the league. That included the 49ers were opening their new place that weekend too. There is more money in Buffalo/WNY than people think. Ride around the suburbs & look at some of the subdivisions that have recently been built. My guess is they are nicer than most cities.

Why is this a surprise?

Is Mara alone? No, probably not. If you look at gate receipts for 2015(according to Forbes), Buffalo made $49mm in 2015. The only teams below them in terms of gate receipts were Oakland and St. Louis. Surprise, surprise the 2 teams who tried to move. Let's not forget, ticket revenue is split. Do you think other owners are happy that they are getting less money to go play in Buffalo? Probably not. They want to maximize revenue and believe new stadiums are the way to do it. New stadiums in Detroit and Indy, both small markets, mean they get $5m-$10m more in gate receipts. Do the math, with 40% going into the generic pot of revenue sharing Indy/Detroit are putting $2m-$4m more in each year. And that's just the small market teams, Dallas puts in nearly $20m more.

Right or wrong, owners see new stadiums as a path to more money.

Before any of these decisions are made, I would like to see this franchise resemble a living, breathing NFL franchise and end this experience of futility that has nearly passed the point of statistical impossibility.

If this team can go on a roll for a few years... not even Super Bowl. Just something like the Pittsburgh Pirates. A top 5-8 team in the league, playoffs, a few home playoff games where the crowd/city is put on display with an amazing atmosphere.

They will be able to raise the price of tickets pretty steadily with the current setup.

Edited by May Day 10

Excellent point. I remember when Edwards was QB & they were off to a 4-1 start & SD was in town. Beautiful mid October Sunday temps in the low 70's, perfect football weather. MY wife & her friend came up for the tailgate but didn't have tickets. They decided half way through the tailgate they wanted to go to the game(they were originally just going to drive to our house after the tailgate to watch the game). Couldn't find a ticket for under $250. My point is put a winning team out there for once & you will be surprised how much people are willing to be pay for tickets. I read 2 years ago after Pegula was announce as the owner(it was either the Miami game) the Bills had the highest ticket prices in the secondary market for that week of any team in the league. That included the 49ers were opening their new place that weekend too. There is more money in Buffalo/WNY than people think. Ride around the suburbs & look at some of the subdivisions that have recently been built. My guess is they are nicer than most cities.

Yup. 20 years ago you could have scalped Pats* tickets for $20 each ten minutes before kickoff.

This is a bunch of hot air. Until 2022, nothing will happen. After that, we have choices. Retrofit the Ralph, downtown, etc. I'm not sure why people would be fearful of the Bills moving from Buffalo.

I wouldn't about it too much and I'm in the camp to keep making the Ralph better. Kansas City, Chicago, and so on. There are other cities that refuse to scrap a stadium with history for a new one. The Bills experience is special in Orchard Park. I think that would be lost downtown. At the end of the day, there is really nothing any of us can do about it. Whenever we decide to build a new one, you guys are right, it will be a lot more expensive on game day.

This sums up my feelings.