Bills fire DL coach Karl Dunbar

CNY315

looks like Chad Kelly. I tried to copy n paste the top ten but for some reason it wouldn't work.

number 10 is Brady Gustafson 6'6" 235 maybe the next Wentz, who knows just saying that based on size and school.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/QB

I wouldnt waste a pick on a QB this year unless someone good is there in the 3rd round cough Wentz cough (even though rumor has it the Browns are taking Wentz in the 1st). We have to re-build a defense with Stud LBs, DT/NTs and Safteys in the draft early AND grab a 1a WR that have to all be good enough to start next season. Then we can snag Chad next Draft. If we sign Cardale in the 3rd ill be pissed.

It was pepper Johnson under Schwartz

Awesome. Cudnt remember why he left in the regime change, is he employed somewhere else or do we have a realistic shot at a gift from the Football coaching gods?

Edited by Marty McFly

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lotta speculation that seems to fit some a lot of preconceived notions. It'll be interesting to hear the story of it comes out. I don't think Rex has done a good job overall, but this could have been anything. Weird timing, yes, but that could be for a lot of reasons.

Yep. Maybe Rex fired him because Rex is an idiot. Or maybe he just learned something unfortunate about Dunbar (drug use, alcoholism, or something like that). Or maybe he discovered that Dunbar was working against him behind his back. Or maybe a better DL coach just became available and Rex needed to make room on the staff. Or maybe Dunbar had health issues he needed to address - but wasn't - so Rex wanted to force his hand. Or maybe Dunbar just got into a fist fight with Rex's brother and one of them had to go. Or maybe...

We have no idea what's behind this decision so I don't know how any of us can soundly pass judgment.

it looks like he favorited the RT of a tweet about Mario visiting the Dolphins... The quote on the RT that he favorited says "Yeah Mario!" Or whatever

he said he plans to take the year off from coaching

The Yeah Mario was referring to the "Coach Quote" above it about always playing with effort,,,

I wouldnt waste a pick on a QB this year unless someone good is there in the 3rd round cough Wentz cough (even though rumor has it the Browns are taking Wentz in the 1st). We have to re-build a defense with Stud LBs, DT/NTs and Safteys in the draft early AND grab a 1a WR that have to all be good enough to start next season. Then we can snag Chad next Draft. If we sign Cardale in the 3rd ill be pissed.

Awesome. Cudnt remember why he left in the regime change, is he employed somewhere else or do we have a realistic shot at a gift from the Football coaching gods?

Yea, he's with Jets...he was disappointed that Rex didn't keep him around.

Could be, but who knows what a year will bring, after all Cardale was supposed to be the top guy

The big difference is Cardale played 3 1/2 games. Watson was one of the top recruits in the country and one of the best players in the country twice. He's probably the Heisman favorite. I guess that he could drop some as scouts pick him apart but it appears that he is just getting better. He was phenomenal against Alabama. He's the most "can't miss" guy since Luck IMO.

Yea, he's with Jets...he was disappointed that Rex didn't keep him around.

just curious, when did he say he was disappointed? Clearly something happened with Dunbar this year, but it was obvious IMO that Rex would have made him his DL coach when he came here since he has been with him since 2012. I would have been surprised if he kept pepper over Dunbar who was at the time pretty highly regarded. I guess I wouldn't have expected to stay if I was Pepper. Edited by YoloinOhio

We have absolutely no idea what is going on behind the scenes

For people to make judgements based on the complete lack of information they have on the situation is.....well....I guess typical for TBD.

Please alit from your very high horse. The time for adding/making changes for an NFL coaching staff ended over a month ago (two months ago for non-playoff teams). Their input is vital to the roster make-up for the upcoming season, FA & Draft prospects and new wrinkles of schemes are being drawn up. No, the team hasn't released a 'reason' and they likely won't. It's still; A.) NOT a good thing to dump your DL coach mid-March, and B.) speculation regarding puzzling FO moves is what a fan base does best.

I am not confused that people are freaking out here at TBD. What surprises me is who is freaking out and it's the Rex haters.

Isnt the most logical explanation for the firing that Rex realizes that he needs to change the scheme from last year because it wasn't effective? and that as they prepare to install changes Rex is realizing his previous DL line coach isn't fitting the mold?

You would think they'd be happy.

Rex now had his goofball buddy Weeks in place along with his goofball brother. Even the staunchest pro-lifer can see this fully pregnant defense headed for abortion.

I don't really have a guess as to why they're doing this. Dunbar as a scapegoat would have meant an earlier firing. It could be a personal issue and if it is I wish him well and will cut Rex some slack. Occum's Shaver says it is just Rex being an idiot again.

Maybe Dunbar suggested a way to cut the defensive calls down to something like

Romeo-jumbo-matchstick-stiletto-gap3-5Iron-Warandpeacepage914paragraph5sentencetwoword5-pedicure-flare44-circle

to make it a little easier and Rex objected.

I am not confused that people are freaking out here at TBD. What surprises me is who is freaking out and it's the Rex haters.

Isnt the most logical explanation for the firing that Rex realizes that he needs to change the scheme from last year because it wasn't effective? and that as they prepare to install changes Rex is realizing his previous DL line coach isn't fitting the mold?

You would think they'd be happy.

Except Rex already said he is doubling down on his antiquated crap scheme and trashing any remaining parts of what had been immensely successful. Edited by 4merper4mer

I hope they don't go with Dunbar's assiatant, Jeff Weeks. In "Collision Low Crossers", Weeks was described as being one of Rex's buddies, almost a comic figure that wasn't well respected due to his suspect work ethic.

Yes, he's the yuck-a-buck buddy that was shown tagging along with Rex on his initial tour of the training facilities at OBD. He seemed more interested in and excited about the snack and soda machines than anything.

Well the real story behind Dunbar's release was Rex heard some teenagers stole lawn chairs from Dunbar's property and were using them to fish from late at night. Dunbar knew about it and refused to hit the kids and even worse, didn't threaten their family. Rex couldn't keep him on after he had lost all respect for him... was worried about that affecting his DLine in 2016.

Unless you are a clown named Rex Ryan.

Rex may be a clown but he is usually a very loyal guy, I suspect that there probably is something other than "need to make a change" at the heart of this. Firing him this late in the game makes it tough for him to land another spot elsewhere and that isn't typically Rex's MO.

Pepper is the freaking man....

But I don't see how he comes back. IF he does maybe it's for huge $$ (relative to the position) but I doubt it at this point in the offseason.

You do NOT want to explain to Pepper why you're out there dogging it. The dude is intense and players respect him because of who he is.

Except Rex already said he is doubling down on his antiquated crap scheme and trashing any remaining parts of what had been immensely successful.

You call the D-line last year successful?

Look, I'm not going to absolve Rex and the scheme of all blame, but seriously, Mario calling it in and Kyle being out did not help.