RIP the chop block?

YoloinOhio

@Adamschefter

Big ramifications: NFLs competition committee considering a rule that would eliminate the chop block for 2016 season, per league sources.

Could negatively impact Bills run game/offense... Doomed

Would they only enforce it against the Bills?

Because of injuries?

Where should they draw the line for considering rule changes?

hopefully they draw it here. It would be disastrous for run based offenses.

Chop block is legal now?

only legal on run plays. Illegal on passing plays. They want to eliminate it altogether. Edited by YoloinOhio

only legal on run plays. Illegal on passing plays. They want to eliminate it altogether.

And illegal when the defender is engaged with another offensive player.

I think they have already set good limitations for it.

Under Marrone, I hated that the Bills' linemen would do it in the open field against agile DBs/LBs...it was not effective and frustrated me.

And illegal when the defender is engaged with another offensive player.

I think they have already set good limitations for it.

Under Marrone, I hated that the Bills' linemen would do it in the open field against agile DBs/LBs...it was not effective and frustrated me.

o-linemen were still allowed to do it if they were lined up next to each other to start the play.

I would be interested to know how much the Bills utilized this blocking technique in 2015 with Roman.

Edited by YoloinOhio

only legal on run plays. Illegal on passing plays. They want to eliminate it altogether.

It seems illogical to me that a certain type of block is legal on some plays and not others. When does a passing play turn into a running play and vice versa?

It seems illogical to me that a certain type of block is legal on some plays and not others. When does a passing play turn into a running play and vice versa?

You've entered the NFL Rule Book Grey Area. Have fun.

That article seems to say that it should have been illegal, but the refs got it wrong. Did I interpret that correctly?

You've entered the NFL Rule Book Grey Area. Have fun.

That article seems to say that it should have been illegal, but the refs got it wrong. Did I interpret that correctly?

it said the refs were correct in not flagging him, and he wasn't fined. The NFL said Gio had the ball long enough to become a runner and therefore he wasnt defenseless. Since he wasnt defenseless, he could be hit in the head or neck area, and with the helmet. The ban against use of the crown of the helmet doesnt apply in a bang-bang situation. It requires the person delivering the blow with the crown of the helmet to line up the target. In this case they believe it was "bang-bang."

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard before where OL coach's have said you would NOT be able to effectively run the ball in the NFL without the ability to chop block.

@Adamschefter

Big ramifications: NFLs competition committee considering a rule that would eliminate the chop block for 2016 season, per league sources.

Could negatively impact Bills run game/offense... Doomed

I don't think we could fail to make the playoffs any harder. We're doing a good job of not reaching them without the ramifications of this new rule.

Point is, we can't be any more doomed than we already are. ha.