(Some) Parents of Student Athletes

Gugny

My wife and I were discussing last night about how quickly time has gone by. Our son (our only child) will be a teenager next month and it blows our minds.

Anyway ... we got to talking about his different attempts at sports.

Like most dads, I had dreams of my son being a great athlete - preferably a football and baseball player.

He did baseball for a few years, beginning at the age of 5 (tee ball) and he hated it. It bored him and - to be honest - he was horrible.

He tried wrestling for on season when he was about 7. Again - clearly not his thing and he didn't really enjoy it, let alone have a passion for it.

Earlier this year was his first year in football (7th grade). He's still learning the game and he's not the most physical or athletic kid, but he really seems to enjoy it and wants to try out next year (8th grade is the first year they actually have cuts).

In the meantime, he's fallen in love with music. First the trombone .. now the guitar and bass (drum set soon to follow). He's a natural musician with perfect pitch. He asked me one night to download "Ace of Spades," which I let him do. An hour later, he was playing it on the bass. The first time he even touched a bass guitar was over the summer. He's gifted. More importantly, it's HIS passion.

I've already let him know that there is a chance that he might not make the football team next year. It's competitive and he'll need to work his ass off. He's cool with it and he's optimistic and we're supportive and showing confidence. But we're also making it clear that it's not a given ... AND ... it's okay. Not everyone can be great at everything.

As I've watching him try different sports, what really has struck me has been the parents. Mostly the dads. One, in particular ... this guy's older son is a gifted athlete. I will be shocked if he's not drafted by an MLB team and if he so chose, he could likely go D-II and maybe a small D-I for football. I've seen the kid play and these sports are his passion. I went to high school with his father. He sucked at sports, but always, "made," the team. Never played, though.

This guy also has a son my son's age. This younger son is NOT a gifted athlete. And let me tell you ... his father lets him know it. Yells at him. Berates him. Pushes him way too hard. This kid isn't playing football or baseball because HE wants to. He's playing it because his dick father is trying to live vicariously through him.

I hate that. It takes the enjoyment out of the sport for me. And even my son talks to me about it. How it's not fun to listen to "those kinds of parents" on the sidelines.

I think it's a serious societal problem. Let these kids find their OWN passion. THEN support them. That's how I roll.

1. How will our kids compete with Chinese and their Tiger moms?

b. What if your kid's passion is dungeons and dragons, emo music, Oprah, political correctness, privy excavation, or the band Phish?

3. If not sports, how else will we live vicariously through our children?

4. All of the above.

Good for you Gugny.

I always appreciated how my parents supported me in whatever endeavor I wanted to try. My dad in particular always works hard to get me connections, ideas, and search tools to better understand my passions.

I wasn't great at sports, but I enjoyed being on the team. My parents supported me in that

When I wasn't enjoying my first college, they helped me apply to new schools and took me on tours

When I was having a mid college crisis and took an internship in California before talking to my parents about it, they drove me there and prepared me for the experience.

Having supporting, but strict parents prepared me for the world and allowed me to explore pursuits that I may not have otherwise had the opportunity. I am eternally grateful for that

Same here. My son and daughters "enjoy" sports but they aren't super athletic. My son loved wrestling but was a little over .500 for high school. My older daughter loves running but isn't a premiere athlete. She loves art. My youngest daughter is the athlete in the family (basketball, softball and field hockey) but she would rather just go outside and "play". The one thing my kids all enjoy is theater/plays/musicals...we've been to a few shows at Proctors (Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, etc). I was in shows in school, college and community theater and it is a great experience. My kids enjoy it as well and if they can do that until they are 70-80 yrs old, I'd rather they entertain people than try and hit a curve ball when they get older.

Parents can be brutal...other athletes can be brutal as well. My kids always hear comments from the "better athletes" like "you suck" or "nice one...you're bad" (not necessarily directed at my kids but to others who are trying to get better at a sport). Some of it is joking around, but other kids can certainly take it the wrong way. In the end, the parents are the ones who need to teach their kids to give others the benefit of the doubt. Kids who have never played a certain sport should be commended, not chastised. In our school (K-12 has 600 kids) the teams can barely get enough varsity players for football, baseball, field hockey, etc. One would think the parents would explain to their children "hey, you need to support all members of the team because they are the ones who allow you to have a "team" in the first place". But we have the same issues here Gugny...parents living in their glory days. I sit back with my wife and realize there are other things in life for our kids in the future (like the guitar and drums, theater, flyfishing, etc.) and my kids understand that as well.

I agree that some parents will pressure kids in an attempt to live vicariously through them. I remember when my boys were younger one went out for football, and because he was a big kid, he did pretty good. He loved defense but they wanted him on the offensive line where he had to be more disciplined. He played until freshman year and had a coach who though he was going to be coaching the Giants within the next 3 years. After freshman year, my son said, "I hated this season, but as long as I don't have that coach anymore next year, I'm good". Well, because the team was undefeated, they moved some of the coaches up with the team when he went to JV. Naturally the first guy there was the Offensive line coach who "claimed" my son for the offensive line. My son came home and told us he was done, didn't want to have to deal with this guys head games for another year. As much as I loved watching him, I always said I wouldn't interfere in this stuff, although if he started something, he had to finish it. He had wanted to quit halfway through the year when the coach was playing mind tricks on him and I insisted he had to stick it out since other team members relied on him.

The other guy decided he wanted to try wrestling, this kid is one of those guys that can pick something up, master it, then be bored with it. He started wrestling and the parents get really competitive in that sport. I saw older parents almost having strokes watching their kids get twisted into positions that would probably kill us at our ages. Because that sport is a one-on-one sport, the parents seem to be more invested since the success falls on the kid alone. Some parents would walk out if the kid was losing or not putting in the "expected" effort. It was heartbreaking to see the kid look up and just see mom there and the father walking out the door.

If the kid has a passion for something, it should come through, the key is to encourage it and see where it leads.

My wife and I were discussing last night about how quickly time has gone by. Our son (our only child) will be a teenager next month and it blows our minds.

Anyway ... we got to talking about his different attempts at sports.

Like most dads, I had dreams of my son being a great athlete - preferably a football and baseball player.

He did baseball for a few years, beginning at the age of 5 (tee ball) and he hated it. It bored him and - to be honest - he was horrible.

He tried wrestling for on season when he was about 7. Again - clearly not his thing and he didn't really enjoy it, let alone have a passion for it.

Earlier this year was his first year in football (7th grade). He's still learning the game and he's not the most physical or athletic kid, but he really seems to enjoy it and wants to try out next year (8th grade is the first year they actually have cuts).

In the meantime, he's fallen in love with music. First the trombone .. now the guitar and bass (drum set soon to follow). He's a natural musician with perfect pitch. He asked me one night to download "Ace of Spades," which I let him do. An hour later, he was playing it on the bass. The first time he even touched a bass guitar was over the summer. He's gifted. More importantly, it's HIS passion.

I've already let him know that there is a chance that he might not make the football team next year. It's competitive and he'll need to work his ass off. He's cool with it and he's optimistic and we're supportive and showing confidence. But we're also making it clear that it's not a given ... AND ... it's okay. Not everyone can be great at everything.

As I've watching him try different sports, what really has struck me has been the parents. Mostly the dads. One, in particular ... this guy's older son is a gifted athlete. I will be shocked if he's not drafted by an MLB team and if he so chose, he could likely go D-II and maybe a small D-I for football. I've seen the kid play and these sports are his passion. I went to high school with his father. He sucked at sports, but always, "made," the team. Never played, though.

This guy also has a son my son's age. This younger son is NOT a gifted athlete. And let me tell you ... his father lets him know it. Yells at him. Berates him. Pushes him way too hard. This kid isn't playing football or baseball because HE wants to. He's playing it because his dick father is trying to live vicariously through him.

I hate that. It takes the enjoyment out of the sport for me. And even my son talks to me about it. How it's not fun to listen to "those kinds of parents" on the sidelines.

I think it's a serious societal problem. Let these kids find their OWN passion. THEN support them. That's how I roll.

Good for you Gug!!!

CBF

...because his dick father is trying to live vicariously through him.

I agree completely. Way too much of this stuff in our society. It's cool that your son has found something he loves and he's good at (and that they are the same thing!)

I want my daughter to try lots of things (music, sports, dancing, science,...), not necessarily for her to excel, but so that she has experiences with lots of different things that life has to offer, which ideally will make her more confident and have fun and be healthy and well-rounded, etc...all that good stuff. And hopefully, something will click with her and become a passion. Why the hell a parent would ever want to scream at their kids and force them to do something they don't enjoy is ridiculous to me.

We try to expose my son, who recently turned 6, to as many sports as possible. If he chooses to sign up for a sport, he has to at least finish out the season. The only "sport" he has decided not to play anymore is karate, as it became boring to him. He still plays soccer, baseball, lacrosse, and hockey. This was his first year of organized hockey, and he did quite well and has been selected to be on the travel team next year. He loves it so I am supportive. I always make sure to tell him before every practice/game "I love you....have fun and do your personal best."

I have witnessed some pretty atrocious incidents at hockey practice this year. One Father in particular, who has one son that plays D-1 hockey and another on his way to prep-school to play hockey, is really hard on his youngest son to perform well. The poor kid is 8 years old, and he is not particularly coordinated or athletically gifted. He tries his best, but he is clearly not amongst the best players on his team. I have witnessed this Father verbally berating his son for playing poorly, and on several occasions has been mildly physically abusive (i.e., slap to the back of the head, kick in the butt). It really makes me feel sorry for this kid. No matter how hard he tries he will always be a "failure" in his Father's eyes based on what his siblings have accomplished.

Gug's you should check out the documentary Trophy Kids on Netflix. The parents are pretty over-the-top, but it is a good illustration of what you're talking about.

Man I love reading the thoughts everyone has on this. My son is due in April and I know I have years before I go through this, it helps to see how people are dealing with issues like sports and interests for their kids. I have some idea on how I want to be when he starts playing sports or whatever activities he chooses and most of you have cemented I'm on the right path for it.

Man I love reading the thoughts everyone has on this. My son is due in April and I know I have years before I go through this, it helps to see how people are dealing with issues like sports and interests for their kids. I have some idea on how I want to be when he starts playing sports or whatever activities he chooses and most of you have cemented I'm on the right path for it.

Congrats, Grandpa! Do you know what he's having yet?

Congrats!

Yeah it is a bit different these days. My son since he has been a year old all he wanted to do was have a ball in his hand. He is 12 now. He plays travel baseball, travel basketball & travel hockey & I must say out of all three sports, the most over the top parents are the hockey parents at least around these parts(WNY) & it is not even close. Just the other day I seen a dad(on the opposing team) after the game in the hall shoving one of the assitant coaches because in his view his kid didn't get enough playing time. I really don't like hockey but I do enjoy watching my son play. I just sit back & watch these parents make asses out of themselves on a weekly basis. My son's first love is baseball & he is on one of the better travel teams in the area. I coached his travel team when he was 9 & after the season I had to take myself out of the equation because I realized I was taking some of the fun out of it for him as I was pretty hard on him. It is embarrassing to say but true. So I told him after the season I wasn't going to coach his travel team next year. My son was a bit sad but he understood. So now I sit back in centerfield & try to keep my mouth shut & just let my son have fun & enjoy the game he loves. It actually has worked out great. Me & some of the other dads watch the game in CF, we bring the coolers & grill out & will bbq. It is almost like being at a bills game!

Yeah it is a bit different these days. My son since he has been a year old all he wanted to do was have a ball in his hand. He is 12 now. He plays travel baseball, travel basketball & travel hockey & I must say out of all three sports, the most over the top parents are the hockey parents at least around these parts(WNY) & it is not even close. Just the other day I seen a dad(on the opposing team) after the game in the hall shoving one of the assitant coaches because in his view his kid didn't get enough playing time. I really don't like hockey but I do enjoy watching my son play. I just sit back & watch these parents make asses out of themselves on a weekly basis. My son's first love is baseball & he is on one of the better travel teams in the area. I coached his travel team when he was 9 & after the season I had to take myself out of the equation because I realized I was taking some of the fun out of it for him as I was pretty hard on him. It is embarrassing to say but true. So I told him after the season I wasn't going to coach his travel team next year. My son was a bit sad but he understood. So now I sit back in centerfield & try to keep my mouth shut & just let my son have fun & enjoy the game he loves. It actually has worked out great. Me & some of the other dads watch the game in CF, we bring the coolers & grill out & will bbq. It is almost like being at a bills game!

That's an awesome story.

Congrats man!

My son is due in April too!! Maybe they will share a birthday!

When is the expected due date?

CBF

Daughter played sports in school. Ended up swimming in high school and was given some money to swim for Bentley college, .She swam for them for 2 years.

My son did crew for 4 years in high school. never did sports in college. Never pushed them, let them do what they wanted . went to watch all the time.

Both have done very well in the careers they choose.

Here is what I believe, and what we practice in my home:

The first rule in my household is that you have to do at least one thing that's extra-curricular every season, at least two during the summer, and it has to broad based. It can't be all sports, it can't be all arts, etc. While you are young you are going to expose yourself to a wide range of activities, and involve yourself in a creative and or teamwork setting with lots of different types of people, and you are going to learn about these people, and learn from these people.

The second rule is that you aren't allowed to quit until that thing has run it's course (a sport is a full season, a play is a full production, etc.), because your enlisting has created a voluntary dependence and justified expectation on and of you, and you aren't going to waste the time and resources of other people.

The third rule is that you will always dedicate yourself fully, and give your very best effort to these things that you have chosen to do. How we approach obstacles and challenges is what ultimately defines us as people and becomes our reputation. You only have one name, and you will be recognized by it for the rest of your life, so you'll always want to keep it looking shiny, clean, and new. It is OK to fail. I expect you to fail; but I also expect you to get back up, dust yourself off, and try again. Just as your work ethic and effort define your reputation, your resilience will build your character.

Hopefully, by the time you are done with high school, this experience will have made you: interested in the world around you, hard working, competitive, collaborative, accepting of others and sensitive to who they are people, dependable, and will help you have a keen eye for the things that will and won't interest you as you move forward in to college and adulthood.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Okay, so here is my LAMP post.

My daughter has been a swimmer since age 7, she is 16 now. Always her choice, she just loves it and is passionate as hell about it. Has missed maybe, maybe , 10 practices in 9 years.

She was extremely fast growing up, just missing Jnunior National cuts at age 12 in several events by a second or less. Winning several events over multiple years in both long course and short course state championships, just a really good swimmer.

And then as can happen to girls, hormones and body changes take over. Girls she used to beat in a 500 free by 15 seconds now beat her by 20. Girls she beat even at 14 now have Olympic Triel qualifying times, she has never Achieved any of her Junior Natuonal cuts. During her 14 and 15 year old seasons, it was really painful to watch as I just felt so bad her. everyday she got her ass up for 4:30 Am practice , never missed a weights workout, coach always sending me mails she was hardest worker in group and she regularly led the lane with girls that were much faster than her on race day

But then I learned, while it pained her she was not getting faster, no way was she going to let it affect her or her attitude. She continues to work her ass off every single day and approaches every meet with optimism she can get her cuts. Amazing for me to watch, and I have learned so much from her about facing adversity and never letting circumstances dictate your outcomes. She is always the first one to hug and congratulate every swimmer on her team when they make cuts( how she does that is beyond me) and the first one there to consul when they barely miss. She is always about team first, and if her high school needs her to swim an off event to win the meet, then that's what is needed, even as she runs out of chances to obtain the cuts.

The team had the awards banquet Sunday night and she received a special award the team had voted on and wanted her to get, a new award they had come up with. Her teammates, not the coach. But, once her coach talked about her for 5 minutes and had me and mom in tears , her entire team gave her a standing ovation ! Never been prouder in my life!

I know I gush, and sound like one of those parents I despise...the one who have the perfect little kiddies all going to elite schools. She is not, but I know damn well she is going to hugely successful and make real impacts no matter where she goes to school or ends up doing in her life's journey.

That is what she is getting out of Athletics, and wish every parent could learn from as I have.

Music will get him more broads

Yeah kind of wish I stuck with it. I played all the sports in Jr High and was pretty decent at them all but none in high school. I was a long haired stoner drummer and cook in high school. My dad didn't give a rat's ass if I played sports as long as I showed up on time for work at the restaurant only slightly stoned.

Oh and BTW you know what get's the women more than sports and music? Being able to cook them a really good dinner. :worthy:

Edited by Chef Jim

Okay, so here is my LAMP post.

My daughter has been a swimmer since age 7, she is 16 now. Always her choice, she just loves it and is passionate as hell about it. Has missed maybe, maybe , 10 practices in 9 years.

She was extremely fast growing up, just missing Jnunior National cuts at age 12 in several events by a second or less. Winning several events over multiple years in both long course and short course state championships, just a really good swimmer.

And then as can happen to girls, hormones and body changes take over. Girls she used to beat in a 500 free by 15 seconds now beat her by 20. Girls she beat even at 14 now have Olympic Triel qualifying times, she has never Achieved any of her Junior Natuonal cuts. During her 14 and 15 year old seasons, it was really painful to watch as I just felt so bad her. everyday she got her ass up for 4:30 Am practice , never missed a weights workout, coach always sending me mails she was hardest worker in group and she regularly led the lane with girls that were much faster than her on race day

But then I learned, while it pained her she was not getting faster, no way was she going to let it affect her or her attitude. She continues to work her ass off every single day and approaches every meet with optimism she can get her cuts. Amazing for me to watch, and I have learned so much from her about facing adversity and never letting circumstances dictate your outcomes. She is always the first one to hug and congratulate every swimmer on her team when they make cuts( how she does that is beyond me) and the first one there to consul when they barely miss. She is always about team first, and if her high school needs her to swim an off event to win the meet, then that's what is needed, even as she runs out of chances to obtain the cuts.

The team had the awards banquet Sunday night and she received a special award the team had voted on and wanted her to get, a new award they had come up with. Her teammates, not the coach. But, once her coach talked about her for 5 minutes and had me and mom in tears , her entire team gave her a standing ovation ! Never been prouder in my life!

I know I gush, and sound like one of those parents I despise...the one who have the perfect little kiddies all going to elite schools. She is not, but I know damn well she is going to hugely successful and make real impacts no matter where she goes to school or ends up doing in her life's journey.

That is what she is getting out of Athletics, and wish every parent could learn from as I have.

You raised "Rudy". That's awesome.

One thing I find unfortunate is the specialization that kids have today. Sometimes I think parents feel they need to force a kid to play one sport from the time they are 5 years old. I played 3 sports all 4 yrs in HS (my wife 4), and one thing we did with our kids was get them involved in multiple sports and purposely try to not have them specialize in one.

My daughter was always a good athlete, and an especially gifted basketball player when she was younger. She decided when she entered HS she was going to play 3 sports, even though some people told her she should just focus on basketball, and it wouldn't be possible to actually play three sports at the HS we go to (which is a very large, competitive school and has won the state award for the top sports program in the state for the last six straight years).

Before she got to HS I also had parents and coaches telling me she needed to focus just on basketball - but that's not what my daughter wanted to do - and honestly it's not what I wanted her to do. What she loves most is just playing the different games and especially the camaraderie and friendships she gets on the different teams.

It is extremely difficult to play three sports nowadays (much more so than when I did it over 30 yrs ago) - especially at a high level. Pretty much all the top girls she plays with and against play one sport year-round. Add to that, all three of the sports she plays involve skills and mastery with a ball (Volleyball, Basketball, Lacrosse). Many top HS teams have essentially year-round training now - her summers have been spent with countless camps, clinics, leagues, practices, and workouts for all three sports - sometimes for multiple sports in the same day.

My LAMP is that in the age of specialization, my daughter will have played three sports all four years in HS (at and against the largest school classification / highest competition), and will have earned 10 varsity letters across the three sports with a couple all-conference honors along the way (extra LAMP that she's an honor student with a 4.8 weighted GPA - oh and just an overall great kid :) ). There is no doubt that if she specialized in one sport she would have stood out more in that particular sport and gotten more accolades - but that's not what she is interested in at all. She just wanted to play the games and have fun with her teammates. She won't get any special recognition for what she did, but as someone who has been around youth sports for a long time, I can tell you there aren't very many high school athletes who could have accomplished what she did in her situation.

On the subject of parents, like most I've met some incredible a-holes along the way. The one situation that sticks out to me was when I was helping coach one of my daughter's AAU teams when she was younger. There was this mother-daughter pair who were always conspiring in ways to make the girl look better and promote her. They especially hated me, because I would call her out when she would routinely cheat in drills in practice to try to make herself look better (and it drove them insane that my daughter started at point guard over her). They actually started this little (unsuccessful) campaign to spread lies about me so that I would be removed as a coach. Just not good people. And I've watched this girl (and her mother) play the system over the years. Now she is a 'star' HS player in the area (in that she gets a lot of points) but her teams always suck because all she does is shoot and could care less about anything but her stats. Every time I have a discussion with a parent that has crossed this girl's path let's just say they have nothing positive to say. But her and her witch Mom got what they wanted because now she's a 'star'.

Congratulations to you, both! Are you going to make them Bills fans, or will you be nice?

My cousin is raising his sons to be Bills fans. I called CPS, repeatedly. They said that while frowned upon it doesn't meet the full criteria of child abuse and now they are no longer accepting my calls.

Edited by Jauronimo