NFL.com: Buffalo Bills All-time underrated, overrated player

truth on hold

Agreed. Beebe was a #3 WR and he was good at it. He is not overrated

Everyone loves Don Beebe...I would say he is overrated amongst Bills fans, at least. He is the classic example of the guy who would make the eye-popping "circus catch" every few games, but then drop some of the easiest passes...he was very erratic, to be fair.

I am noticing that a lot of really great Bills players from the Super Bowl era are being lumped into the "overrated" category...not the first time I have wondered if I watched the same teams as some of you...or does time and exposure to really bad/mediocre football really erode our memories of good teams and players.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The writer is overating his opinions. As noted up-thread Fergy played most of the San Diego game on a bad ankle, it was a gutty performance for anyone old enough to remember that game, and it was the Bills' D that lost it by not covering properly in the secondary. He also needs to look up better stats for Beebe....he DIDN'T PLAY in SB XXV due to a broken leg suffered earlier in the playoffs. So that means he played in 5 SBs not six, and missed another playoff game that same year. I wish these guys would do their homework.

Over - Antoine Winfield. The guy could tackle but was not a cover corner. I have no idea how he ended up in pro bowls.

Under - Fred Smerlas. For his size during his era, he played bigger. Pretty damned good nose tackle at 277 lbs.

Overrated - Lee Evans.

Had one good year. Average the rest of the time. Maybe it's one the QB selection, but sorry, he was in the league a long time and barely put up #1 WR numbers.

Underrated: Phil Hansen

If a DE gets between 7 - 10 sacks on average for your career, you're someone that the league looks at. But, when you play opposite Bruce on the DL, you are normally overlooked.

Over - Antoine Winfield. The guy could tackle but was not a cover corner. I have no idea how he ended up in pro bowls.

Under - Fred Smerlas. For his size during his era, he played bigger. Pretty damned good nose tackle at 277 lbs.

I agree on Winfield. CBs don't excel when they are tackling CBs. Have that many tackles as a CB is poor play.

Like some of the best corners in the game, Winnfield got better and better each year...when he left Buffalo, his game went to another level as a Viking. Looking at stats never tells the whole story. Winnfield was a great tackler, and was a great run supporter....jeez...these kind of threads always get my blood boiling. This team, frankly, has been mostly garbage (much as I love them) for 15+ years..its' a team game...there have been some fine football players in Buffalo over the past 15 year, just never enough of them at one time...I once heard Joe Montana opine that had he not ended up in San Francisco, when he did, he very well might have never had the great NFL career he had.

Edited by Buftex

As soon as I saw the topic the first thought that popped into my head for overrated was Cornelius Bennett. Yes, he was a two-time defensive player of the year (yet isn't in the HoF), but the attention paid to Bruce Smith freed Biscuit in the same way it allowed Bryce Paup to win DPoY in 1995.

Underrated, I would have to say John Fina. He was plugged into left tackle as a late first round pick in 1992 and while he never made a Pro Bowl, he was a cornerstone on a team that made the playoffs 5 of the 10 years he was a Bill.

Ben Gregory was acquired in a trade with Denver for Cookie Gilchrist. Al Bemiller the center was asked at a charity event how good was Gregory compared to Gilchrist? His response was Gregrory wasn't good enough to wear Cookie's jock strap. Gregory was a superb receiver for a back and was a very effective on swing passes.

I am sorry but I can't let Bills history be so inaccurate. Cookie was traded for Billy Joe. Ben Gregory was a draft choice out of Nebraska who played in the same backfield with another underrated player Mini Max Anderson a couple of years later. If Bemiller said that it had to be about Billy Joe.

Agreed. Beebe was a #3 WR and he was good at it. He is not overrated

Lofton is in the Hall of Fame. I highly doubt there are that many people that overlook him. Especially Bills fans.

Maybe that's why Beebe is seen as underrated. He was a competent #3. Look at some of the other 3s the franchise has rolled out there. TJ graham, hogan, Bernard ford, josh reed, trumaine johnson, marquise goodwin. You might throw James Hardy into the mix, but he was drafted as a 2 and doesn't count. Jeesh Edited by Charles Romes

Like some of the best corners in the game, Winnfield got better and better each year...when he left Buffalo, his game went to another level as a Viking. Looking at stats never tells the whole story. Winnfield was a great tackler, and was a great run supporter....jeez...these kind of threads always get my blood boiling. This team, frankly, has been mostly garbage (much as I love them) for 15+ years..its' a team game...there have been some fine football players in Buffalo over the past 15 year, just never enough of them at one time...I once heard Joe Montana opine that had he not ended up in San Francisco, when he did, he very well might have never had the great NFL career he had.

Not to be pedantic or anything, but your ode to Antoine Winfield would have been more convincing if you had bothered to spell his surname correctly.

Underrated, I would have to say John Fina. He was plugged into left tackle as a late first round pick in 1992 and while he never made a Pro Bowl, he was a cornerstone on a team that made the playoffs 5 of the 10 years he was a Bill.

Fina was horrible as time went on. He was small and weak. It was as if he was shrinking as the league got bigger. And don't forget, they actually made him the "franchise player."

It seems to me some people are confusing BUST with Over/Under rated. Patulski, Mike Williams, Losman, Hardy, and a nameless OLB were BUSTS. Ergo, not over-rated with the exception of the scouts..

Joe O'Donnell was under-rated, IMO. A steady, long time OL starter on good, Great & bad teams. He flew under the radar of Shaw & Barber but was a steady, solid player throughout his career. Glenn Bass and Wray Carlton from that era were solid WR & RB, playing under Dubenion's and Gilchrest/Joe's shadow.

Not to be pedantic or anything, but your ode to Antoine Winfield would have been more convincing if you had bothered to spell his surname correctly.

Oh....okay...your right....I guess that means he sucked! Not being pedantic, or anything. :rolleyes:

It seems to me some people are confusing BUST with Over/Under rated. Patulski, Mike Williams, Losman, Hardy, and a nameless OLB were BUSTS. Ergo, not over-rated with the exception of the scouts..

Joe O'Donnell was under-rated, IMO. A steady, long time OL starter on good, Great & bad teams. He flew under the radar of Shaw & Barber but was a steady, solid player throughout his career. Glenn Bass and Wray Carlton from that era were solid WR & RB, playing under Dubenion's and Gilchrest/Joe's shadow.

I think that is where the confusion lies...who is doing the over or under rating?

I guess there will never be a right answer on this bar stool debate, but FWIW I still contend Smerlas was one of our most underrated defensive players, and the impact he made to the team.

Overrated for me was Peerless Price. that came out as he went to Atlanta. There are others.

i would also say so many of our OL back in the early 90's are underrated. No one talks about them as a unit like the Hogs of Washington, the Cowboys, and so on. I've always felt House Ballard, Jim Ritcher, Wil Wolford, Kent Hull are HOF type guys. Not that they will ever be inducted into the HOF, but they were special and a big reason why Thurmon was so special as with any other fantastic RB.

Underrated: Antowain Smith

Overrated: Rob Johnson

I'm not sure how Rob Johnson could possibly be overrated when he is one of the most shat upon QBs in Bills history. Unless you mean that people see him as a 3 out of 10 when he really was a 0.

Ben Gregory was acquired in a trade with Denver for Cookie Gilchrist. Al Bemiller the center was asked at a charity event how good was Gregory compared to Gilchrist? His response was Gregrory wasn't good enough to wear Cookie's jock strap. Gregory was a superb receiver for a back and was a very effective on swing passes.

I may be wrong but wasn't the fullback we received for Gilchrist Billy Joe? He sounds a lot like your description of Gregory though.

I think the most underrated of that era given his HUGE role in the AFC championships was tight end Ernie Warlick.

The most underrated player on defense was cornerback Robert James. He did make three pro bowls but I think the quality of his play was hall of fame worthy had he been on another team.

Overrated HAS to be Rob Johnson. Defensively I would go with Shane Nelson.

I may be wrong but wasn't the fullback we received for Gilchrist Billy Joe? He sounds a lot like your description of Gregory though.

I think the most underrated of that era given his HUGE role in the AFC championships was tight end Ernie Warlick.

The most underrated player on defense was cornerback Robert James. He did make three pro bowls but I think the quality of his play was hall of fame worthy had he been on another team.

We drafted Gregory, I believe, because he was a rookie with the Bills. And he was a good one.

You can't compare Gregory with Cookie as a runner because few compared to Cookie. Plus Gregory only played a short time with the Bills until he got injured. But he really impressed in that short period. I recall that the day after Gregory tore up his knee one of the News columnist stated that he was pretty distraught because he foresaw big things for Gregory. Speaking of Cookie, for those not familiar with that era, the day he arrived in camp he was driving a gold Cadillac convertible with "Lookie, lookie here comes Cookie" painted on the side.

Billy Brooks was underrated. He wasn't fast but he was fearless going over the middle, and he could catch the ball.

You are right and I am wrong. I apologize for the inaccuracy. The McCoy thread got me unhinged and dizzy. I agree with you that Robert James was a terrific corner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Joe_(American_football)

We drafted Gregory, I believe, because he was a rookie with the Bills. And he was a good one.

You can't compare Gregory with Cookie as a runner because few compared to Cookie. Plus Gregory only played a short time with the Bills until he got injured. But he really impressed in that short period. I recall that the day after Gregory tore up his knee one of the News columnist stated that he was pretty distraught because he foresaw big things for Gregory. Speaking of Cookie, for those not familiar with that era, the day he arrived in camp he was driving a gold Cadillac convertible with "Lookie, lookie here comes Cookie" painted on the side.

Billy Brooks was underrated. He wasn't fast but he was fearless going over the middle, and he could catch the ball.

As I told TennesseBoy I was wrong when I stated that Gregory was involved in the trade for Cookie. It was Billie Joe who was involved in that transaction with Denver.

Lou Saban coaching Cookie was a very combustible dynamic! Lou couldn't stay at one place for too long. A very unique (eccentric) personality. If I'm not mistaken Pegula put him on the Wall with his daughters present. It was a generous gesture for such a mercurial man who had a meaningful presence in the history of the franchise.

Edited by JohnC