Rob Ryan joining Bills staff

FluffHead

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is because I think he is a terrible coach.

A terrible coach in general, or a terrible coordinator? He has a history of being a good coach - why do you think he's terrible? He was good enough for New England while winning Super Bowls. Unless he is a coordinator, which he wasn't good at in his last stint, I'm not sure where the "terrible" evaluation comes from and just curious.

Nope. Rob Ryan has been run out of several organizations because of how bad his defenses have been. outside of 2006 with the raiders. Rob Ryan has been DC of defneses that ranked at best 16th.

Actually his best defense was ranked 4th. But he was run out of 2 teams as the DC. Was he ever "run out" of anywhere as a position coach or assistant coach that wasn't a coordinator? Ken Whisenhunt was run out of two teams as the HC. Does that mean the Chargers shouldn't make him their offensive coordinator? Jim O'Neill was a good position coach in Buffalo and a bad DC in Cleveland. Sometimes a coach is best in a particular role with a certain level of responsibility.

Edited by Cleveland Rocks?

Minus the fact that he's not been particularly good

You are more familiar with the Saints' roster than most of us are. Was the talent level on the defensive side of the ball so deficient that coaching wasn't a significant factor for its defensive troubles?

Is Rob Ryan wedded to a particular scheme?

My worry with Rob added to the staff or not is whether the Rex approach will continue to focus on making his scheme work rather than adjusting his scheme to the talent on hand.

I'm not overly upset with the addition of the coach's brother to the staff. That is not to say I believe that the HC is using good judgment in bringing his brother on board. My position on Rex before he was hired and after he was hired is still the same. He he is a mediocre coach who will generate a lot of noise but accomplish little.

First off, the man's been fired twice for being a joke on the defensive side of the ball.

Second, what organizations allow people to hire family like this? Seriously, who signed off on this?

This is an absolute joke

Uuuuuuhm, the Grudens coached together. The shananans coached together. Just off the top of my head.

Its the NFL, theres nepotism everywhere.

Actually his best defense was ranked 4th. But he was run out of 2 teams as the DC. Ken Whisenhunt was run out of two teams as the HC. Does that mean the Chargers shouldn't make him their offensive coordinator? Sometimes a coach is best in a particular role.

That's a fair point. Rob may not be able to get all the pieces to work correctly in a defense but that doesn't mean he can't help with fundamentals or spotting weaknesses.

I am not impressed with Rob but I think it is a mistake to micro-manage team leaders. I hate when a GM or owner restricts who a head coach chooses for his staff. If you hire a guy you have to let him do it his way and then manage him by his results. If the defense is as bad next year as it was this year we should be completely Ryanless.

how do I know he isn't the DC? Because that's not his title and we already have one.

@viccarucci

Apparently there's no change to the role of #Bills DC Dennis Thurman. Anthony Lynn remains assistant head coach/running backs.

I'm really happy that Thurman's role, whatever that may entail, hasn't changed.

I'll get behind the hire, it's what I do, but...I really don't like it at this moment in time. He (like Rex) has shown himself to be extremely scheme specific, not willing/able to adjust. That's a tough thing in the NFL where the rules favor the offense to begin with. If you don't put your people in the best position to succeed you may as well send them onto the field with both hands tied behind their backs.

At least we'll lead the league in hyperbole.

@JoeBuscaglia

#Bills HC Rex Ryan on ESPN Radio on the defense: "We're going to do things much differently next year, and we're going to be much better"

#Bills HC Rex Ryan said on ESPN Radio that they won't try to merge like what was done defensively in 2014. Going to run his defense.

@viccarucci

Ryan says #Bills will be "all in" w his defensive scheme rather than trying to "merge" what was done in 2014.

@SalSports

Rex said the Bills got better yesterday by hiring his brother Rob and "nobody works harder" than him.

Well at least next season our expectations as fans will probably be exceeded as of now we pretty much have NONE... This hire certainly will not help season ticket sales.

The assistant coaching staff affects season ticket sales in Buffalo? We don't have a head coach or a QB. Like, at all. And fans still buy season tickets.

Edited by Cleveland Rocks?

Well at least next season our expectations as fans will probably be exceeded as of now we pretty much have NONE... This hire certainly will not help season ticket sales.

aren't seasons at the cutoff number and there is a waiting list?

@JoeBuscaglia

#Bills HC Rex Ryan on ESPN Radio on the defense: "We're going to do things much differently next year, and we're going to be much better"

#Bills HC Rex Ryan said on ESPN Radio that they won't try to merge like what was done defensively in 2014. Going to run his defense.

@viccarucci

Ryan says #Bills will be "all in" w his defensive scheme rather than trying to "merge" what was done in 2014.

@SalSports

Rex said the Bills got better yesterday by hiring his brother Rob and "nobody works harder" than him.

Thanks for posting those.

I hear more excuses in his "merge" comments.

Thanks for posting those.

I hear more excuses in his "merge" comments.

Isn't that what happened in '15? He ran a hybrid of his system and Schwartz's system and it failed. You don't want him to acknowledge the obvious?

The assistant coaching staff affects season ticket sales in Buffalo? We don't have a head coach or a QB. Like, at all. And fans still buy season tickets.

Season tickets are sold based upon fans expectations of seeing winning football. Hiring the worst defensive coordinator in the NFL doesn't enhance those expectations one bit. That shouldn't have been too complicated to understand but I clarified just in case I wasn't clear enough.

Season tickets are sold based upon fans expectations of seeing winning football. Hiring the worst defensive coordinator in the NFL doesn't enhance those expectations one bit. That shouldn't have been too complicated to understand but I clarified just in case I wasn't clear enough.

But what if you hired him to be something other than the DC. We hired Jim Schwartz, arguably the worst HC in football, and he performed admirably as a DC.

@JoeBuscaglia

@viccarucci

@SalSports

In the hole big, like any (troubled) gambler, Rex doubles down his bets with his gigantic yapper.

But what if you hired him to be something other than the DC. We hired Jim Schwartz, arguably the worst HC in football, and he performed admirably as a DC.

We shall see I guess but this does nothing to improve my expectations...

Isn't that what happened in '15? He ran a hybrid of his system and Schwartz's system and it failed. You don't want him to acknowledge the obvious?

The sad part of 2015 is that it appears Rex was actually trying to adapt and not come in as the "this is my defense and I know what works" blowhard who ignores how good the D was in 2014. Turns out he should have done exactly that.

The sad part of 2015 is that it appears Rex was actually trying to adapt and not come in as the "this is my defense and I know what works" blowhard who ignores how good the D was in 2014. Turns out he should have done exactly that.

He could have, but he didn't have the MLB to run the Schwartz D, and didn't have the NT & MLB to run his system. I know, excuses, excuses.

If he acknowledged the obvious, he would admit he is not HC material, imho.

He is such a manipulator, so I don't trust what he says most of the time.

So I believe he also said that to take a shot at all those who criticize him for not keeping Schwartz's scheme intact.

He could have, but he didn't have the MLB to run the Schwartz D, and didn't have the NT & MLB to run his system. I know, excuses, excuses.

Then he should have come in saying to Whaley, I need a NT and a MLB, not "with the players we have on D, I think #4 is kind of disappointing" or "I fit my scheme to the players, I'm not a scheme guy".

Not sure why the snark? He's not the coordinator, that was why I wondered why it would matter to season ticket sales.

Not in Buffalo. They are sold on the fans expectations of tailgating and the fact that the team is still in Buffalo,

I just heard Rex on Mike and Mike and one thing he said made a lot of sense. He said that this year they tried to make the defense a combination of what the Bills had been last year and the defense he was bringing in. When you do anything half way, it is sure to be a disaster. While I was not a huge fan of the Rex hire, if you are going to go Ryan, push your chips to the middle and go Ryan all the way....and see what happens.

Or he's making excuses.

Either way...2016 here we come!!!

Then he should have come in saying to Whaley, I need a NT and a MLB, not "with the players we have on D, I think #4 is kind of disappointing" or "I fit my scheme to the players, I'm not a scheme guy".

Because he probably honestly believed that he had the players in house that could execute the hybrid system he was employing. In the end, his bluster and overconfidence blinded him to the basic managerial failure of managing change. I'm guessing he had no idea he'd have a near mutiny on his hands.

This is the worst move the Pagulas ever let anyone make. Terry and Kim should have said no. Brandon and Whaley should have said no. Next season will be nothing but a **** show. Absolutely stupid move.

I'm not sure. If (let's say) Ryan is on a short leash, "no excuses"....then one strategy is to give a guy his head, give him absolutely everything he asks for, and judge the tree by the fruit.