2016 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class Announced

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin Greene? Was he really that good?

I'm skeptical of Edgerrin James being in the HOF.

I remember Greene being a sack monster but other than that (and that is a big that) I don't remember him being a dominant force in the other facets but mine is a very casual remembrance.

Kevin Greene was very good for a lot of years, but the HOF should be reserved for only the best of the best and I don't think he fit that criterion. If you asked any really astute football fan or coach who were the best LBers of Greene's era you probably wouldn't hear his name mentioned often in the top 3-4.

I think Stabler could get in as a geezer.

Farve, Kurt Warner, Orlando Pace, and Tony Dungy probably will.

I think Don Coryell should be already in the HOF.

No to TO for now, but he'll get in, just not on the first time.

From that list, I think Favre is a lock.

Pace should also be a HOF'er.

The rest are debatable.

T.O. Probably belongs in. Maybe not on first ballot.

Harrison - borderline

Atwater was good. Not sure HOF worthy

Terrell Davis was great but injuries shortened his career. Probably belongs in.

Warner is debatable too. Very good for a while, but just don't know. Probably belongs in at some point.

Morten Anderson should get in.

Lynch should get in

Atwater, maybe.

Faneca, Jacoby, Dungy, Greene, James - probably not worthy.

I thought Coryel was already in. Probably should be.

TO should be a first ballot HOF'er for sure. His number get him in now.

Has any HC lost more playoff games than Dungy?

Favre is easy, but will Warner get in this year with Favre?

Coryell is experiencing the bias against coaches who couldn't get to the show. But when you look at the HOF coaches from that Gillman tree, he is in some great company.

GO BILLS!!!

Kevin Greene is 3rd all time in sacks.......

I think Greene / Favre / Warner / Pace will make it. There's been a recent emphasis on WRs because there's a bit of a log jam, so that could help Harrison (or TO). I do wonder if Harrison's involvement in the supposed murder investigation and that he's disappeared a bit since that incident will harm his inclusion.

• 4 weeks later...
'Out-and-out ridiculous'
Former St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz weighed in on Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt's snub from the Hall of Fame finalist ballot and Terrell Owens leapfrogging the two into the finals, calling it 'plain out-and-out ridiculous.'

Not surprising given how closely associated Bruce and Holt are with Marttz.

Martz is right to stand up for his guys, but it's the Hall of FAME. Put Bruce and Holt together, and they still don't come close to equalling TO.

TO was a selfish player who battled the media and never got a ring. Holt made more pro bowls during the same era, and was a very consistent reason they were good to competitive from year to year. One thing that speaks volumes is target completion rate, where Holt was significantly better than TO. If I was any one associated with Lambs during that era, I'd be fighting for Holt for sure

TO should be a first ballot HOF'er for sure. His number get him in now.

Has any HC lost more playoff games than Dungy?

Favre is easy, but will Warner get in this year with Favre?

If Dungy lost a lot of playoff games, it's because he went to the playoffs a lot. And each year all but one playoff run ends in a loss. In other words, the vast majority of good coaches end their seasons with a playoff loss. The bad coaches end up without playoff appearances.

Dungy, on the other hand, is the only HC in NFL history to go to the playoffs 10 consecutive years. Think of all the great coaches in NFL history who can't match that feat. It's pretty amazing, especially when you consider Dungy did it with two different teams.

He has a 139-69 lifetime record as a HC. IMHO, he's very HOF worthy. One of the most worthy on this year's list.

And I'm hoping The Snake gets in as an old-timer.

Edited by hondo in seattle

It sure is nice that Andre Reed is in, and we don't have that annual angst about lack of respect for him. He certainly deserves to be in and it was terrible it took so long. Tasker, and Kent Hull for that matter, I'd like to see in, but neither has a good chance, I'm afraid.

Coryell won more than 100 games as a college coach and again as a NFL coach. But that's not why he deserves to be enshrined.

The guy changed football forever with "Air Coryell" and the "West Coast" offense. It was Coryell, more than anyone else, who made the QB the focal point of modern offenses. His innovations increased scoring and thus made football more exciting & popular.

His coaching tree includes Joe Gibbs, Bill Walsh, John Madden (first gen), Norv Turner, and Mike Martz (2nd gen) among others. Every OC today has incorporated at least some Coryell ideas.

It's been argued that the nickel and dime defenses so prevalent in modern football were developed to counter Coryell's offensive innovations. So Coryell, in the end, revolutionized both offensive and defensive football.

Giving his influence on the game, I'm not sure how Coryell doesn't deserve a spot in Canton.

No Steve Tasker?

No. Steve Tasker had a strong advocate before but no more from Buffalo News. Many of the voters who used to vote him into top lists are not voters anymore and the current ones do not see how he changed the special teams game unfortunately.

Obvious choices for me are Favre and TO. I'd also vote for Warner, Orlando Pace, Eddie DeBartolo as a contributor, and Stabler as a senior candidate.

Eddie DeBartolo who contributed to NFL salary cap breaking?

The "hate" on T.O is "ridiculous"!!! The man was a beast of a receiver and his numbers prove it!! They rank up there with the best all-time. Not only was he a great receiver, but he helped put the "fun" in the NFL (NO FUN LEAGUE). Who can forget the pom poms? Or the use of the Sharpie? The standing in the middle of the Dallas star was one of my favorite, but the best was the popcorn. "Get your popcorn ready" is a phrase that will live in infamy!!

Hondo is right--Coryell HAS to be in the HOF. He is one of only a few true innovators in a game that rarely changes.

Favre and Warner are locks.

TO is a first ballot IN.

If there is a category for HC's who squandered more talent and opportunities in the post season, Dungy should be in for sure.

Pace? Seems like OT has been well represented the past decade (Larry Allen, Walter Jones, Ogden, Roaf).

Harrison should get in.

Greene probably in (he's never going to get in otherwise--5th time).

Anderson should get in.

I thought Orlando Pace should have been a first ballot guy last year and was shocked when he wasn't. He was the best player in the greatest show on turf in my estimation and level with Faulk as being the most important in that offense operating smoothly. Kurt Warner was a great QB and he will get into the Hall whether this year or next - but he was able to stand back there and pick his targets because he had a HoF worthy left tackle locking down his blindside. If Favre wasn't eligible this year I think Warner would be a certainty. I'd like to think he makes it anyway. It is called the Hall of Fame remember.... and there are few stories more famous in the annuls of NFL history than the backup Quarterback who went from stacking shelves to being MVP and Superbowl Champion..... then when everyone thought he was washed up he took the Arizona Cardinals to a Superbowl. I'd vote for him but wouldn't be shocked if they made him wait.

Agree with the consensus that Favre and Coryell are musts. I'm split on whether TO is a 1st ballot guy. I think on talent alone he probably is and should go in. Let me put it this way - if they are putting in a receiver to help keep the backlog clear then it should be TO before Harrison.

I thought Orlando Pace should have been a first ballot guy last year and was shocked when he wasn't. He was the best player in the greatest show on turf in my estimation and level with Faulk as being the most important in that offense operating smoothly. Kurt Warner was a great QB and he will get into the Hall whether this year or next - but he was able to stand back there and pick his targets because he had a HoF worthy left tackle locking down his blindside. If Favre wasn't eligible this year I think Warner would be a certainty. I'd like to think he makes it anyway. It is called the Hall of Fame remember.... and there are few stories more famous in the annuls of NFL history than the backup Quarterback who went from stacking shelves to being MVP and Superbowl Champion..... then when everyone thought he was washed up he took the Arizona Cardinals to a Superbowl. I'd vote for him but wouldn't be shocked if they made him wait.

Agree with the consensus that Favre and Coryell are musts. I'm split on whether TO is a 1st ballot guy. I think on talent alone he probably is and should go in. Let me put it this way - if they are putting in a receiver to help keep the backlog clear then it should be TO before Harrison.

I disagree. The Mike Martz offense was high risk/reward and required the QB to take a lot of hits. It was predicated on sending everyone out and letting Warner take advantage of blitzing defenses to find the uncovered man. It therefore required that Warner take a beating, Pace or no Pace. That offense was completely on Warner throwing to spots and WRs getting to those spots quickly.

Hondo is right--Coryell HAS to be in the HOF. He is one of only a few true innovators in a game that rarely changes.

Favre and Warner are locks.

TO is a first ballot IN.

If there is a category for HC's who squandered more talent and opportunities in the post season, Dungy should be in for sure.

I agree with all of this. The anti-TO stuff is absurd. I also think Dungy has always been overrated, but he'll get in at some point.

I'll play. my 5 are as follows:

• Favre
  • Pace
  • Greene
  • Faneca
  • Harrison

Terell Owens deserves it for on the field accomplishments, but him being such a tool off the field will hold him back a year or two. Warner will get in within the next couple of years and helps him he is one of the faces of the NFLN. Keeps him right in front of the media and public. It doesn't hurt he is one nice, decent family guy. They are not supposed to let the voters affect them, but it does. Why didn't Parcels get in the first time? Because he was antagonistic to the media.

I see Stabler getting honored for the legacy guys. You wonder if somehow the NFL exerts some influence given the recent report of his 3rd degree CTE coming out. Probably conspiracy theory stuff, but you never know.

Dungy is a great guy, attends one of my buddies church, really is as nice as he comes across on TV, did win one SB. Here in Tampa people are conflicted because he turned around the franchise, but his football was Marty Ball and he couldn't get us tot he SB. He did it in Indy, but he inherited the best offense in football, and only turned their crappy defense into average.

Lastly, they are never going to forgive Debartalo for the stuff 25 years ago. He's like the Pete Rose of NFL owners. In Tampa, which is his family's home, he is loved.

I'll play. my 5 are as follows:

• Favre
  • Pace
  • Greene
  • Faneca
  • Harrison

Terell Owens deserves it for on the field accomplishments, but him being such a tool off the field will hold him back a year or two. Warner will get in within the next couple of years and helps him he is one of the faces of the NFLN. Keeps him right in front of the media and public. It doesn't hurt he is one nice, decent family guy. They are not supposed to let the voters affect them, but it does. Why didn't Parcels get in the first time? Because he was antagonistic to the media.

I see Stabler getting honored for the legacy guys. You wonder if somehow the NFL exerts some influence given the recent report of his 3rd degree CTE coming out. Probably conspiracy theory stuff, but you never know.

Dungy is a great guy, attends one of my buddies church, really is as nice as he comes across on TV, did win one SB. Here in Tampa people are conflicted because he turned around the franchise, but his football was Marty Ball and he couldn't get us tot he SB. He did it in Indy, but he inherited the best offense in football, and only turned their crappy defense into average.

Wow, Faneca and Pace and Greene in before TO and Warner?? Worst entering class ever.

Off-field stuff keeping TO out this year? Guess he shouldn't have shot those dudes. Oh wait, that was your man Harrison.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Coryell won more than 100 games as a college coach and again as a NFL coach. But that's not why he deserves to be enshrined.

The guy changed football forever with "Air Coryell" and the "West Coast" offense. It was Coryell, more than anyone else, who made the QB the focal point of modern offenses. His innovations increased scoring and thus made football more exciting & popular.

His coaching tree includes Joe Gibbs, Bill Walsh, John Madden (first gen), Norv Turner, and Mike Martz (2nd gen) among others. Every OC today has incorporated at least some Coryell ideas.

It's been argued that the nickel and dime defenses so prevalent in modern football were developed to counter Coryell's offensive innovations. So Coryell, in the end, revolutionized both offensive and defensive football.

Giving his influence on the game, I'm not sure how Coryell doesn't deserve a spot in Canton.

Terrific post. He was a one many revolution. His coaching tree (as you point) demonstrates how influential he was to the next generation of coaches. You are astute and perspicacious! :thumbsup:

Wow, Faneca and Pace and Greene in before TO and Warner?? Worst entering class ever.

Off-field stuff keeping TO out this year? Guess he shouldn't have shot those dudes. Oh wait, that was your man Harrison.

Weo- you have a penchant to make things personal, but that aside, Warner was a back up for half of his career, He had a losing record for each year as a back up after St. Louis and before Arizona from 2002-07. That's 6 years. i didn't say I didn't like him, I said he wouldn't get in this year. just like Stabler was passed over for years because he had great years in Oakland and mediocre years elsewhere.

Faneca was a Pro bowler year after year. Greene was one of the changers of the game as a 3-4 pass rusher. Harrison does not have the bad press that TO has and yes, the voters will be affected by him being a cancer in SF, Philly, and Dallas. He never cleaned up his locker room act until he made it to Buffalo.

Again, i think Warner and TO will make the HOF. How many years did it take Chris Carter, Tim Brown, Andre Reed? They'll punish TO for a year or two, and then he'll go in, just like they will do the same to Randy Moss who was awesome. Those "i'll play when i feel like it statements will haunt him for a year or so.

We'll find out this week though. That's my prediction Weo. Make your own. As an aside, my son absolutely loves Warner, and I personally hope he gets in, but my head tells me not this year.

Weo- you have a penchant to make things personal, but that aside, Warner was a back up for half of his career, He had a losing record for each year as a back up after St. Louis and before Arizona from 2002-07. That's 6 years. i didn't say I didn't like him, I said he wouldn't get in this year. just like Stabler was passed over for years because he had great years in Oakland and mediocre years elsewhere.

Faneca was a Pro bowler year after year. Greene was one of the changers of the game as a 3-4 pass rusher. Harrison does not have the bad press that TO has and yes, the voters will be affected by him being a cancer in SF, Philly, and Dallas. He never cleaned up his locker room act until he made it to Buffalo.

Again, i think Warner and TO will make the HOF. How many years did it take Chris Carter, Tim Brown, Andre Reed? They'll punish TO for a year or two, and then he'll go in, just like they will do the same to Randy Moss who was awesome. Those "i'll play when i feel like it statements will haunt him for a year or so.

We'll find out this week though. That's my prediction Weo. Make your own. As an aside, my son absolutely loves Warner, and I personally hope he gets in, but my head tells me not this year.

I thought you might be interested in Alan Fanaca's physical exploits post career. He remade his body and worked on improving his health post NFL career.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/4840/faneca-goes-the-extra-miles-in-new-life

I disagree. The Mike Martz offense was high risk/reward and required the QB to take a lot of hits. It was predicated on sending everyone out and letting Warner take advantage of blitzing defenses to find the uncovered man. It therefore required that Warner take a beating, Pace or no Pace. That offense was completely on Warner throwing to spots and WRs getting to those spots quickly.

And Warner did take hits... but he took the ones he saw coming. His blindside was locked down. I am a huge Warner fan and I would put him in this year... but Pace was a dominant pass protector in a team that was based around the pass.

The GSOT needed Orlando Pace and Marshall Faulk's do it all style at least as much as it needed Kurt Warner.

I hope they both go in. Whether anyone else from that team - Bruce and Holt - should go in... I think that is more of a question mark.

Nothing personal at all. I just thought that was the worst combination of inductees of those available.

TOs off field stuff was insignificant. Certainly nothing to keep him from being 1st ballot inductee. He also is number 2 in all time receiving yards--ahead of everyone you mention despite playing fewer years. Reed got in only because he was on a team that went to 4 SB in a row.

Warner came off the bench in 1999 and took the Rams to a SB victory--that crappy teams first playoff appearance in 10 years. He was MVP for the NFL and the SB. He took them to the SB in 2001 as well.

Nearly 10 years later, he led the crappy Cardinals to their first playoffs in 10 years. He led them to the SB.

He was a record breaking QB both in the regular season and in the playoffs. He went to 3 SB, winning one and losing 2 by a combined 7 points.

He is a first ballot HOF'er no question.

And Warner did take hits... but he took the ones he saw coming. His blindside was locked down. I am a huge Warner fan and I would put him in this year... but Pace was a dominant pass protector in a team that was based around the pass.

The GSOT needed Orlando Pace and Marshall Faulk's do it all style at least as much as it needed Kurt Warner.

I hope they both go in. Whether anyone else from that team - Bruce and Holt - should go in... I think that is more of a question mark.

He get wrecked from all sides--including Pace's left side. A good, but lesser LT would have led them to the same outcome. Without Warner in that offense, no SBs

I thought you might be interested in Alan Fanaca's physical exploits post career. He remade his body and worked on improving his health post NFL career.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/4840/faneca-goes-the-extra-miles-in-new-life

John- I saw that. losing 70 lbs so quickly was impressive. He's an impressive guy though. Thanks for sharing.

Favre is in easily and I doubt they'll put two QBs in the same year unless Manning and Brady retired together.

Coryell finally gets in as an innovating HC ... Dungy will have to wait another year or two

Pace was one of the great OTs and I'd expect him to get in this year

Marvin Harrison will likely get in this year to keep the logjam of WRs from growing ...Owens is still looking to get signed and resume his career

Kevin Greene being 3rd in sacks and a finalist for the 5th time will probably get in this year

Could also see the recently deceased Kenny Stabler get in as an old timer