Sports quotes you hate

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We gave (fill in the blank with any number greater that 100%).

Thank you for allowing me to vent that!

In World War 2 (and probably after), piston engines were rated for a specific power, which was "full" power or "100%." However, the power could almost always be boosted by some means (cooling the cylinder heads with water or water-methanol injection was a popular one) for short periods of time. This would usually be called "war emergency power" or "105%" (or "110%" or whatever percent increase of manifold pressure it was over the rated power.)

So yes, it is possible to give 110%.

Rex already has me sick of hearing "There's no question about it".

My fiancé heard Rex's interview after Sunday's game and asked "is this guy for real?" after hearing him say that phrase after every question - sometimes twice.

In World War 2 (and probably after), piston engines were rated for a specific power, which was "full" power or "100%." However, the power could almost always be boosted by some means (cooling the cylinder heads with water or water-methanol injection was a popular one) for short periods of time. This would usually be called "war emergency power" or "105%" (or "110%" or whatever percent increase of manifold pressure it was over the rated power.)

So yes, it is possible to give 110%.

With regard to piston engine "power ratings". Humans playing football have what they have to give, and no more.