Sports quotes you hate

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With regard to piston engine "power ratings". Humans playing football have what they have to give, and no more.

Actually, humans in physical activity are capable of performance in excess of "normal" for short bursts.

It's why the US Army still has a human loader in tanks to load the tank gun, instead of an auto-loader. They can outperform themselves in a critical situation, for an increased rate of fire, whereas an auto-loader has a fixed upper limit.

In World War 2 (and probably after), piston engines were rated for a specific power, which was "full" power or "100%." However, the power could almost always be boosted by some means (cooling the cylinder heads with water or water-methanol injection was a popular one) for short periods of time. This would usually be called "war emergency power" or "105%" (or "110%" or whatever percent increase of manifold pressure it was over the rated power.)

So yes, it is possible to give 110%.

Yep. Pro football players can give more than 100% when they have piston engines strapped to their backs. That is true.

You're an idiot. ;)

Actually, humans in physical activity are capable of performance in excess of "normal" for short bursts.

It's why the US Army still has a human loader in tanks to load the tank gun, instead of an auto-loader. They can outperform themselves in a critical situation, for an increased rate of fire, whereas an auto-loader has a fixed upper limit.

If you can overclock CPUs and GPUs, then why not humans?

With regard to piston engine "power ratings". Humans playing football have what they have to give, and no more.

Not exactly. 100% would be effort without damaging one self; sometimes people go above 100% and do it by sacrificing something - damage to body, etc. like when someone lifts something very heavy.

My per peeve is when the sports blusterer states something like "They must punt it away". I do not care if it is 4-and-40 the team has a choice on what to do even if they just attempt to draw opposing side off sides.

You're an idiot. ;)

My per peeve is when the sports blusterer states something like "They must punt it away". I do not care if it is 4-and-40 the team has a choice on what to do even if they just attempt to draw opposing side off sides.

But not you - You're an idiot. ;)

Had this from football coach who would tell us "I want you to put out 100% effort but no more, any more and you are not going to be available in other games for you will hurt yourself AND US."

Whose definition is that?

It's suitable to the analogy I presented. Max rated power for an aircraft engine was the power at which it could be run long-term without damage. Wartime emergency power...usage had to be reported by a pilot, and required an engine rebuild (regardless of the state of the engine).

So it's akin to a player giving 100% safely; versus giving 110% at the increased risk of hurting himself, and requiring arthroscopic knee surgery after the game to prevent future injury.

Injuries are no excuse.

Right , but they are an explanation. If second stringers were equal to starters, there'd be controversy at every position. Declining play is expected when back ups play.

I despise the injury excuse/explanation because:

1) It is indicitive of a loser's mindset, one where excuses are made in lieu of attempts to overcome obstacles.

2) It is often used by people only looking at their team and they usually fail to notice the injuries on their opponents/competitors.

"Team x with...unanswered points," when the other team hasn't even had the opportunity to answer yet.

Or even worse...when the other team actually HAS responded with a score.

I read an article a few weeks ago about the Giants 28 "unanswered points", followed by Carolina kicking the winning FG on their last series. :doh:

Yep. Pro football players can give more than 100% when they have piston engines strapped to their backs. That is true.

You're an idiot. ;)

We've got some people who want to be engineers and not math folks. You can increase sales by 110%. That's a matter of math. You can exceed recommended maximum ratings on equipment. The human body can only give 100% of what it has to give. Maybe only 1% of people can get to 100%, but there is a limit. The limit is 100%. The "lift the car off your momma" may be 100%, but it is not any more than that. Is it 100% of "ordinary"? That's another question. But most of the people who spout this stuff are not serious mathematicians. Hopefully they can read and write and aren't bankrupt within 5 years of ending multi-million dollar/year jobs. Edited by Augie