Pegulas announce Rex and Whaley will return in 2016

YoloinOhio

Man this is depressing.

The way I look at it, one of 2 things is going to happen:

1. By some miracle, this motley crew will get things done. The Bills will finally take the next step, and (most) everyone will be very happy.

2. Pegs blows it all up a year from now, and (most) everyone will be very happy.

It's all good.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not drafting players; fact

He's not signing FAs; fact

OH NO HES MAKING PHONE CALLS AT THE GM's BEHEST!

DOOOOOOOOMED!

Russ was team president and COO for a few years. During that time, guys like Modrak and Guy were in charge of personnel.

If you think that Russ is making these kinds of decisions, well, quite simply, you are wrong.

But don't let that stop a good witch hunt.

Hey Russ Brandon.

Some fans, like me, don't think you're very good at your job. Deal with it.

1. By some miracle, this motley crew will get things done. The Bills will finally take the next step, and (most) everyone will be very happy.

2. Pegs blows it all up a year from now, and (most) everyone will be very happy.

It's all good.

The way I look at it, we all already know what next years result will be because we have been down that continuity road so many times over the last 15 years and it won't be good. We have seen pretty darn good teams, and we have all seen the bad and we know the difference. I doubt Rex Ryan will ever be able to beat the Patriots to take the division unless Brady retires, and even then doubtful.

No matter what players you get him on defense Rex Ryan isn't going to be able to build a playoff winning team because first he needs to overcome the penalties, the lack of team discpline in all three aspects of the team. Here we are in week 14 of the season, and the team is still in disarray. Against the Eagles with a possible playoff berth on the line 15 penalties for 101 yards.

Scroll back to the Washington game. https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass

Things would be entirely different in my mind if the Bills were losing close games because of bad luck or bad calls. Just go back to that Washington game with a playoff or bust on the line and the Redskins have a 4th and one on the Bills 37. Sure enough "encroachment" on Buffalo giving the Redskins a first down. Washington went on to score on that drive. The clear and present lack of team discipline is poor coaching.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/

Two years Rico? http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/29/bucky-gleason-pegulas-may-be-in-over-their-heads/

The way I look at it, we all already know what next years result will be because we have been down that continuity road so many times over the last 15 years and it won't be good. We have seen pretty darn good teams, and we have all seen the bad and we know the difference. I doubt Rex Ryan will ever be able to beat the Patriots to take the division unless Brady retires, and even then doubtful.

No matter what players you get him on defense Rex Ryan isn't going to be able to build a playoff winning team because first he needs to overcome the penalties, the lack of team discpline in all three aspects of the team. Here we are in week 14 of the season, and the team is still in disarray. Against the Eagles with a possible playoff berth on the line 15 penalties for 101 yards.

Scroll back to the Washington game. https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass

Things would be entirely different in my mind if the Bills were losing close games because of bad luck or bad calls. Just go back to that Washington game with a playoff or bust on the line and the Redskins have a 4th and one on the Bills 37. Sure enough "encroachment" on Buffalo giving the Redskins a first down. Washington went on to score on that drive. The clear and present lack of team discipline is poor coaching.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/

Two years Rico? http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/29/bucky-gleason-pegulas-may-be-in-over-their-heads/

Then how did he do it with the jets?

I am not saying I am particulary happy right now with Rex Ryan.....and yes the penalties this year have been maddening....but the penalties are not actually a NEW thing with this team as that was already a problem here.

Penalties and DEFENSE....that is why we are not in the playoffs. I also am not happy that we are gonna have to overhaul this defense but that train has now left the station....and RR has shown that with the right players he CAN produce a top defense.......

@chrisbrownbills

Pegulas back #Bills front office and coaching staff - Full statement here -

http://m.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Pegulas-back-Bills-front-office-and-coaching-staff/fdc9e76f-f5bd-46f2-97c0-642780f3bb30

Terry Pegula: "This stable foundation is necessary to achieve long term success in the NFL" #Bills #BillsMafia

<_<

Don't worry, Russ is in the lab right now working hard concocting a scheme on how to match this year's season ticket sales. :thumbsup:

He is great at that, if only he could figure out a way to win.

So Whaley and Rex will have another year. I would be more optimistic if the Bills had more cap space so they could revamp the defense with the players that Ryan thinks he needs. The Bills can always release players (such as M. Williams), but finding the necessary replacements will be tough, and I doubt draft picks will be able to start immediately on defense given that the current group of veteran defensive players had a difficult time picking up Ryan's system.

Seems like we have a lot of needs. Not sure if this really can be fixed in one off season. I hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling we will be debating whether Whaley and Ryan deserve another season around this time next year.

Regarding fixing the D, ask your self how many college defenses play a similar style to Rex's D and that's your answer. I dont there are many. That said, we draft players to fit Rex's needs.....he leaves in a year or 2, we are right back to where we are now in '17.

I've seen the video. It doesn't prove anything other than Russ was in the room.

Not this again? I thought we had put this to bed months ago.... ok... 1. at the time of the Watkins pick Russ was the de-facto head of the organisation.... he was essentially playing the owner role whilst Mary Wilson tried to sell the team. 2. Russ was tasked with trying to get intel from the Jags who picked at 3. He and Dave Caldwell the Jags GM go way back so he was trying to use that friendship to garner whatever info he could about their intentions. It was covered in quite some detail at the time - Doug Whaley asked him to be responsible for speaking to the Jags for that very reason.

As for the announcement that Rex and Doug stay? It was sadly what I had come to expect. I will after the final game on Sunday remove the "Fire Rex Ryan" from my sig and I will endeavour to try and get excited about the next few months.... I will pass no further judgment after Sunday on the Head Coach until at least training camp and no definitive judgment until the games start next September. Last January I said I thought hiring him was the wrong move.... I say now that I fear very much that retaining him is the wrong move too.

Whaley for me deserves to stay - but he has a big off season infront of him. If he can re-tool this defense for Rex to complete a turnaround in one year then he deserves a huge amount of credit. I think it is a tough ask.

Wow. I am really surprised that a man who built a multi-billion dollar business did not make a critical business decision based on the uninformed opinions of fans or the even less informed whining of local media members. What a shock!

Pegula was a speculator that bought a large number oil leases for almost nothing on questionable drilling sites that became valuable when shale oil drilling was developed. He then sold those leases to big companies who had the knowledge, the savvy, the skill, and the resources to make something of them. Whether he foresaw the boom in Shale oil injection drilling beforehand or just got lucky is the real question. He did not make his multi-billion dollars actually running a business or making a product. He was a speculator. Being a successful speculator does not automatically make him a smart businessman, just a good speculator, or one that just got lucky.

And his track record with the Sabres and Bills does not show he knows how to create a winning sports team, in fact his record shows that after he takes ownership the teams have a history of backsliding in being successful on the field. Although like Ralph, they may be successful in their bottom line. As a fan who wants a winning and competitive team, it sucks for those fans.

It's all good.

Scenario 1: heck, what is just one more year after the past 16...

Scenario 2:just one more year!

Based on what I have learned by reading many threads on TBD, I think the following will happen:

Rex wants a big nose tackle, and a mike LB who is big and can take on a RB at the line of scrimmage. Whaley will get him these players through FA or draft.

If this is correct, it doesn't seem like a bad idea. My biggest concern with this scheme is that it relies on a small number of players with unique physiques and capabilities, which means injuries/depth will be a major concern.

If Rex craps the bed next year (I think he will), then the 2017 season will be a rebuilding year with a new staff, and 2018 will be THE year (again).

My concern with Rex is not his football IQ, but the fact that he seems to run a loose, disorganized team. I get the feeling that practices are not organized or effective, just based on players who don't seem to know what to do on the field. Lack of discipline and accountability leads to players who aren't concerned (scared) about making penalties or fumbling.

Poor time management, late getting plays in quickly, poor attention to detail (functioning headsets, TV monitors to assess red flag challenges, etc.), are some of the reasons why Rex will fail if he doesn't fix things. He shouldn't be spending his time as the de facto defensive coordinator. He should be spending his time doing head coach things, which may not be as hands-on as he likes, but that's the nature of the job.

Promo, if it's still up go to the video clip of the Bills war room and watch the goings on during the Sammy Watkins trade.

It's pretty hard to watch that and believe that Brandon isn't involved in the decision making process

When I see film clips of the Bills War Room on draft day and Brandon isn't in the room, I'll maybe start to believe he isn't.

Why does this always come up?

A guy working the phones does not mean he is involved in the decision of who to draft. It means he is literally working the phones. Does a secretary get involved with the work his/her boss is doing? Hell, Whaley himself has said, multiple times, that he worked the phones for the Steelers.

Russ Brandon had a good relationship with the GM for the Jags, it would make sense for him to be the one to talk to the GM. Does that mean it was his decision to make the trade and talk to the Jags GM? No. Does that mean he was the one who decided on drafting the actual player Sammy Watkins? No.

A GM is one person, there is no way possible for him to work a deal with 2 or 3 teams at once. If he is on the phone to one team, he can't talk to the other team at the same time. It would be absolutely bad management if he didn't see what multiple teams were offering. Therefore he would need someone else to help him with phone calls.

I honestly don't get why people think there is some conspiracy with Russ Brandon making football decisions. Does he have the owners ear in terms of organizational hirings? Yea, he probably does have opinions based on comments about Rex but thats all it is, an opinion. Terry and Kim Pegula still have to make the decision.

Care to elaborate about these so called "facts" in where exactly is the proof that Brandon isn't heavily involved in any aspect of the player acquisition process. Have any proof at all besides an opinion?

You keep throwing out this propaganda that Brandon isn't involved, and yet other posters who have had inside information into the inner workings of the team that has been shared with us in this forum have come right out and stated Brandon has been involved in the draft, in all aspects of player acquisition since Marv Levy retired!

The mere fact that Brandon was heavily involved in getting the Pegula's to hire Rex Ryan tells me the man is still involved in the football side of the team's operations. Telling the Pegula's to not let him leave the room is more than just throwing out an opinion.

You mean aside from the entirety of information from the organization regarding the draft process?

I've seen a total of one person that's occasioned to have a scoop say anything like that about Russ.

I've also seen several others that have had good info in the past say the opposite...that even when Russ was GM in title, he wasn't making personnel decisions.

You want proof of who's running football operations? Go read the account of how the Watkins trade went down:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/05/09/inside-draft-room-buffalo-made-trade-land-sammy-watkins

Who's running this army?

Like I said: criticize away, but do it on some actual grounds (for example, the Toronto series)

Also, use your intuition: would Rex come to a situation where a financial guy is making personnel decisions after what he went through with Idzik?

Why does this always come up?

A guy working the phones does not mean he is involved in the decision of who to draft. It means he is literally working the phones. Does a secretary get involved with the work his/her boss is doing? Hell, Whaley himself has said, multiple times, that he worked the phones for the Steelers.

Russ Brandon had a good relationship with the GM for the Jags, it would make sense for him to be the one to talk to the GM. Does that mean it was his decision to make the trade and talk to the Jags GM? No. Does that mean he was the one who decided on drafting the actual player Sammy Watkins? No.

A GM is one person, there is no way possible for him to work a deal with 2 or 3 teams at once. If he is on the phone to one team, he can't talk to the other team at the same time. It would be absolutely bad management if he didn't see what multiple teams were offering. Therefore he would need someone else to help him with phone calls.

I honestly don't get why people think there is some conspiracy with Russ Brandon making football decisions. Does he have the owners ear in terms of organizational hirings? Yea, he probably does have opinions based on comments about Rex but thats all it is, an opinion. Terry and Kim Pegula still have to make the decision.

You need only point to Seattle and Peter McLaughlin's role on draft day to see that what Russ is doing is not in any way uncommon.

He's simply the target because fans need to place 16 years of blame on one guy for reasons I'll never understand.

Personally, I've heard that the same janitor has been cleaning the war room for the last 16 years; I think he's the real issue. I mean, he's a holdover from the previous regime. It makes sense

Edited by thebandit27

@chrisbrownbills

Pegulas back #Bills front office and coaching staff - Full statement here -

http://m.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Pegulas-back-Bills-front-office-and-coaching-staff/fdc9e76f-f5bd-46f2-97c0-642780f3bb30

Terry Pegula: "This stable foundation is necessary to achieve long term success in the NFL" #Bills #BillsMafia

Smart move making this statement. Most figured there was no way Rex was going to be fired given his contract plus only one year with the team. This statement should end any speculation by the media and fans.

Plus now Rex can get back to his important business of making TV commercials for Tops and Dunn Tire since he will be around for another season! :)

Edited by CodeMonkey

Based on what I have learned by reading many threads on TBD, I think the following will happen:

Rex wants a big nose tackle, and a mike LB who is big and can take on a RB at the line of scrimmage. Whaley will get him these players through FA or draft.

If this is correct, it doesn't seem like a bad idea. My biggest concern with this scheme is that it relies on a small number of players with unique physiques and capabilities, which means injuries/depth will be a major concern.

If Rex craps the bed next year (I think he will), then the 2017 season will be a rebuilding year with a new staff, and 2018 will be THE year (again).

My concern with Rex is not his football IQ, but the fact that he seems to run a loose, disorganized team. I get the feeling that practices are not organized or effective, just based on players who don't seem to know what to do on the field. Lack of discipline and accountability leads to players who aren't concerned (scared) about making penalties or fumbling.

Poor time management, late getting plays in quickly, poor attention to detail (functioning headsets, TV monitors to assess red flag challenges, etc.), are some of the reasons why Rex will fail if he doesn't fix things. He shouldn't be spending his time as the de facto defensive coordinator. He should be spending his time doing head coach things, which may not be as hands-on as he likes, but that's the nature of the job.

Here's someone who watches the games and gets it. :worthy:

Pegula was a speculator that bought a large number oil leases for almost nothing on questionable drilling sites that became valuable when shale oil drilling was developed. He then sold those leases to big companies who had the knowledge, the savvy, the skill, and the resources to make something of them. Whether he foresaw the boom in Shale oil injection drilling beforehand or just got lucky is the real question. He did not make his multi-billion dollars actually running a business or making a product. He was a speculator. Being a successful speculator does not automatically make him a smart businessman, just a good speculator, or one that just got lucky.

And his track record with the Sabres and Bills does not show he knows how to create a winning sports team, in fact his record shows that after he takes ownership the teams have a history of backsliding in being successful on the field. Although like Ralph, they may be successful in their bottom line. As a fan who wants a winning and competitive team, it sucks for those fans.

That's rich...his record...like he has a long list of teams he's run into the ground.

He owns two teams. One team is emerging from a planned tanking and rebuild. The other didn't make the playoffs in his first full year of control. THAT'S HIS RECORD! :doh:

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Here's someone who watches the games and gets it. :worthy:

I think Rex most likely runs the overall operation fine, and he has an excellent staff. I think the discipline or lack of comes from trying to be a players' coach, wanting to be their buddy, and his bloviating. He also is not a good game-day HC.

I get the stability part of keeping the clan together. But, with said stability will come the same mediocre output that was witnessed this past season.

Still, it won't stop most from opining in here next offseason about how great the results will be for next season .... only to realize disappointment, yet again. Such is life supporting this franchise.

It was the right choice to keep Rex as coach, he deserves a 2nd yr. if he was fired after 1 yr there's no way the Bills would get a good coach to come in. Who would want come in and coach this team?

his coaching was downright horrible this year and he deserves nothing. He isnt some unknown first time head coach that is starting over a rebuild of a team. He is an estate listed coach who took over a team that only need some tweaking to improve and decided to fix something that wasn't broke just because it wasn't his. Don't think anyone outside of maybe a few media personalities close to Rex that would look at this move and say its a bad one after what happened to the team this year. This isn't Cleveland dumping a first time HC just because they liked someone else better and he didn't turn around a dumpster fire franchise in one year.