Pegulas announce Rex and Whaley will return in 2016

YoloinOhio

I'd like to know if those playing the stability card would feel the same 12 months from now if we miss the playoffs once again.

Let's find out shall we ?

I wonder too honestly. but that's my vote.

The way I look at it, one of 2 things is going to happen:

1. By some miracle, this motley crew will get things done. The Bills will finally take the next step, and (most) everyone will be very happy.

2. Pegs blows it all up a year from now, and (most) everyone will be very happy.

It's all good.

: )

well done.

:huh::huh::huh::huh: Danny Crossman and Dennis Thurman are not good at their jobs and holdovers from his Jets staff like Sanjay Lal and David Lee should not been brought over imo, Rex is way too loyal to guys who haven't contributed to a winning team in recent years for him.

or he wanted to get up and running asap.

I agree about Crossman leaving finally, but not a bring along from the Jets.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand this sentence. I wasn't trying to discredit the Pegulas for the Bills' record last year; they pretty clearly had little to do with it, one way or the other. This year is a different matter. They hired Ryan and had him report directly to them; Ryan's first year has been disappointing, if not an utter fiasco. There was also the embarrassing episode last year when the Pegulas apparently tried to hire Polian as "Football Czar" and got publicly left at the altar, thus undermining the authority of their GM. Again, it's still early days and it's not surprising that the Pegulas have made a few missteps and things might turn out great, but I don't think they have earned the presumption that they know what they are doing.

The point is that it isn't s presumption. It's an inference based on what they've done with the Sabres.

That was a team that was trending downward fast, and needed an organizational overhaul. In the NHL, that takes time, so the Pegulas took a few years and did it right.

Now they're in a position where they're primed for a resurgence. They have a young core, good prospects, and a ton of cap room.

Give them a little time to see how they approach things before throwing stones is what I'm saying

No way in hell that's his actual though process.

amazing how some folks can definitively say what is going on in another's mind. I mean with honest conviction.

But I am sure pegula is pissed.!!

) no i am not , i have no idea actually (

The point is that it isn't s presumption. It's an inference based on what they've done with the Sabres.

That was a team that was trending downward fast, and needed an organizational overhaul. In the NHL, that takes time, so the Pegulas took a few years and did it right.

Now they're in a position where they're primed for a resurgence. They have a young core, good prospects, and a ton of cap room.

Give them a little time to see how they approach things before throwing stones is what I'm saying

Talk about a mischaracterization. Are we just gonna pretend like they didn't fail completely their first few years?

I don't understand this sentence. I wasn't trying to discredit the Pegulas for the Bills' record last year; they pretty clearly had little to do with it, one way or the other. This year is a different matter. They hired Ryan and had him report directly to them; Ryan's first year has been disappointing, if not an utter fiasco. There was also the embarrassing episode last year when the Pegulas apparently tried to hire Polian as "Football Czar" and got publicly left at the altar, thus undermining the authority of their GM. Again, it's still early days and it's not surprising that the Pegulas have made a few missteps and things might turn out great, but I don't think they have earned the presumption that they know what they are doing.

Here in a nutshell is what they are doing right now:

Pegs: "Russ, I'm not happy with the way this year turned out."

Brandon: "Terry, things aren't as bad as they appear, all they need is more time."

Pegs: "Thanks, Russ."

We'll see what happens after next season.

Talk about a mischaracterization. Are we just gonna pretend like they didn't fail completely their first few years?

The cupboard was bare in terms of prospects, and the cap situation was looking bad (too much poured into guys like Vanek and Pominville). Ruff and Regier were given most of two seasons to sort it out, and it didn't go well, so the rebuilding began.

Is that not how you remember it?

Here in a nutshell is what they are doing right now:

Pegs: "Russ, I'm not happy with the way this year turned out."

Brandon: "Terry, things aren't as bad as they appear, all they need is more time."

Pegs: "Thanks, Russ."

We'll see what happens after next season.

Yeah, that's actually right on

The polian thing was and is clouding the waters.

My thought was he was waiting for the Hall of Fame vote and if he took the position, would negate his availability for the vote.

The media spun that version of Polian reaching out too.

The Pegulas are making the right decision. With SOME of these ungrateful fans in this town often classified as “irrelevant”, nothing will ever please them. The last coach BAILED on the team... BAILED on them... now the first year in a new system and they go either 7-9 and 8-8 and everyone is acting like the world has ended. It doesn't matter 2 years prior this was a 7-9 team... everyone CONVENIENTLY forgets that. Give Rex Ryan until next year before turning your backs on him. Some of this fanbase is so off track it's not even funny. Absurd.

Rex WANTED to come here. What relevant coach wanted to come here in the last 20 years? Oh that's right NO coach. Nobody likes Buffalo, the city or the team. Free agents FINALLY want to come to Buffalo. Too many disloyal fans expecting MIRACLES to be done. Without stability, WINNING IS NOT IN THE QUESTION. In terms of why the Jets are doing well now as opposed to last year? The GM decided to get some excellent cornerbacks that were absolutely essential to Rex's defense that he was deprived of last year. Didn't matter if the LBs and defensive line knew the system well, it hinged on good corner play. As to why we can't do well this year, it's because only a couple guys like Graham and Lawson know the system and the main guy Aaron Williams was out who was supposed to be a leader. It doesn't matter having great cornerbacks if the system isn't understood yet.

It takes TIME. Rex Ryan decided to come here without even a mediocre QB. He brought in a QB that has exceeded everyone’s expectations and also a star offensive guard that has allowed us to be the number one rushing offense placing us as a statistically much better offense than last year. As far as the defense regressing, as it has been stated, Rex runs a highly complicated defense that takes players being forced to play it over a couple years. If we had better linebackers which the system relies on this would have been a much smoother transition. It is absurd to think that many Bills fans want to run out of town the one coach that WANTED TO BE IN BUFFALO and improved many parts of the team while making this town relevant again.

Edited by Vinaccia

Dear Bills fans,

Thank you very much for the season ticket support you have provided OBD this past season. Really what were you going to spend the money on this year, The Sabres. Ah, Go Sabres! Progress has been made, our fan base was the strongest ever at 60K season tickets even after 15 years not in the playoffs. What is one more year then in this rebuild. One Buffalo, stay the course. I will build you another stadium in 10 years so we can have a 25th anniversary of Doug Flutie and our last playoff experience, hey I didn't bench the guy! Damn Flutie curse, someone should have told me this before I bought the team!!!!! Brings true tears to my eyes, really.

I know there was a calling to fire Doug Whaley and Rex Ryan, maybe if they lose Sunday big they will pull a Marrone!!! Hey Marv, want to be Team Czar (That got Mularkey to quit). I owe Rex 21 or so million dollars if I fire him. Would it be OK if I raise season ticket prices to do this? Yeah I thought not. You all should have stopped cheering so loud when the Bills offense was on the field, TT said he never could hear the plays in the Red Zone. What is wrong with you fans anyway, should be starting the wave instead! Thankless bunch, I brought you Santa in a Buffalo Bills painted pickup truck. You know I could have hired Dick Schwartz as HC, look what happened in Detroit! Never you mind as DC Schartz's defense was #4 in the league, it was all emotion from Ralph Wilson passing away. You think Obama was in town getting carried off at home field Detroit, you fans never did that for me and I bought 3 franchises for you!

I have spoken sternly to Dougy and Rex about how important winning is next year. I want a BULLY of a team on the field next year, #1 defense and a guarantee we make the playoffs OR ELSE I will fire Whaley at years end. Whaley must find a veteran backup QB like the Jets did this past year. Have you watched this kid play, Fitz is incredible. A guy like that could have won both the games EJ lost this year, bumm! On hind sight maybe the Bills should have sign him instead of Cassell, what was Whaley thinking. Note to self, ask Whaley why Fitz isn't in a Buffalo uniform.

Take a deep breath Bills fan, the smell is really just the farmers spraying early this year since it is so nice. Come down to the Bills Store, it will be open all winter at OBD since construction is all complete. Just wondering how you all would feel if I we trade for Manziel, I like the kids spunk. He would sell a few jerseys too. You all are so nice and Kim and I are extremely happy we kept the Bills here for the rest of your stinking, I mean wonderful lives, really! Oh by the way we are raising season ticket prices 25% since we now have a waiting list, so if you don't reup we will have no issue finding a new buyer at a higher cost. God bless us everyone.

HAPPY NEW YEAR BILLS FANS, maybe this will finally be the year. Thank you for your checks!

Sincerely,

TO, I mean TP

P.S. Don't know if you caught this but Whaley only has 1 year left on his contract, I will fire him anyway.

The cupboard was bare in terms of prospects, and the cap situation was looking bad (too much poured into guys like Vanek and Pominville). Ruff and Regier were given most of two seasons to sort it out, and it didn't go well, so the rebuilding began.

Is that not how you remember it?

Yeah, that's actually right on

That's exactly how I remember it. Was it not a mistake to give them two seasons to "sort it out" or no? Was there any wastefulness there? If they had the chance to do it all over again, do they give them 2 years again?

The Pegulas came into the NHL with the idea that the only thing holding back their new team was $$$. They provided, were proven otherwise, and had to blow the thing all up. Then the Pegulas came into the NFL with the idea that the only thing holding back their new team was $$$. They provided, are in the process of being proved otherwise, and will have to blow the thing all up. Not exactly learning from your mistakes, IMO. But at least they rectify them.

Edited by FireChan

That's exactly how I remember it. Was it not a mistake to give them two seasons to "sort it out" or no? Was there any wastefulness there? If they had the chance to do it all over again, do they give them 2 years again?

The Pegulas came into the NHL with the idea that the only thing holding back their new team was $$$. They provided, were proven otherwise, and had to blow the thing all up. Then the Pegulas came into the NFL with the idea that the only thing holding back their new team was $$$. They provided, are in the process of being proved otherwise, and will have to blow the thing all up. Not exactly learning from your mistakes, IMO. But at least they rectify them.

I was actually against them giving R&R two seasons, and no, I don't think they'd do it that way again if given the chance.

I think, as it relates to the Bills, they'll give Whaley and Rex another year and provide them with whatever they feel is necessary to improve...and if they don't, they'll move on.

Don't know if the NHL and NFL are quite the same. There are numerous cases where "blowing it up" in the NHL leads to success. Mostly because the top talent in the NHL is in fact at the top of the draft. You are almost guaranteeing cornerstones for your franchise.

The NFL is a crap shoot. Teams have been crap for years and picked in the top 10 but haven't been able to turn their franchises around. Some teams have had one pick and turned it around.

I was actually against them giving R&R two seasons, and no, I don't think they'd do it that way again if given the chance.

I think, as it relates to the Bills, they'll give Whaley and Rex another year and provide them with whatever they feel is necessary to improve...and if they don't, they'll move on.

I think, in about 4 years, we'll say giving RR and DW 2 years was also a mistake, and they wouldn't do it again. But we'll see.

Out of curiosity, care to point out one positive thing that has happened to the Bills on the field since Russ Brandons career began with the Bills? And please don't give me the old company line that he's a great marketer. He's selling tickets and merchandise to the most popular and profitable sports league in the world. It is not difficult to sell tickets and merchandise in that type of business environment......and even if you thought it was, the Bills led the league in blackouts due to non sellouts, so apparently he's not even great at 'moving inventory" as Russ would say.

I love how this guy gets a pass after each and every failed Bills season. Let me remind you this is the man that was acting GM when we drafted Aaron Maybin. This is the man that hired Marv Levy to come in as GM. The man that led the search to bring in Buddy Nix which led us to the drafting of EJ Manuel. The man who pushed to sign TO to help sell tickets. The man that led the charge in leaving no stone unturned and coming back with Doug Marrone as HC. The man who oversaw the contract negotiations with Marrone that allowed him to have an opt out clause after 2 years with no offsets, coating Pegula $4 million. The man that led the charge in the hiring of Rex Ryan and warned Pegula not to let Rex out of the building. And also the man that oversaw the negotiations that gave Rex a 5 year $27.5 million deal, forcing Rex as the leader of this franchise for at least 1 more year despite his obvious inadequacies as a HC in today's NFL.

So once again I ask all of the Russ Brandon apologists to give me one example of a Bills success on the field under his leadership? The guys a total incompetent and he proves it year after year......and 2016 will be no different. The sooner the Pegula's realize Russ should not be leaned on for any type of advice the better off this franchise will be.

A few weeks ago someone on here joked that some fans suffer from Buffalo Bills Stockholm Syndrome. There's no greater example of that than the Brandon apologists. There's no talking to them either, it's like trying to deprogram a Level 5 Scientologist.

Oh, and you left out his role as architect of the Toronto series. Remember the competitive edge that gave us? :lol:

Let's find out shall we ?

I wonder too honestly. but that's my vote.

: )

well done.

or he wanted to get up and running asap.

I agree about Crossman leaving finally, but not a bring along from the Jets.

if you think the Bills ST is bad - the Jets is much much worse

A few weeks ago someone on here joked that some fans suffer from Buffalo Bills Stockholm Syndrome. There's no greater example of that than the Brandon apologists. There's no talking to them either, it's like trying to deprogram a Level 5 Scientologist.

Oh, and you left out his role as architect of the Toronto series. Remember the competitive edge that gave us? :lol:

Not as bad as the "Russ Brandon's the one holding us back" conspiracy theorists.

It makes no sense whatsoever. He's not the guy that made Buddy Nix pass on Wilson, Dalton, etc or fail to replace Levitre.

He's not the guy that didn't hedge the QB bet they placed on EJ.

He's the guy that runs the business side of the organization, and it's categorically nuts to attribute to him everything your lot chooses to.

I think, in about 4 years, we'll say giving RR and DW 2 years was also a mistake, and they wouldn't do it again. But we'll see.

I'm way more worried about Rex than I am Whaley

Not as bad as the "Russ Brandon's the one holding us back" conspiracy theorists.

It makes no sense whatsoever. He's not the guy that made Buddy Nix pass on Wilson, Dalton, etc or fail to replace Levitre.

He's the guy that runs the business side of the organization, and it's categorically nuts to attribute to him everything your lot chooses to.

I don't think he's the major problem holding us back, but he's certainly not helping. He's the President of the team. That's his title. He has influence on what happens with regard to the GM and Coach, who in turn are responsible for what happens on the field. Russ "don't let him leave the room" Brandon seems like a nice enough guy, but it was time to move on years ago. I don't think blaming the guy with the title of President is unfounded.

Gotta think their fates are inextricably linked now.

I don't think he's the major problem holding us back, but he's certainly not helping. He's the President of the team. That's his title. He has influence on what happens with regard to the GM and Coach, who in turn are responsible for what happens on the field. Russ "don't let him leave the room" Brandon seems like a nice enough guy, but it was time to move on years ago. I don't think blaming the guy with the title of President is unfounded.

It's what he's being blamed FOR with which I most often take issue.

Gotta think their fates are inextricably linked now.

Yes, which is unfortunate since I think Whaley is a good personnel guy, but I don't have confidence in Rex to deliver long-term.