Report: Peyton Manning linked to HGH, doping ring

YoloinOhio

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my very uneducated opinion, NFL owners do want players to juice. They also have to pretend to be against it because of getting sued. There is WAY too much money at stake.

Absolutely.

I think they are viewed as maintenance drugs.

I think they've cracked down on aderral because they've seen that it has increased focus and recognition.....making players appear more instinctive......and that really matters on the field......but IS NOT part of keeping players healthy enough to play.

Edited by #BADOL

This is much adou about nothing. He said he didn't do it, is suing Al Jazeera, and is putting up a good show how pissed he is on the intrusion to his wife. It may all be true, and hope it is as he is been a great ambassador for the NFL.

Even if not, it wasn't against the CBA in 2011, and if under the care of a doctor not illegal.

To think these guys don't try and take every opportunity to play is foolish as long as they don't get caught.

I've watched Al Jazeera enough times to know they're a credible news outlet.

They were once known as the mouthpiece of radical Islam only because they were able to get interviews with militants that others couldn't get. Al Jezeera itself has no noticeable political stance. They're much like CNN or BBC - though perhaps with a more global outlook than CNN.

Nonetheless, the Manning story is not great journalism. Deborah Davies herself says Charlie Sly is their only source. It used to be that credible news outlets only reported something they could corroborate. Good news outlets don't normally like to go to air or print with only one source.

Sly did work for the Guyer Institute so his claims that they sent Manning's wife HGH are interesting. But how credible is Charlie Sly?

It feels to me like AJ was so excited to have a big NFL story that they compromised their journalistic standards to get this scoop out. They should have done more work to find someone to either corroborate Sly's info or figure out Sly is lying.

It feels to me like AJ was so excited to have a big NFL story that they compromised their journalistic standards to get this scoop out. They should have done more work to find someone to either corroborate Sly's info or figure out Sly is lying.

I speak as a former journalist when I say that sometimes you try really hard to do everything right and corroborate your story with a second source and nobody is talking but at the same time they are not talking in such a way that makes you believe there is something there. When that is the case sometimes you have to go with your gut, put your reputation on the line and go and bang on the table until your news editor lets you publish. Sometimes you win sometimes you don't but only once in my journalism career (only 5 years) did my gut on one of those types of stories turn out to have been wrong.

Al Jazeera reporter reveals a second source confirms allegation HGH was sent "repeatedly" to Peyton Manning's home

http://deadspin.com/al-jazeera-reporter-second-knowledgable-and-credible-1750778458?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Yes. Stands to reason. If I were a sports star, I'd have HGH delivered to my home address again, and again, and again, until the factory ran out of the stuff. Who would ever know?

An interesting article in the NYTimes yesterday that connects more dots from Al Jazeera's source, Charles Sly, concerning an international doping ring that allegedly involved US professional athletes.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/06/sports/baseball/al-jazeera-peyton-manning-derek-jeter-charles-sly.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=1&referer=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/06/two-athletes-not-named-peyton-manning-sue-al-jazeera/

An interesting article in the NYTimes yesterday that connects more dots from Al Jazeera's source, Charles Sly, concerning an international doping ring that allegedly involved US professional athletes.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/06/sports/baseball/al-jazeera-peyton-manning-derek-jeter-charles-sly.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=1&referer=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/06/two-athletes-not-named-peyton-manning-sue-al-jazeera/

All associative speculation...but as endings go, the last sentence is right up there with "It's a cookbook."

This is much adou about nothing. He said he didn't do it, is suing Al Jazeera, and is putting up a good show how pissed he is on the intrusion to his wife. It may all be true, and hope it is as he is been a great ambassador for the NFL.

Even if not, it wasn't against the CBA in 2011, and if under the care of a doctor not illegal.

To think these guys don't try and take every opportunity to play is foolish as long as they don't get caught.

Just like Lance Armstrong ?