Pegula's interference Freddy/Rex

billsintaiwan

Doug Whaley has done a pretty good job constructing the roster. Not perfect. Pretty good. His college scouts seem to be doing a good job. The draft went well.

If media reports are to be believed (and just for the sake of this argument, let's say they are accurate), then Pegula has stuck his hand into Doug's domain twice.

First with the Rex hire, which I judge to be a mistake. He ruined the defense. End of story.

Second with Jackson. Instead of happening in May or whenever, it happened right before the season started, creating a needless distraction.

Neither of the Pegulas know football like Whaley does. They should have let him do his job. We'd probably have Hue Jackson and Schwartz. This season would have been different.

Step back T&K, and let Whaley do his thing. He will get it done even with his clueless oaf coach.

Doug Whaley has done a pretty good job constructing the roster. Not perfect. Pretty good. His college scouts seem to be doing a good job. The draft went well.

If media reports are to be believed (and just for the sake of this argument, let's say they are accurate), then Pegula has stuck his hand into Doug's domain twice.

First with the Rex hire, which I judge to be a mistake. He ruined the defense. End of story.

Second with Jackson. Instead of happening in May or whenever, it happened right before the season started, creating a needless distraction.

Neither of the Pegulas know football like Whaley does. They should have let him do his job. We'd probably have Hue Jackson and Schwartz. This season would have been different.

Step back T&K, and let Whaley do his thing. He will get it done even with his clueless oaf coach.

Hard to disagree in hind site. Would love to have seen what a Jackson and Schwartz combo could have been …. but of course, that is hind site.

Pegula is a community guy. He wanted to see Buffalo Area happy.

He got swooned in by the sexy rexy talk of community and leading. Epic Fail.

However he was right with Fred. What was the big deal in not keeping Fred Jackson. He is a third down back in Seattle and is happy with that role. Whaley should have kept him.

Where is this written that Pegula was behind cutting of Fred?? Even the Rex hire, there is no way you can convince me that he would have hired Rex if either DW or RB said no. They were alI on board too. I like Whaley and do hope he's brought back, hiring Rex probably was a mistake, but blaming this on Pegula for getting involved is laughable.

Didn't both Pegula and Whaley want Rex?

The one good thing coming out of the last few years is that it is clear the Pegulas are in it for the long haul. That trumps everything. If they have to learn along the way, so be it

I think Whaley has done a lot of good things and don't have major issues with him.

I am starting to see that Rex was a big whiff but admit that at the time I thought it was a good move. He seemed like the perfect fit here because he seemed to care about winning, the community and things that go beyond football. A winning team can be built with a formula like that. It has happened many times in all sports. It seems now that Rex's priorities don't line up with results. I do believe he cares about winning and the community but now think he doesn't know how to prioritize in ways that produce results. Fun and relaxation are for the off season. It's terrific he beat the Jets but every other weak he has the team come out of the locker room ready to commit penalties. It doesn't help being a small market team that is going to get some calls against it on top of that. Rex is a fun guy that knows a lot about football but he does not seem adaptable or truly self examining. He seems focused on the next fun thing to come along and to forcing his style, which hasn't really worked in 5 years, onto players that kicked butt only last year. When we hired Rex I wasn't worried about the last few seasons the Jets played because I thought Rex was undermined...I still think he was....but this year he was supplied with everything he could want and produced a giant step backwards.

I think the team has to stay with him because the owner needs to build credibility with potential future coaches and staff. I am glad Pegula is here so Kraft couldn't ram Bon Jersey and Toronto down our throats like he tried. But at this point I see two more years of Rex then a total re-build. It's a shame because we are the ones paying the price.

Watching that ESPN special reminded everyone what the Bills really mean to the city and the fans everywhere. They mean much more than some fad of the moment fan base like Seattle or New England. Sorry but it is true. There are other teams with fans like this but not many. I think the Pegulas get it and want to see it through...that is still an overwhelmingly good thing. They really tried to make it happen with Rex. I think it was a good effort and made sense. I wish Rex could have been the right coach. It would have been fun...but the fun should come with the winning, not before...and Rex is always looking to have fun right now. It's really too bad.

IMO Terry Pegula made a major blunder and its not meddling here or there. He should have cleaned house of all Wilson regime personnel from top to bottom immediately after last season, enlisted the support of some subject matter experts, hired a new general manager, and then let that GM identify and hire a new coach who would be charged with hiring his staff. This would have established organizational structure and ensured everyone was on-board with an single strategy and approach to the team both on and off the field on day one.

Right now we appear to have a GM and head Coach that aren't on the same page with personnel and philosophy regarding players, schemes, you name it. Just looking at the results this season shows this arrangement simply can't and won't work. This team has clearly regressed in so many ways including both organizationally and statistically and the sooner ownership comes to this conclusion the better. While its a big financial hit I think ending the Rex Ryan experiment after this season is over has to happen for this team to make any progress. It's time for ownership to admit a mistake and take the right actions to get things moving in the right direction. This season is lost but there is time to save us all from several more years of this soap opera of an organization. Rex the person seems like a great guy to sit down and have a beer or two with but to me its obvious he's not the guy I want coaching my team.

The Fred incident was a non-factor as the Bills had no trouble blowing out the Colts. And keeping him wouldn't have led to any more wins.

As for hiring Rex, that turned out to be a mistake because of the defense. But he was a hot coaching candidate and was instrumental in getting TT here (although the jury is still out on whether he's a franchise QB). Not sure how good Jackson would have been without a QB.

Pegula is a community guy. He wanted to see Buffalo Area happy.

He got swooned in by the sexy rexy talk of community and leading. Epic Fail.

However he was right with Fred. What was the big deal in not keeping Fred Jackson. He is a third down back in Seattle and is happy with that role. Whaley should have kept him.

I thought Fred got injured week 2 and hasn't played since?

The Fred incident was a non-factor as the Bills had no trouble blowing out the Colts. And keeping him wouldn't have led to any more wins.

As for hiring Rex, that turned out to be a mistake because of the defense. But he was a hot coaching candidate and was instrumental in getting TT here (although the jury is still out on whether he's a franchise QB). Not sure how good Jackson would have been without a QB.

I don't think he was as hot of a candidate as everyone thinks or the media made bit out to be. He was getting interviews, but most former HCs get interviewed when they coached somewhere for many years. But it seems the teams actual interest in him was overblown as it appears Atlanta and San Fran never really intended to hire him and Buffalo was the only team interested.

One of the best posts of the year. Pegs needs to let Whaley run the offseason, including firing Thurman and hiring a real DC, and stripping Rex of his DC powers. If Rex doesn't like it, he can take a hike and perhaps we get Hue Jackson.

when you own the team you can do what you want.. I love our owners

I love them as well. But they have a great football guy in Whaley. Don't stick him with a dumb a** coach. Should have let Whaley make the hire.

AJ McCarron looked decent yesterday for his first start (two horrific INT's, but decent overall). Hue would have had McCoy (that was Whaley) and likely Roman (props to Pegs for getting a great OC).

Both Whaley, & The Pegula's were in with Rex thats why they wanted a second interview. Even Brandon was in on it which may have been his last official football act !

I think Rex brings great enthusiasm to the team i just wish he would play to the strengths of his players ! He has got the D down when it comes to the running game but he needs to let the guys go for it more !

To have Mario dropping into coverage is utterly ridiculous !! He is one of the best at his job & has proved it the last 3 years well at least 2 yrs ! Just all this disguising & moving & crap he needs to go just let the guys play the way they know they can !

Schwartz let them go & they were the tops in the defense. I think the Bills can be really good but our coach first has to put his ego aside about "his scheme" & fire Thurmon the guy is a jerk !

I like Whaley. I was never a huge Rex fan, but I will admit, I get swept up in the excitement of having a "name" coach for a change. That said, you have to remember the situation at the time Rex was hired. Whaley himself was perceived as being on thin ice...he probably didn't have much of a choice, assuming he wanted to keep his job, other than to go along with what the new owners wanted.

As for Freddie, who cares at this point? Sure, I loved the guy, we all did. But he hasn't exactly lit the league on fire in Seattle. Even when they had injuries to their #1 guy, they had ps players and younger guys who were getting more time to play than Fred was. I am not saying he has no value, or that he couldn't have helped the Bills this season, but who would you have cut instead? Nobody can forsee all the injuries that will happen during the coarse of the season. You can't keep everyone. He has 24 carries for 89 yards (no TD's), 24 receptions for 191 yards (2 td).

If Whaley handled it poorly (and that is really all mostly speculation), so be it. That is what he is being paid for, to make the tough decisions. Pegula is a nice guy, and probably loyal to a fault. He needs an ax man, to make smart football decisions. As cliché as it is, it is all a part of the game. I am sure, once there is some distance, Fred Jackson will be able to put it in to perspective. He had a nice, long career in Buffalo. Considering where he came from, he could have just as easily had no NFL career.

Edited by Buftex

The problem with Rex is like most coaches, they all have big ego's and Rex may have one of the biggest of all. So Rex comes into town drooling of the defense he's inheriting and thinking to himself how much better they will even be with my amazing scheme. The players will love it and be even better, my scheme is so good, doesn't matter what the players natural strengths are, my system trumps all that. Hey it worked once before when I took over the Jets!

I'm not a Sabres fan, but when Pegula first bought the team, did he meddle in their affairs? Was the ridiculous contract to Ville Leino his idea?

No... his problem with the Sabres was that, perhaps, he didn't meddle enough. He put all his trust/faith in Darcy Regier, who were already in place, and doing a "meh" job for a while already. Not sure if the Lleno idea was his, but ultimately, he signed off on it. At the time, Lleno was coming off a great playoff run, and it was viewed as a "smart, progressive" sort of signing. But, it was a gamble that didn't pay off. Can't even be sure if Lleno would have been a much better player somewhere else. I won't blame Darcy for all the problems the Sabres had in those days, but he, like Pegula, was pretty loyal to "his" guys, even when the outside world could see that they were not going to work out. I don't think Whaley has shown the same tendency.

I like Whaley. I was never a huge Rex fan, but I will admit, I get swept up in the excitement of having a "name" coach for a change. That said, you have to remember the situation at the time Rex was hired. Whaley himself was perceived as being on thin ice...he probably didn't have much of a choice, assuming he wanted to keep his job, other than to go along with what the new owners wanted.

As for Freddie, who cares at this point? Sure, I loved the guy, we all did. But he hasn't exactly lit the league on fire in Seattle. Even when they had injuries to their #1 guy, they had ps players and younger guys who were getting more time to play than Fred was. I am not saying he has no value, or that he couldn't have helped the Bills this season, but who would you have cut instead? Nobody can forsee all the injuries that will happen during the coarse of the season. You can't keep everyone. He has 24 carries for 89 yards (no TD's), 24 receptions for 191 yards (2 td).

If Whaley handled it poorly (and that is really all mostly speculation), so be it. That is what he is being paid for, to make the tough decisions. Pegula is a nice guy, and probably loyal to a fault. He needs an ax man, to make smart football decisions. As cliché as it is, it is all a part of the game. I am sure, once there is some distance, Fred Jackson will be able to put it in to perspective. He had a nice, long career in Buffalo. Considering where he came from, he could have just as easily had no NFL career.

Man, I know everyone was excited for Rex. So was I. But it reeks of a non-football pr hire in retrospect. I could be wrong, maybe whaley was all for Rex. But I bet hue Jackson left thinking he had the gig because of how he got on with whaley. I know Bills fans, some of the more savvy ones would have liked Jackson, most would have whinged that he was a weak hire, only guy who would come here, etc...I doubt he would have messed with the defense. Maybe he would have had a shite offense. Who knows?

The point is I think whaley knew that Rex's defensive concepts would be implemented and that there would be a huge transition.

The pegulas? Rex has always had a good D. Why would he not have one here? Like most fans thought.

The roster was not built for a "Rex defense." I'll withhold judgment until after next season as I surmise we're about to see a fairly large roster overhaul on the defensive side of the ball. It's been evident for most of the season.

Now this doesn't excuse Rex for not being more malleable with his approach to the D. For that he deserves criticism. Bu part of me thinks he realized he needed to be stubborn to his scheme in order to enact change. Of course, this sucked more for us than anyone.

Where is this written that Pegula was behind cutting of Fred?? Even the Rex hire, there is no way you can convince me that he would have hired Rex if either DW or RB said no. They were alI on board too. I like Whaley and do hope he's brought back, hiring Rex probably was a mistake, but blaming this on Pegula for getting involved is laughable.

Pegula was not behind the FIRING of Fred. He was behind them KEEPING Fred last spring when Whaley wanted to cut him--when cutting Fred, no matter how much he was beloved, was the right decision. The OP did not phrase his post clearly.

The hiring of Rex was the fatal mistake, and this was the thing that the Pegulas made Whaley do. It's pretty clear I think that Wheley would not have hired Rex, and that he has trouble getting on the same page with Rex because the Pegulas give Rex too much power in hiring him, with that crazy system where Rex does not report to the GM but reports directly to the Pegulas.

That's why the Bills are in deep trouble now. The Rex-Whaley tandem is unstable. Unfortunately, the likely outcome is that they will fire Whaley when they ought to fire Rex.

That's why my fervent hope at this point is for the Bills to lose out the rest of the season, badly, culminating in humiliating blowout loss, at home, to the Jets in the last game of the season. That's the only likely scenario in which they Pegulas might fire Rex.

But I'm still afraid they will fire Whaley with him, or worse, INSTEAD of him. Then, count another couple of years of missing the playoffs before they dump Rex.

Edited by Dr. K

Everything related to Buffalo pro sports is Pegula's domain.

One cannot "interfere" in one's own business.

Also, Hugh Jackson doesn't play well with others. Didn't everyone hate Marrone for being a miserable hardass?