Chip Kelly outcoaches Bills

BADOLBILZ

For some inexplicable reason a myriad of Bills fans on TSW went out of their way to criticize Chip Kelly since he traded Lesean McCoy.

Today, he rammed it up your collective assses and effectively ENDED their season.

What it comes down to is that his inferior team, constructed with players of his choosing, executes football plays at a higher level than a Bills team that is all about high draft pick/high dollar playmaking individuals sloppily making big plays to win.

That's why he went 10-6 the past two seasons with talent that Rex would have went 6-10(or worse) with.

I love Greg Roman's ability to construct plays......but just as Rex crippled this team, costing them wins with his poor defensive gamelans early in the season........today, Roman over complicated things and his team just made error after error.

Edited by #BADOL

How do you figure Chip outcoached the Bills? By drawing up a clearly illegal pick play? By having TT overthrow a wide open Watkins by 10 yards? By having Roman call fly patterns on 3rd and 4? That said, if anything Roman was the best coach on the field. There were some nicely designed runs and formations.

The Bills aren't exactly some benchmark for out coaching a team for a win. It looked like the Eagles players were better than the Bills. No exotic strategy or genius coaching there. Chip wasn't impressive today and his player moves have largely stunk. That team would be better with McCoy than they are without him.

Ladies and gentlemen, the president of the chip kelly fan club

I just don't understand why Bills fans feel the need to go out of their way to look like idiots.

We haven't won 10 games in a season in 17 years and counting.

I know it stings because you live in Eagles country but y'all got a totally unnecessary helping of humble pie today.

Do the Bills not provide enough sh*t sandwiches for you guys?

I just don't understand why Bills fans feel the need to go out of their way to look like idiots.

I know it stings because you live in Eagles country but y'all got a totally unnecessary helping of humble pie today.

You realize that everyone here HATES Kelly right?

For some inexplicable reason a myriad of Bills fans on TSW went out of their way to criticize Chip Kelly since he traded Lesean McCoy.

Today, he rammed it up your collective assses and effectively ENDED their season.

What it comes down to is that his inferior team, constructed with players of his choosing, executes football plays at a higher level than a Bills team that is all about high draft pick/high dollar playmaking individuals sloppily making big plays to win.

That's why he went 10-6 the past two seasons with talent that Rex would have went 6-10(or worse) with.

I love Greg Roman's ability to construct plays......but just as Rex crippled this team, costing them wins with his poor defensive gamelans early in the season........today, Roman over complicated things and his team just made error after error.

Especially in the second half their DL dominated our OL. That was one of the main reasons, among many, why we lost. In a post prior to the game I predicted that the Eagles would win because their HC was simply a better coach. But that in itself isn't a major compliment because Rex is a very low standard to be compared to.

Are the Eagles from a talent standpoint better or worse? You are asking the wrong question. The more substantive question is which coach gets his team to play at the most optimal level. Whether Rex was coaching the Bills, Jets, Eagles his team would reflect his ineptitude and sloppiness. Regardless how talented his team was his team would be less disciplined and play with less intelligence than with a more competent coach.This organization hired someone whose record clearly demonstrated his incompetence. That's what is so infuriating with this odd hiring!

With great fanfare this organization touted this loud HC with a bad vaudeville act as someone who was going to lead this woebegone franchise to success. It gave this huckster a rich five year contract. The jokes on the organization. You get what you deserve.

Fine and Dandy, but Chip did not out coach the Bills, unless his game plan was to play possum and have the Bills offense implode with overconfidence.

Kind of a jerk post BADOL.

Kelly is clearly a better coach than Rex. Neither of them would be coaching this team successfully right now though. If Chip Kelly had come here back when we hired Marrone, he'd be long gone by now and the team would be a total mess from a talent standpoint. There is more to coaching than X's and O's. Kelly would've either worn out his welcome here or he would've parlayed any small amount of success into a different and better job by now, there is no question in my mind.

Rex is a bad coach. Kelly is a good game day coach but not a guy you'll ever really trust - he's a knives out, cunning self-promoter.

Really? Congrats to Chip for winning and not making any stupid mistakes, but it's kind of a stretch to say out-coached. 3 point game where the Bills shot themselves in the foot more than once.

I did not like a few of those 3rd down calls, though. I hate a low-percentage pass down the sideline on 3rd and 4. Not sure if Roman or Tyrod is to blame.

I didn't feel Kelly outcoached Ryan. We shot ourselves in the foot many times today. I thought the defensive gameplan was good enough to slow them down. The long TD on 2nd and forever was the fault of Graham and Graham alone, probably his only big error of the game.

On offense, I felt we should have tried a more frontal running attack, they were fast and disciplined defending Shady. TT wans't great today but good enough to get win. OL was shaky in pass pro.

Tighpen fumble.

Defensive breakdown on the long TD

Pre-snap penalties moving the Eagles closer to the 1st down marker.

Fine and Dandy, but Chip did not out coach the Bills, unless his game plan was to play possum and have the Bills offense implode with overconfidence.

Most of the replies.....including this one......only further my point.

Coaching isn't always about trying to fool your opponent.

Ryan and Roman are GREAT at that. But what they aren't great at is consistently putting their players in plays and schemes that they can execute.

There were dozens of examples of this today but perhaps none more obvious than putting Thigpen in for one play and having him commit a procedure penalty.

Way too much emphasis on trickery and not enough focus on execution.

And to Philly's coaches credit, their defensive scheme was not caught out of position.

This also obviously EXTENDS to the abysmal Crossman.

Why the hell is Schmidt punting the ball into the end zone from midfield at the end of the first half? Coffin corner for fuksake! Those yards cost them 3 points.

Knowing your special teams struggles, why punt to Sproles in the middle of the field? Just bad coaching.

Enh ... It was an exceedingly close game and in my opinion the Bills lost for one reason and one reason only: penalties--they killed Bills' drives and extended Eagles' drives all game. Th 5-yarders on the defense on third down were killers.

Of course, if you want to blame the penalty number on the coaching, that's fair. I don't think the Bills were outschemed though. Despite his Int, Mckelvin was otherwise terrible and exploitable, and fletcher cox simply dominated.

Edited by dave mcbride

Enh ... It was an exceedingly close game and in my opinion the Bills lost for one reason and one reason only: penalties--they killed Bills' drives and extended Eagles' drives all game. Th 5-yarders on the defense on third down were killers.

Of course, if you want to blame the penalty number on the coaching, that's fair. I don't think the Bills were outschemed though. Despite his Int' Mckelvin was otherwise terrible and exploitable, and fletcher cox simply dominated.

So ... you're saying it is on the coaching staff, right? Because if multiple guys/units are picking up penalties at double the rate of the opposition, I find it hard to imagine that you've just assembled 53 unusually penalty-prone players ...

So ... you're saying it is on the coaching staff, right? Because if multiple guys/units are picking up penalties at double the rate of the opposition, I find it hard to imagine that you've just assembled 53 unusually penalty-prone players ...

Yeah, sure, I won't argue that. I don't think the Bills were out-schemed though -- they moved the all all day and penalties killed one of their red zone possessions,

3/4 of the way through the season that could be a coaching issue

i'd agree with you 9 times of 10, and do not think this coaching staff is that great. i will touch on that in a minute.

today had a lot to do with how the bills players did not perform at their best level, made mistakes and played lackadaisical and aloof. i won't bandwagon the trash pile saying it was nice of mario to show up late or that watkins had two drops but at the end of the day the entire team did not put together solid games including McCoy who could not get to the next level partially due to his ol being engulfed by iggles.

if rex ryan simply stepped back to let the coordinators run the team and began only acting as a master assembler of the parts and info - a figure head, a head chief, etc we would be better off. i think we should get another guru on defense and do something to add to the front office.

ryan was not outcoached today. the bills did lose, kelly did not outcoach anyoen.

Of course, if you want to blame the penalty number on the coaching, that's fair. I don't think the Bills were outschemed though. Despite his Int, Mckelvin was otherwise terrible and exploitable, and fletcher cox simply dominated.

The penalties are ABSOLUTELY a coaching issue.

Failure to execute plays as they are drawn up and committing penalities are things that go hand in hand.

For Bills fans I harken back to the Mularkey/Jauron transition.

It's easy to forget in the blur of losing but they went from unwatchably sloppy under the wacky-wacky Mularkey to very precise under Jauron year one just by changing coaches.

I think continuity is obviously a help in executing schemes.........but just because you don't have that doesn't mean you can't execute at a high level.

It's up to the coaching staff to put players in position to succeed.

Yeah, sure, I won't argue that. I don't think the Bills were out-schemed though -- they moved the all all day and penalties killed one of their red zone possessions,

The Bills clearly have the better offensive players.

It's not close.

They carried the play in the first half.

But the situational footbal by the Bills in the first half was utterly atrocious.

I loved his brilliant coaching of his QB when he took that sack in an unforgivable situation to leave the door wide open for a Bills victory. That was pure genius.

Fortunately for him, his well coached special teams unit still flipped the field and made that play meaningless.

The call to throw was actually right.....the Bills probably run the ball there mistakenly thinking they shouldn't pass in that situation...... and then get stuffed and the clock still stops at 2:00.....then they punt and commit a penalty on the punt or allow a huge return to Sproles. :lol:

You know it's true. Bad coaches make bad decisions and worse excuses.

Kelly didn't have to make many tough decisions today he could just sit back and watch Rex and Roman kick themselves in the nuts all day.

Edited by #BADOL

Everyone has out coached Rex Ryan. He has shown that he is not a good NFL Head Coach. I was worring about the offense in the begining of the season then the D became the problem. The O needs some work but it was better then expected. The D played way worse then anyone could have thought. Thats all on Ryan.

The penalties are ABSOLUTELY a coaching issue.

Failure to execute plays as they are drawn up and committing penalities are things that go hand in hand.

For Bills fans I harken back to the Mularkey/Jauron transition.

It's easy to forget in the blur of losing but they went from unwatchably sloppy under the wacky-wacky Mularkey to very precise under Jauron year one just by changing coaches.

I think continuity is obviously a help in executing schemes.........but just because you don't have that doesn't mean you can't execute at a high level.

It's up to the coaching staff to put players in position to succeed.

The Bills clearly have the better offensive players.

It's not close.

They carried the play in the first half.

But the situational footbal by the Bills in the first half was utterly atrocious.

Fortunately for him, his well coached special teams unit still flipped the field and made that play meaningless.

The call to throw was actually right.....the Bills probably run the ball there mistakenly thinking they shouldn't pass in that situation...... and then get stuffed and the clock still stops at 2:00.....then they punt and commit a penalty on the punt or allow a huge return to Sproles. :lol:

You know it's true. Bad coaches make bad decisions and worse excuses.

Kelly didn't have to make many tough decisions today he could just sit back and watch Rex and Roman kick themselves in the nuts all day.

Throwing was absolutely the right call -- agreed. The 2 minute warning was gonna stop the clock anyway.

I don't disagree that penalties are about coaching.

Edited by dave mcbride

I loved his brilliant coaching of his QB when he took that sack in an unforgivable situation to leave the door wide open for a Bills victory. That was pure genius.

I like the part where they continued to give the ball back to the bills after pass breakups by Darby and Mckelvin. Kelly totally brought it !!

Kind of a jerk post BADOL.

Kelly is clearly a better coach than Rex. Neither of them would be coaching this team successfully right now though. If Chip Kelly had come here back when we hired Marrone, he'd be long gone by now and the team would be a total mess from a talent standpoint. There is more to coaching than X's and O's. Kelly would've either worn out his welcome here or he would've parlayed any small amount of success into a different and better job by now, there is no question in my mind.

Rex is a bad coach. Kelly is a good game day coach but not a guy you'll ever really trust - he's a knives out, cunning self-promoter.

That is rambling nonsense.

The guy won 10 games with middling prospect in Nick Foles at QB and then did it again with a throughly decoded and disgraced Mark Sanchez.

Kelly is a solid head coach who understands that you can win with sound, simple football.

I'm not saying he's anything more than that, but since you brought it up there is no reason whatsoever to think he couldn't have done the same or better in Buffalo.

Limited talent. Check.

Limited money to spend from traditionally frugal owner. Check.

The perception that Chip Kelly is some crazy egomaniac who acts against the best interest of the team is pretty rich coming from fans of a Rex Ryan lead team. :lol:

That is rambling nonsense.

The guy won 10 games with middling prospect in Nick Foles at QB and then did it again with a throughly decoded and disgraced Mark Sanchez.

Kelly is a solid head coach who understands that you can win with sound, simple football.

I'm not saying he's anything more than that, but since you brought it up there is no reason whatsoever to think he couldn't have done the same or better in Buffalo.

Limited talent. Check.

Limited money to spend from traditionally frugal owner. Check.

The perception that Chip Kelly is some crazy egomaniac who acts against the best interest of the team is pretty rich coming from fans of a Rex Ryan lead team. :lol:

Watch what happens this offseason. If I'm wrong about it, so be it.

Watch what happens this offseason. If I'm wrong about it, so be it.

There is nothing to watch. The good college jobs are taken.

The most likely result is that this offseason he gets Kaepernick or another guy who better fits what he wants to do and returns with a better team.

Will the guy ever win a Super Bowl? I tend to doubt it but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the playoffs most seasons.

Most of the replies.....including this one......only further my point.

Coaching isn't always about trying to fool your opponent.

Ryan and Roman are GREAT at that. But what they aren't great at is consistently putting their players in plays and schemes that they can execute.

There were dozens of examples of this today but perhaps none more obvious than putting Thigpen in for one play and having him commit a procedure penalty.

Way too much emphasis on trickery and not enough focus on execution.

And to Philly's coaches credit, their defensive scheme was not caught out of position.

This also obviously EXTENDS to the abysmal Crossman.

Why the hell is Schmidt punting the ball into the end zone from midfield at the end of the first half? Coffin corner for fuksake! Those yards cost them 3 points.

Knowing your special teams struggles, why punt to Sproles in the middle of the field? Just bad coaching.

Which is another way of saying that Rex didn't have control of his team. A tad different than Chip Kelly outcoaching the Bills