I am still concerned about this offense

ganesh

In spite of the win, there are still too many inconsistencies on the execution of this offense.

1. Play calling appears still bizarre..

2. No Watkins in the 2nd half on consecutive games now.

3. No true 2nd WR. Woods has been a disappointment. Losing Harvin was a big blow and the team did not have a backup plan

4. Clay needs to be more involved.

5. No bubble screens in the play book?

6. short-yard situations. We seems to keep missing critical 3rd and short situations.

7. When game is on the line, we don't see to have the ability to run out the clock.

1. I like Roman's run game but he has a very limited and basic passing attack, IMO.

2. See number one. After halftime, teams adjust. They need to find a way to get him open.

3. Agree.

4. Roman seems to use clay based on game plan, not necessity. I'm okay with this. He needs to make third down catches and be a force in the RZ.

5. Agree.

6. Play calling here has been questionable all year. They need to be able to line up and move the LOS. Missing Karlos has not helped.

7. Karlos again. I think he will be an excellence handcuff to McCoy in the 4th. He will wear down defenses and punish tacklers. Those extra few yards are crucial.

Pretty solid points. I'd like to see them bring in someone offensively to try and develop a better, more sophisticated route combinations. It seems like our passing offense has been, "Hey, throw it up to Sammy" and it has worked thus far. However, when teams take that away, we need a counter move. Motions, rubs, formations, alignments, etc.

1. I like Roman's run game but he has a very limited and basic passing attack, IMO.

2. See number one. After halftime, teams adjust. They need to find a way to get him open.

3. Agree.

4. Roman seems to use clay based on game plan, not necessity. I'm okay with this. He needs to make third down catches and be a force in the RZ.

5. Agree.

6. Play calling here has been questionable all year. They need to be able to line up and move the LOS. Missing Karlos has not helped.

7. Karlos again. I think he will be an excellence handcuff to McCoy in the 4th. He will wear down defenses and punish tacklers. Those extra few yards are crucial.

Pretty solid points. I'd like to see them bring in someone offensively to try and develop a better, more sophisticated route combinations. It seems like our passing offense has been, "Hey, throw it up to Sammy" and it has worked thus far. However, when teams take that away, we need a counter move. Motions, rubs, formations, alignments, etc.

And they did that a lot when they had Karlos WIlliams out of the backfield. They were throwing screens to Percy Harvin. Once both have gone, the short passing game has gone away.

Phrases like no backup plan for when there's any drop off from starter to backup bug me sometimes. Robert woods is having a rocky stretch but he's as talented a #3 and backup plan as you can get - even if he's not Percy harvin in his healthy prime.

Phrases like no backup plan for when there's any drop off from starter to backup bug me sometimes. Robert woods is having a rocky stretch but he's as talented a #3 and backup plan as you can get - even if he's not Percy harvin in his healthy prime.

Yep. You can't have 4 #1s at every position.

I'd be more concerned about the defense. Offense looks ok, not great but Taylor, McCoy, Clay, and Sammy are making plays.

Each has shown signs of greatness though (shady and Sammy more so) and when was the last time we could even say that at those 4 key positions?

Kind of surprised at the timing of this post. We just laid a beat down on one of the best defenses in the league.

The only time any of the drives stalled was when we dropped passes or committed bad penalties-- very correctable mistakes.

I think what you have seen is this team is going to run the ball 20 different ways and then back you off with deep throws. A pretty effective offense, considering we have one good receiver and a raw QB.

I forgot that harvin was thrown screens and passes at the line of scrimmage but the bills can't figure out to throw those to watkins. This is just ridiculous.

2 passes the second half the last two tight games is just wrong.

NE bills got the ball with 2 minutes and drove 30 yards in that time.

Vs. KC again the ball again with a chance and went nowhere (jax too)

Short yardage calls terrible too.

Kind of surprised at the timing of this post. We just laid a beat down on one of the best defenses in the league.

The only time any of the drives stalled was when we dropped passes or committed bad penalties-- very correctable mistakes.

I think what you have seen is this team is going to run the ball 20 different ways and then back you off with deep throws. A pretty effective offense, considering we have one good receiver and a raw QB.

Great points JR... Agree 100%

We just put up 30 points and 390 yards against a defense that had allowed 35 points TOTAL in the previous 4 games and no more than 268 yards in any of those games. A lot of people just can never be satisfied I guess.

Edited by Mark80

We're definitely seeing the same things OP. I'm encouraged by the progress we've seen over the course of the year considering all the injuries. It's a whole new system, new coaches, new QB... it takes time to get it down. But things are coming along, and a HUGE part of that has been Shady's ability to establish the running game for us. Really cannot overstate how much of a difference that has made to this offense. That was an amazing trade on Whaley's part (although I'm kind of wishing we had given them Woods instead of Alonso).

I'm also baffled that we don't try bubble screens to Sammy... at all. He gets a cushion from corners on a lot of plays. There should just be some sort of audible system where on first or second down,Tyrod has the option to check it to a screen to Sammy if they're in the right formation (i.e. a slot receiver is on his side that can block) and the defense is giving him a cushion. Watkins was just too damn good with the ball in his hands and especially on screens at Clemson not to try this at least once a game. He's more than a deep threat receiver, and we should be getting him more touches.

It's frustratingly similar to how HackMarrone refused to try screens with CJ. He was a beast on them with Gailey, but some coaches are more wedded to their vision than what actually works. Hoping Roman will continue to make adjustments.

Edited by DC Greg

We're definitely seeing the same things OP. I'm encouraged by the progress we've seen over the course of the year considering all the injuries. It's a whole new system, new coaches, new QB... it takes time to get it down. But things are coming along, and a HUGE part of that has been Shady's ability to establish the running game for us. Really cannot overstate how much of a difference that has made to this offense. That was an amazing trade on Whaley's part (although I'm kind of wishing we had given them Woods instead of Alonso).

I'm also baffled that we don't try bubble screens to Sammy... at all. He gets a cushion from corners on a lot of plays. There should just be some sort of audible system where on first or second down,Tyrod has the option to check it to a screen to Sammy if they're in the right formation (i.e. a slot receiver is on his side that can block) and the defense is giving him a cushion. Watkins was just too damn good with the ball in his hands and especially on screens at Clemson not to try this at least once a game. He's more than a deep threat receiver, and we should be getting him more touches.

It's frustratingly similar to how HackMarrone refused to try screens with CJ. He was a beast on them with Gailey, but some coaches are more wedded to their vision than what actually works. Hoping Roman will continue to make adjustments.

Agreed. But the real issue is that Rex touted this Defense as the #1 in the FL and they are far from it. He then expected that the O would be below average at best but could rely on the D. That hasn't been the case and they haven't addressed it with play calling. That the Bills are last in YAC and that SW one of the most dynamic receivers after the catch in college is 207th in the NFL is unfathomable.

Add to that the inability to run a hurry-up offense, SW and no where near enough targets, convert 3rd & shorts + most 3 & outs in the league there is plenty of room for improvement.

Interesting to be surprised by a post regarding concern about the offenses ability to be consistently good when in your own post you essentially finish with "they did pretty well despite these obvious concerns that would jeopardize their long term consistency"

Though with woods and clay and McCoy out of the backfield you seem to discount their receiving options too much.

Keep in mind that this is TT's 1st year as a starter. I think the philosophy of going with a ground and pound attack and sprinkling in some shots down field is a good one. The are not a lot of route combinations because we simply do not throw often and that is good for a 1st yr starting QB. TT is doing great so far. His numbers are fantastic. As time goes by though, I think Buffalo's aerial attack will become more sophisticated.

Personally, I think the coaches are doing the right thing and bringing TT along at a steady pace. We are seeing an improved chemistry with Sammy. That catch in the endzone where Woods cut back to catch the TD was a well timed shot. There is a lot to like about what they are doing. We aren't done yet either. Even Hogan has looked pretty good this year. Taylor is progressing and as he does so will the passing game.

Edited by Rockinon

In spite of the win, there are still too many inconsistencies on the execution of this offense.

3. No true 2nd WR. Woods has been a disappointment. Losing Harvin was a big blow and the team did not have a backup plan

6. short-yard situations. We seems to keep missing critical 3rd and short situations.

7. When game is on the line, we don't see to have the ability to run out the clock.

givin our limitations first year starting qb who's brand new to you (O-line and missing peices off and on - Henderson/Miller) and injuries (McCoy/Karlos/Watkins/Harvin even Gray) Roman has done a great job 9 of 12 games we have put up 21 or better..we are throwing it 25 times a game not 50. We're 10th in offense yards and 10th in scoring and if Carp wasnt struggling we could easily be as high as 6th

Sammy had a incomplete pass 3rd quarter Mulligan holding.....big 3rd down 15 conversion of 38 yards deep down the middle lead to a missed Field Goal

Woods is a good number 2 again your comparing to a team that throws it much more than Buffalo does. You want 10 deep at each spot and everyone is good, unrealistic

Clay was more involved last week has 9 receptions last 2 weeks

Screens require the most important element- lineman who can run, although were better than last year still not gonna get out front too much

Line is not people movers and we have a tiny qb, we've gone to the pulling guard even in short yardage

Game on the line took over at 2:32 scored the go ahead touchdown

Edited by CardinalScotts

And prior two weeks down by a TD with the ball we went nowhere..... The 2 minute offense vs. NE was pathetic. The second half vs. KC was putrid (as was NYJ). Not blaming TT at all. Blaming terrible playcalling and forgetting Watkins is on the Bills.

The Houston game was a great run by McCoy and a blown coverage...... All credit goes to TT for reading it and making the play.

You do realize the Bills rank 10th in scoring?

Everyone was concerned about the offense and just assumed we'd automatically be a top 5 defense. Well, the offense has been better than expected and the D is a shell of what it has been the last few years. So, not sure what you're expecting but I'm more concerned with our D returning to dominant form.

Interesting to be surprised by a post regarding concern about the offenses ability to be consistently good when in your own post you essentially finish with "they did pretty well despite these obvious concerns that would jeopardize their long term consistency"

Though with woods and clay and McCoy out of the backfield you seem to discount their receiving options too much.

Well, I am judging the offense based on its production, not its personnel. With who they have and their scheme, I would think people would be pleasantly surprised at the offensive production. We are top 5 in rushing and top 10 in points per game.

woods is a great number 2 and has 3 years of proof, he doesnt get many chances nowadays and he blocks like a madman to boot. Harvin was another number 1 who gets hurt every year and becomes a number 0.

All the other problems in the offense stem from one thing. NOT THROWING DOWN THE MIDDLE... hence no clay, no rack yards. and not as many easy third down conversions. Watkins is the reason screens arent called and balls dont go for rac yards as well, hes afraid to stay on his feet after the catch.

Agreed. But the real issue is that Rex touted this Defense as the #1 in the FL and they are far from it. He then expected that the O would be below average at best but could rely on the D. That hasn't been the case and they haven't addressed it with play calling. That the Bills are last in YAC and that SW one of the most dynamic receivers after the catch in college is 207th in the NFL is unfathomable.

Add to that the inability to run a hurry-up offense, SW and no where near enough targets, convert 3rd & shorts + most 3 & outs in the league there is plenty of room for improvement.

Oh no I completely agree. Defense is far more concerning than the gripes with the O in this thread and the additional ones you've pointed out above, which are valid. All in all the O is much improved over last year and very encouraging.

You do realize the Bills rank 10th in scoring?

Doesn't mean there aren't still big issues with it as a whole, like the point bolded above. The D's decline is a much bigger concern, but the O has a lot of room to improve, as well.

Greg Roman designs the gameplans as if he has a below average QB. That's the part that should concern you. For the most part, it seems like Greg Roman tells Tyrod what to do with the ball before each play. Kind of like what a college coach does with their QBs. This should concern you for 2 reasons: 1) Greg Roman wants a head coaching gig, and he will probably get one soon, so he will be gone. 2) It means that he thinks (wrong or right) that Tyrod is not a great quarterback.

Edited by UBBullsfan

I am very concerned about the lack of a deep threat across from Watkins. This offense relies on running the ball then hitting the deep ball to not only score, but also to keep defenses honest and open up short and intermediate routes. It's going to be a problem when playing good teams.

I agree with a lot of this, and to mention that when the Bills are able to run more then they throw it they have won every game. So its very important to get the run game working, and not get to far behind in the score.

This years WR corps was supposed to be one of the strongest areas on the team, and now the Bills basically have Watkins, Woods, and Hogan. Robert Woods is not playing anywhere near what you would expect from a #2 draft pick, and a 3rd year receiver. Look at what those #2's in Green Bay have been able to do. Dunno what his problem is, but I hope he can step up his play.

You would think that the Bills would involve Clay more, and perhaps they use him more as a blocker.

That said with Tyrod Taylor playing so well I'd hope the Bills draft a WR in either the first, second round this year.

We just put up 30 points and 390 yards against a defense that had allowed 35 points TOTAL in the previous 4 games and no more than 268 yards in any of those games. A lot of people just can never be satisfied I guess.

Mark80, you may be satisfied with a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 16 years but a lot of other fans expect a little better product for their money. You are one of the main reasons Buffalo is known as the "city of good losers" around the league. You're one of those fans who are just happy to have a team no matter how bad they stink. A lot of other fans want to feel what its like to have a winning team that has a legitimate chance to make the post season.

I bet you're also happy with the Sabres another loser that has been in last place since Carter was president.

I'd be more concerned about the defense. Offense looks ok, not great but Taylor, McCoy, Clay, and Sammy are making plays.

I think you should be concerned with both the offense and defense. Both sides are not playing better than .500 ball. That won't get you into the playoffs. It's mind boggling how Ryan could take a defense that was 4th in the league and drag them down to the bottom half of the league.

I would bring Schwarz back and make him assistant head coach and def coordinator, with a huge pay raise. If Ryan doesn't like it fire him. I can see it's true what Jets fans were saying about Ryan. He's just a wind bag full of hot air. He spouts off and talks the talk but he isn't capable of walking the walk. I remember last year before they played the Bills the second time. Ryan said there was no way the Bills could beat them again. He said it was going to be a lot different the second time around because the Jets were a lot better than the Bills. The Bills went in there and blew the Jets out by 30 or 40 points.

The guy is a complete idiot. He came to Buffalo and when asked about the playoffs he said, "get ready, we're going". LOL The only way they're going is if they buy tickets and sit in the stands.

I think you should be concerned with both the offense and defense. Both sides are not playing better than .500 ball. That won't get you into the playoffs. It's mind boggling how Ryan could take a defense that was 4th in the league and drag them down to the bottom half of the league.

I would bring Schwarz back and make him assistant head coach and def coordinator, with a huge pay raise. If Ryan doesn't like it fire him. I can see it's true what Jets fans were saying about Ryan. He's just a wind bag full of hot air. He spouts off and talks the talk but he isn't capable of walking the walk. I remember last year before they played the Bills the second time. Ryan said there was no way the Bills could beat them again. He said it was going to be a lot different the second time around because the Jets were a lot better than the Bills. The Bills went in there and blew the Jets out by 30 or 40 points.

The guy is a complete idiot. He came to Buffalo and when asked about the playoffs he said, "get ready, we're going". LOL The only way they're going is if they buy tickets and sit in the stands.

Then there are fans like you that just dont live in reality

Schwartz isnt coming back

They are all in on Rex with the contract he got

Live with it....or move on