Bruce Smith on CNBC

Bob in Mich

Is being articulate not a requirement to being a good broadcaster?

He's saying that it is insulting to a black person to be described as "articulate", when you rarely hear it about white people, as though it is thought to be common for white people to be articulate, but if a black person is, it is worth note, as so few of them are.

He's saying that it is insulting to a black person to be described as "articulate", when you rarely hear it about white people, as though it is thought to be common for white people to be articulate, but if a black person is, it is worth note, as so few of them are.

I know exactly what he's saying. He's still incorrect.

Tell me the next time you hear someone specifically mention how "articulate" a non-black athlete is.

Carry on.

To be fair, his athleticism next to the high motor , lunch bucket Hansen was a great combo.

Edited by plenzmd1

I know exactly what he's saying. He's still incorrect.

My mama (and Beerball) told me not to call people names on the board. So I won't.

.To be fair, his athleticism next to the high motor , lunch bucket Hansen was a great combo.

Yeah, it's really unfortunate Hansen was such a marble-mouth, though.

Did they tell you not to allude that some folks are racists too?

I used a "slapping the head" emoticon. If that was too rough for you, I suggest you find another hobby.

I really don't have time for folks like you who bury their heads in the sand and don't appreciate the subtleties of word choice.

I used a "slapping the head" emoticon. If that was too rough for you, I suggest you find another hobby.

I really don't have time for folks like you who bury their heads in the sand and don't appreciate the subtleties of word choice.

Yeah, to allude he was a racist.

Don't get defensive because I called you out. You don't have time to defend your clearly flawed world-view? Shocker.

Geez. So which white guys speak eloquently?

I do.

Edited by FireChan

Of course not.

We usually agree on most things football, although it appears as if not most things sociopolitically. I realize with all that's going on in the world, this is not a big deal and I am sure that black people have 1,000 things to worry about that are more pressing than occasionally being called "articulate" when they are in fact articulate. But my question for you is that if you understand what BTMV said (which he stated very articulately himself by the way), what is it exactly that he is "wrong" about? I guess what I'm saying is that while this is not a topic that should really draw the ire of anyone and I would think someone would be more than a little sensitive for getting overly offended by someone else referring to Bruce Smith as "articulate," surely you wouldn't argue that a higher percentage of black sports analysts who are in fact articulate don't get dignified as "articulate" than white ones? I mean, regardless of how offensive or not offensive it might be to anyone, it's definitely a thing, right?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

We usually agree on most things football, although it appears as if not most things sociopolitically. I realize with all that's going on in the world, this is not a big deal and I am sure that black people have 1,000 things to worry about that are more pressing than occasionally being called "articulate" when they are in fact articulate. But my question for you is that if you understand what BTMV said (which he stated very articulately himself by the way), what is it exactly that he is "wrong" about? I guess what I'm saying is that while this is not a topic that should really draw the ire of anyone and I would think someone would be more than a little sensitive for getting overly offended by someone else referring to Bruce Smith as "articulate," surely you wouldn't argue that a higher percentage of black sports analysts who are in fact articulate don't get dignified as "articulate" than white ones? I mean, regardless of how offensive or not offensive it might be to anyone, it's definitely a thing, right?

He's wrong that it's insulting. BTMV didn't make the original comment, by the way.

I think it's probably a thing that more black athletes are complimented by being called articulate. The reasons for that are up for debate.

Edited by FireChan

To get back to the point the poster was saying, it is nice to see Bruce is doing well and I agree that he could have been a great game analyst. He chose another path and that is great. He sure gave us some great memories including that Super bowl sack of Hostetler for a safety.

To put us up 12-3. First touchdown by... #30 Don Smith- a one yard plunge if I recall correctly. Then Stephen Baker Touchdown Maker made it 12-10 before the half, which was a huge momentum swinger. Not sure why I care to relive this.

He's wrong that it's insulting. BTMV didn't make the original comment, by the way.

OK that's an argument. I didn't understand what you were saying was wrong. And BTMV was the one who laid out nice and neatly what the discussion here was so I was going off of his comment. Do you disagree with my contention that a higher percentage of black analysts are referred to as "articulate" when they are vs. white ones?

I suggest someone saying a black athlete was articulate was too rough for you. Not PC enough for you?

That's the problem, everyone is too sensitive about everything.