A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

Good stuff here Bill. My thoughts:

1) We have our Russell Wilson.

2) Linebacker play and depth is still a huge issue for this team - Lawson simply cannot run anymore.

3) Colton Schmidt should've caught that snap - but he is an all-pro punter. Wasn't his best game but I really trust him back there.

4) The o-line had a pretty terrible first half and a pretty solid second half. It bugs me that they seem unable to convert on short, important third downs. Miller in particular needs to get stronger.

5) Darby is not just rookie of the year at this point - he is one of the top cornerbacks in the NFL and, in my opinion, is a better player than Gilmore already. Sick draft pick. His natural skills are off the charts good, but you can tell that he also puts in a ton of work in the film room - he's running the WRs routes for them most of the time. Gilmore may be expendable next year if they decide to address other priorities, like Glenn and some FA linebackers.

6) Dareus was a beast last night.

7) Why were the Jets throwing it short of the sticks on 4th down? It happened what, twice? They have big, tall receivers so I guess that's the thinking? But it was very, very stupid.

8) How does the NFL screw up clock stoppages in multiple primetime games? The forward progress explanation is total B.S. - Clay ran out of bounds! Is it me or has the NFL's officiating hit an all-time low? The replacement refs were better than this.

9) I love Sammy but he needs to re-focus himself a bit, he had a really bad game with the exception of that key first down catch. He mis-timed his jump on the opening drive and then dropped what would've been a huge gain (and I think a TD). He spent way too much time jawing with Revis yesterday and not enough time making plays when it mattered. Dude needs to become more consistent.

10) Speaking of consistency, Robert Woods has been consistently bad. He runs his routes too short (he's the new Hogan, constantly 1 yard shy of the first down marker) and generally does not gain enough separation. I'm not sure what his issue is, but his play seems to have declined from last season. WR is a big priority for this team this offseason.

Great job Gotham Bill as usual. I thought our corners played a terrific game. Gilmore and Darby are one of the best tandems in the league. Having McKelvin back enhances the backside.

I thought McCoy was the MVP of the game for us. He made some neat instinctive moves to make a positive play out of probable negative play. Roman is going the run the ball even against a good DL. Probably the right strategy to take some pressure off of TT.

No doubt Watkins is our primary receiver. The problem I have with the passing game is that the ball distribution is limited. Robert Woods is the invisible receiver. The few times he was thrown to were mostly short safety valve type passes.

I still respectfully but strenuously with you on encouraging TT to run more. He noticeably is limping and contending with a bad knee that he has plagued him all season long. I don't even know who is the backup qb? What happened to EJ? He wasn't on the active roster.

The defense might have some issues but in this game the clean tackles made in critical situations were a major factor in the outcome.

The one trait that I admire about TT is that he is a smart and mature qb. He didn't force the issue as Fitz has a tendency to do.He has an understanding of playing within the flow of the game and situational awareness. Especially on third downs if the play isn't there he usually doesn't force it and risk turning the ball over.

Edited by JohnC

1.) wow we look pretty darn good on both sides

2.) holy crud what's happening with us?!?

3.) good plays in the end but shouldn't have gotten that close!!

4.) why run Taylor after he was limping? Maybe play action call rolling on the run but not where he's getting clobbered.

5.) struggled but came in clutch plays.

6.) Watkins didn't have a huge game but the crucial first down ball he caught with a couple mins left at the end of the game. He also should of had that first catch! Mistimed jump.

7.) Shadys back.

8.) RAAAMBOO!

9.) overall glad we got the big W

10.) I can't wait till the Pats game after this momentum!! Hopefully we get Mario back for sure! Along with a couple others at full health!

A win's a win, but is there anything anyone saw out there last night to make us think that either of these teams is ready to compete with the big boys? I will consider a playoff appearance a major win this year -- that's the first step, the goal for the past decade and a half. Much as I'd love to see it, I can't be optimistic about the next game ..

Jets reminded me of a mirror image of ourselves:

- subpar QB

- good defense but yet folds at the wrong time

- offense that goes into hybernation

- questionable coaching decisions....going for it on 4th and 4 when a FG would have cut lead to 2 and then counting on your D that had shut down Bills to get the ball back with 2+ mins left and an FG wins

- costly turnovers, drops, and penalties

Fortunately they were more Bills-like tonight than we were

Hah! That about says it. And as for the 4th down decisions -- don't forget there was also the weird decision NOT to go for 2 after their first TD. It was 22-9. A 2-point conversion puts them within a TD + FG of tying the game. A missed extra point still leaves them in the same situation as a made extra point. Just weird decisionmaking all along by Bowles

17/27, 158 yards, 1 TD, 4 sacks

missing big strike to Watkins on opening play

making bad decision to take sack outside tackle box instead of throwing it away, costing us position in red zone

supposed to be mobile but consistently taking a lot of sacks game after game

not seeing the whole field (although I was happy with the finding Karlos over the middle late in the progression)

etc etc etc

taking away the kickoff fumble recovery for TD, the offense had 15 points, and majority of them were setup by turnovers too

big whup, taylor is not the reason we won that game ... silly to think otherwise. Best he can do is not lose if for us. But hopefully he continues to show some signs of improvement

Against one of the best defenses in the league, who held Tom Brady in check for 3 quarters just a couple week ago, on a short week. Did TT play amazing last night? No, but he made enough plays to win and limited the TOs. That's fine with me. I wouldn't call that subpar QB play because he didn't do anything that would cause the Bills to lose. He did enough.

Against one of the best defenses in the league, who held Tom Brady in check for 3 quarters just a couple week ago, on a short week. Did TT play amazing last night? No, but he made enough plays to win and limited the TOs. That's fine with me. I wouldn't call that subpar QB play because he didn't do anything that would cause the Bills to lose. He did enough.

Yep^^^^^^^^^. Tired of those on here who are 100% negative!

11) McCoy played hard tonight. He had to fight for many of those yards.

First, it's great having you back Bill. Your post-game thoughts are not replaceable.

As for McCoy, running for 112 against that defense is impressive. Wilkerson, Leonard Williams, and Sheldon Richardson may be the scariest DL in the NFL and that includes Buffalo's. Clearly the difference maker Rex envisioned when they made the move and while I know he'll get taken down for losses, he's a guy defenses have to account for.

I am beginning to come around on this thought that Taylor is their guy going forward, provided he remains healthy of course. He doesn't turn it over, has good accuracy on short to intermediate routes and can make the deep throw. If Sammy doesn't mistime his jump on that first possession, Tyrod is 18-27 for 200+ yards.

Tyrod seems to process and adapt to the game. I know he's not reading the entire field, but I think he has the aptitude to do that, whereas it was clear EJ wasn't able to do that. No dig on EJ, just that NFL QB's have a ceiling and Tyrod hasn't reached his.

It was 3 weeks ago they played pats, and they gave up 30.

Week after they gave up 34 in a loss to raiders

Last week 23 to jags

It's well documented that defense wasnt as good coming into this game as it was to start the season. Revis should have been burned for an 80 yard TD on their first play. If there was a star on offense it was the offensive line...biggest running lanes I've seen them have all season. 148 on the ground, just 10 less than we had thru the air

Edited by JTSP

Nice "thoughts" Bill. With #5: Glad you gave props to Rambo. The guy had a career game!!!

#6: Agree. But that game was in Fitz's hand when they were deep in our Red Zone in the 4th qtr & he had time to throw! He never should have been afforded that.

#8: Revis did have his hands full. Personally, I wished they would have gone to that pass to Watkins again that they attempted on our first drive. Sammy had the jump on him & that ball just barely missed. That would have been a sure 6.

Last but not least, #7: nice lyrics.......Go Bills.

It was 3 weeks ago they played pats, and they gave up 30.

Week after they gave up 34 in a loss to raiders

Last week 23 to jags

It's well documented that defense wasnt as good coming into this game and it was to start the season. Revis should have been burned for an 80 yard TD on their first play. If there was a star on offense it was the offensive line...biggest running lanes I've seen them have all season. 148 on the ground, just 10 less than we had thru the air

Apparently you didn't see where I said "kept in check for 3 quarters". Tom Brady still went off in the 4th quarter because he's Tom Brady. The defense wasn't "as good" as what? The Jets defense is still very good. If you were expecting to see the TT that played against an average Colts defense or a poor Miami defense, I think your expectations are a bit off. Like I said, he did enough, he protected the ball and he threw a TD pass. He mad mental mistakes and left plays on the field but your comment that its subpar QB play implies he did absolutely nothing in this game and the Bills won in spite of him.

Fitzpatrick certainly had subpar QB play because he turned the ball over twice and that contributed to the Jets losing.

It's kind of comforting to see that Fitz is still Fitz and Chan is still Chan.

Fitz: Will keep you in the game, and give you a chance to win. But will ALWAYS throw a pick on the last drive to end the game. I looked like some sort of psychic genius to my fiancee last night. She didnt watch football back when Fitz was with the Bills, and was getting really down about their comeback. I told her "Dont worry. When it counts the most, Fitz will throw it right to us to end the game", and that's exactly what happened. We've all lived it.

Chan: Need 4 yards? Throw for 2. Need 2 yards? Throw it 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. And dont forget to abandon the run.

A couple points I'd like to make.

1. Shady was tremendous and really gave the offense a boost last night. That last series really sealed the win even though the Jets got it back. There were a couple of runs where he looked like he would lose yards and ended up positive. That is a huge difference for us this year.
  2. Fitz had several passes that were totally off the mark. Their defense forced so many 3 and outs and he couldn't take advantage with receivers who seemed to have beaten the Bill CBs. I figured he was good for a few picks but was surprised with the inaccuracy.

Apparently you didn't see where I said "kept in check for 3 quarters". Tom Brady still went off in the 4th quarter because he's Tom Brady. The defense wasn't "as good" as what? The Jets defense is still very good. If you were expecting to see the TT that played against an average Colts defense or a poor Miami defense, I think your expectations are a bit off. Like I said, he did enough, he protected the ball and he threw a TD pass. He mad mental mistakes and left plays on the field but your comment that its subpar QB play implies he did absolutely nothing in this game and the Bills won in spite of him.

Fitzpatrick certainly had subpar QB play because he turned the ball over twice and that contributed to the Jets losing.

Fine with me if you want to use the word "average" to describe his play. I know I've just seen a lot better out there. But he did not win that game for us. Best that can be said is that he didn't lose it Edited by JTSP

In the rain and wind to boot!

People on this board are crazy - a QB has to be perfect to get accolades on TBD. Give me a guy that wins and shows heart like Tyrod did and I'll take my changes... :beer:

In the rain and wind to boot!

People on this board are crazy - a QB has to be perfect to get accolades on TBD. Give me a guy that wins and shows heart like Tyrod did and I'll take my changes... :beer:

Here, here! :beer: :beer:

And as it's been mentioned, even when Taylor has an "off" night, he doesnt kill you with turnovers. He still gives you a chance to win and at least manages the game.

2) Linebacker play and depth is still a huge issue for this team - Lawson simply cannot run anymore.

3) Colton Schmidt should've caught that snap - but he is an all-pro punter. Wasn't his best game but I really trust him back there.

4) The o-line had a pretty terrible first half and a pretty solid second half. It bugs me that they seem unable to convert on short, important third downs. Miller in particular needs to get stronger.

5) Darby is not just rookie of the year at this point - he is one of the top cornerbacks in the NFL and, in my opinion, is a better player than Gilmore already. Sick draft pick. His natural skills are off the charts good, but you can tell that he also puts in a ton of work in the film room - he's running the WRs routes for them most of the time. Gilmore may be expendable next year if they decide to address other priorities, like Glenn and some FA linebackers.

6) Dareus was a beast last night.

7) Why were the Jets throwing it short of the sticks on 4th down? It happened what, twice? They have big, tall receivers so I guess that's the thinking? But it was very, very stupid.

8) How does the NFL screw up clock stoppages in multiple primetime games? The forward progress explanation is total B.S. - Clay ran out of bounds! Is it me or has the NFL's officiating hit an all-time low? The replacement refs were better than this.

9) I love Sammy but he needs to re-focus himself a bit, he had a really bad game with the exception of that key first down catch. He mis-timed his jump on the opening drive and then dropped what would've been a huge gain (and I think a TD). He spent way too much time jawing with Revis yesterday and not enough time making plays when it mattered. Dude needs to become more consistent.

10) Speaking of consistency, Robert Woods has been consistently bad. He runs his routes too short (he's the new Hogan, constantly 1 yard shy of the first down marker) and generally does not gain enough separation. I'm not sure what his issue is, but his play seems to have declined from last season. WR is a big priority for this team this offseason.

Great article in the BN explaining how Gilmore has helped mentor Darby. They watch a lot of film together, something Gilmore explains no other vets did with him while he was a rookie. As for letting Gilmore walk, I don't think Rex is going to let the Revis/Cromartie departure fiasco happen all over again. Plus he's really freaking good.

A good effort by the whole team.

The Defense helped the Offense out in this game. Something I don't recall seeing happen (or so it has appeared that way to me).

It was also good to see the 2 fumble recoveries and 2 INT's!

what was lacking -

Third Down Efficiency 5/16 - 31%
Times Sacked (Number-Yards) 4 - 26

Did Mario have the flu? I heard one mention of him being in the locker rom and that was it.

I heard the announcers on TV saying he was feeling ill. I too thought of the flu.

17/27, 158 yards, 1 TD, 4 sacks

missing big strike to Watkins on opening play

You are blaming Tyrod for things that were not his fault.

Sammy played a clutch game but he clearly left his feet too soon on the opening play.

4 sacks? Not bad with an average OL, and playing against a monster DL, this on the road.

The bottom line with Tyrod is that the kid is good. Is there room to improve? Sure, and there is no reason to think that he will not get better with time.

I'm liking it. :)

Edited by Bill from NYC

4 sacks? Not bad with an average OL, and playing against a monster DL, this on the road.

I need to ask. Did you ever criticize EJ for taking these types of sacks? I believe a bunch of the EJ sucks crowd has which drips with irony

4 sacks a game is unacceptable. period.

Sammy played a clutch game but he clearly left his feet too soon on the opening play.

The bottom line with Tyrod is that the kid is good. Is there room to improve? Sure, and there is no reason to think that he will not get better with time.

I'm liking it. :)

Ah, Bills fans. Hope springs ever eternal.

I need to ask. Did you ever criticize EJ for taking these types of sacks? I believe a bunch of the EJ sucks crowd has which drips with irony4 sacks a game is unacceptable. period.

Will you ever give this a rest ? Ej's in the past. You and Metz both are insanely repetitive on the Ej stuff. No one cares.

I need to ask. Did you ever criticize EJ for taking these types of sacks? I believe a bunch of the EJ sucks crowd has which drips with irony

4 sacks a game is unacceptable. period.

I've never really jumped into the EJ fracas on here in earnest, but I don't think this is a great comparison. Tyrod has negative plays like Barry Sanders had negative plays - they're balanced out by the possibility of positive running plays a la the Titans game (note: I'm not equating Tyrod to Sanders as a player). EJ was a disappointment on the scrambling front (and as a passer, of course), so it was harder to endure his negative sacks/plays.

Edited by NickelCity

One last thing... I can't stand it when the broadcast shifts to (ex NFL referee) Mike Carey, for his "expert" opinions when penalties are called.

Just get on with the friggin' game!

Except that even HE agreed the refs blew the spot on our first challenged call. There was no way a challenge would get that type of play overturned, but typically Carey falls in line with whatever the refs call. Not last night. They were so bad, they werent worth risking whatever cred he has built up over his career.

Except that even HE agreed the refs blew the spot on our first challenged call. There was no way a challenge would get that type of play overturned, but typically Carey falls in line with whatever the refs call. Not last night. They were so bad, they werent worth risking whatever cred he has built up over his career.

They had a handful of horrible ball spots. It pissed me off for sure. I thought the first one (that was challenged) was so egregious that it was a good challenge. I guess I was wrong.

Will you ever give this a rest ? Ej's in the past. You and Metz both are insanely repetitive on the Ej stuff. No one cares.

I have tried just read my posts over the past 2 weeks. Today it seems EJ is a hot topic so I invoked his name.

Do you agree or disagree that 4 sacks per game is bad?

Do you agree or disagree that punting shinola on 4 sacks being acceptable because he uses his feet well as a valid excuse?

Poll Please Yolo

Do you agree or disagree that 4 sacks per game is bad?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

They had a handful of horrible ball spots. It pissed me off for sure. I thought the first one (that was challenged) was so egregious that it was a good challenge. I guess I was wrong.

Oh, I agree it should have been challenged, if for no other reason than to let the refs know that **** wont fly. It's just very difficult to get those types of spots moved since it was midfield, the runner was standing up, and there were no good reference points.