Unconventional, New Strategy Needed to Stop the Patriots?

jethro_tull

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude. I think no one wants to make you feel bad.

If you rush 9 and they have a 4 wr set, you will have 2 wr open. If Brady is in shotgun, what do you think he will do. You cant rush 9 when 2 wrs are wide open... C'mon man..

I agree with a new strategy. But yours stinks.

He meant, in four wide all the players are pressed and stifled from getting a release on a DB.

You can defend the space with blocking up until five yards, cant you? thats about two seconds i might geuss .

no one gets to run the pattern correctly.

drive me nuts watching Bills get quirky with the zone against the quick throws. Punch them in the mouth at the line and keep them in front of you for five yards. Disrupt disrupt disrupt timing against the quick throw.

All out blitz every play until you hurt Brady. That's the only way you're going to so him is to injure him.

I was going to post something like this.

If you really want to think outside the box, injure Brady. Removing him from the game is how you defeat him.

Play 2 minute hurry up offense the entire game.

Because you NEED a TD on almost every drive to beat them. You might have the luxury of one or two punts. Any more and you might as well not even take the field.

And no FGs. 3's are worthless. You need lots of 7's. Maybe even 8s

The problem is that every team thinks they can hold them down. The Jets held them to 16 going into the 4th quarter. They finished with 30.

They are GOING to get to 30, so you have to as well. Thinking otherwise is just a doomed proposition.

Adopting a 4 down approach to conversions is an interesting idea, say, at anything over the 50 yard line. The idea being points are critical and FGs don't help as you say. They don't.

You need to score TDs in bunches if you are going to beat the Patriots these days.

Rush 3 and drop 8. Bring all three from the same side or straight up the middle.

And then mix in some all out blitzes. Not 5 guys. Bring six - one in every gap. Then play man coverage with no safety.

It's the only way to stop them. You can not simply play nickel and dime defenses.

And you probably need to play a little dirty. Get a few extra shots to Gronk, Edelman, and maybe Lucifer himself.

Heavy coverage doesn't really help b/c Brady is accurate and Gronk is such a massive target, he literally does not need to be "open" in order to complete a pass.

I was focusing on this like crazy in the Patriots/Dolphins game. Gronk is so tall with such long arms and good hands...plus he can jump. He just cuts into the middle of the field, Brady puts the ball right where it needs to probably nearly 10 feet off the ground, and Gronk catches it....often with a defender all over him.

It's the flaw of the game as it is currently engineered. There is almost no defense against a really accurate passer with the rules as they are.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. You want outside the box strategy - - chew on this.

Make sure the entire team gets lots, I mean lots, of sleep before the game. When we get the ball the first time, have an O lineman intentionally jump offsides. Do it repeatedly. Put in the second team offense and have them do it. Throw in a delay of game once in a while for a little variety. Send all of the first team offense and defense guys back to the hotel to get a good night's sleep. Long about 3 pm THE NEXT DAY, put the first teamers back in and start actually playing the game. They have won the division repeatedly over the years based on preparation and execution. Let's make them sleep deprived, and see how we do. Even if all we accomplish is making both teams sleep deprived, that will ruin both teams' ability to properly execute, because even the Pats**** are human. If we can make the outcome totally random, that's a far better tactical situation for us than what we usually face.

BTW, a version of this making everything random strategy worked for Captain Kirk with a wounded starship in "The Wrath of Khan" - - i.e., "What's good for the goose is good for the gander."

Captain Kirk > Belicheat

Edit: Here's the actual line from Wrath of Khan:

Saavik: Trouble with the nebula, sir. All that static discharge and gas will cloud our visual display. Tactical won't function, and shields will be useless!

Spock: Sauce for the goose, Mr Saavik - the odds will be even!

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

Other than ICSWID (who as per normal I have no !@#$ing idea what he's talking about ;) ) all y'all are on the wrong side of the ball. They're going to get theirs, throw in all the wrinkles you want. If you're lucky you hold them to 28. Put your focus on the offense.

Hey Beerball, let me 'splain it a different way:

As long as our offense jumps offsides or takes a delay of game, we keep the ball for as long as we want, with no time off the game clock. Keep the ball this way for about a day and a half. When we start really playing the game about a day and a half after the opening kick-off, our offense has the ball just outside our own goal line. Then we play for real. I'll take a sleep-deprived random result over what we've gotten for the last decade.

We can call it the "Let the Pats********* sleep when they're dead" strategy.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

If you rush 9 and they have a 4 wr set, you will have 2 wr open. If Brady is in shotgun, what do you think he will do. You cant rush 9 when 2 wrs are wide open... C'mon man..

Thanks! The whole idea of the "risk" is that the patriots will score anyway, what do you have to lose? it may not be 9 rushing but there needs to be a way to have at least (1) guy who can sprint directly to the QB. one misippi two mis---BOOM!

Edited by jethro_tull

Thanks! The whole idea of the "risk" is that the patriots will score anyway, what do you have to lose? it may not be 9 rushing but there needs to be a way to have at least (1) guy who can sprint directly to the QB. one misippi two mis---BOOM!

it's called blitzing

Stack the defense close to the line. Bump the receivers. Don't worry about the pass rush.

That offense is predicated on Brady's sub-2-second release. So forget blitzing - if you can't get there in 2 seconds, it won't matter. So rush 4, mug the receivers at the line, and put everyone else in the passing lanes.

Then he holds the ball an extra second and tries to hit a slower developing route

It's all variety, discipline and execution- which the pats are also excellent at. Have to put do them though.

As long as our offense jumps offsides or takes a delay of game, we keep the ball for as long as we want, with no time off the game clock. Keep the ball this way for about a day and a half. When we start really playing the game about a day and a half after the opening kick-off, our offense has the ball just outside our own goal line. Then we play for real. I'll take a sleep-deprived random result over what we've gotten for the last decade.

It is innovative. :thumbsup:

with gronk you let him make the catch but don't let him get the run after the catch.

All of their receivers. Make the tackle and hold down YAC. Everyone who has said that you have to play up on their receivers are correct too. Those cushions against that team just kills me.

As that team is built I would be willing to let them try to win with the long ball.

once you get backed up close to your own goal line, the other team will start declining the penalties.

once you get backed up close to your own goal line, the other team will start declining the penalties.

So what? Either way, we keep the ball for as long as we want, with no time off the game clock, as long as the refs follow the rules by throwing a flag for offsides on the offense and blowing an immediate whistle. And if the refs stop throwing flags, then just don't ever snap the ball.

Throw the flag or not, accept or decline the penalty, doesn't matter - - either way we wait until WE want to play.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. You want outside the box strategy - - chew on this.

Make sure the entire team gets lots, I mean lots, of sleep before the game. When we get the ball the first time, have an O lineman intentionally jump offsides. Do it repeatedly. Put in the second team offense and have them do it. Throw in a delay of game once in a while for a little variety. Send all of the first team offense and defense guys back to the hotel to get a good night's sleep. Long about 3 pm THE NEXT DAY, put the first teamers back in and start actually playing the game. They have won the division repeatedly over the years based on preparation and execution. Let's make them sleep deprived, and see how we do. Even if all we accomplish is making both teams sleep deprived, that will ruin both teams' ability to properly execute, because even the Pats**** are human. If we can make the outcome totally random, that's a far better tactical situation for us than what we usually face.

BTW, a version of this making everything random strategy worked for Captain Kirk with a wounded starship in "The Wrath of Khan" - - i.e., "What's good for the goose is good for the gander."

Captain Kirk > Belicheat

Edit: Here's the actual line from Wrath of Khan:

Saavik: Trouble with the nebula, sir. All that static discharge and gas will cloud our visual display. Tactical won't function, and shields will be useless!

Spock: Sauce for the goose, Mr Saavik - the odds will be even!

Personally, I think actually playing the game in the Mutara Nebula has a better chance of success than your plan.

Then he holds the ball an extra second and tries to hit a slower developing route

It's all variety, discipline and execution- which the pats are also excellent at. Have to put do them though.

I don't think he can.

The entire offense is based on timing based on knowing the coverage before the ball is even snapped. Watch Brady play: he doesn't drop back, scan the field, and hit the open man. He knows who the open man is before the snap, based on knowing the coverage and knowing how his receivers are going to interfere with it.

However he knows the defense before the snap (cheating, or being really really smart, doesn't matter), you have to beat it in those first two seconds or not at all.

Watch Brady play: he doesn't drop back, scan the field, and hit the open man. He knows who the open man is before the snap, based on knowing the coverage and knowing how his receivers are going to interfere with it.

I think this is it.

I think this is what makes them different.

I think this is coaching.

We all wish we had a QB who could eventually develop to be good enuf to drop back, scan the field, and hit the open man. And we'd still be behind the curve.

COACHING, please.

I think this is it.

I think this is what makes them different.

I think this is coaching.

We all wish we had a QB who could eventually develop to be good enuf to drop back, scan the field, and hit the open man. And we'd still be behind the curve.

COACHING, please.

You say it's "coaching," I say it's "cheating."

Tom Brady is so "on" this year the Patriots don't even try and run the ball some games.

Buffalo preferred to mostly rush 3 or 4, and send the rest into a soft pass coverage by usually staying in nickle coverage, and by keeping the DB's 10 yards off the line. Brady ate this up and set a franchise record for most passes with 466 single player passing yards. The Patriots only ran the ball 15 times. When you see stats like these you figure the team is playing from behind. But in this case the Buffalo Bills numskull DC was simply giving way to much cushion at the line, and not blitzing properly. :bag:

Against the NY Jets who have Revis Island, Antonio Cromartie at DB, and Brady threw it 54 times, and the Pats only rushed the ball 9 times all game :w00t: wow, just wow!

Watching a lot of the Patriots games this year the only teams that gave Brady trouble were the Cowboys, and Dolphins by blitzing a lot. They were so successful that at some point the Patriots were forced to run the ball to take the heat off Brady. Once the run game started working then Brady went back to pounding them thru the air. Brady will beat the blitz most of the time because he has seen everything there is, and has seen every defensive scheme there is.

The one team that "might" give Brady trouble this year is when they go up to Denver. The Broncos currently lead the NFL in sacks, and sack percentage at 10.5 which is better then Buffalo last year at 8.8. They may manage to get to Brady enough that the Pats will be forced to stay with the run game, and if the Broncos can't score its still an easy win for the Patriots because the Broncos new HC is making Manning do loops thru hoops on offense.

Oh. BTW the New England Patriots are currently #4 in sack percentage at 8.7, and are the #2 team in the NFL in sacks with 26 !

This year the Patriots offense looks unstoppable in every way as they are the #1 scoring offense, the #2 overall offense, the #2 passing offense, and as if that weren't enough they are the #1 team in the NFL in PPG scoring differential with 16.6. Then they are also #2 in the NFL in turnover differential @ +7.

All that said the Buffalo Bills have the talent on defense to get to Brady should the defensive staff remove their craniums from their posteriors. Thus by stacking the line of scrimmage, and jamming / slightly holding the receivers. Then spread the D line like the wide nine, and get some heat on Brady from the side. Once in the backfield do the same jamming, holding on the RB's and allow Brady a nice hole to run up the middle. Once past the line have a LBer hit him like someone drove a Mack truck over him even if its a PF for 15. A few hard hits, and its Garoppolo time :D

Seriously tho, I doubt any team can stop the Patriots this year if Brady stays healthy, undefeated by winning the SB, and GOAT title! :cry:

Personally, I think actually playing the game in the Mutara Nebula has a better chance of success than your plan.

I don't think he can.

The entire offense is based on timing based on knowing the coverage before the ball is even snapped. Watch Brady play: he doesn't drop back, scan the field, and hit the open man. He knows who the open man is before the snap, based on knowing the coverage and knowing how his receivers are going to interfere with it.

However he knows the defense before the snap (cheating, or being really really smart, doesn't matter), you have to beat it in those first two seconds or not at all.

Then what about doing the inverse of what the patriots do with their picks? mug the receivers every play? They can't call it every time

This is a key insight. Along the lines of 'all battles are won or lost before they begin". Preparation is the key to victory. So a logicial defense might be to "show" Brady something that isn't what it appears to be, essentially utilizing deception and disguise. You need to confuse his pre-snap reads like if the WR goes in motion and nobody follows him you might read zone coverage and moments before the snap the defense needs to adjust to a man-to-man press scheme for example. This goes for the offense too. After you watch a team play every game you see tendencies and I seem to know what the Bills are going to do on most plays. If I can figure it out then certainly the professionals are way ahead of me. Bottom line, be unpredicable because predicability leads to negative outcomes.

The Giants had success in 2 SB's by deploying their DE's inside over the Guards to put pressure on the interior of the offensive line that was not geared to defend speed but rather the size and strength of the typical DT. When they brought in the heavy offensive package the defense shifted to the standard set. And certainly playing 10 yards off their receivers is unacceptable. You need to play press coverage and physical every single down.

The other unconventional thing I would employ is hiring a security firm to make sure nobody was stealing my signals, or playbooks, bugging my communications or locker room. Maybe its paranoia but why take a chance? The Patriots seem to know what you're going to do on offense and defense almost every single play. Is their coaching that good or is there more to it? I say, eliminate the "more to it" possiblity. I might even go as far as having three different coaches signal in the play to the team and if they are stealing my signals let them try and figure out which one is real and which two are fake on every down. Create confusion and uncertainty.

The other problem is New England provides a unique challenge with their personnel. And if you play a team once or twice a year and maybe not at all, are you going to set up you team to beat that one opponent as opposed to setting your lineup and team for the other 14+ games?

Outscore them. That is the only way.

It's a race to 35 with them. You'd better be prepared to think that way.

They blow everyone out anyway, so you've got nothing to lose doing something exotic and crazy.

True, and have the offense eat clock in getting those 7 pts. (keep Brady off the field.) With defense & special teams creating turn overs & better yet, scoring pts as well. All three units have to be assets, not liabilities, the Pats will make you pay for those mistakes. That's my 2 cents anyway.

How about have a very unorganized defense? They either cheat or Brady really is that good- knowing where the other team is blitzing from before they are even out of the defensive hudle.

So we need to make sure Brady has no idea what we are doing. The best way to do that is to not even let the D know what they themselves will be doing.

We get 11 coaches who each signal to one of the 11 players. The Pats will likely think it's a distraction and fake signals but they will all be genuine. Each individual player gets his signal but he won't have any idea what anyone else's responsibility is per-say. For example Brown is told to man up on gronk but he won't know that Bradham was told to blitz.

If Our D doesn't know what we are doing how could the Pats possibly know??

Tom Brady is so "on" this year the Patriots don't even try and run the ball some games.

Buffalo preferred to mostly rush 3 or 4, and send the rest into a soft pass coverage by usually staying in nickle coverage, and by keeping the DB's 10 yards off the line. Brady ate this up and set a franchise record for most passes with 466 single player passing yards. The Patriots only ran the ball 15 times. When you see stats like these you figure the team is playing from behind. But in this case the Buffalo Bills numskull DC was simply giving way to much cushion at the line, and not blitzing properly. :bag:

Against the NY Jets who have Revis Island, Antonio Cromartie at DB, and Brady threw it 54 times, and the Pats only rushed the ball 9 times all game :w00t: wow, just wow!

Watching a lot of the Patriots games this year the only teams that gave Brady trouble were the Cowboys, and Dolphins by blitzing a lot. They were so successful that at some point the Patriots were forced to run the ball to take the heat off Brady. Once the run game started working then Brady went back to pounding them thru the air. Brady will beat the blitz most of the time because he has seen everything there is, and has seen every defensive scheme there is.

The one team that "might" give Brady trouble this year is when they go up to Denver. The Broncos currently lead the NFL in sacks, and sack percentage at 10.5 which is better then Buffalo last year at 8.8. They may manage to get to Brady enough that the Pats will be forced to stay with the run game, and if the Broncos can't score its still an easy win for the Patriots because the Broncos new HC is making Manning do loops thru hoops on offense.

Oh. BTW the New England Patriots are currently #4 in sack percentage at 8.7, and are the #2 team in the NFL in sacks with 26 !

This year the Patriots offense looks unstoppable in every way as they are the #1 scoring offense, the #2 overall offense, the #2 passing offense, and as if that weren't enough they are the #1 team in the NFL in PPG scoring differential with 16.6. Then they are also #2 in the NFL in turnover differential @ +7.

All that said the Buffalo Bills have the talent on defense to get to Brady should the defensive staff remove their craniums from their posteriors. Thus by stacking the line of scrimmage, and jamming / slightly holding the receivers. Then spread the D line like the wide nine, and get some heat on Brady from the side. Once in the backfield do the same jamming, holding on the RB's and allow Brady a nice hole to run up the middle. Once past the line have a LBer hit him like someone drove a Mack truck over him even if its a PF for 15. A few hard hits, and its Garoppolo time :D

Seriously tho, I doubt any team can stop the Patriots this year if Brady stays healthy, undefeated by winning the SB, and GOAT title! :cry:

Nihilarian,

I like your comments but Miami didn't do squat against the Pats. The Jets were actually the only real close game. Your defensive comments are right on, and i would add a LB plays at the LOS against Gronk, like Lawson if he lines on one side, and Bradham if on the other. Blast him and then let the Safety cover him. The only one big enough to pick him up is Aaron Williams so get helthy bud. Duke isn't good enough, and Corey is not big enough. We will have McKelvin by then so more DB depth.

Your right, Brady is the GOAT of QB's, so we most likely will lose, but I'd like to see much more of an unleashed defense, an much more read option with TT and Shady, then bulldoze with Karlos Williams. Screw it. If your going to go down, go down swinging. Then again I just watched for the first time in 30 years Vision Quest, and I was a very competitive wrestler so that is our "Remember the Titans" movie for wrestlers. I'm so pumped up I'm going to the gym on the day I normally take off.

Go Bills!

Then again just blitz 11 as I said before until Brady goes out on a stretcher (just kidding, well maybe)

I don't think he can.

Those critical two seconds. But WE KNOW HE IS GOING TO THROW THE BALL! Coverage isn't working and probably will never work because their timing is so good- their plays are so embedded it's like muscle memory at this point.

The key must be to get to the QB to stop or disrupt the planned throw- within those critical two seconds.

Train Easley to be a DB and put him on Gronk. Seriously look for some tall fast LBs in the draft. We play these guys twice and the playoffs run through them.

If they are going to get away with the WR picks, blow them up.

You can only blitz Brady if you can press the TE's at the line. One won't work w/o the other.

Personally, I think actually playing the game in the Mutara Nebula has a better chance of success than your plan. . . .

Of course it would . . . Brady (and everybody posting on TBD) would be dead by the time the teams got there. But my plan improves our chances of success for a game played on earth, and during my lifetime, and with Brady at QB for the Pats**********.

There's only ONE way to defeat Brady and his cheaters.... I laugh out loud when I hear the rubes say "We gotta blitz the crap outta Brady"

This won't work... In fact, ANY "Get Brady" campaign will usually result in failure... That's because NO ONE "gets Brady"... Him, his offensive staff, and HC are beyond being good at what they do... -They're experts...

There's only ONE person that can get to Tom Brady, and that's TOM BRADY.. I promise you that this guy DOES NOT enjoy pressure situations... He wilts like a delicate flower under extreme duress, and NEEDS to play with a LEAD in order to do what he does... Because of this, he's perfected the art of SCORING FAST.... Super quick passes to reliable receivers.... He can move the chains at a blistering pace without morale-sapping three-and-outs.

Keeping Brady in a close, competitive, game is your BEST chance at beating him. -That means you have to SCORE POINTS... Remember, Tom Brady owes at least part of his reputation to guys like Adam Vinatieri, and Malcolm Butler... Clutch performances by OTHERS have helped TB's "Best Ever' campaign considerably...

Bottom Line: If an ofense isn't ready to put up at least 30 vs NE, They've got barely a snowball's chance. Now, could someone please email this to Greg Roman?

Nihilarian,

I like your comments but Miami didn't do squat against the Pats. The Jets were actually the only real close game. Your defensive comments are right on, and i would add a LB plays at the LOS against Gronk, like Lawson if he lines on one side, and Bradham if on the other. Blast him and then let the Safety cover him. The only one big enough to pick him up is Aaron Williams so get helthy bud. Duke isn't good enough, and Corey is not big enough. We will have McKelvin by then so more DB depth.

Your right, Brady is the GOAT of QB's, so we most likely will lose, but I'd like to see much more of an unleashed defense, an much more read option with TT and Shady, then bulldoze with Karlos Williams. Screw it. If your going to go down, go down swinging. Then again I just watched for the first time in 30 years Vision Quest, and I was a very competitive wrestler so that is our "Remember the Titans" movie for wrestlers. I'm so pumped up I'm going to the gym on the day I normally take off.

Go Bills!

Then again just blitz 11 as I said before until Brady goes out on a stretcher (just kidding, well maybe)

I agree, as I should have defined my comments more as to "giving Brady trouble" which was meant to actually getting pressure, hits on him. The Jets did hold him back for a lot of that game but in the end he had his way by passing all over them.

The Buffalo Bills managed to get less pressure on Brady this year then they did in any game in all of last year. I believe that getting sustained pressure on Brady is really the only way to disrupt him to take him out of his game. Rex Ryan is correct when he says that its not all about sacks. But I feel it is all about getting that pressure on the QB to hurry his passes and make mistakes.

It doesn't happen often but the Dolphins managed to do just that in the opener last year, as did the Chiefs in week four. The Chiefs only sacked him three times, and intercepted him twice in that 41-14 win, but they managed to make his life miserable all game long with pressure.

I don't think he can.

No one seems to be able to Outsmart them or out cheat them.

Release the BatGas Robin!

Put some Kryptonite in the deflated balls!

DO SOMETHING!

Etta ! Etta !! go on now and get me my shotgun around , and two shells.

Time to put those two hell hounds down.

Cows wont eat, horse all skittish and the chickens wont lay. And the damned rooster wont crow.

aint nothing left to do but shoot em. Shoot em dead.