If Cassel plays decently, is that it for Whaley?

Eh...I think you're trying too hard. But I guess that's just my opinion. I read the interview with him and just don't come away with it the same way. There's a big jump between differing opinions and discussion and flat out going against the coaches. There's not even anything pointing to which people within the organization wanted what.

Adam Schefter is about as trustworthy as it gets, in my opinion. https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/658290029114949632

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam Schefter is about as trustworthy as it gets, in my opinion. https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/658290029114949632

Yeah, any kind of specifics would be great.

Anyway, if any of this is true, I'd expect it to come out this week. Rex doesn't usually hold his tongue for long. If he was unhappy with the trade, it should be apparent. It hasn't been so far.

I think Rex and Roman did everything they could today to prove to Whaley that EJ stinks. Including calling the time out after the Hogan catch inside of 2 mins. Everyone who has watched any amount of footage by EJ knows he is best in the two minute drill. Rex and Roman stopped the flow right after the Hogan catch.

It is about to get really ugly in Buffalo. Whaley is going to get shown the door before Rex. He just is. And yes if Cassel looks good today and the Pegulas have already heard that Rex and Roman wanted him to stay, look for Whaley to be on his way out.

I love this place, when Cassel was here everyone chased him away cause "He Sucks" and "We need to see what EJ can Do", "Ej needs to play, look at his preseason"

Now everyone wants to blame the GM for dealing away the guy they affectionately called 'Meh'

Not everyone. We would have won this game with him, and yes that may be on Whaley. But he's still overall a good GM. Those who thought EJ had some sort of upside when the dumb move on Cassel was made should be very sober right now, or perhaps drinking heavily.

The Cowboys are a much better fit for Cassel then he would be in Buffalo with the current offensive line, and their injuries.

Cassel still sucks, and I doubt he plays any better in Buffalo then EJ did.

Cassell does not gift wrap 21 points for the Jags.

With Cassell under centre we win this game easily.

Not everyone. We would have won this game with him, and yes that may be on Whaley. But he's still overall a good GM. Those who thought EJ had some sort of upside when the dumb move on Cassel was made should be very sober right now, or perhaps drinking heavily.

Whaley is good evaluating defensive talent. He is atrocious when it comes to the other side of the ball.

You need to be good on both sides. He needs to go because he should not be involved in drafting the next QB.

signed useless mental midget jerry hughes to 3 future years at $10.5 cap hit each year.

another penalty filled, 1 solo tackle, no sack , no qb hit, no tfl game.

That sounds like you are reaching. You were probably the same guy talking about how important it was to keep Hughes

That sounds like you are reaching. You were probably the same guy talking about how important it was to keep Hughes

Hughes has done squat this year. And he does not draw double teaming. is it scheme? Could be. I wish Jarius Wynn wasn't injured he had the potential to outplay a starting DE. I like the kid. he plays smart not a Hughes strongpoint.

Whaley>Meh

I don't understand the Whaley lynch mob. Blame injuries, blame the refs, blame Rex, blame EJ.....but don't blame Whaley

It's mob mentality -- which is almost always emotional and far from rational. Whaley's job's not in danger based on how Meh performs, sorry to disappoint a great many.

It's mob mentality -- which is almost always emotional and far from rational. Whaley's job's not in danger based on how Meh performs, sorry to disappoint a great many.

When does his contact expire?

Whaley>Meh

I don't understand the Whaley lynch mob. Blame injuries, blame the refs, blame Rex, blame EJ.....but don't blame Whaley

Why does Whaley get a pass? What exactly has he done to warrant giving him the benefit of the doubt when it's beginning to appear that he's failed miserably?

Not after the Dallas game today, I'm pretty sure.

Then don't you find it odd that he is not extended yet? How often does that happen when the job is secure? Edited by GG

Whaley's handling of Cassel is only the tip of his incompetence as GM

1. EJ Manuel
  2. Bryce Brown
  3. Sammy Watkins
  4. Jerry Hughes
  5. LeSean McCoy
  6. Percy Harvin
  7. .500 team or worse with a cap hit of 150 million in 2016
  8. Dareus
  9. Fred Jackson
  10. Doesn't invest enough resources to build an offensive line.

Should I go on?

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Why does Whaley get a pass? What exactly has he done to warrant giving him the benefit of the doubt when it's beginning to appear that he's failed miserably?

The difference in talent on this roster since Whaley was given the top job is undeniable. He's on the hook for Rex, who isn't going to be fired after this year even if they lose out.

Whaley's going to get an extension.

Then don't find it odd that he is not extended yet? How often does that happen when the job is secure?

I do not find it odd. I'm not arguing his job is secure, I'm arguing his job security has nothing to do with how well Cassell plays today for Dallas -- which is the hypothesis of the OP.

It's wrong.

There's a football game on.

And this thread is dumb.

Are you sure? I truly suspect anyone replying to this thread has had many years of both college & NFL coaching experience & upper management experience, don't you.

For example, I know a "wildcat" when I see one caged up in a zoo.

The difference in talent on this roster since Whaley was given the top job is undeniable. He's on the hook for Rex, who isn't going to be fired after this year even if they lose out.

Whaley's going to get an extension.

Not good enough. Overall he's done a poor job. Most of the core talent preceeded him taking over as the GM, and he also had the benefit of coming in at a time that the purse strings opened allowing him to retain and bring in talent that previous GMs didn't have at their disposal.

I also think we greatly overstate the level of talent he's brought to the team. And the extent to which he's failed at addressing the QB position is inexcuseable. Depending on what TT does (which is Rex's move all the way, I don't give Whaley much credit for that) it looks like we'd be better off if we'd just kept Fitz. Let that sink in.

Bottom line, the GM should be evaluated based on results, not based on how excited fans get about how good we think the roster looks on paper. and thus far the results are pretty mediocre despite having a wealth of resources (high draft picks and $$$) to build with.

Not good enough. Overall he's done a poor job. Most of the core talent preceeded him taking over as the GM, and he also had the benefit of coming in at a time that the purse strings opened allowing him to retain and bring in talent that previous GMs didn't have at their disposal.

I also think we greatly overstate the level of talent he's brought to the team. And the extent to which he's failed at addressing the QB position is inexcuseable. Depending on what TT does (which is Rex's move all the way, I don't give Whaley much credit for that) it looks like we'd be better off if we'd just kept Fitz. Let that sink in.

Bottom line, the GM should be evaluated based on results, not based on how excited fans get about how good we think the roster looks on paper. and thus far the results are pretty mediocre despite having a wealth of resources (high draft picks and $$$) to build with.

You are spot on, sir!

I won't givenWhaley a pass Has he made some good moves? Yep. has he made some head scratching moves? Yep.

One Wonders his involvement in the Rex hiring. was he jumping up and down in Peguals rec room going we have to sign him? I doubt he argued the signing. More than likely had a lot of clout there. maybe along with Brandon. The Pegulas aren't football people they are owners.

What I see is 2 straight years of a poorly handled QB situation( by Whaley alone). Maybe Tyrod pans out. But last year was laughable. Signing Orton a week before the opener. And can we call the EJ era over? The O-line and in particular tackles are lacking. No guard depth. a aging ineffective center. I can go on. yea, If I was Pegula he would be doing some explaining on the plane ride home tomorrow. In particular the lack of a competent #2 QB. trading Cassell was stupid.

So he had no role in bringing in talent when he was assistant GM? Where's the cut off for your evaluation? You're getting him both ways, not giving him credit for the job he did prior and then downplaying the success he had because of the change of ownership.

He's had the job for two full off seasons, if you can't see the difference in talent across the board, we are never going to agree on this. Whaley's not the problem and I expect him to be in the same job heading into this next off season.

So he had no role in bringing in talent when he was assistant GM? Where's the cut off for your evaluation? You're getting him both ways, not giving him credit for the job he did prior and then downplaying the success he had because of the change of ownership.

He's had the job for two full off seasons, if you can't see the difference in talent across the board, we are never going to agree on this. Whaley's not the problem and I expect him to be in the same job heading into this next off season.

It's a two edge sword. If we're going to give him credit for what he did before taking the reigns then we need to hang some of the blame on him too. He's been here for a while and all we have to show for it is an 8-8 season masquerading as a 9-7. And in all that time he still hasn't helped us find a QB. In fact, since he's taken the reigns he's actively botched the handling of the QB position. I don't know how you can even defend that.

Edit: And improving the talent isn't terribly challenging when you have years of high draft picks and a lot more money at your disposal than your predecessors had.

Edited by Rob's House

It's a two edge sword. If we're going to give him credit for what he did before taking the reigns then we need to hang some of the blame on him too. He's been here for a while and all we have to show for it is an 8-8 season masquerading as a 9-7. And in all that time he still hasn't helped us find a QB. In fact, since he's taken the reigns he's actively botched the handling of the QB position. I don't know how you can even defend that.

Edit: And improving the talent isn't terribly challenging when you have years of high draft picks and a lot more money at your disposal than your predecessors had.

The Bills under Marv and TD weren't always picking high?

Come on, Pegs $$ helps a TON -- but that wasn't even a factor until this year and Whaley turned that into McCoy, Hughes' extension, RI, Harvin (50-50 w Rex), and Clay. Give the guy a chance.

1. EJ Manuel
  2. Bryce Brown
  3. Sammy Watkins
  4. Jerry Hughes
  5. LeSean McCoy
  6. Percy Harvin
  8. Dareus
  9. Fred Jackson

Should I go on?

haha other than Brown, and EJ...you're kidding right.

1. EJ Manuel
  2. Bryce Brown
  3. Sammy Watkins
  4. Jerry Hughes
  5. LeSean McCoy
  6. Percy Harvin
  8. Dareus
  9. Fred Jackson

Should I go on?

So you're just listing all the moves, good, bad, and not his?

Edited by Acantha

Whaley/Nix pick EJ Manual over Cuse QB in 1st round 16th pick, Fitz quits on Bills. Over next 2 years EJ ends up getting benched and replaced by outcasted Orton who retires and HC quits. Whaley keeps job and convinces Rex to run open competition and EJ loses to Tyrod Taylor. Cassel gets cut, resigns and is backup to Tyrod till he is traded. Bills fans were then asked to believe that EJ was always their choice as backup QB even though he was inactive. WOW! Tyrod gets hurt and EJ misses throws but also hits big ones, Bills lose big and EJ is now 6-9 as starter. OK bad team coming in so give him another chance, next thing I know EJ implodes and Bills down 27-3. Forget everything else, defense letting Jacksonville go 9:30 mins out of the half, refs screwing us and Jaxs taking lead. Bottom line is 2 mins and 14 sec left to get into field goal position and all 3 time outs available, could be a tie score. Get lucky and you win in regulation. Instead EJ hits 9 yard play on first down, 2nd and 1, confused calls a TO. Roman feels so good about everything he runs Shady in short yardage formation after timeout, I would expect some play down field using EJ's strong arm to Clay or Woods. Nope 3rd and 1, EJ QB sneaks at 230lbs 6'4" and totally gets stood up and fumbles. Refs save him and call forward progress. Another TO and the best the Bills came up with is a roll left with a right handed QB who miss throws. What happens is EJ puts the ball to high for Woods, game over!!! EJ Manual is now 6-10 as a starter. When does this charade end? Why was Cassell not playing in the last 2 games, we might be 5-2 and no worse than 4-3. Bottom line is Whaley's ego has allowed a very bad decision where wins are tough to get because he can't admit he missed on EJ Manual. If that isn't the reason and he truly still thinks EJ is the backup then he should be fired immediately for being a poor QB talent evaluator.

The Bills under Marv and TD weren't always picking high?

Come on, Pegs $$ helps a TON -- but that wasn't even a factor until this year and Whaley turned that into McCoy, Hughes' extension, RI, Harvin (50-50 w Rex), and Clay. Give the guy a chance.

Sounds like you're confusing effort with results.