If Cassel plays decently, is that it for Whaley?

I really don't care what the predictable homers have to say in this thread. No one invests 1.4B into a NFL franchise and watches what happened today without thinking there'll be changes. The owner isn't an unbridled homer who merely can't criticize his team.

Matt Cassel does not gift-wrap 21 points to possibly the worst defense in the NFL. Matt Cassel does not throw balls in the dirt to Robert Woods 7 yards downfield. Matt Cassel is not the guy a Jags defense knows and tells announcers cannot go through progressions. But Matt Cassel is not Doug Whaley's pick and therefore is expendable.

This entire season was about winning now. All the spending, the Rex hire, everything. But then Doug Whaley traded someone for a future draft pick and it was about EJ's ceiling? No, this was about Doug Whaley trying to survive. If there's one positive coming out of this game, it'll be that Doug Whaley's handling of the QB position and subsequent doubling down on Manuel will indeed get him fired. Pegula hasn't hired nor extended him.

We're going to look back on 2010-15 (the current rebuild) years and realize how utterly horrible Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley were.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're going to look back on 2010-15 (the current rebuild) years and realize how utterly horrible Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley were.

You shouldn't have to look back. It's looking at you in the face already.

But I get your point and I certainly agree that the casual fans will spin this narrative once this season goes down the crapper.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I really don't care what the predictable homers have to say in this thread. No one invests 1.4B into a NFL franchise and watches what happened today without thinking there'll be changes. The owner isn't an unbridled homer who merely can't criticize his team.

Matt Cassel does not gift-wrap 21 points to possibly the worst defense in the NFL. Matt Cassel does not throw balls in the dirt to Robert Woods 7 yards downfield. Matt Cassel is not the guy a Jags defense knows and tells announcers cannot go through progressions. But Matt Cassel is not Doug Whaley's pick and therefore is expendable.

This entire season was about winning now. All the spending, the Rex hire, everything. But then Doug Whaley traded someone for a future draft pick and it was about EJ's ceiling? No, this was about Doug Whaley trying to survive. If there's one positive coming out of this game, it'll be that Doug Whaley's handling of the QB position and subsequent doubling down on Manuel will indeed get him fired. Pegula hasn't hired nor extended him.

Don't disagree with anything. With the exception of EJ was a Nix pick his last year as GM. " I am not leaving until I have a franchise QB in place".

Don't disagree with anything. With the exception of EJ was a Nix pick his last year as GM. " I am not leaving until I have a franchise QB in place".

Not so easy. Whaley came up with the draft board that had EJ Manuel as a 1st round QB...lol

Whaley is to blame for that pick as much as Buddy Nix.

absolutely correct.

It matters not. Once Whaley went "all in" on EJ he may as well have drafted him. Desperately, pathetically, and stupidly clinging to the belief that EJ was going to be the guy was far more destructive than the pick itself.

EJ was a swing for the fences. He didn't work out. I have no problem with a team without a QB drafting a QB.

For all the fire Whaley people, please list your GM candidates. I am not saying Whaley is untouchable. Just prove you have an upgrade.

We drafted Darby, Miller, and Karlos this year. Added Shady, Clay, and Tyrod through FA and trades. That's a good off season.

It matters not. Once Whaley went "all in" on EJ he may as well have drafted him. Desperately, pathetically, and stupidly clinging to the belief that EJ was going to be the guy was far more destructive than the pick itself.

yes, I understand that logic. i still see the look of horror on Polians face when Berman asks him. Would you have picked EJ at 16? Moments After the pick. On ESPN.

Doug Whaley has missed on exactly one real good QB that he could have had(Russell Wilson) that completely changed his mechanics from college to the pros. Besides that he has improved every unit we have, some of them by a large margin. All that being said the Bills need to step up and start showing the world that the talent will translate into wins or Whaley might be gone at the end of the year.

EJ was a swing for the fences. He didn't work out. I have no problem with a team without a QB drafting a QB.

For all the fire Whaley people, please list your GM candidates. I am not saying Whaley is untouchable. Just prove you have an upgrade.

We drafted Darby, Miller, and Karlos this year. Added Shady, Clay, and Tyrod through FA and trades. That's a good off season.

Eliot Wolf would be #1 on the list of GM candidates. Top priority would be to seek permission and interview as soon as possible.

Buddy missed on exactly one real good QB that he could have had(Russell Wilson) that completely changed his mechanics from college to the pros. Besides that he has improved every unit we have, some of them by a large margin. All that being said the Bills need to step up and start showing the world that the talent will translate into wins or Whaley might be gone at the end of the year.

FTFY