If Cassel plays decently, is that it for Whaley?

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills under Marv and TD weren't always picking high?

Come on, Pegs $$ helps a TON -- but that wasn't even a factor until this year and Whaley turned that into McCoy, Hughes' extension, RI, Harvin (50-50 w Rex), and Clay. Give the guy a chance.

You're essentially arguing that being marginally better than abject failures = success. I'm not saying he hasn't made any good moves; I'm saying that his overall body of work has been a failure. His drafting has been ok, he's made some ok FA moves, some other not so great moves, but his mishandling of the QB situation far outweighs the rest IMO. It's not even a minor miscalculation; his handling of the QB situation has been about as bad as it gets. Worst of all, instead of recognizing his mistake he repeatedly doubles down on it. And look where that's gotten us. Three years in a row we've lost to what was arguably the worst team in the league in a must win situation. I hope he's managed his last off season as Bills GM.

You're essentially arguing that being marginally better than abject failures = success. I'm not saying he hasn't made any good moves; I'm saying that his overall body of work has been a failure. His drafting has been ok, he's made some ok FA moves, some other not so great moves, but his mishandling of the QB situation far outweighs the rest IMO. It's not even a minor miscalculation; his handling of the QB situation has been about as bad as it gets. Worst of all, instead of recognizing his mistake he repeatedly doubles down on it. And look where that's gotten us. Three years in a row we've lost to what was arguably the worst team in the league in a must win situation. I hope he's managed his last off season as Bills GM.

And you're essentially whitewashing just how little talent was on this roster and how much work needed to be done. Outside of missing on Wilson, which was when Buddy was still in the big chair, there hasn't been a QB available they've missed on. Not to mention, Taylor has shown flashes of being a player at the position so it's too early to say he's failed at the position.

Not true. I think people are forgetting how little talent was on this roster just 4 years ago. It takes time to rebuild a roster which had been built on the cheap for a decade -- and Whaley's in year 2.

You're doing it again. You're giving Whaley credit for talent that was added before he became GM but absolving him of all blame for anything that happened before he officially became GM. You can't have it both ways.

You're doing it again. You're giving Whaley credit for talent that was added before he became GM but absolving him of all blame for anything that happened before he officially became GM. You can't have it both ways.

He's been with the team since 2010. He's been in the big chair since May of '13.

Go back and look at the 2010 roster. It was a graveyard of talent.

And you're essentially whitewashing just how little talent was on this roster and how much work needed to be done. Outside of missing on Wilson, which was when Buddy was still in the big chair, there hasn't been a QB available they've missed on. Not to mention, Taylor has shown flashes of being a player at the position so it's too early to say he's failed at the position.

If I were GM we'd have Derek Carr on the roster right now, and I'm not even a football professional. I'm just some dude that watches TV and reads message boards, but even I knew something needed to be done and so did a lot of other people. You know who didn't? Doug Whaley, that's who.

I won't givenWhaley a pass Has he made some good moves? Yep. has he made some head scratching moves? Yep.

One Wonders his involvement in the Rex hiring. was he jumping up and down in Peguals rec room going we have to sign him? I doubt he argued the signing. More than likely had a lot of clout there. maybe along with Brandon. The Pegulas aren't football people they are owners.

What I see is 2 straight years of a poorly handled QB situation( by Whaley alone). Maybe Tyrod pans out. But last year was laughable. Signing Orton a week before the opener. And can we call the EJ era over? The O-line and in particular tackles are lacking. No guard depth. a aging ineffective center. I can go on. yea, If I was Pegula he would be doing some explaining on the plane ride home tomorrow. In particular the lack of a competent #2 QB. trading Cassell was stupid.

I think Rex is all on Pegs. Whaley didn't have that much clout if Pegs wanted a football czar over him. DW was lucky he kept his job. I'm sure he was just a yes man alongside the ultimate yes man, Brandon, who also knew that Rex = ticket sales. I have no doubt now that the football czar will be here next year, not sure about DW,

haha other than Brown, and EJ...you're kidding right.

Absolutely not.

I should also add Charles Clay.

Whaley has a penchant of avoiding important aspects of this team like QB and the offensive line and then overpaying for a 3rd round QB , WR, RB (big lol), TE, pass rusher, a crippling contract to Dareus. The cap hit in 2016 right now is 150 million. Doug Whaley is a bad GM.

This is a SEVERLEY flawed roster. Well anyone that was really knowledgeable about football realized this before the season...but I digress.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I think Rex is all on Pegs. Whaley didn't have that much clout if Pegs wanted a football czar over him. DW was lucky he kept his job. I'm sure he was just a yes man alongside the ultimate yes man, Brandon, who also knew that Rex = ticket sales. I have no doubt now that the football czar will be here next year, not sure about DW,

Rex is 100% Pegulas guy.

Whaley will not be GM next year.

Be careful what you wish for. Bills almost had ancient Polian and his son running the team.

I'll stick with Whaley unless there is a superstar scout ready to take the reins. Give us names of people who you want to GM.

The fact that Pegula wanted to bring in a "czar" with Whaley under contract and also the fact that Pegula hand picked and hired Rex tells me Whaley is done after this year after a losing season and not making the playoffs for yet another year.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Cassel is garbage. Please stop propping this guy up.

He has started over 70+ games in this league, EJ has 16 now at 6-10. Cassel took over a hurt Tom Brady 1st game of 2008 season and led them 11-5 starting all but 1. They missed the playoffs with a identical record with Miami. He also led KC to a 10-6 record and playoffs. I am not saying he is great but I guarantee he is better than EJ Manual. Ask yourself, why would Dallas sit their backup QB to play a bad Matt Cassell and give us a 5th pick for him? Your statement doesn't make sense when this QB led 2 winning seasons in the NFL!

Edited by USABuffaloFan

He has started over 70+ games in this league, EJ has 16 now at 6-10. Cassel took over a hurt Tom Brady 1st game of 2008 season and led them 11-5 starting all but 1. They missed the playoffs with a identical record with Miami. He also led KC to a 10-6 record and playoffs. I am not saying he is great but I guarantee he is better than EJ Manual. Ask yourself, why would Dallas sit their backup QB to play a bad Matt Cassell and give us a 5th pick for him? Your statement doesn't make sense when this QB led 2 winning seasons in the NFL!

Yeah, maybe I missed it since I don't really follow the Chiefs or Vikings, but I don't think Cassel ever came close to melting down like EJ did today.