If Cassel plays decently, is that it for Whaley?

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ was a swing for the fences. He didn't work out. I have no problem with a team without a QB drafting a QB.

For all the fire Whaley people, please list your GM candidates. I am not saying Whaley is untouchable. Just prove you have an upgrade.

We drafted Darby, Miller, and Karlos this year. Added Shady, Clay, and Tyrod through FA and trades. That's a good off season.

EJ was a swing for the fences after the previous GM absolutely refused to take a QB and insisted on going with a guy he inherited. Buffalo was backed into a corner and therefore were desperate because the only other QB on the roster was Kevin Kolb. In 2006 people on this board were heralding Marv's first draft class because so many rookies started. Except, they had to play when the other options weren't good. Rookies starting out of need isn't proof a GM knows what he's doing. Don't we have to give rookies 2-3 seasons anyway before evaluating them?

Doug Whaley has missed on exactly one real good QB that he could have had(Russell Wilson) that completely changed his mechanics from college to the pros. Besides that he has improved every unit we have, some of them by a large margin. All that being said the Bills need to step up and start showing the world that the talent will translate into wins or Whaley might be gone at the end of the year.

Doug Whaley has alienated 2 coaching staffs. Do you want that guy picking players for you?

Maybe just maybe he is a rogue who's doing things on his own. The evidence is building to support that.

Edited by BillsVet

Wait.

Wasn't this supposed to be a playoff team this year?

It does get confusing. At the start of the season, there is a lot of talk about playoffs. By the end of each season, there is talk about how we're rebuilding from square zero with a bare cupboard again. Part and parcel of being a Bills fan.

Year's not over.

Understood. But from what we've seen to this point, it doesn't much look like one.

Haven't won vs a quality team yet and losing 3 of 4 at home. Not characteristics of a playoff team.

I see things getting worse. The lack of leadership and accountability will be realized. Finger pointing and discord is on the horizon. I feel it.

Doug Whaley has missed on exactly one real good QB that he could have had(Russell Wilson) that completely changed his mechanics from college to the pros. Besides that he has improved every unit we have, some of them by a large margin. All that being said the Bills need to step up and start showing the world that the talent will translate into wins or Whaley might be gone at the end of the year.

He also passed on Derek Carr. At some point we might regret passing on Bridgewater too.

EJ was a swing for the fences after the previous GM absolutely refused to take a QB and insisted on going with a guy he inherited. Buffalo was backed into a corner and therefore were desperate. because the only other QB on the roster was Kevin Kolb.

Doug Whaley has alienated 2 coaching staffs. Do you want that guy picking players for you?

Maybe just maybe he is a rogue who's doing things on his own. The evidence is building to support that.

No doubt.

If Marrone would've stayed & if Polian takes the czar job, DW might already be gone by now. Polian was in DM's corner, and Brandon's going to side with which ever way the wind is blowing.... nobody left to back DW.

I'm wondering if there wasn't something to Timmah's report about him going rogue with Fred Jackson. We scoffed at it because he apparently had the approval of Terry and Kim Snyder, but perhaps he did it without the approval of the coaching staff.

I could see someone close to the coaching staff describing that as going rogue.

Jesus I hope something changes. I'm so tired of Whaley trying to stuff EJ down the organizations throat. The trade to Dallas smelled bad from the moment it was announce. The Bryce Brown trade wasn't as bad but look at where our RB core has ended up. Now having seen through two games with EJ and a few games worth of collateral damage with our depleted backs, he should either be gone or should have his direct reporting line to the Pegulas revoked. WTF were they thinking having both Rex and Doug taking separate reporting lines to the boss anyway. That doesn't foster unity at all. The same **** happened with Marrone, so there is a paper trail of issues.

Understood. But from what we've seen to this point, it doesn't much look like one.

Haven't won vs a quality team yet and losing 3 of 4 at home. Not characteristics of a playoff team.

I see things getting worse. The lack of leadership and accountability will be realized. Finger pointing and discord is on the horizon. I feel it.

Maybe. The league changes too much week to week to draw any sort of conclusive opinion on the remaining 9 games. The division is more than likely out of reach, but the wild card is not. The AFC is a mess outside of the division leaders, there's no reason to think the Bills are out of it. They're 3-4, which is one game worse than I had them pegged headed into the bye -- and that was with me projecting 10-11 wins. 9 wins might be enough to get in the way the AFC looks right now, so the season is not over, despite the hype.

Let's get healthy over the break and see what happens when Miami shows up at the Ralph in two weeks. Getting Taylor, Watkins, Karlos, and the right side of the offensive line back has got to help.

I posted this in another thread but I think it's more pertinent to this one:

Honestly, I'm not even that down on Manuel right now. He's who I thought he was: a guy who struggles with consistency. Yes, he played an atrocious second half, and his final drive was sorry, but he played pretty well for most of the second half. He's a mediocre NFL QB.

The real problem is Whaley for trying to wish him into being something he isn't. If he were a developmental mid-rounder backing up a reliable pocket passer he'd be fine. But it's clear that far too much has been invested in him and we have relied far too heavily on him long after it became obvious to all but the most dedicated fanboy (and Whaley) that his ceiling was limited and his likelihood of hitting it scarce.

We saw today why two consecutive coaching staffs have gone in a different direction despite limited alternatives. Yet Whaley can't let it go. That's why the Cassel trade is so telling - It's less about the the prowess of Cassel and more about the continued willingness to bet the team's success on Manuel. The fact that it was against the wishes of the coaching staff compounds the problem.

I posted this in another thread but I think it's more pertinent to this one:

Honestly, I'm not even that down on Manuel right now. He's who I thought he was: a guy who struggles with consistency. Yes, he played an atrocious second half, and his final drive was sorry, but he played pretty well for most of the second half. He's a mediocre NFL QB.

The real problem is Whaley for trying to wish him into being something he isn't. If he were a developmental mid-rounder backing up a reliable pocket passer he'd be fine. But it's clear that far too much has been invested in him and we have relied far too heavily on him long after it became obvious to all but the most dedicated fanboy (and Whaley) that his ceiling was limited and his likelihood of hitting it scarce.

We saw today why two consecutive coaching staffs have gone in a different direction despite limited alternatives. Yet Whaley can't let it go. That's why the Cassel trade is so telling - It's less about the the prowess of Cassel and more about the continued willingness to bet the team's success on Manuel. The fact that it was against the wishes of the coaching staff compounds the problem.

How is he wishing him to be something he isn't? Taylor is the starting QB, EJ is/was the developmental guy. It took a season and a half to get him in that role, but that's where he is.