If Cassel plays decently, is that it for Whaley?

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it's not a matter of how good Cassel is but with Whaley's continued willingness to let the team's fate ride on Manuel's arm.

That's a lot of unfounded speculation to make that conclusion. I know there are stories out there in the media, conflicting reports about internal strife over EJ, but that doesn't make those reports true.

And you know I respect your opinion, I'm not trying to be obstinate.

No offense taken. I can't prove it, but it's the only scenario I can think of that makes sense. The coaching staff obviously preferred Cassel to Manuel because they dressed him and not Manuel. And the compensation was minimal at best - They didn't even get a 5th so much as they upgraded a 7th to a 5th because they sent Cassel and a 7th for the 5th. And it was a 2017 pick. So what was the point? Nothing else makes sense.

How many teams win with their backup QB and without their top two WR and backup RB and backup right side of the line. None.

Oh come on. His errors today were unforced and not a product of a depleted roster. He was horrible, and was the beneficiary of a dropped int and unrecovered fumble when he held it far too low on a sack. He is bad. He will make some plays; he's a good athlete with a big arm. But that doesn't make up for his massive flaws. Dn't blame this one on injuries.

Cassel sucks too.

Remind me when he desperately clinged to forcing him on everyone?

That's not quite how I worded it, but when he decided he was "all in" on Manuel and continued to go under the assumption that Manuel was his franchise guy after it appeared unlikely. He may not have forced him as the starter this year, but he apparently found a way to force him into the #2 spot. And when the only QB competition we've brought in since are a last minute panic signing of Orton, a guy we just traded for a bag of chips, and a 6th round back up (who God willing will work out) it appears to me that he's been operating under the assumption that Manuel is a viable option.

Oh come on. His errors today were unforced and not a product of a depleted roster. He was horrible, and was the beneficiary of a dropped int and unrecovered fumble when he held it far too low on a sack. He is bad. He will make some plays; he's a good athlete with a big arm. But that doesn't make up for his massive flaws. Dn't blame this one on injuries.

Cassel sucks too.

Cassel sucks too? Yet you've been crusading in another thread for Whaley to be fired for his part in trading Cassel to Dallas? Makes sense.

Cassel sucks too.

I wasn't. He was horrible. He threw ten horrible passes and directly responsible for 14 Jags points. He also put up 31 points on the board (yes there was a defensive TD but we also had first and goal at the one w/o a fumble and all good teams benefit from defensive turnovers of which we have had none for a few games until one today)

But I wasn't talking about EJ, I was talking about your ridiculous statement about Whaley. No team wins with what happened to the Bills. None. It's almost unarguable.

Whaley and Rex are good in my book. For now. By far the best GM HC combo we have had since BP ML. Give em time. We can't continue throwing coaches to the curb after 1/2 of a season people. Get a grip. This is still a good team.

Whaley and Rex are good in my book. For now. By far the best GM HC combo we have had since BP ML. Give em time. We can't continue throwing coaches to the curb after 1/2 of a season people. Get a grip. This is still a good team.

We sucked, but the sky isn't falling.

We've had 2 coaches quit on us in the last 15 years. Multiple other bad coaches and horribly unqualified gms. If we fire Rex, I don't want to know who wants this job. We'll end up with someone like a Caldwell or philbin...

We kept the younger garbage over the older garbage and acquired a draft pick.

Time to move on.

The difference is the younger garbage is still young and learning, and he has an actual NFL arm.

Whaley made the right choice in dumping Cassel, and EJ was doing his Geno Smith impression today

Wait...are you calling the thread stupid, or me stupid? Punctuation is important.

This thread.

It's an instant classic. OP creates a scenario where the GM traded a "quality" QB so that he could force "his guy" to be...the back-up with the belief that Cassel should be the back-up instead in the hopes he would have a good game tonight.

And, to no surprise to anyone who has watched football in the last 3 years, Meh sucked. Hard.

So now, OP is grasping at straws to continue his crusade against Whaley. Moving them goalposts.

This thread.

It's an instant classic. OP creates a scenario where the GM traded a "quality" QB so that he could force "his guy" to be...the back-up with the belief that Cassel should be the back-up instead in the hopes he would have a good game tonight.

And, to no surprise to anyone who has watched football in the last 3 years, Meh sucked. Hard.

So now, OP is grasping at straws to continue his crusade against Whaley. Moving them goalposts.

Thanks for clearing that up, and good post.