If Cassel plays decently, is that it for Whaley?

Issue in my mind is that Whaley has chosen one and now possibly two poor coaches for this franchise. Its not just abouy buikding a roster. And one without a good QB. Coaches matter big time.

At what point does the Teflon wear off of Whaley?

The Pegulas wanted Rex as much or more than Whaley and I firmly believe Marrone was a Brandon choice.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would seriously doubt there'd be changes at the HC or GM position.

There's really no point to do it either, other than repeating the musical chairs games of the past.

We need a good QB period.

We may have one, but he is currently injured and doesn't have a healthy supporting cast.

That's really it.

Again, TPegs did not spend 1.4B and then hand out all those big contracts to have this bad a team. He may not know football but I'd wager that he's going to get eyes on his team in the wake of today's debacle. Who knows, perhaps it's already happened.

The book on Whaley is he hasn't found a good QB or really drafted well offensively. At QB, he's signed guys off the street, drafted a guy, traded for guys and nothing worked. And before the predictable excuse makers show up en masse to ask who he should have picked, I would ask this question: Would a billionaire owner trust Doug Whaley who's tried and failed so often to find a good QB? I wouldn't.

Again, TPegs did not spend 1.4B and then hand out all those big contracts to have this bad a team. He may not know football but I'd wager that he's going to get eyes on his team in the wake of today's debacle. Who knows, perhaps it's already happened.

The book on Whaley is he hasn't found a good QB or really drafted well offensively. At QB, he's signed guys off the street, drafted a guy, traded for guys and nothing worked. And before the predictable excuse makers show up en masse to ask who he should have picked, I would ask this question: Would a billionaire owner trust Doug Whaley who's tried and failed so often to find a good QB? I wouldn't.

To be fair, Taylor has played fairly well, all things considered.

I think we saw why they decided not to keep Cassel.

I was wishing he did well, but it wasn't so.

So0o0 now that cassel preformed worse can we move on from the thought he would of done better...Ej is a back up Cassel is a back up but maybe a little worse..and tyrod is a unknown back up to bottom 15 QB...Is rivers available yet ?

I hope so.

What QB should Whaley have signed that he didn't? Think carefully, this is a very important answer....

I hope so.

I can't root for the Cowboys, so I didn't care one way or the other. I was happy to see Coughlin--who I like--win.

What QB should Whaley have signed that he didn't? Think carefully, this is a very important answer....

McCown was the guy, but the Browns outspent us and (from what I read) promised him more of a chance. He's a better player than Cassel at this point, and that's been made clear this season. He's playing pretty well for the Browns even though the record doesn't show it.

I hope so.

why is it that when manuel has bad days, many here say he just needs more time or you can't judge him on one game, etc. it's being said even now. cassel has a bad day and it's proof positive that he's a bum. seems a double standard and a lot of wishful thinking.

look, neither manuel or cassell are great or even good qb's. it's sad that we were in the position to need to pick between the 2. but many, including sports writers and commentators, are suggesting that cassel would be less likely to lose the bills games like manuel did yesterday. I think that's likely true.

Edited by birdog1960

To be fair, Taylor has played fairly well, all things considered.

Yes, but as Rico noted, that doesn't seem like a Whaley decision.

Such a predictable response. Whenever Buffalo shows their QB situation is poor, we always see this post. Well, as I've noted, OBD has been horrible identifying QB's and when they do, the player has been a bust.

There are muliple QB's taken from 2011-2014 in the 2nd and 3rd who are better than Manuel. And they're improving where EJ isn't. Take your pick.

why is it that when manuel has bad days, many here say he just needs more time or you can't judge him on one game, etc. it's being said even now. cassel has a bad day and it's proof positive that he's a bum. seems a double standard and a lot of wishful thinking.

look, neither manuel or cassell are great or even good qb's. it's sad that we were in the position to need to pick between the 2. but many, including sports writers and commentators, are suggesting that cassel would be less likely to lose the bills games like manuel did yesterday. I think that's likely true.

I am not sure how you come to that conclusion. Did you watch the Cowboys game? That loss is on Cassel, just as much as the Bills loss was on Manuel. Are we really comparing relative suckitude? Come on. This should not even be a debate. Of course the local sports writers want to keep it alive but it does mean you have to buy in to their personal opinions as if they were somehow fact.

I agree. I was just pointing out that the Bills appear to have a fairly decent QB on the roster who can help lead the team to wins.

Right. Although, it seems like the trend in Buffalo with Whaley has been for the HC to push for QB options beside EJ. Last year it was the Orton signing at the end of camp and this year Tyrod's acquisition in free agency along with the Cassel trade.

It's why I suspect Whaley didn't want competition at QB and dragged his feet with Marrone wanting Orton (although KO probably didn't want to go to a camp) and this year Rex winning out by getting them to sign 2 EJ competitors.

I am not sure how you come to that conclusion. Did you watch the Cowboys game? That loss is on Cassel, just as much as the Bills loss was on Manuel. Are we really comparing relative suckitude? Come on. This should not even be a debate. Of course the local sports writers want to keep it alive but it does mean you have to buy in to their personal opinions as if they were somehow fact.

not fact, opinion, and a reasonable opinion to consider. just as or more reasonable an opinion as those saying here that manuel just needs more time to develop at the beginning of the season. I watched some of the dallas game. I think fundamentally, cassel is the better player. it's widely reported that the bills coaches did as well. and it's not just local guys reporting it. there are links to national stories on this on threads here.

not fact, opinion, and a reasonable opinion to consider. just as or more reasonable an opinion as those saying here that manuel just needs more time to develop at the beginning of the season. I watched some of the dallas game. I think fundamentally, cassel is the better player. it's widely reported that the bills coaches did as well. and it's not just local guys reporting it. there are links to national stories on this on threads here.

Cassels Int's stay in the air longer, would give the defense time to rest.

Definetly a better option.

I can't root for the Cowboys, so I didn't care one way or the other. I was happy to see Coughlin--who I like--win.

McCown was the guy, but the Browns outspent us and (from what I read) promised him more of a chance. He's a better player than Cassel at this point, and that's been made clear this season. He's playing pretty well for the Browns even though the record doesn't show it.

I don't root for the Cowboys per say, but hoping Cassel didn't suck so much. He's a nice guy and I have no issues with him.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever