If Cassel plays decently, is that it for Whaley?

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still trying to figure out why we kept Boobie Dixon over Fred and Bryce. He has had 2 big special teams plays since coming here and that is it. Even if you rule out Fred for being 34 Bryce had far more upside potential than Dixon.

I cannot forsee them cutting ties with Whaley either.

This is a Matt Cassel/Whalley topic. I think you are replying to the wrong post.

Schefter said so, and he seems to have in an in with every important agent. He's usually reliable.

Rex's agent is Jimmy Sexton. For those who remember the Marrone divorce, they'll recall that Schefter was getting info from Marrone's agent -- the same Jimmy Sexton.

Isn't Schefter the one who fluffed up Marrone as a "hot prospect" for the Jets, Atlanta, and at least one other HC job?

If Ryan is crying to his agent about stuff Whaley does so that Sexton can leak it to Schefter, he's a jerk. If he really isn't on board with a decision, it should go to the Pegs as his and Whaley's boss.

If it's other coaches, ditto. I totally believe one or more coaches weren't happy, but there are probably other coaches who are screaming for more roster spots with injuries and someone has to cowboy up and make the tough decision.

If Ryan is unhappy about Cassel because of EJ's performance after watching Cassel's last two games, he's an idiot. Cassel has not looked good. Russ Wilson gift wrapped 7 points for the 'Boys and they walked off with a FG.

I hope you realise how stupid this thread is...

Whaley has:

1. Got us the #3 ranked guard in the NFL from FA
  2. Got us a possible franchise QB
  3. got us an elite RB (albeit an injured one)
  4. Drafted a top 3 corner without a first round pick
  5. Drafted a serviceable guard
  6. Drafted a very promising RB in the 5th round

All within the last year. I'm not even gonna mention the smart moves he made last year (ok I am, but briefly: Bringing in Orton, Signing Corey Graham, Drafting Henderson in the 7th, Drafting Preston Brown in the 3rd, the list goes on). None of these things are remotely controversial because I didnt want to list the moves that I thought were smart but other might disagree. In essence this list is only the moves that everyone with more than 3 neurons would think are good. So think before you create threads like this.

Letting Cassel go was the right decision. EJ is hard to watch but still better than Cassel

When Cassel hands the worst defense in the league 21 points on a neutral field then maybe Doug Failey will be vindicated.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/23116871/whaley-brings-steelers-ways-to-buffalo-banks-on-top-pick-manuel

I found this article from summer 2013 very interesting. Specifically:

Whaley: "Look at teams like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, the Giants," Whaley said. "They mostly are homegrown. That's the philosophy I was brought up in, and I subscribe to it wholeheartedly. Obviously we made a big push with Mario, and that's one of those things where we had a chance and decided to go for it. But most likely from now on it's going to be more building through the draft, re-signing our own guys, and if we do free agency, it's going to be some guys that have real value."

Or this from Jason LaCanfora:

"While Whaley's ascent to the GM title was long in the works, going back to before Marrone was hired in January, it became official in May."

How can anyone deduce that Manuel was not a Whaley pick and the recent free agent splurge was initiated by Rex is beyond me.

Add it up and this is a franchise with an uncertain football organization chart and some people who will be held accountable.

I hope you realise how stupid this thread is...

Whaley has:

1. Got us the #3 ranked guard in the NFL from FA
  2. Got us a possible franchise QB
  3. got us an elite RB (albeit an injured one)
  4. Drafted a top 3 corner without a first round pick
  5. Drafted a serviceable guard
  6. Drafted a very promising RB in the 5th round

All within the last year. I'm not even gonna mention the smart moves he made last year (ok I am, but briefly: Bringing in Orton, Signing Corey Graham, Drafting Henderson in the 7th, Drafting Preston Brown in the 3rd, the list goes on). None of these things are remotely controversial because I didnt want to list the moves that I thought were smart but other might disagree. In essence this list is only the moves that everyone with more than 3 neurons would think are good. So think before you create threads like this.

I agree with everything, except I think McCoy is healthy now.

I'm sure the Buffalo Sportswriters are coming up with some lame excuse as to why Cassel is still the next coming of Kurt Warner.

What a horrendous performance. It's laughable that the BN is making such a big deal about the Bills trading away a player who stinks up the league.

If they cannot see after today that EJ is head and shoulders above Cassel then theyre living in their own fantasy world.

But I guess any reason to trash Buffalo's front office they'll hook onto it.

Pathetic

Has anybody considered the possibility that all the **** the Bills were doing two months ago (rumors that the staff loved Cassel, sheltering him in preseason games, cutting/re-signing him at half the price, dressing him as the back-up) were nothing more than an effort to drive up his trade value so some sucker would toss us a 5th rounder for him? 0:)

Whaley is great at his job - not good - great.

All of this. Get Whaley a 10 year extension ASAP.

Less of the myopic "but Ej!!!" types would be trashing him as much if AW, Sammy, and Tyrod weren't injured.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Letting Cassel go was the right decision. EJ is hard to watch but still better than Cassel

As much as the Bills have been painful during the year, Whaley's been vindicated on all of his controversial moves. Cassell has been terrible and certainly not better than EJ. Fred Jackson has done nothing in Seattle, even w/ Lynch hurt and missing games. He picked two starters in this years' draft in Darby and Miller with his first 2 picks plus Karlos Williams. They had a fair QB competition and they indisputably selected the right guy to start. He resigned Jerry Hughes and Marcel Dareus, they're both playing very well despite the defense's overall troubles. McCoy has been very good when not playing hobbled w/ injury... and Kiko Alonso is out again

I'm not sure what more we could want on the GM front. The injuries have been simply decimating. Between starting QB, #1 receiver and Pro-Bowl running back... plus Kyle Williams, Aaron Williams. plus in the last game, right side of OL... man, there's not many teams that can take hits like that. I don't think any of the undefeated teams could take that much either

As much as the Bills have been painful during the year, Whaley's been vindicated on all of his controversial moves. Cassell has been terrible and certainly not better than EJ. Fred Jackson has done nothing in Seattle, even w/ Lynch hurt and missing games. He picked two starters in this years' draft in Darby and Miller with his first 2 picks plus Karlos Williams. They had a fair QB competition and they indisputably selected the right guy to start. He resigned Jerry Hughes and Marcel Dareus, they're both playing very well despite the defense's overall troubles. McCoy has been very good when not playing hobbled w/ injury... and Kiko Alonso is out again

I'm not sure what more we could want on the GM front. The injuries have been simply decimating. Between starting QB, #1 receiver and Pro-Bowl running back... plus Kyle Williams, Aaron Williams. plus in the last game, right side of OL... man, there's not many teams that can take hits like that. I don't think any of the undefeated teams could take that much either

Re the right side of the line, I'm not sure Henderson and Miller are better than their replacements -- at all. Miller has played poorly all season, and Henderson is a weak link. I don't see any dropoff from those two Urbik and CK, at least not yet. In other words, they're not a great loss. Edited by dave mcbride