If Cassel plays decently, is that it for Whaley?

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think so, but that's just a hunch. He'll last through the season but will be out come new year. This season is over.

Wait, we want to fire Whaley because he traded a career "meh" QB who threw 4 INTs in 1 game against NE last year and looked worse than Manuel in preseason and who threw 3 INTs and 1 TD yesterday in a loss?

Ooooookaaaaaay.....

Speak for others; don't speak for me. I was very opposed to the Cassel trade for the reasons that are now on full display. We entered garbage time with 8 minutes left in the second quarter, for chrissake.

You do realize that the Bills were leading in the 4th Q and let that slip?

Wait, we want to fire Whaley because he traded a career "meh" QB who threw 4 INTs in 1 game against NE last year and looked worse than Manuel in preseason and who threw 3 INTs and 1 TD yesterday in a loss?

Ooooookaaaaaay.....

You do realize that the Bills were leading in the 4th Q and let that slip?

Oh come on. Manuel was freaking horrible (so was Cassel). He should have had another pick in the end zone on a horrible throw and had another inexcusable fumble that the bills luckily recovered. As for cassel, the first word of my thread title is "if."

Oh come on. Manuel was freaking horrible (so was Cassel). He should have had another pick in the end zone on a horrible throw and had another inexcusable fumble that the bills luckily recovered. As for cassel, the first word of my thread title is "if."

Admit it, you were kinda hoping he played lights out so you could have your "I told you so" moment. It's ok, we won't judge.

Admit it, you were kinda hoping he played lights out so you could have your "I told you so" moment. It's ok, we won't judge.

The TBN media horde were really hoping Cassel would be lights out so they could stoke the Fire Whaley Flames even more. To their disappointment, he sucks regardless of team or venue.

The TBN media horde were really hoping Cassel would be lights out so they could stoke the Fire Whaley Flames even more. To their disappointment, he sucks regardless of team or venue.

I'm sure that was a huge disappointment for them. It's clear to see that Whaley is their next whipping boy. They'll turn on the owners too if winning doesn't start coming regularly.

i'm not sure why OP made this thread title a question.

should have read: if cassel plays decently, whaley should be fired. and if he doesn't, he should be fired anyways.

Not my intent at all. I was posing a question. This isn't really about whether I think Whaley is qualified for the job (I think he's done some good and bad, but I also think that his tenure has had a lot of coach/GM friction--which is not abnormal in the NFL). it's about whether there is conflict in the front office and who has the real juice. I think Ryan has it.

People shouldn't assume that by twisting what I said, they can get at what I really think.

Actually, no. I hate the Cowboys more than any other organization in professional sports. I'd root for the Patriots to beat them 73-0 in the Super Bowl if they faced each other.

Edited by dave mcbride

As bad as Manuel was in the second quarter, are you denying that the Bills took the lead with him at QB ? Don't get me wrong - I have turned the corner on EJ and now believe he is a very solid #2, nothing more. But to say that he sucked in the entire game is like saying TT was lights out for the entire Titans game. Memories are made by the end result. If the Bills had won against the Jags, the storyline on EJ would have had a rosy tint. Wouldnt have changed the fact that he was terrible for those 5 minutes but would have been excused.

For the record, I think TT is marginally better and so should be the starter when healthy. But neither of them are 'the guy'

As bad as Manuel was in the second quarter, are you denying that the Bills took the lead with him at QB ? Don't get me wrong - I have turned the corner on EJ and now believe he is a very solid #2, nothing more. But to say that he sucked in the entire game is like saying TT was lights out for the entire Titans game. Memories are made by the end result. If the Bills had won against the Jags, the storyline on EJ would have had a rosy tint. Wouldnt have changed the fact that he was terrible for those 5 minutes but would have been excused.

For the record, I think TT is marginally better and so should be the starter when healthy. But neither of them are 'the guy'

Technically, they didn't take the lead with him at QB; they took the lead with Corey Graham's pick. He played no role in giving them the lead. For the only time he touched the ball with the lead in the 4th quarter, they didn't score.

Yeah, the offence had 2 tds against the juggernaut Jags. 3 field goals and an int returned for a td was the rest of the points. You could go be the offence credit for the FG points, but those usually come becAuse they offence stalled and failed to score a td.

I wouldn't be giving EJ all this credit for getting them into a position to Winn after he was why they were in a position to get blown out

Technically, they didn't take the lead with him at QB; they took the lead with Corey Graham's pick. He played no role in giving them the lead. For the only time he touched the ball with the lead in the 4th quarter, they didn't score.

Come on, man. You have to give him credit for not going into a shell and leading two TD drives ? Or a possible third TD fumbled away by McCoy ? I can understand that he is not a starter but you have gone all FireChan on us in these last couple of days.

Not my intent at all. I was posing a question. This isn't really about whether I think Whaley is qualified for the job (I think he's done some good and bad, but I also think that his tenure has had a lot of coach/GM friction--which is not abnormal in the NFL). it's about whether there is conflict in the front office and who has the real juice. I think Ryan has it.

But if Ryan has the juice, then why should Whaley be on the hook for Cassel playing well?

GO BILLS!!!

Come on, man. You have to give him credit for not going into a shell and leading two TD drives ? Or a possible third TD fumbled away by McCoy ? I can understand that he is not a starter but you have gone all FireChan on us in these last couple of days.

As I've said elsewhere, he is a physical speciman with a big arm. He will make impressive plays. But he's simply too inconsistent on his throws and makes too many mental mistakes. Let's not forget the pick he should have had in the end zone. It was a terrible decision, made all the worse because it was to the same defender in the same sort of situation as his first pick. In terms of talent alone, he's -- as they say -- "good enough to get you fired." Ryan seems to be aware of this. Whaley appears not to be, although perhaps the last game caused him to change his view on the matter.

But if Ryan has the juice, then why should Whaley be on the hook for Cassel playing well?

GO BILLS!!!

What I'm saying is based on the supposition that the coaches didn't want to cut Cassel. That's been widely reported, and Whaley essentially admitted to the dissension in a recent press conference. Whaley's assessment of the two might be right in terms of performance (although both appear to be very bad), but if Ryan - the guy with the 5-year contract who handpicked Roman to run his offense - was opposed to the trade, then that'll factor into their relationship. To repeat, Whaley doesn't have a contract beyond week 17 of this season. I have heard nothing about an extension. QB issues have doomed Ryan for years. I don't think he wants the GM undercutting him on that particular issue, but I admit that my hunch here could be wrong.

Edited by dave mcbride

To repeat, Whaley doesn't have a contract beyond week 17 of this season. I have heard nothing about an extension. QB issues have doomed Ryan for years. I don't think he wants the GM undercutting him on that particular issue, but I admit that my hunch here could be wrong.

IMHO, Ryan's issues run beyond the absence of a good QB. I am not convinced he is a good HC. as with several past Buffalo HCs, he is a great coordinator in over his head with the top job. But coming full circle, Whaley has to be responsible for hiring him. Or was Ryan a Pegula hire ? Maybe I am jumping the gun here, but as I stated in other threads, the (non-QB) issues I see cropping up seem chronic with Ryan's teams. Issues which will limit success

I'm confused. (Nothing new) Our O is a MASH unit and our D can't stop a 3 year old on a tricycle. The D is pretty much the same personnel as last year. The only change is coaching. The Rex hire was a Pegula decision not Whaley's. If you want to rag on someone...

IMHO, Ryan's issues run beyond the absence of a good QB. I am not convinced he is a good HC. as with several past Buffalo HCs, he is a great coordinator in over his head with the top job. But coming full circle, Whaley has to be responsible for hiring him. Or was Ryan a Pegula hire ? Maybe I am jumping the gun here, but as I stated in other threads, the (non-QB) issues I see cropping up seem chronic with Ryan's teams. Issues which will limit success

To answer your questions, Rex reports to Pegs, not DW.

As I've said elsewhere, he is a physical speciman with a big arm. He will make impressive plays. But he's simply too inconsistent on his throws and makes too many mental mistakes. Let's not forget the pick he should have had in the end zone. It was a terrible decision, made all the worse because it was to the same defender in the same sort of situation as his first pick. In terms of talent alone, he's -- as they say -- "good enough to get you fired." Ryan seems to be aware of this. Whaley appears not to be, although perhaps the last game caused him to change his view on the matter.

What I'm saying is based on the supposition that the coaches didn't want to cut Cassel. That's been widely reported, and Whaley essentially admitted to the dissension in a recent press conference. Whaley's assessment of the two might be right in terms of performance (although both appear to be very bad), but if Ryan - the guy with the 5-year contract who handpicked Roman to run his offense - was opposed to the trade, then that'll factor into their relationship. To repeat, Whaley doesn't have a contract beyond week 17 of this season. I have heard nothing about an extension. QB issues have doomed Ryan for years. I don't think he wants the GM undercutting him on that particular issue, but I admit that my hunch here could be wrong.

Is there any evidence that Ryan & Whaley disagreed on Cassel ? Or is it just Bflo News reporters surmising that there is a rift???