Watkins: "I need 10 targets... You're making me look bad."

johnwalter

Maybe if he could stay on the field he would get some targets. Every time someone breathes on him he gets injured. Play a few games without getting hurt before you start complaining about targets.

There is a stupid mindset coming from this.

I get that Sammy should refrain from talking to the media like this, so if you want to gripe about that, that's fine. But the issue is what's happening when he's on the field. Injury or not, he's getting open and not being targeted.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because what he said is accurate, doesn't make it wise to share it with the media.

It's like one of the players saying, "Well, Tyrod really sucked for the majority of the game, but he did get us back in it with his legs. Thank God we didn't need to rely on accurate passing," after last week's game. I'm sure many thought it; but it's not right to say it into a microphone.

I completely agree with this

Yeah, he obviously needs to be part of the progression. And isn't our OC supposed to be a mastermind of manipulating motions and shifts to force mismatches?

Yeah and that's part of my confusion. Roman was able to make Boldin a big part of the passing game in SF with Kaep at QB. I was expecting to see similar targets for Sammy.

I think we do have a better supporting cast at WR than SF has, but Sammy is the guy. The guy they traded for.

Maybe if he could stay on the field he would get some targets. Every time someone breathes on him he gets injured. Play a few games without getting hurt before you start complaining about targets.

Played in 19 of 21 games and you wanna act like he's Percy Harvin?

Edited by The Wiz

I've got no problem with "Look at the film. I'm getting open so go to me more." (Assuming he's right about the situation.) I've got a huge problem with "I need X number of targets." It's a selfish attitude that points to a guy who wants a big payday and not a guy who wants to win or help his team.

I agree with Sammy and his frustration. He has to be a go to guy. His piers on other teams are thrown to no matter what. My only beef is that Sammy needs to be healthy more. He gets these nagging injuries. He should be upset though. There's never a reason Sammy should be targeted less than 7-10 times a game.

Here's what's wrong: he went public. Why? Because he's frustrated, vain and he's decided to indulge himself while telling the world, "Hey, it's not me! It's the coaches and quarterbacks! I'm just as good as Odell and those guys, really!" He's putting his ego before the team, and it sucks. Shut up, Watkins, and play the game. It's not all about you, jerk. That's all we need, a prima donna.

I've got no problem with "Look at the film. I'm getting open so go to me more." (Assuming he's right about the situation.) I've got a huge problem with "I need X number of targets." It's a selfish attitude that points to a guy who wants a big payday and not a guy who wants to win or help his team.

He's already talked about how it helps the team.

Well put. I see nothing wrong with what he said. But regardless of whether it was his fault or not, part of his problem has been him being hurt. One of the reasons they didn't throw as many bubble screens to him last year (more targets) was because of his rib injury in the first half of the season. I don't have a problem with what he said at all but he probably shouldn't have said it right now when he hasn't been on the field for two weeks.

I'll agree with that.

Hopkins from Houston has put up good numbers last year and into this year with Fitzy, Hoyer and Mallet throwing to him.....I agree get him the ball.

probably already mentioned as I haven't read this whole thread but Hopkins is his best friend so it probably touches a nerve to see him getting 14 targets per game even with a bad QB.