NFL Owners Approve More International Games

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the idea of a full-time international team, seems like a lot of fun. It'd be cool to have a division rivalry with a team in Prague or something. I don't see the problem.

The international series has been an unmitigated disaster. Fun fact, less than half the countries in the world (probably even less than 25%) use the formal system of measurement the English System. Basically its us, the Brits, a few warlord governed African nations, and probably that old limey Penile colony down south founded by people to dumb to be Brits. The rest of the backwards world uses Celsius. The point is, that foreigners and other culturally disadvantaged peoples cannot properly visualize the game of football. Yards have no meaning to them (they don't even call them yards in Europe, instead calling them gardens for some ass in nine reason). Its like if I told you to run 9 meters and then do a cute little button hook with a cross stitch, you would be confused as all hell? How far is that? 2 yards, 10 yards, half a mile??? We just can't visualize it.

Given this context, its absolutely no surprise that the Canada series was parsley attended and it was so quiet you could hear a poutine drop. Total flop. The part that drives me crazy is that these corporate eggheads keep pitching this idea as if its something new when they've been playing the Pro Bowl in Hawaii forever!!!! 30 years of foreign Pro Bowls and what are the results? Probably cancelling the damn game sometime soon due to lack of interest. Granite, maybe we don't have Polamalulu and Manati Teo without Hawaii pro bowl, but when we're talking about growing the game, we should be aiming higher than a just two guys, their families, and their girlfriend's families.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Aaron

i would be curious as to what would happen if they tried to take a game from Seattle or Green Bay to have them play another up North team (Detroit, Minnesota, Miami).

I think it would be a lot different then Jags to London, Bills to Tonto, or Texans/Raiders to Mehico.

• 1 month later...

@JohnKryk

Canada (behind Mexico, Germany) among countries #NFL considering for reg-season Int'l games. Tor, Vanc likeliest: http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/07/nfl-owners-approve-more-international-games-including-games-outside-england

Mexico could become a big and natural option for the NFL. I think even more so than Canada where the NFL may be viewed as a bit of a bully to the CFL.

With all of this international game talk about really upping the amount of games played outside of the US it really seems necessary for them to design a better way to distribute who is losing their home games.

I saw someone float an idea on the boards a while back that would make a lot of sense. Add a 17th game to the schedule that is played as a neutral field game for every team and then an extra bye week that always comes after your international match-up.

The way it is now some teams are always getting boned out of a home game which to me really hurts the competitive balance of the league.

@AlbertBreer

Per source, the NFL is also looking at putting a 2017 regular-season game in Germany. That's in addition to the idea of China in 2018.

I'm surprised that it's taken this long for the NFL to have a game in Germany.

The NFL is far more popular in Germany than in England. Remember how many WLAF teams were in Germany?

The NFL now has a global brand reach and it is time for our fans in Mexico and outside North America to have the opportunity to enjoy live NFL games. We are proud of the relationships we have built in Europe and Asia and look forward to leveraging those into the opportunity to bring regular season games to fans in China, Germany and elsewhere.

Please make it stop - international games suck.

I get that they want to expand the sport to other markets and open the game up to the world, but these are REAL GAMES with REAL CONSEQUENCES. Teams lose home games. Teams have to travel time zones and deal with the consequences. Then there's the logistics of getting tons of equipment and having all players get passports and having their affairs in order to be able to travel. At some point soon there will be a player with a passport or legal issue that will prevent them from playing in an international game that will impact the game and the fans.

Put some preseason games in China - they won't know the difference and we don't care about them. Nobody gets all messed up traveling halfway around the world and then needing time to travel and recover or be at a disadvantage to their next opponent.

Oh, and did I mention the fans? I wasn't a big fan of getting up early and dealing with Yahoo streaming video for a London game last season, and I'm on the east coat - had I been a fan in Cali I would have been up at 6am to see the game. It'll only get worse with games in China. I don't know about you, but I'm going to be majorly pissed when I have to wake up at 4am to watch a Bills game from Kuala Lampur broadcast via a series of 6 second Vines and animated gifs.

My solution will sound bold. This is a business and what is a business #1 goal, to increase profits. The real solution is another division in North America, and another in Europe.

You could find 4 cities in Canada and Mexico, and another in Europe. You'd have to extend two bye weeks, amd a 17 game season, with another wildcard team in each division, but it would bolster sales by two fold or more.

I know it sounds very bold, but if you owned a company that could triple it's profits over 20 years, you'd sign up for it all day. It's coming whether people like it or not, just a matter of how long it takes.

They see soccer as a global sport and want to be the #1 sport in the world. I don't care because I'm a football addict.

Should go to 17 games one neutral site game each team.

My solution will sound bold. This is a business and what is a business #1 goal, to increase profits. The real solution is another division in North America, and another in Europe.

You could find 4 cities in Canada and Mexico, and another in Europe. You'd have to extend two bye weeks, amd a 17 game season, with another wildcard team in each division, but it would bolster sales by two fold or more.

I know it sounds very bold, but if you owned a company that could triple it's profits over 20 years, you'd sign up for it all day. It's coming whether people like it or not, just a matter of how long it takes.

They see soccer as a global sport and want to be the #1 sport in the world. I don't care because I'm a football addict.

The players don't want more games.

Should go to 17 games one neutral site game each team.

That's what's being talked about. Seems likely that's the path going forward. London games have sold out at $200/ticket the last few years. I heard on NFLR that had been the plan (crazy high prices) so the League believes the tix weren't sold to groups of people, rather individual, They can gage the interest better this way -so the story goes. China?? I've traveled there on bidniz a few times. 21 hrs from Jax, Fl to Wuhan Province. The League will almost certainly have to add another bye week to the schedule as well.

The NFL now has a global brand reach and it is time for our fans in Mexico and outside North America to have the opportunity to enjoy live NFL games. We are proud of the relationships we have built in Europe and Asia and look forward to leveraging those into the opportunity to bring regular season games to fans in China, Germany and elsewhere.

Love this guy!

What you should've done while you've been invading the world recently is teach them your sports.

We gave the world football and cricket while we owned half the planet and didn't have to take meaningful games abroad for financial growth. Global games, the NFL is small fry in comparison.

This is a business and what is a business #1 goal, to increase profits.

And therein lies the problem for many people because what is supposed to be a business on the field, one of competing and winning, has migrated to a win "off the field" mentality. This is the same imperial, global domination mentality espoused by our so-called leaders. The idea of a roving American target like an NFL teaming games in Europe is frankly ridiculous. Belgium anyone? I used to like sports as the escape from corporate life, now it's ingrained into fans that we must accept constant barrages of commercials, in the stadium and at home. That what used to be 3 hour games are now closer to 3.5 so we can be sold more products. Any of this make the games better? Aren't we interested in the product? The reality is the product is worse.

Here's hoping out leaders in Erie County and NYS tell the Pegulas to go pound salt when they put their greedy little hands out for stadium funds. If the NFL can continue to be profitable at this rate and now want to expand globally, let the league, not the taxpayers, act like corporate welfare advocates and pay for stadiums.

Guess who becomes the teams that get sent overseas? The small market powerless teams who will be forced to give up a home game and let the Cowboys, Patriots, either NJ team, etc. be the road team, saving a home game for them.

No league has more wrong than the NFL. I don't seem the Premier League, Bundesliga, or La Liga looking to put teams and games overseas, or did I miss something. Why can't you just have it on TV there and be done with it? The Premier League is more popular in the US everyday because we get to watch all games every weekend. Model seems to work for them, without trying to move games overseas.

Please make it stop - international games suck.

I get that they want to expand the sport to other markets and open the game up to the world, but these are REAL GAMES with REAL CONSEQUENCES. Teams lose home games. Teams have to travel time zones and deal with the consequences. Then there's the logistics of getting tons of equipment and having all players get passports and having their affairs in order to be able to travel. At some point soon there will be a player with a passport or legal issue that will prevent them from playing in an international game that will impact the game and the fans.

Players can get passports themselves pretty easily. And how many convicted felons do you think any given team would carry on its roster?

That, I am sure, is the long term plan. The point I think they have to be really careful with is diluting the product. Starting to get these new markets interested with overseas games in the hope they begin to produce players has to happen first before major expansion I think. There are a fair few British born kids now playing in the NFL and I suspect it will only increase with the next generation now seeing it as a sport that is a realistic option for them.

Then there's the logistics of getting tons of equipment and having all players get passports and having their affairs in order to be able to travel.

It's a flight to Europe......not James Bond giving them 24 hours before taking them in for treason.