A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

It's weird. He buys himself some time in the pocket and then looks lost and takes a sack. He had plenty of chances to roll out of the pocket and run or toss it downfield. It's like he was stubborn in the 2nd and 3rd Qtrs wanting to show he could make plays from the pocket. Forget that. He needs to be an athlete and roll outta there. Good things happened late when he did.

Agree 100%

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad I am not the only one that noticed that sending Hughes into coverage was nothing short of insane. We pay this guy to rush the quarterback, not to drop into pass protection. The DL play in the last two games is making me grow increasingly concerned that Rex is forcing talent to fit into his system rather than building the system around his players' talent.

And wtf - I don't want to see any Bills jerseys on defense beginning with the number '5' playing like they are safeties. You will get beat each and every time by the WR, particularly when the deflator is throwing the ball. This was an 'exotic' defense for all the wrong reasons.

I think this is the first time I have ever seen three penalties called on a single play against a single team.

The offensive line needs to shape up, and fast. McCoy had no holes up the middle and in pass protection they were awful. But, when you are a greenhorn quarterback and you score 32 points against NE*, that's not horrible. That's all you can expect out of Taylor. This one falls squarely on the defensive line with their inability to pressure the QB, and the boneheaded penalties we took on nearly every special teams play.

I think Tyrod rolling out, or at least taking a couple steps to either side will constitute 80% of his pass plays going forward. I've never seen that charted for Russell Wilson, but I imagine the percentage is pretty high with him too to allow him to get those clear lanes.

The weakest link in the Pats defense is the backfield. The Bills needed to challenge them downfield, but didn't have good enough protection let plays develop. Time for a roll-out!

Edited by HoF Watkins

I am glad I am not the only one that noticed that sending Hughes into coverage was nothing short of insane. We pay this guy to rush the quarterback, not to drop into pass protection. The DL play in the last two games is making me grow increasingly concerned that Rex is forcing talent to fit into his system rather than building the system around his players' talent.

And wtf - I don't want to see any Bills jerseys on defense beginning with the number '5' playing like they are safeties. You will get beat each and every time by the WR, particularly when the deflator is throwing the ball. This was an 'exotic' defense for all the wrong reasons.

I think this is the first time I have ever seen three penalties called on a single play against a single team.

The offensive line needs to shape up, and fast. McCoy had no holes up the middle and in pass protection they were awful. But, when you are a greenhorn quarterback and you score 32 points against NE*, that's not horrible. That's all you can expect out of Taylor. This one falls squarely on the defensive line with their inability to pressure the QB, and the boneheaded penalties we took on nearly every special teams play.

So I wasn't imagining it. Hughes actually covered Gronk better than anyone else ... but really, it shows how McDaniels just owned Rex and Thurman today. Gronk on linebackers and Hughes (who really is a linebacker when you think about it) never should have happened, yet it happened repeatedly. I'll ascribe some of that to the 11 days of prep time - another reason I hate Thursday games. But it should come as no surprise to Rex that they would try everything to isolate Gronk on mismatches, and I thought Rex's theory was "don't let Gronk beat you." I guess not.

I cant believe they had a gameplan that dropped Hughes into deep coverage.. All this talk all week bout Williams and Gilmore wanting to cover Gronk and its linebackers and even Hughes covering him..

I hope this entire gameplan is in the garbage already..

Rex completely outsmarted himself on defense today I am afraid. His need to disguise everything rather than just matching up is suicide against a team that relies on exploiting match ups. We spent all week talking about a plan to contain Gronk and the plan basically seemed to come down to "confuse Brady" when that didn't work and he was able to get the ball out he just picked on some frankly bizarre match ups.

People criticised Schwartz last year in the first Patriots game for being too vanilla and relying on our talent to trouble the Pats.... well today Rex nullified our talent and put all the pressure on his scheme and it failed miserably. Tom Brady and Bill Belichick were cleverer than him. At different points today I saw Hughes, Bradham and Robey on Gronk. All good players, all do good things, but none are going to win that match up 1v1. Suicide. Rex's defense sucked today.

The penalties then were an obvious failure, as was the offensive game plan which after the scripted plays seemed to be pot luck.

The positives?

- we kept fighting

- McCoy looked good

- we don't have to play Brady every week.

Edited by GunnerBill

Tyrods not seeing over the middle from the pocket. And not just passing lanes but rushing lanes too. He's better out of the pocket because he doesn't have to try and look past his blockers.

THIS. I think both of the interceptions came on high passes that were high because otherwise he can't get them over the center of the line.

Tyrods not seeing over the middle from the pocket. And not just passing lanes but rushing lanes too. He's better out of the pocket because he doesn't have to try and look past his blockers.

How do you conduct an effective, timing offense with a QB like Taylor who might be having a hard time seeing the field because of his height and who needs to move around to see? There's no longer any reason for "prototype height/size/arm" EJ Manuel to be inactive other than they would be admitting they are worried about possibly hurting Taylor's feelings.

How do you conduct an effective, timing offense with a QB like Taylor who might be having a hard time seeing the field because of his height and who needs to move around to see? There's no longer any reason for "prototype height/size/arm" EJ Manuel to be inactive other than they would be admitting they are worried about possibly hurting Taylor's feelings.

Right on cue.

I have been getting a strong feeling of deja vu regarding TT. I think he is seeing the field fine...but is suffering from EJitis. It seemed like every time he dropped back to pass, he would look, decide not to throw, and then would either dump it short or the pocket would collapse. He really needs to just trust what he sees(and his talented WRs) and throw the ball downfield IMO.

What, for calling for Manuel to be made active for games?...LOL You are too funny!

I think this is a fair point but it's going to stir up trouble around here. Watching Taylor double clutch and drift into sacks today, while missing numerous open reads, left me wondering whether he really gives us the best chance to win right now. EJ might've been a better option today in all honesty.

I think this is a fair point but it's going to stir up trouble around here. Watching Taylor double clutch and drift into sacks today, while missing numerous open reads, left me wondering whether he really gives us the best chance to win right now. EJ might've been a better option today in all honesty.

Who cares really, the EJ hate insanity needs to end. The Bills have a 6'4", 245 lb, athletic, strong armed, former 1st round QB who looked great in preseason in street clothes. Could only happen with the Buffalo Bills!...LOL

2) My prayers go out to Aaron Williams, and it was great to see the team praying for him.

7) How did it happen? How did Rex Ryan suddenly morph into Dick Jauron? Look, we don't have great coverage linebackers. Bradham is a pass rusher (and a good one), and Brown is a top run stuffer. Putting them in the secondary didn't work. And please remind me why we gave Hughes millions of dollars. Never mind, I remember...because he is a pass rusher!!!!! Today Rex reminded me of Dumbo Jauron sending Schobel out on coverage. We had the crowd noise and should have sent the kitchen sink after Brady!

14) Bottom line is that Rex has to take control and straighten things out. It looks like he has a lot to work with.

Bottom line deserves to be up front: Rex has the talent on this team. It's up to him to take control, straighten things out and get it done.

It's a cliche, but I have to say it: we were outcoached today in all 3 aspects of the game.

Rex was handed the keys to a top-5 elite defense in the NFL last year. With the exception of McKelvin and Searcy, the D is intact and it looks as though we made some nice pickups in Darby and some other players sich as Nickel Robey who have come on nicely.

If he can't be successful and build a stout D with this group of players, there is no "front office didn't give me good players" card to play as an excuse.

Likewise: except for an elite QB (for which his claim to fame is "just give me decent, I can take you to the superbowl with decent), Roman was handed most of the pieces of an offense poised to take a step. Today, it looked as though that step is "backwards"

I believe I heard a report for AW's father that he has movement in all extremities, so whatever his injury and course of treatment are we will pray for the best prognosis.

One little consulation: as much as I think Edelman is a little punk, as far as can be told the AW injury was "just one of those things", clean play, both players doing their jobs.

Bottom line deserves to be up front: Rex has the talent on this team. It's up to him to take control, straighten things out and get it done.

It's a cliche, but I have to say it: we were outcoached today in all 3 aspects of the game.

Rex was handed the keys to a top-5 elite defense in the NFL last year. With the exception of McKelvin and Searcy, the D is intact and it looks as though we made some nice pickups in Darby and some other players sich as Nickel Robey who have come on nicely.

If he can't be successful and build a stout D with this group of players, there is no "front office didn't give me good players" card to play as an excuse.

Likewise: except for an elite QB (for which his claim to fame is "just give me decent, I can take you to the superbowl with decent), Roman was handed most of the pieces of an offense poised to take a step. Today, it looked as though that step is "backwards"

I believe I heard a report for AW's father that he has movement in all extremities, so whatever his injury and course of treatment are we will pray for the best prognosis.

One little consulation: as much as I think Edelman is a little punk, as far as can be told the AW injury was "just one of those things", clean play, both players doing their jobs.

Good points here. It's really true about the defense especially - they're strong across the board. It's not like we're short a cornerback or a linebacker. Today was straight coaching.

Vick got sacked a ton too. Avoiding a sack is about the line and getting rid of the ball. Not about speed.

GET RID OF THE BALL!

Brady picks you apart with several slants and short sideline passes, then after a while he goes for the big play down the field.

Those short passes are out of his hand in about one second. Tyrod was holding the ball and looking, looking, looking for WAY too long.

We had a terrible day and game but I feel more depressed by reading some of the post-game takes then I did watching a HOF QB carve us up.

Early in the season and we need to just get rolling now. We played NE and Indy and are 1-1. Time for us to keep improving and the Defense better be ready to take out Miami.

I wonder if alot of this could be attributed to all the pre-season injuries to RB and WR. Guys that should have been practicing ST all summer were playing RB and WR in the pre-season games. Now askign them to jell together without much practice.

3) The special teams coach lost control of his players early on and it really hurt us. That said, Rex deserves blame as well. More on Rex to come.

It is a little weird, this rush for the exits. Many people here look at the schedule before the season, and put an "L" next to the Patriot games. The Bills are a work in progress, so going into this season, you would have to expect them to have some growing pains. They just aren't ready to beat the champs in week 2.

Edited by HoF Watkins

It is a little weird, this rush for the exits. Many people here look at the schedule before the season, and put an "L" next to the Patriot games. The Bills are a work in progress, so going into this season, you would have to expect them to have some growing pains. They just aren't ready to beat the champs in week 2.

I had them starting 1-2 beating Indi, losing today and next week and ending 10-6. If we win next week we are ahead of my schedule.

All true, but the Penalties were the story of the game. That's on Rex Ryan. 2 weeks in a row.

The penalties not only killed anything the offense might get going, it repeatedly turned into great field position for the Pats.

Yes, but there were several of the "Are you watching the same game as I am??" variety as well...

THIS. I think both of the interceptions came on high passes that were high because otherwise he can't get them over the center of the line.

I respectfully disagree. It's all about lateral movement and creating passing lanes, as others around the NFL have said. Last time I checked, R Wilson was shorter than TT, and he does it just fine. I hope GRo will get more creative w/ TT to get him moving out of the pocket, throwing w/ designed rollouts, thus taking advantage of his athleticism. As we saw today, he's not a traditional drop back, stay in the pocket QB

I wonder if alot of this could be attributed to all the pre-season injuries to RB and WR. Guys that should have been practicing ST all summer were playing RB and WR in the pre-season games. Now askign them to jell together without much practice.

This is a point. IMHO Taylor is not very confident/comfortable/"in sync" with Watkins yet. This may have contributed to 2 of the 3 INTs with Watkins as the intended target. I felt Taylor wasnot very confident exactly what his target window was for Watkins

The third INT was just plain forcing it.

I respectfully disagree. It's all about lateral movement and creating passing lanes, as others around the NFL have said. Last time I checked, R Wilson was shorter than TT, and he does it just fine. I hope GRo will get more creative w/ TT to get him moving out of the pocket, throwing w/ designed rollouts, thus taking advantage of his athleticism. As we saw today, he's not a traditional drop back, stay in the pocket QB

FWIW, seems as though NE did a very good job disrupting RW's passing game and limiting him through most of the SB last year.

I loved the comeback but Rex has a lot of work to do with this group.

NE's defense sucks. It is bad and to get 40+ put up on our D is inexcusable.

However, I don't want to win this one. I want the one in November when we are vying for the division.

Don't get too high or too low. Bring on the Fish.