A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

Nobody is putting the loss on Gilmore, but like his teammates, he had a bad game.

In the first half, It was so clear Gronk was gonna get the TD. Why not call a Timeout there if you see your secondary having communication issues as to who covers who? Instead, Gronk scores UNTOUCHED.

Then on the 4rth and 1 to ice the game, Gilmore got burnt bad again. Luckily Brady overthrew the wide open player.

I liked the zip that Taylor has on his balls. I just wish he would release the ball a little faster.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody is putting the loss on Gilmore, but like his teammates, he had a bad game.

In the first half, It was so clear Gronk was gonna get the TD. Why not call a Timeout there if you see your secondary having communication issues as to who covers who? Instead, Gronk scores UNTOUCHED.

Then on the 4rth and 1 to ice the game, Gilmore got burnt bad again. Luckily Brady overthrew the wide open player.

I liked the zip that Taylor has on his balls. I just wish he would release the ball a little faster.

What are you talking about?

Tyrod took the check down too often. There were open receivers but he was afraid to throw it into coverage areas. He drifted into pressure. He lacked clock urgency and had the receivers lined up incorrectly on multiple occasions. His TD pass to Woods probably should've been intercepted. I wasn't thrilled with his performance at all.

I couldn't tell on TV how often there were open receivers but it seemed to me Taylor held the ball way too long all day. He was checking down even when the Pats were crowding the LOS, and his downfield throws were not impressive. The two picks were on him, not the WRs.

I'm certainly not saying they should throw in the towel on a guy after his second start, but I'm missing all the Taylor love this morning. He has a long way to go IMO.

I couldn't tell on TV how often there were open receivers but it seemed to me Taylor held the ball way too long all day. He was checking down even when the Pats were crowding the LOS, and his downfield throws were not impressive. The two picks were on him, not the WRs.

I'm certainly not saying they should throw in the towel on a guy after his second start, but I'm missing all the Taylor love this morning. He has a long way to go IMO.

I was at the game and had a good view - there were numerous times when receivers came open in Taylor's field of vision and he hesitated and waited for the check down.

I was at the game and had a good view - there were numerous times when receivers came open in Taylor's field of vision and he hesitated and waited for the check down.

Lets hope this is a "having a bad day at the office" thing and not a recurrent one.

I definitely think after the pressure NE got in the 1st quarter that Tyrod started taking his eyes down earlier when he felt pressure instead of keeping them downfield. We needed to run some plays that had quick reads and easy completions to build some confidence back (like the start of the Indy game) instead of asking him to be Brady and read the entire field while under pressure.

Yeah John, I am not getting why people are upset wrt Tyrod.

As I said, I would like to see him on a few more called running plays. I get the risk, but it might also make his job easier by forcing defenses to account for this.

I thought that there were 2 stretches of game play yesterday--from mid 1st quarter to mid 2nd quarter, and most of the 3rd quarter--in which Taylor looked a bit lost out there. He rallied, which is encouraging, but I do think that he played a bit too conservatively and also appeared not to see Clay open down the seam a few times.

Nothing particularly damning as far as I'm concerned, but certainly some things that he needs to improve upon IMO.

He allowed 2 completions in 59 pass attempts.

He wasn't even the guy in coverage on the 4th-and-1.

I haven't read through all of the comments in this thread, but my thoughts can be boiled down to the following:

1 - For all of the color commentary on how good this defense was supposed to be, it didn't show yesterday. Is it just me or did it seem like the Bills were sending just 3 guys almost all day? I'm not sure there was even physical contact with Brady outside of the two coverage sacks they had.

2 - While his stat line looked OK (23/30) as a passer, 3 turnovers is not acceptable. I'll remind everyone that when you're -1 in turnovers that as a team you lose 90% of the time. 3 Turnovers were 100% on Tyrod.

3 - Also on Tyrod is 8 sacks. Perhaps not all of them, but most of them. He lingered on many occasions for far too long in the pocket and just didn't see receivers that were open.

4 - The offensive play calling was atrocious. I watched the Patriots put 8 or 9 guys in the box over and over again, and the play call was still "run middle". Where were the throws over the top? Why did they pay so much for Charles Clay if they were going to use him so much more like they did Scott Chandler?

5 - 37-13. That's the score that everyone should be focused on. The final score is nice and all to say that they were within a touchdown, but they really were not. It's akin to looking at the score last week at 27-14 and saying it was "close one". The reality in both cases is that there was a 24 point lead, at which point the game was basically already over.

6 - A loss at Miami next week will mean that the season is essentially over. You can say that it's premature, but I really don't think so. It's early in the season, but it's no less of a statement game than this one should have been. Everyone had the Bills as the third best team in the AFC East behind the cheaters and the Dolphins. To start off 1-2 plays right into that expectation. I don't care if they win the next 5 after that in a row. They won't of course, but the fish are a must win at this point.

Yeah John, I am not getting why people are upset wrt Tyrod.

As I said, I would like to see him on a few more called running plays. I get the risk, but it might also make his job easier by forcing defenses to account for this.

Please stop it. Stop it! Stop it right now! I don't mind him running when receivers are covered and the field is open in front of him. I don't want him running on designed plays. It is a tantalizing thought but the risks are too great for this slighltly built qb. Even if he is successful on four consecutive running plays, on the fifth he could get battered.

We have found a qb who is mobile, smart and throws well. Why take needless risks? It's not worth it. As it stands TT is very judicious in deciding when to take off and when not to. I don't want to plant the notion that he needs to run more. He exhibits good judgment as it is.

This organization needs to find out if TT is the long term answer at qb. If he gets hurt on a designed running play his injury will set this franchise back. So please stop with your reckless recommendation for this diminutive qb to run more. He is an absolutely critical player who can lead this ramshackle franchise into becoming a respectable team.

I implore you to control your passions and be more cautious. Without a doubt the long term interest overrides the short term interest. Most often steady money outlasts quick money. Trust me, I will not lead you astray. :thumbsup:

Edited by JohnC

I haven't read through all of the comments in this thread, but my thoughts can be boiled down to the following:

1 - For all of the color commentary on how good this defense was supposed to be, it didn't show yesterday. Is it just me or did it seem like the Bills were sending just 3 guys almost all day? I'm not sure there was even physical contact with Brady outside of the two coverage sacks they had.

2 - While his stat line looked OK (23/30) as a passer, 3 turnovers is not acceptable. I'll remind everyone that when you're -1 in turnovers that as a team you lose 90% of the time. 3 Turnovers were 100% on Tyrod.

3 - Also on Tyrod is 8 sacks. Perhaps not all of them, but most of them. He lingered on many occasions for far too long in the pocket and just didn't see receivers that were open.

4 - The offensive play calling was atrocious. I watched the Patriots put 8 or 9 guys in the box over and over again, and the play call was still "run middle". Where were the throws over the top? Why did they pay so much for Charles Clay if they were going to use him so much more like they did Scott Chandler?

1) For a creative mastermind, Ryan was very vainilla with his gameplan and at times not very smart. I thought he needed to mix things up, make Brady think if the blitz is coming next or not. I know Brady got rid of the ball quickly but we didn't adjust to that either by pressing some of those little guys outside.

2) It becomes unacceptable when it's a recurrent thing. Many QBs have bad days with turnovers but the key here is that it doesn't become a trend, like with FItz interceptions, where you knew he always had one in him every game. The sample size is small so we can't hit the panic button yet. The passes on this ints were high passes and he should be held accountable for them, though.

3) Someone asked yesterday if TT stands for Trentative Two, which was funny but it wasn't as much fun seeing TT hesitate and not know what to do with the football at times. We shall see if this continues when other teams dare him to beat them with his arm.

4) "The starting QB will also be defined by how well he puts the offense in good situations with run and pass checks." This was Roman in one interview during TC and the QB battle. I have to assume TT has the liberty to call audibles but maybe because of his inexperience Roman and Rex have a short leash for the meantime.

I thought that there were 2 stretches of game play yesterday--from mid 1st quarter to mid 2nd quarter, and most of the 3rd quarter--in which Taylor looked a bit lost out there. He rallied, which is encouraging, but I do think that he played a bit too conservatively and also appeared not to see Clay open down the seam a few times.

Nothing particularly damning as far as I'm concerned, but certainly some things that he needs to improve upon IMO.

He allowed 2 completions in 59 pass attempts.

He wasn't even the guy in coverage on the 4th-and-1.

I just rewatched the play. It was him on coverage.

1) For a creative mastermind, Ryan was very vainilla with his gameplan and at times not very smart. I thought he needed to mix things up, make Brady think if the blitz is coming next or not. I know Brady got rid of the ball quickly but we didn't adjust to that either by pressing some of those little guys outside.

2) It becomes unacceptable when it's a recurrent thing. Many QBs have bad days with turnovers but the key here is that it doesn't become a trend, like with FItz interceptions, where you knew he always had one in him every game. The sample size is small so we can't hit the panic button yet. The passes on this ints were high passes and he should be held accountable for them, though.

3) Someone asked yesterday if TT stands for Trentative Two, which was funny but it wasn't as much fun seeing TT hesitate and not know what to do with the football at times. We shall see if this continues when other teams dare him to beat them with his arm.

4) "The starting QB will also be defined by how well he puts the offense in good situations with run and pass checks." This was Roman in one interview during TC and the QB battle. I have to assume TT has the liberty to call audibles but maybe because of his inexperience Roman and Rex have a short leash for the meantime.

3) he's not tentative with throws over the middle, not in the sense of being overly cautious. Intuitively he knows its a weakness

3) he's not tentative with throws over the middle, not in the sense of being overly cautious. Intuitively he knows its a weakness

I agree and was the same problem Flutie had when he was the QB and had to face a BB led defense. I know it's something he will never get better at (getting taller) but at times yesterday he did some exra patting of the ball that we didn't see in previous games of him.

Good post. I generally agree. His three picks all sailed well high of the target.

Having said that, the Bills will score more points with him in there than in the past. And also, it's worth noting that he has completed 76 percent of his passes and is averaging 8.9 ypa. Even yesterday, he averaged over 8 ypa. That's really good.

Good post. I generally agree. His three picks all sailed well high of the target.

Having said that, the Bills will score more points with him in there than in the past. And also, it's worth noting that he has completed 76 percent of his passes and is averaging 8.9 ypa. Even yesterday, he averaged over 8 ypa. That's really good.

It is good - but a lot of that was via YAC.

I know, but a lot of that stuff averages out. He also threw a deep pass to Harvin that probably would have been caught if not for the interference. He doesn't get any credit for that one.

actually, is this right? I can't really remember any big YAC plays in either of the first two games. None of the bigger receptions by Watkins, Woods, Harvin, or Clay are YAC plays.

Anyway, his qb rating right now is 103.9.

Edited by dave mcbride

I know, but a lot of that stuff averages out. He also threw a deep pass to Harvin that probably would have been caught if not for the interference. He doesn't get any credit for that one.

actually, is this right? I can't really remember any big YAC plays in either of the first two games. None of the bigger receptions by Watkins, Woods, Harvin, or Clay are YAC plays.

Anyway, his qb rating right now is 103.9.

There is a site (I don't recall which one) that tracks the average yard distance of QBs' passes - I'll look for it. It seemed to me that the vast majority of TT's throws were of the 8 yard variety.

There is a site (I don't recall which one) that tracks the average yard distance of QBs' passes - I'll look for it. It seemed to me that the vast majority of TT's throws were of the 8 yard variety.

That may be true, but his stats haven't been padded by plays like screens or dump offs that turn into a 77-yard TDs. All of his TD throws have basically been to the end zone.

Both lines did not show up for that game, and I never saw anybody jam Gronk or Edelman at the line to throw them off. As much as I hate him, Brady is the best ever. That game was surgical.

Yes - different point. I'm saying the YPA numbers are a bit misleading. He needs to push the ball downfield more.

With our offensive line sucking like they do, he has no chance. Need more designed rollouts.

Bill NYC, Excellent post. I'll keep it short. Brady, Gronk and BB. Three future HOF inductees who will earn their status with their play on the field, not with their mouths. Brady is 23-3 against us. Over the last 30 games the Pats have won 27. Talent usually prevails over a lack of talent almost all the time, especially when led with the best HC in the game.

The lack of discipline by the Bills was apparent. Aaron Williams lost his composure to the extent that he had to be restrained by a number of players and staff before he regained control of his emotions. The referees called a bad game and lacked judgment. There was a number of phantum calls (ex. offensive pass interference on Watkins and a TE who was on the line called for being off the line). The erratic calls and over-officiating chopped up the game so much that it was difficult to watch.

Rex Ryan is a brash trash talking braggart flamboyant HC who has a colorful act on the sidelines while BB is a tight-lipped non-talking HC who is in control on the sidelines. Which HC do you think is more likely to set the example for mature behavior and instill discipline in the highly charged atmosphere of a game? Rex plays to the camera while BB plays to the game.

As you noted Glenn has been a disaster. I don't know if he is out of shape but in the first two games he was very slow and sluggish. Henderson is also struggling. Our OL play has been horrible.

The positives I took out of this game is that I am very encouraged with the play of Tyrod. He played well considering that he was constantly under seige. Could you have imagined if the immobile Cassel was the starting qb in this game? I was also encouraged by the play of McCoy. He seemed to play with a lot of energy and quickness despite the fact there wasn't much space for him to maneuver. I also liked the fact that Watkins was involved with the offense.

Bill, you may be irritated by the feisty play of Edelmann but I am not. He is a gamer and a producer. :thumbsup:

From your comments, I saw this game pretty much like you did. You mention "Talent over lack of talent", and the thing that I find disheartening is that I would bet that Belichick would swap defensive personnel straight up.

I'll add one other insight - our defenders were going for the strip rather than the tackle on almost every occasion. While I like the aggressiveness, please don't do this unless you have a clear shot at the ball. There were too many occasions where there was no clear play at the ball and yet you saw them trying to pop the ball loose and miss the tackle.

24 hours later and I'm still pissed at the defensive game plan. Rex, please, put your players in a position to succeed. Don't force them into a system where they are destined to underperform.

Too much is being made of the interceptions. The one's at the end of each half were pretty much desperate situations. The clock management at the end of the first half, put Tyrod in a bad spot, and at the end of the game, while I wasn't thrilled with his decision, he was facing 7 DB's with no time outs, he had to force throws. I'm more concerned with some of the things that happened in the first 28 minutes of each half.

Too much is being made of the interceptions. The one's at the end of each half were pretty much desperate situations. The clock management at the end of the first half, put Tyrod in a bad spot, and at the end of the game, while I wasn't thrilled with his decision, he was facing 7 DB's with no time outs, he had to force throws. I'm more concerned with some of the things that happened in the first 28 minutes of each half.

Too little is being made of the fumbles and dropped snaps... TT is dangerous in the pocket right now.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. The Patriots first interception put them on the Bills 30 yardline, where they calmly took 5 plays to score a touchdown. That, all by itself has the potential to be a 10 or 14 point swing. I've said it a million times that the turnover battle is the single most statistically significant factor in predicting the outcome of a game. -1 in turnovers and a team wins only about 10% of the time. -2 and it's less than 4%. All by himself, Tyrod put them at -1 yesterday.

Actually the D from the first Pats game last season(under Schwartz) was pretty similar to yesterday's performance.

Brady 27-37-361-4-0, 2 sacks for 15

3rd down percentage was actually a lot better with the Rex D against Pats.

(Note: I am in no way defending the bad play of Rex's D this week....merely pointing out that the Schwartz D was comparable.)

Ok Dibs, if you've researched it, and it looks like you did, I can accept that. To add a little something to this topic, after I posted this, I read Bacari Rambo's take on Brady's quick delivery on the Bills website. He was there on the field, I was watching on TV. Obviously his perception was way more accurate than mine.

Nevertheless, Go Bills against the Fish!

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. The Patriots first interception put them on the Bills 30 yardline, where they calmly took 5 plays to score a touchdown. That, all by itself has the potential to be a 10 or 14 point swing. I've said it a million times that the turnover battle is the single most statistically significant factor in predicting the outcome of a game. -1 in turnovers and a team wins only about 10% of the time. -2 and it's less than 4%. All by himself, Tyrod put them at -1 yesterday.

And slow pace at which he makes a decision. He is one read and either check down or take off at this point.

The Patriots caught on which lead to a lot of the sacks yesterday. I'm not calling for Cassel or Manuel, but it's concerning going forward, but then again I expected our defense to be able to dominant the opposing teams offenses and we could live with that type of play from Tyrod for a while as he progresses, but after yesterday's performance in not sure how dominant our defense will be.

The speed of decisions is my main concern. I think he will improve that though.

From your comments, I saw this game pretty much like you did. You mention "Talent over lack of talent", and the thing that I find disheartening is that I would bet that Belichick would swap defensive personnel straight up.

Our collective talent level on defense (in my opinion and yours) is better. However, there is no better defensive mind in the game than BB. I was listening to a radio sports show and the analyst brought up the issue that there is no better HC/DC who game plans better for individual games.

Our OL is porous and ineffectual in both run blocking and pass blocking. For the most part he took advantage of our weakness with minimal defensive stunts. There were few stunts coming from the players behind the DL. There was an efficiency with less defensive player movement to their defense in their game plan than with our more varied defensive schemes.

It's not unreasonable to say that our defensive backfield is staffed with more talented defenders. They had a major turnover in their backfield this offseason. They certainly don't have a CB as good as Gilmore. You can't be a dope and play for the Pats. Their players, mostly falling within the category of solid, play their roles and stay within their roles. They are foundamentally sound. Their coaching staff would not tolerate out of control behavior on the field as exhibited by Aaron Williams who went ballistic over a call.

The Pats certainly have a talented team. But the hallmark for that team is intelligence. While our HC was huffing and puffing and putting on a demonstration that lacked maturity their HC was humorlessly preparing to beat the next team in line.

Edited by JohnC

There is no way to pin this loss on Gilmore.

The defensive plan was an abject failure. I'm surprised that they didn't have Mario run out and cover Edelman. And I have no idea what the story is with Glenn.

Absolutely. Gilmore is a VERY good corner man who I think, is coming into his own.

When I got to your part about maybe putting Mario on Edelman, I instantly thought, "why not just jam their TE's & receivers inside the 5 yds of the LOS?" This takes them out of the timing of their routes, we got the guys up front to stuff their runs, as well as get to Brady as the quick timing of their pass game is off.

Brady I've noticed over the last decade gets flustered when he feels the pocket closing in on him & his throws are off many (not all) the time. I don't know, maybe I'm being naïve here. But I think we have the defensive talent to do a lot of different things.

Our collective talent level on defense (in my opinion and yours) is better. However, there is no better defensive mind in the game than BB. I was listening to a radio sports show and the analyst brought up the issue that there is no better HC/DC who game plans better for individual games.

Our OL is porous and ineffectual in both run blocking and pass blocking. For the most part he took advantage of our weakness with minimal defensive stunts. There were few stunts coming from the players behind the DL. There was an efficiency with less defensive player movement to their defense in their game plan than with our more varied defensive schemes.

It's not unreasonable to say that our defensive backfield is staffed with more talented defenders. They had a major turnover in their backfield this offseason. They certainly don't have a CB as good as Gilmore. You can't be a dope and play for the Pats. Their players, mostly falling within the category of solid, play their roles and stay within their roles. They are foundamentally sound. Their coaching staff would not tolerate out of control behavior on the field as exhibited by Aaron Williams who went ballistic over a call.

The Pats certainly have a talented team. But the hallmark for that team is intelligence. While our HC was huffing and puffing and putting on a demonstration that lacked maturity their HC was humorlessly preparing to beat the next team in line.

The thing about Ryan's boasting is that I don't think it had any effect on the way the Patriots played, I don't think it made them want to win any more than they would normally. It didn't compel them to be more focused. The team it effects is his own. The Head Coach performing for the media/fans during the week, sends a message to the team that showing bravado has some kind of relevance...it doesn't. Keep your head in the game, not on impressing the media/fans.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Absolutely. Gilmore is a VERY good corner man who I think, is coming into his own.

When I got to your part about maybe putting Mario on Edelman, I instantly thought, "why not just jam their TE's & receivers inside the 5 yds of the LOS?" This takes them out of the timing of their routes, we got the guys up front to stuff their runs, as well as get to Brady as the quick timing of their pass game is off.

Brady I've noticed over the last decade gets flustered when he feels the pocket closing in on him & his throws are off many (not all) the time. I don't know, maybe I'm being naïve here. But I think we have the defensive talent to do a lot of different things.

There's no question Brady get rattled when he gets hit. The only teams he struggles against are the teams who hit him. And the only teams I've seen do that are the Giants in two Super Bowls, the Ravens several times and the Jets a few times 5 years ago.

So unless the Bills plan on getting a HOF QB who can put up more points than Brady (like Manning has done this a few times), they better figure out before the rematch how to hit him, early and often.

What play are you talking about, I saw Harvin aligator arm an easy catch when he heard footsteps. I dont remember an PI though

There's no question Brady get rattled when he gets hit. The only teams he struggles against are the teams who hit him. And the only teams I've seen do that are the Giants in two Super Bowls, the Ravens several times and the Jets a few times 5 years ago.

So unless the Bills plan on getting a HOF QB who can put up more points than Brady (like Manning has done this a few times), they better figure out before the rematch how to hit him, early,often, AND LATE.

Fixed it for you!

What play are you talking about, I saw Harvin aligator arm an easy catch when he heard footsteps. I dont remember an PI though

Right before the second Bills' TD in the second quarter - there was a PI call at the NE 6 yard line (single coverage on Harvin, who ran a deep route on the left side). Taylor hit Clay for a short td pass 1-2 plays later.

So unless the Bills plan on getting a HOF QB who can put up more points than Brady (like Manning has done this a few times), they better figure out before the rematch how to hit him, early and often.

Agree with you on both paragraphs. With the second paragraph, yup, that's what the Pats do. They know Brady is the best in the business, so they game-plan their offense around him & his ability to hit the home run pass from anywhere on the field, thus, forcing opponent's offense to play catch-up w/ them. A very difficult job.

do.