Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt Cassel is the Bills backup QB. He's a perfectly good backup QB. In fact, I would even go so far as to say that he is a prototypical backup QB. Are the Packers counting on Scott Tolzien to take them to the promised land this season?

But you just said in numerous posts that you thought he sucks.

Please stick with one story line. This flip flopping is not helping your cause.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

If you look at him on you tube, EJ was a very good runner in college. In regular season games he looked (imo) clumsy and lumbering, and it's hard to understand why.

I agree. I don't think that he lacks the speed or quickness to be a decent runner - but he has no feel for it. He always looks awkward and unsure of himself. I don't think he's got the brain feel for running in space.

Although, as you say, he looked somewhat better at Florida State (still not great in my opinion), so who knows?

EJ seems better with his demotion than TBD

I think KTD nailed it with his take. EJ will likely be the guy to take over #1 if TT gets hurt or plays badly a few games in a row. Cassel will be backup for emergency in game play. Hopefully it's not just talk that all 3 help each other to get better.

Nope, never said that.

ummm in a way you did. Clarification - the way you presented it you did.

And yeah keep perpetuating this myth that I hate EJ and love Cassel. I have said that I thought EJ did enough to earn the #2 job but I would've kept Cassel as a #3, ideally at a reduced salary. In fact, thinking EJ had earned the #2 spot is the first thing I've been wrong about in quite some time.

Not really true. He wasn't unless he was dirt cheap. And they were very willing for him to be not on the team. I would gauge they figured it was a less than 50-50 chance. They may even have had to promise him to be #2 before he agreed.

There's a reason I referred to the coaches in my post.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Matt-Cassel-Highlights/e39e6dc1-775c-41d6-9629-9dee28b8acab

Look at 1:27 of this video.

Actually watch the whole video and tell me when EJ has ever made those throws? Or run like that. Bombs to wide open players against third stringers is great. But how's about in regular season.

Amazing he went 9-17 the past 4 years.

But you just said in numerous posts that you thought he sucks.

Please stick with one story line. This flip flopping is not helping your cause.

I've never flip flopped once, nor do I have a cause.

I have maintained the following things all along:

1.Going into this offseason, I thought it was less than likely that EJ developed into a franchise QB.

2. I think yes, throughout all of last offseason (which everyone forgot about last year but loves to talk about his preseason this year) and his last two games, he COMPLETELY sucked. That does not mean I necessarily wrote him off, I just disagreed with the idea presented by many, most notably OC in Buffalo, that I wasn't allowed to have an opinion on him yet.

3. I initially dismissed the coaching excuse but after seeing his improvement this preseason, I am inclined to think I may have been wrong about that. I think the previous regime may have hindered his development and I think the current one may help it.

4. He had two fair to good but much overhyped preseason games, followed by an amazing preseason game.

5. This move does not shock me. All of the "lamestream" media types who told us for weeks that EJ was a distant third in camp had no reason to lie to us. There was no anti-EJ agenda. There was an open competition between three guys. All of the EJ guys said, "hey if he can't beat out 'Meh' Cassel then the writing is on the wall." He finished third. That's it.

6. I still find it less than likely that EJ Manuel develops into a franchise QB in this league. How about you?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Amazing he went 9-17 the past 4 years.

With the starting RB suspended. With pretty much a bad team around him. But the QB is the only one responsible?

I am not saying Cassel is a great or even good QB. I am saying he is better than EJ. I for one am so glad that TT is our starter,

Edited by VABills

With the starting RB suspended. With pretty much a bad team around him. But the QB is the only one responsible?

I am not saying Cassel is a great or even good QB. I am saying he is better than EJ. I for one am so glad that TT is our starter,

People who cite QB's W-L records as a be-all-end-all in a debate about how good a QB is are not worth debating with.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

a) I've never flip flopped once, nor do I have a cause.

6. I still find it less than likely that EJ Manuel develops into a franchise QB in this league. How about you?

a) sure OK I believe you 1000%

6) Until proven otherwise, yes, I think EJ can be a starter in the league. Meaning watching him play in another 10 to 16 live games as the starter.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

People who cite QB's W-L records as a be-all-end-all in a debate about how good a QB is are not worth debating with.

LOL! Oh, the irony!

I'll play the game. In the following quote: What was going to follow the "....."?

"We brought Matt Cassel back,” Ryan said in an unscheduled meeting with reporters. “We said all along we like our three quarterbacks which is obvious. For your depth chart purposes Matt will be two, EJ [Manuel] will be three, but that means…. As I have said from day one we like all three of the guys and we never want to lose anybody obviously. So that is why we made the decision we did."

The "your depth chart" implies the one released to the media. The "but" implies that there is more to the depth chart than appearances. What that is, I do not know. But I will speculate for the fun of it. The Bills like to have Cassel with the ones in practices, running plays that are in the game plan. They think there is something of benefit to Tyrod to have Matt Cassel there with him during practices and reviewing the tape.

EJ will run the scout team because it's a better look for the D to defend a QB that can challenge them more and good for EJ because it gives him more reps than what the typical #2 gets. If they were actually going to miss/replace Tyrod for any significant amount of time, I don't know what the hell happens then. But if the answer to that is EJ, then what you have is an atypical #2/#3 situation which seems to be what Rex was starting to say and then didn't finish. #2 and #3 for the purposes of your (the press release roster) roster, but the Bills' situation is not what it seems. Somehow.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

There's a reason I referred to the coaches in my post.

I read and understood that. My point is that Whaley is sitting with Rex and Roman discussing the QBs and he says I'm considering releasing Matt and going with just EJ so we can try to lock up Dareus and Bradham. We have about a 50/50 chance of getting Matt back after he clears waivers.

Rex and Roman, to me, have one of three basic responses:

1] I'm cool with that overall, EJ can handle the #2 duties.

2] I'd prefer to keep Matt but I think EJ can handle it and if it came down to trying to improve our roster I won't fight you on it.

3] I really think this is risky. We need the vet here if TT goes down and the difference between Matt and EJ is measurable.

I would bet anything it was either one or two for both Rex and Roman and not three, otherwise Whaley would have acqueisced and said okay, if you feel strongly we won't risk losing him.

I read and understood that. My point is that Whaley is sitting with Rex and Roman discussing the QBs and he says I'm considering releasing Matt and going with just EJ so we can try to lock up Dareus and Bradham. We have about a 50/50 chance of getting Matt back after he clears waivers.

2] I'd prefer to keep Matt but I think EJ can handle it and if it came down to trying to improve our roster I won't fight you on it.

3] I really think this is risky. We need the vet here if TT goes down and the difference between Matt and EJ is measurable.

I would bet anything it was either one or two for both Rex and Roman and not three, otherwise Whaley would have acqueisced and said okay, if you feel strongly we won't risk losing him.

Or Whaley went rogue again. Rex and coaches threatened him and they signed Cassel back. Whaley turns out to look good in this saving the money, and coaches got the guy they wanted back.

a) sure OK I believe you 1000%

6) Until proven otherwise, yes, I think EJ can be a starter in the league. Meaning watching him play in another 10 to 16 live games as the starter.

a) tell me one thing I've ever said to contradict myself.

6) OK I think he CAN be a starter in this league too. I think there's a less than 50% chance that he develops into a franchise QB- like a multiple consecutive year reliable starter for a team. Do you still think there's a better than 50% chance?

LOL! Oh, the irony!

What is ironic about me saying that W-L record is not always the most pertinent way to gauge a QB's performance?

I don't have time to page through this entire thread but there's gotta be some gems in here, right? Are there any pages that anyone would care to recommend I check out? So the EJ guys went from being upset about him not winning the starting job, even though it was clear to many that he deserved to have won it, to getting a consolation prize in the Bills seemingly declaring that Manuel was good enough to be the lone #2 by cutting every EJ guys' arch nemesis and then throwing an internet parade by mocking him to no end, to re-signing said arch nemesis only to demote EJ to #3. The roller coaster of emotions must be unbearable for some of you.

Also Ryan L Billz, I told you he would sign with someone within a week as a clear cut #2 and you insisted he would end up in the arena league. So yeah.

If Cassel enters a game we are screwed. Period.

Enjoy the fluttering interceptions. I've seen this show before. Glad 3% of the population has forgotten about his body of work the last half decade and think he brings some sort of hope.

Stay healthy TT. We need ya bud.

I'll play the game. In the following quote: What was going to follow the "....."?

"We brought Matt Cassel back,” Ryan said in an unscheduled meeting with reporters. “We said all along we like our three quarterbacks which is obvious. For your depth chart purposes Matt will be two, EJ [Manuel] will be three, but that means…. As I have said from day one we like all three of the guys and we never want to lose anybody obviously. So that is why we made the decision we did."

The "your depth chart" implies the one released to the media. The "but" implies that there is more to the depth chart than appearances. What that is, I do not know. But I will speculate for the fun of it. The Bills like to have Cassel with the ones in practices, running plays that are in the game plan. They think there is something of benefit to Tyrod to have Matt Cassel there with him during practices and reviewing the tape.

EJ will run the scout team because it's a better look for the D to defend a QB that can challenge them more and good for EJ because it gives him more reps that what the typical #2 gets. If they were actually going to miss/replace Tyrod for any significant amount of time, I don't know what the hell happens then. But if the answer to that is EJ, then what you have is an atypical #2/#3 situation which seems to be what Rex was starting to say and then didn't finish. #2 and #3 for the purposes of your (the press release roster) roster, but the Bills' situation is not what it seems. Somehow.

It could mean that if TT falters or gets injured, EJ will get the start and Cassel will be the backup. That's how they were going to roll (minus Cassel) until he took the massive pay cut to return.

Cutting Cassel was a huge risk. You don't go from thinking you're making $4M to accepting a vet minimum salary easily and most guys would be pissed and go to another team for the same money.

FWIW, I think that we have three QBs that exceeded our expectations, who are professional, and get along very well. I think that it is great that Tyrod (or whoever is playing) will get the support of the other two cannot be overstated and is great for the team.

Going against the prevailing sentiment here, neither am I.

Not sure how E.J being the number three helps his development. Will running the scout team be enough to keep him on the upward path he took this year? That's a major question for me right now.

I'd much rather have E.J. suited up on game day and absorbing the live action, even if he's holding a clipboard. Sitting in the pressbox, removed from his teammates is not development, IMO...

It worked for Tyrod Taylor

Yes EJ 's 6-8 record proves he'll never be a starting QB in the NFL.

Once again I GIVE UP. good day.

Your post makes zero sense. Zero. I didn't say anything about EJ Manuel. I said that W-L record is an overrated way to judge a QB's performance. I think Tyrod Taylor is going to have a better record this season than Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers and Eli Manning. That doesn't mean I think he's a better QB. I have no idea what you're talking about with respect to EJ.