EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

One of my top 5 hilarities continues to be: Todd McShay saying EJ has "slow eyes", not a week after ESPN Sports Science measured EJ's eyes, and found he had the fastest eyes they've ever recorded.

So.... :lol: It's the "eye test" vs. the eye test.

:lol:

Yeah that slow eyes thing is hysterical.

We agree on something! :beer:

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% right. We are shopping EJ according to my inside guy, TT gettin the Indy start.

I like EJ a lot, hope he lights it up. Either way thats good for us and good for him.

If Rex is mismanaging his QB personnel by wasting time showcasing a player as a starter in the 3rd pre-season game this team is in big trouble.

I don't think this team is in big trouble...

Name calling doesn't buttress your argument or POV in any way. But have at it.

Horsecrap. Namecalling, when you know you are right, and the other guy is wrong...is the cherry on top. But, as we've seen in repsonses to my threads/posts in the last 72 hours: namecalling more often has to do with remaining butthurt over a thread from 3-10 years ago, that ended with me living rent free in some poster's head ever since.

There's really a case to be made for all 3 QB's and I think the coaches are going back and forth with who they want as the starter.

Which, as anyone who as ever had real hire/fire responsibility knows, is the very best situation. Agonizing...over who to promote, or fire, is the sign that you are doing a great job at recruiting, that your project really F'ing matters...to everybody involved, and even those who aren't, and that your skills as a manager are being truly tested.

Any unmitigated moron can hire safe a candidate == "Yes, sir. Yes, sir. 3 bags full". The pro hires the person who presents a risk: can that person run with you, and more importantly, can you run with that person?

Oh man they won't let it go down here in So Fla, it's hysterical. They are trying to say he's a top 5 QB.

Hilarious. I did a post with fancy pics a few years ago...that clearly shows Tannehill's ceiling is, at best, Trent Edwards/Chad Pennigton. 5 damn stills and the man never moved his head off of his primary receiver. He got sacked, even with 5 seconds and 5 options...by a DT that had to beat 3 guys to finally get to him.

Dude: if there's any bias in sports, it's that Miami has finally replaced Marino...before Buffalo has replaced Kelly. Miami has "replaced Marino" 4 damn times. It's like I always say: Miami is a huge TV market, and telling a lot of people what they want to hear == big $$$$$.

I'll be there for game 3. Everybody on this board should seriously consider it. This is approaching the Detroit "home game" from last year status. That was fun. I met a childhood hero in Chris Chelios, and we won. This? This will be a riot.

The Bills Backers of Orlando, Tampa and Miami have put out immensely, and have nothing short of a rage-fest planned. The Miami ticket people are so scared after last year, they've given us a 35% discount....to sit in the same sections, plural(cause we have huge numbers), so that they don't have to deal with their fans getting smoked throughout the stadium. If you're already going? You shall know me by my antics.

Bryan Cox hates Bills fans now more than ever.

Just heard on the John Murphy Show that this quote from a speech by Teddy Roosevelt hangs in EJ's locker: http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/trsorbonnespeech.html

I have carried this quote with me everywhere I've been, low crawling through mud and pig guts, in airports behind idiots who bring 10 plastic bags to security, into meetings with people that wanted me dead, never mind fired, even into New Jersey. It's on the same piece of worn-out paper that I've had since lacrosse games in high school. It smells like lacrosse gloves, desperation...and "strange" :lol:. This quote represents the true meaning of "progressive", from the guy who created the concept, and would be pissed as hell to find out how badly it's been bastardized today.

So we're up to starting him to trick another team into thinking he'd be good while hoping he won't?

Like I said: this board needs an irony/illogical sound effect.

Chris Trapasso ‏@ChrisTrapasso

Def other #Bills media guys I respect who had different opinions than me on QBs this summer. Some had similar thoughts. All good either way.

Chris Trapasso ‏@ChrisTrapasso

I'm certainly still sticking to my opinion...it just doesn't bother me if others have different opinions than I do

Um, again, in deference to the bullet-point guy, here you go:

• Empirical Evidence of Groupthink

When you have to go out of your way to not only disclaim your own opinion, but, to disclaim the "different opinions" of others?

That's Groupthink. Case closed.

Yeah that slow eyes thing is hysterical.

We agree on something! :beer:

Oh Kelly, we agree on so much more than you know.

The good news: I have all the patience in the world, unlimited bandwidth, and as much disk/ram as SDS cares to provide.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

So I was out last night... woke up an hour ago a little weary and hungover and flicked on my Bills app to read EJ has been named the starter for Saturday. I am not surprised. I have been saying all week that something changed last week in the 4th Quarter of that Cleveland game. I know Rex wants to play this as "hey this is the rotation we need to be fair.." of course he does. But when EJ Manuel took the field for that final drive last week this Quarterback competition was a two horsed race between Tyrod Taylor and Matt Cassel - I honestly believe that. Though I do agree that the Buffalo media has suffered a major case of groupthink this summer - OC couldn't be more right about that.

And then something happened. This kid who has been written off enough times in the last 3 weeks to finish most people let alone the last 2 years picked himself up from a quarter and a half of being hung out to dry by his line and picked himself off the canvas again. He got the team down onto the goaline... and then a succession of penalties and busted plays backed them up to a 4th and goal from the 14, almost like the fates wanted to continue to challenge EJ Manuel to fight. But he did fight and he threw a perfect pass and he is still fighting. The way Rex Ryan spoke after the game convinced me something had changed. It wasn't so much the words it was his tone of voice and his body language. There was an incredulity... it was like "man you just can't keep this kid down".

EJ won this start on that drive. He won this start because he just won't quit. He won Rex Ryan's respect. I still think he is the third most likely starter for opening day at this stage but he is closer that he has been at any stage this summer.

In 1991 when Pakistan after 2 pool games faced elimination from their own cricket world cup their captain Imran Khan implored his team they must "fight like a wounded tiger" and they did all the way to a victory over England in the final. EJ Manuel fought like a wounded tiger last week. He may still be a longshot - but he has a shot and he has it because there is just no quit in him.

Edited by GunnerBill

I know I am in the minority here, but this has been one of the most enjoyable threads here in years.

Many of you are typing a good game.

I've wanted to quote some posts, but there has just been too many good ones to quote while still maintaining some reasonable order.

Well done, TSW, and keep it up.

Oh, and just in case anyone forgets who we all are during this 34 page back and forth: GO BILLS!

Plays like this contributed to why Manuel is starting on Saturday: http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/0ap3000000513884/EJ-Manuel-throws-a-strike-to-Chris-Gragg

EJ is pressured from the right, stays composed by stepping up in the pocket with his eyes downfield, and delivers a strike to Gragg that hits him in stride to allow for YAC. That play represents the progress that many have been looking for and is an example of what the coaches have seen in the 1st two preseason games that earned him the opportunity on Saturday. Film Don't Lie!

Good! I do not see why so many are having convulsions over this. It's a pre-season game! Finally we will see EJ with the 1st string in front of a first string defense and see what, if anything, he has learned. If he does well, then we have a good old fashion QB controversy. If he does not do well, all the EJ detractors can smile and say "we told you!" and the coaches will have to choose between the conservative choice in Cassel or the X-factor in Taylor. EJ seems like a good kid with some talent. We spend a 1st round on him, I am at the very least curious after Cleveland. No harm in letting him have a quarter.

It was apparent to me that Doug and co. we're out coached at halftime. It seemed all too often that we would be hanging in a game and opponent half time adjustments put the nail in our coffin.

Doug just stuck to the pre game plan. genius, that man. If only spiller would execute!!!!

100% right. We are shopping EJ according to my inside guy, TT gettin the Indy start.

I like EJ a lot, hope he lights it up. Either way thats good for us and good for him.

Everyone has an inside guy. I'm jealous. (not really)

curious is your inside guy one of those who is certain EJ is the worst of the 3?

I don't get why the Bills would trade EJ. If he isn't good enough to be a back up, why would anyone give up anything for him? If he is, why would they let him go for less than ransom?

If EJ is traded we almost certainly will need to suit up someone worse during the season, as the primary back up, at least.

IMHO the people who want EJ to be the worst of the crop would love nothign better than to he him let go / traded.

There has been a lets get rid of EJ campaign. Then there was the guy with insider info last March that said EJ would be cut.

And then something happened. This kid who has been written off enough times in the last 3 weeks to finish most people let alone the last 2 years picked himself up from a quarter and a half of being hung out to dry by his line and picked himself off the canvas again. He got the team down onto the goaline... and then a succession of penalties and busted plays backed them up to a 4th and goal from the 14, almost like the fates wanted to continue to challenge EJ Manuel to fight. But he did fight and he threw a perfect pass and he is still fighting. The way Rex Ryan spoke after the game convinced me something had changed. It wasn't so much the words it was his tone of voice and his body language. There was an incredulity... it was like "man you just can't keep this kid down".

Lets think on this .... How many times do you hear 4th and 14 and expect a team to get a TD? (as lucky to be 3rd place guy) :devil:

Maybe I am misremembering this but don't the announcers say "there aren't many plays to call on 4th and 14?" well maybe its 4th and 20. But I think people will get my point.

Does everyone agree that this means EJ still has at least some chance to win the job? I can't ever remember a QB competition like this in the NFL: Three guys, each with a legit shot, battling throughout camp with little obvious separation, right down to the wire. Usually the HC just pays lip service to the idea that there will be an "open competition" at QB, but the starter was more or less pre-ordained from the start. And here, it's not a case of no one playing very well; they have all to some degree exceeded expectations. Pretty cool, and it bodes well for this team.

Edited by mannc

Forgive me but I think this whole thing has been kind of blown out of proportion, especially by the local media that is freaking out. Rex specifically said he doesn't put the credence on this game that some generally do (the all-important "dress rehearsal"). He also said that all 3 will play with the ones, and that now no one can say he didn't give everyone a fair chance. Basically, someone has to go first but all three are getting the same reps tomorrow. He could have put EJ second or third for all intents and purposes, it does not matter. Might as well make it EJ first so they each got a game which is what he said in the beginning, and it doesn't hurt to appear externally that there are three possibilities for week one instead of two. Regardless of how good the QBs are, when you have QBs with three different styles it isn't easy for the Colts to prepare 3 different game plans.

The biggest negative of giving him the start is the media crying that he's "taking time away from getting the starter ready." In what way? None of the starting RBs or WRs are even playing! Clay might not even play. So the starter misses the 2 series EJ got with the starting OL and doomed? Makes no sense to me that that is a criticism. And the worry that they should have a guy identified by now - Rex said they will name the QB internally after the game tomorrow. That gives them two full weeks to move forward as a defined unit. Again there is no benefit to announcing it externally though, IMO.

Finally - if for some reason TT and/or Cassel fall on their face in the regular season and Rex didn't at least appear to give EJ a fair chance to win the job, there would be people criticizing him in hindsight for that. This way he really has that covered. I think the staff has a leader in the clubhouse for sure, I think it is TT, and they are playing it out the way they think will give them the best advantage from all angles.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Why would Rex give a crap, he doesn't give a crap what anyone says about anything else.

We are more like... in his back pocket. We love Rex i dont. Think he would get heat. And i dont think he has gotten heat. People want to see EJ but if Rex were to bam a QB last week after the game. No one would even sneeze. He had full support of the fan base.

I think Tyrod has already earned this job and we should be focusing on preparing him to start the season. More reps as the starter the better.

I don't think this is a good way to handle the QB competition.

Are you basing that on practice? All 3 have looked good in games. Cassel could still potentially win it.Je didn't even play on Thursday. Its not clear.it is in fact everything but in my eyes

Forgive me but I think this whole thing has been kind of blown out of proportion, especially by the local media that is freaking out. Rex specifically said he doesn't put the credence on this game that some generally do (the all-important "dress rehearsal"). He also said that all 3 will play with the ones, and that now no one can say he didn't give everyone a fair chance. Basically, someone has to go first but all three are getting the same reps tomorrow. He could have put EJ second or third for all intents and purposes, it does not matter. Might as well make it EJ first so they each got a game which is what he said in the beginning, and it doesn't hurt to appear externally that there are three possibilities for week one instead of two. Regardless of how good the QBs are, when you have QBs with three different styles it isn't easy for the Colts to prepare 3 different game plans.

The biggest negative of giving him the start is the media crying that he's "taking time away from getting the starter ready." In what way? None of the starting RBs or WRs are even playing! Clay might not even play. So the starter misses the 2 series EJ got with the starting OL and doomed? Makes no sense to me that that is a criticism. And the worry that they should have a guy identified by now - Rex said they will name the QB internally after the game tomorrow. That gives them two full weeks to move forward as a defined unit. Again there is no benefit to announcing it externally though, IMO.

Finally - if for some reason TT and/or Cassel fall on their face in the regular season and Rex didn't at least appear to give EJ a fair chance to win the job, there would be people criticizing him in hindsight for that. This way he really has that covered. I think the staff has a leader in the clubhouse for sure, I think it is TT, and they are playing it out the way they think will give them the best advantage from all angles.

Yep. Media is just getting confused because they're trying to infuse a meaning that they want into a story it doesn't fit with.

So I was out last night... woke up an hour ago a little weary and hungover and flicked on my Bills app to read EJ has been named the starter for Saturday. I am not surprised. I have been saying all week that something changed last week in the 4th Quarter of that Cleveland game. I know Rex wants to play this as "hey this is the rotation we need to be fair.." of course he does. But when EJ Manuel took the field for that final drive last week this Quarterback competition was a two horsed race between Tyrod Taylor and Matt Cassel - I honestly believe that. Though I do agree that the Buffalo media has suffered a major case of groupthink this summer - OC couldn't be more right about that.

EJ won this start on that drive. He won this start because he just won't quit. He won Rex Ryan's respect. I still think he is the third most likely starter for opening day at this stage but he is closer that he has been at any stage this summer.

In 1991 when Pakistan after 2 pool games faced elimination from their own cricket world cup their captain Imran Khan implored his team they must "fight like a wounded tiger" and they did all the way to a victory over England in the final. EJ Manuel fought like a wounded tiger last week. He may still be a longshot - but he has a shot and he has it because there is just no quit in him.

Well said. I had the same reaction. I sensed last game could be a watershed moment for EJ.

One of my top 5 hilarities continues to be: Todd McShay saying EJ has "slow eyes", not a week after ESPN Sports Science measured EJ's eyes, and found he had the fastest eyes they've ever recorded.

So.... :lol: It's the "eye test" vs. the eye test.

:lol:

He did excel at locating 2 foot stationary targets from 15 yards......