EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex knows how to create headlines! 33 pages of discussion. I've thought all along this team might be set up to manage real differently. I think our margin for error is pretty narrow and if we are going to win 10+ games we are going to have to play the hot QB and keep the other team guessing. All our QBs, with the possible exception of Taylor but maybe him too, are pretty inconsistent. If one struggles go to the next guy. Also, it is not hard to imagine some of them match up better against different defenses. Why not be one of the only teams to go QB by committee in NFL history? It's worth a shot. In baseball not all that long ago if you started you finished a game. Now MLB has changed and rarely does that occur. In the NFL you used to ride one featured back every game and now it's often RB by committee. Why not do something trendsetting at the QB position?

Edited by timtebow15

Rex knows how to create headlines! 33 pages of discussion. I've thought all along this team might be set up to manage real differently. I think our margin for error is pretty narrow and if we are going to win 10+ games we are going to have to play the hot QB and keep the other team guessing. All our QBs, with the possible exception of Taylor but maybe him too, are pretty inconsistent. If one struggles go to the next guy. Also, it is not hard to imagine some of them match up better against different defenses. Why not be one of the only teams to go QB by committee in NFL history? It's worth a shot. In baseball not all that long ago if you started you finished a game. Now MLB has changed and rarely does that occur. In the NFL you used to ride one featured back every game and now it's often RB by committee. Why not do something trendsetting at the QB position?

I get all the reasons why it is the way it is, but I agree with you on this one. It could be done. Probably won't be a normal thing to do anytime soon, but a team could do it right now and possibly be better than if they didn't do it.

Let me ask you this- what's the most irrational thing you've ever heard me say on this website? Seriously, I mean it. I mean, cute movie quote and all but am I really some crazy fringe poster that has all these wild and crazy out of leftfield ideas like 'EJ Manuel is less than likely to develop into a franchise QB?'

I don't think that the ideas that you put forward are a problem. I do however think that your insistance that those ideas are definitively correct, and that anybody with an opposing idea is definitively incorrect is one though.

How about showcasing him for a trade? Hmmmm.......maybe!

100% right. We are shopping EJ according to my inside guy, TT gettin the Indy start.

I like EJ a lot, hope he lights it up. Either way thats good for us and good for him.

Edited by Webster Guy

100% right. We are shopping EJ according to my inside guy, TT gettin the Indy start.

I like EJ a lot, hope he lights it up. Either way thats good for us and good for him.

I hope he tosses a couple of TDs so we can get a draft pick......or am I hoping it wrong here? Should I hope he throws TD so he can become a good QB for us or to obtain a draft pick? This decision is killing me.

Edited by Fixxxer

I don't think that the ideas that you put forward are a problem. I do however think that your insistance that those ideas are definitively correct, and that anybody with an opposing idea is definitively incorrect is one though.

I can see how I might come off that way sometimes. That's fair. As far as EJ Manuel goes though, I gave praise to the three posters who actually went on record as saying that he had a better than 50% chance of developing into a franchise QB. Everyone else just keeps calling people like me "haters" but refuses to disagree with me and say that he is more than likely. And by franchise QB, my definition is that he is our clear cut starter week 1 2017. And I acknowledge that there are probably a few Bills fans who are actually anti-EJ at this point (though not nearly as many as some would think). But my God, if this season Cyril Richardson got a chance to start, took a huge step back, sucked and then got benched for the rest of the season and I said, "ya know what guys? My gut is that it's not happening for Cyril Richardson," would I be subject to constant scorn, ridicule and accusations that I'm not really a Bills fan and deep down my main goal is to see Cyril Richardson fail? Think about that for a second.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

25 pages in this thread alone, among the dozens of threads peppering this board and yet, still no resolution.

it would be difficult to imagine the number of bites that have used here in debating quarterbacks since the Flutie-Johnson era. it's a wonder the intrawebs haven't run out of space.

jw

(apologies to all for attempting to hijack what i'm certain is a gripping discussion that's added 2 replies since i began typing this)

Go complain "somewhere else"

I can see how I might come off that way sometimes. That's fair. As far as EJ Manuel goes though, I gave praise to the three posters who actually went on record as saying that he had a better than 50% chance of developing into a franchise QB. Everyone else just keeps calling people like me "haters" but refuses to disagree with me and say that he is more than likely. And by franchise QB, my definition is that he is our clear cut starter week 1 2017. And I acknowledge that there are probably a few Bills fans who are actually anti-EJ at this point (though not nearly as many as some would think). But my God, if this season Cyril Richardson got a chance to start, took a huge step back, sucked and then got benched for the rest of the season and I said, "ya know what guys? My gut is that it's not happening for Cyril Richardson," would I be subject to constant scorn, ridicule and accusations that I'm not really a Bills fan and deep down my main goal is to see Cyril Richardson fail? Think about that for a second.

It's safe to say most QBs that enter the NFL do not have a high chance of being a franchise guy, it's not that difficult to take a stance that QB X will likely not be a franchise guy.

I don't get why the Bills would trade EJ. If he isn't good enough to be a back up, why would anyone give up anything for him? If he is, why would they let him go for less than ransom?

If EJ is traded we almost certainly will need to suit up someone worse during the season, as the primary back up, at least.

It's safe to say most QBs that enter the NFL do not have a high chance of being a franchise guy, it's not that difficult to take a stance that QB X will likely not be a franchise guy.

Ehh I'm not hedging any sort of bet based on odds. I mean, what 2,3,4 QB's get taken in the first round every year and there's only really maybe 15-20 QB's that are in the conversation of franchise QB's? I'm basing my opinion based on what I've seen from him specifically.

Perfect explanation. I wonder if he gets it yet.

What don't I get? That most QB's that get drafted don't end up developing into franchise QB's? Yeah I don't get that, that concept is way above my level of understanding. You'll have to dumb it down for me sir. So you are now hedging your bet and saying, "well if he doesn't turn into a franchise QB, no one can get any credit for predicting as much because the odds are with any QB not developing into a franchise QB?"

I'll ask this again. If EJ plays average or lousy who is going to trade for him, and if he plays well or very well, why on Earth would you trade him?

Just heard on the John Murphy Show that this quote from a speech by Teddy Roosevelt hangs in EJ's locker: http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/trsorbonnespeech.html

I love this. This also aptly illustrates the difference between someone (EJ or anyone else) who actually puts himself (or herself) on the line and tries to actually do something and guys like Sully or other critics or any other keyboard jockey.

I love this. This also aptly illustrates the difference between someone (EJ or anyone else) who actually puts himself (or herself) on the line and tries to actually do something and guys like Sully or other critics or any other keyboard jockey.

Outside of President of the United States, how any jobs are there in the world that you need to have a ridiculous combination of skills that only about 10-15 people in the entire world can do well on a consistent basis.

Actually Todd McShay is one of the exceptions. Most everyone knows Todd McShay's future. He will continue to suck.

One of my top 5 hilarities continues to be: Todd McShay saying EJ has "slow eyes", not a week after ESPN Sports Science measured EJ's eyes, and found he had the fastest eyes they've ever recorded.

So....:lol: It's the "eye test" vs. the eye test.

:lol: