Who's worth the money: Dline or Phillip Rivers

http://www.wgr550.com/Should-Buffalo-be-following-the-Philip-Rivers-saga/21772695

If available, would you rather the Bills sign Rivers by either letting Dareus walk or cutting Mario?

Or would you rather go after a QB in the draft and keep the Dline in tact?

As much as I love our Dline, I think that a good QB with a great Dline(minus either mario or dareus), wins more games than our current QB and Dline.

Curious to hear what you guys have to say.

I think it's a false analogy.

I think the decision wouldn't be Rivers vs. the DL, but rather Rivers vs. a group of the following:

Bradham

McKelvin

Glenn

A. Williams

E. Wood

My response is: yes, I'd rather have Rivers. Spend all 7 draft picks next year on the OL if you have to, but get yourself a QB.

I think it's a false analogy.

I think the decision wouldn't be Rivers vs. the DL, but rather Rivers vs. a group of the following:

Bradham

McKelvin

Glenn

A. Williams

E. Wood

My response is: yes, I'd rather have Rivers. Spend all 7 draft picks next year on the OL if you have to, but get yourself a QB.

I would want to keep AWilliams and Bradham most on that list - followed by Glenn only because I am a little scared on him from last years performance on a piss poor line. If Wood walked at this rate, I'd not cry. He has a lot to prove after being one of the top 5 OC's in the AFC just a few years ago. McKelvin is nice to have and I don't want to give him up yet.
I'd keep what we have on D and find a plug 'n play QB and draft them too.

Rivers won't be available.

Not the answer to his question, come on. I am curious to this, too. Who would everyone rather have - Rivers or Dareus & Bradham and scrub B?

I'll agree it would be rivers vs mid tier deals being replaced by rookies/cheaper vets

Cassell

Boobie

Lawson

Leodis

Freddy

Kind of as a jumping off point, before looking at MD and Mario type players.... Not that we're getting him, but...

Edited by NoSaint

http://www.wgr550.com/Should-Buffalo-be-following-the-Philip-Rivers-saga/21772695

If available, would you rather the Bills sign Rivers by either letting Dareus walk or cutting Mario?

As much as I love our Dline, I think that a good QB with a great Dline(minus either mario or dareus), wins more games than our current QB and Dline.

No brainer... sign the defensive staff... Rivers is just not worth losing actual top level talent. He's at the end of his mediocre career anyway. I'd take rivers if he was available off of waivers obviously, but he is better than that, just not by very much in my opinion. The guy hasn't won anything, and I don't think he ever will.

What really should be looked at here is what will realistically be availalble to us

A franchise QB on the free agent market

or

Homegrown talent that has been drafted....traded for....and Mario Williams (who looks like now was a huge get)

One of those is available to us therefore we pay them.....one of them will NEVER be available to us (in free agency)

If we want a franchise QB we have to draft one......

If Wood walked at this rate, I'd not cry. He has a lot to prove after being one of the top 5 OC's in the AFC just a few years ago.

So what is the difference between when he started in the NFL and the end of last season; nasty injury, crappy guards next to him, poor coaching, and a **** offensive scheme. My money is Wood returns to the monster he was.

wow id trade mario for rivers straight up. Compare the 98,99 and 2000,2001 seasons

In 1998 & 1999 B.Smith had only 7 sacks after just 10 in both previous seasons. bills made the playoffs though with aging-average short QB play.

in 2000 we benched our aging average qb, we still had pat williams, ted washington, and sam cowart. Bills go 8-8 only due to said QB coming back in for 6 games.

in 2011 without said QB or any D line to speak of we go 3-13

I say Its much better to have qb who can deliver especially since we have 5 legit top tier skill position players now, than a top DE who can get 5-7 more sacks than an average guy. Williams doesnt go hard every game either. I imagine Rivers would play hard every game.

wow id trade mario for rivers straight up. Compare the 98,99 and 2000,2001 seasons

In 1998 & 1999 B.Smith had only 7 sacks after just 10 in both previous seasons. bills made the playoffs though with aging-average short QB play.

in 2000 we benched our aging average qb, we still had pat williams, ted washington, and sam cowart. Bills go 8-8 only due to said QB coming back in for 6 games.

in 2011 without said QB or any D line to speak of we go 3-13

I say Its much better to have qb who can deliver especially since we have 5 legit top tier skill position players now, than a top DE who can get 5-7 more sacks than an average guy. Williams doesnt go hard every game either. I imagine Rivers would play hard every game.

I'm sorry, but Mario doesn't go hard every game? I wholly disagree.

Also, if the example is that Rivers can get this team to the playoffs without a great D, but the opposite isn't true, then why did both teams finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs last year?

Lastly, comparing the importance of a good QB today to that of 15 years ago is apples to coconuts.

Correlation is not causation. There are a lot of men on a team, including the players and coaching staff, and just because a team wins or not when some particular player or coach was playing well or hurt, doesn't mean that that player is the sole reason, or for that matter any significant part of the reason at all.

Would I swap Dareus or Mario for the Rivers of 10 years ago? Maybe, maybe not, depending on whatever else was going on with the team, how the other teams in the AFCE and the rest of the AFC are doing, what the overall salary cap situation is, and so on.

This is a tough one. His interceptions have been consistently high the last couple years. I could very easily see us canning him after 3 years of losing citing turnovers as the reason we aren't a playoff team.

On the other hand, our team is so talented maybe we could overcome it? Nice to dream that the QB situation could be solved so easily, but either Manuel/Tyrod step up, or back to the draft I think.

Edited by What a Tuel

If only he was truly available. I'd give up two firsts and Mario Williams all day long for Rivers. No doubt.

Rivers with this offense would easily be the third best QB in the league behind Rodgers and Luck. We'd go 12-4.

Edited by Justice

Rivers does not want to move to LA , (very nice suburbs for all his kids) but would play 1 year in Buffalo or retire instead ?

I don't see Rivers leaving San Diego or the Chargers leaving either.

USC, which operates the Coliseum, confirmed Thursday it will submit a proposal to the NFL. But under the terms of USC's lease with the Coliseum Commission, the university can host only one team at the stadium on a temporary basis of up to four years
Rose Bowl stadiums opts out.
I would bet Rams owner to make the move
Edited by ALF

Rivers does not want to move to LA , (very nice suburbs for all his kids) but would play 1 year in Buffalo or retire instead ?

I don't see Rivers leaving San Diego or the Chargers leaving either.

USC, which operates the Coliseum, confirmed Thursday it will submit a proposal to the NFL. But under the terms of USC's lease with the Coliseum Commission, the university can host only one team at the stadium on a temporary basis of up to four years

Rose Bowl stadiums opts out.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-0710-nfl-rose-bowl-20150710-story.html

I would bet Rams owner to make the move

they are moving, and so is he. He just wants more money. Edited by YoloinOhio

Rivers

If you just want to talk in hypotheticals that will never happen, I like what some of the other guys stated in a handful of players for Rivers, but I'd never give away this line. Rivers is I think 32 or 33 and will play another year. He also will be franchised by San Diego so he's not going anywhere. They can tag him for the next two years. That's three years and he's 36.

so dream on with these fantasies of Rivers, Rodgers, Brees, and so on. It's once in a lifetime getting a Peyton manning or Brees years ago, but the risk of his shoulder. It just doesn't happen. Accept it. We'll only get a franchise QB through the draft, and we have to pick the right one.

I'm not slamming the OP, just we have so many of these threads that will never happen. If you guys like this stuff, that's fine.

Always take the QB. Rivers would be priority 1 if available and willing to come to Buffalo. This season should be a great reality check for a lot of Bills fans who think an exceptional DL and top 5 RB can make up for a crappy QB and below average OL.

Edited to add: It is possible (but not likely) that Rivers comes available, but I seriously doubt the Bills would be on his radar. He's a Southern boy who would likely try to get closer to home if possible. You never know though. If he wants shot at a ring and the Bills look to be a QB away it is possible (if unlikely).

Edited by BarleyNY

Always take the QB. Rivers would be priority 1 if available and willing to come to Buffalo. This season should be a great reality check for a lot of Bills fans who think an exceptional DL and top 5 RB can make up for a crappy QB and below average OL.

Edited to add: It is possible (but not likely) that Rivers comes available, but I seriously doubt the Bills would be on his radar. He's a Southern boy who would likely try to get closer to home if possible. You never know though. If he wants shot at a ring and the Bills look to be a QB away it is possible (if unlikely).

hey there is plenty of hunting and rednecks here, he will feel right at home :thumbsup:

Why dismantle a great, cohesive defense you just built to have a QB that has maybe 3-4 more productive years? He's 33 and you're dropping him into the northeast in a competitive division, in a cold-weather city that actually cares about football. It doesn't bode well for him.

I tend to agree with quinn early's ghost.

I'm certain we have a good DLine.

I'm uncertain about Rivers, how much he has left, and how well he would perform in Roman's offense.

To trade away a certainty for an uncertainty would make me nervous.