"How a rookie HC derailed a rookie QB"/All-22 of EJ Manuel

It was a good read, worth your time if you're on the fence about EJ, such as myself. I am at the point now where I'm very intrigued as to how a legitimate Offensive Coordinator handles EJ and a more relaxed, players minded type of Coach like Rex.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone went from calling in 45% pass plays on 1st down in Manuel's first 3 starts to 20% in his next 2 starts, having EJ Manuel hand off 80% of the time. Through the rest of his rookie season, Marrone had Manuel hand off over 70% of the time on first down in one score games.

so that makes 2 seasons in a row where Moron benched EJ after having one of the top 10 offenses (in points) the NFL in Sept

You want to instill confidence in EJ? LET HIM PLAY and keep it balanced.

How do you go from 45% down to 20% when the QB is being successful??

Marrone went from calling in 45% pass plays on 1st down in Manuel's first 3 starts to 20% in his next 2 starts, having EJ Manuel hand off 80% of the time. Through the rest of his rookie season, Marrone had Manuel hand off over 70% of the time on first down in one score games.

so that makes 2 seasons in a row where Moron benched EJ after having one of the top 10 offenses (in points) the NFL in Sept

Handcuffed, maybe, but Marrone didn't send EJ to the bench in his rookie season, injuries did.

My point was that Rex is an inspirational coach. That's not even opinion, it's fact. That he also pulled bad QBs who weren't playing well doesn't disprove that fact.

I agree he's inspirational ingeneral, but as pertains to QBs (and this discussion), he was a bit a mess--particularly last season. He should stay away from the offense in general.

Because EJ stunk in game 3 and continued stinking into game 4.

Edited by FireChan

Because....a rookie QB's never had a two game slump before amirite?

Marrone was an idiot.

Because...running the ball effectively more never helped a rookie QB have a good game, right?

Edited by FireChan

I'm sorry but that article is just terrible. If you ever need a textbook example of cherry picking, bookmark that sucker. It's a classic case of forming an agenda first (laud EJ; disparage Marrone), and then attempt to manipulate and contort data until you can fool someone into believing said agenda has merit. By the end of that atrocity I fully expected the author to attempt to statistically blame Marrone for the Clinton prison escape.

That piece is the product of a man with no statistical background, a rudimentary grasp of algebra, and way, way, way too much offseason Kool-Aid. It's also what happens when you delve too deep into the numbers and don't watch the actual games (he does have a future in politics however)

I have mixed emotions about EJ. Good game against the Patriots, good game against the Panthers, then that terrible game against the Jets where he was throwing 5 yards Out of Bounds.

Then last year we go 2-0 and a few games later the WR's are stopping their routes short cuz EJ's passes are leaving them vulnerable for an early death by overthrows and underthrows.

Matt Cassel is an Orton is a Fitztragic is a Holcomb is a run of the mill QB.

The NFL has a handful of Class A Quarterbacks. The Bills don't, so in my opinion, do like baseball starters.... Let EJ start a few games and if it doesn't work out, go to Cassel. If Cassel doesn't work out go to Tyrod. Its about winning NOW! FInding that guy. EJ is in year 3. Its do or die, Cassel is on his last leg and Tyrod is unknown.

JUST WIN BABY!

I thought I remember Rex saying he didn't have authority on when to bench Geno or Vick last year, or control over personnel and what other QBs were brought in, and that he was actually criticized for sticking too much with Sanchez.

Rex Ryan sticks to the defensive side of the ball

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Despite the struggles of his 27th-ranked offense, Rex Ryan is sticking to what he knows: Defense.

Though he occasionally shares thoughts with offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, Ryan hasn't taken a more hands-on approach with the offense. "Because I'm calling the defense, I'm in those meetings,'' he said Thursday. "So if they're going on at the same time, I'm in the defensive meetings.''

It does help but they never did run the ball effectively since marrone decided he was the oline coach.

Since we are talking about 2013, that's irrelevant.

Luckily, EJ is guaranteed to be on our roster next season, because the Kromer fiasco will be blamed for EJ's lack of development.

Edited by FireChan

I know it's subtle, but people here who are still open minded about EJ, are just that... they want to see if he'll develop in a (theoretically) better system. I doubt you'll see too many defending EJ if he doesn't show any development this year.

Interesting takes. I'm willing to give EJ the benefit of the doubt, but a short leash. I need to see at the very least a strong pre-season, where he looks sharp when it doesn't matter. The article may have been skewed, and conversely, glad Maroone is gone.

Regardless, I want to see accuracy, courage, and precision from him in meaningless games. It makes me more confident in our guy in the season. We have such a talented team outside of the QB.

We can look at possibly a bad line rattled EJ last year coupled with poor coaching. The bottom line is it looks like he'll have a better O-Line, more talent in the skill positions, better more experienced coaching, and again a top 3 defense. What more does he need to win? He also has a manageable schedule with the NFC East and AFC South.

If he can't put together a season looking to 11-5, I'm done. Move on. He's a third stronger at best next year. We have to pay him so no point in cutting him. He can though be moved to third string if he does not advance.

Since we are talking about 2013, that's irrelevant.

Luckily, EJ is guaranteed to be on our roster next season, because the Kromer fiasco will be blamed for EJ's lack of development.

We should probably get rid of the whole o line too then.

I gotta admit.......at first I was happy when I saw EJ benched after that texans game.....

but

Then I went back and rewatched film......and then I saw what happened when Orton when into the game

Bottom line.....Marrone panicked......and then didnt have the common sense to go back to EJ when Orton started stinking up the joint

I gotta admit.......at first I was happy when I saw EJ benched after that texans game.....

but

Then I went back and rewatched film......and then I saw what happened when Orton when into the game

Bottom line.....Marrone panicked......and then didnt have the common sense to go back to EJ when Orton started stinking up the joint

I don't know this. It's total conjecture, based on what I saw. But I argued all through the second half of last season that Marrone neutered Orton and the offense, and that is why he seemed to give up. Not that he was just cashing a paycheck all along. I think he got totally frustrated with Marrone's Lee Smith offense, and he wasn't allowed to be the field general that he was in the first few games.

He gave up because he couldn't really play his game. And Marrone, as was his wont, decided to play not to lose because the defense was so good.

There is nothing I have seen or read or heard since then that makes me rethink that stance, and a lot of things that make me believe it more.