"How a rookie HC derailed a rookie QB"/All-22 of EJ Manuel

I didn't finish my reply. Accidentally entered it in my iPhone before finishing typing. It's edited above.

Well that theory is pretty crazy. I really can't think of why someone would intentionally sabotage his team (and his own head coaching ability) to undermine Whaley and try to get him fired. Though it seems to question why he played people the way he did. Especially the OLine.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that theory is pretty crazy. I really can't think of why someone would intentionally sabotage his team (and his own head coaching ability) to undermine Whaley and try to get him fired. Though it seems to question why he played people the way he did. Especially the OLine.

Almost as crazy as someone opting out of a head coaching position to ultimately end up as the OL of the worst team in the league. I never said I thought it was a well thought out conspiracy. :lol:

Good article. I think everyone knew the coaching was off the last 2 years. Last year especially. We also had fan blinders on, and hoped it was Hackett more than Marrone.

I thought it was Marrone. Nate would have called nutso and the kitchen sink, all over the road plays if he had the chance. even if they did not work. that my sole opinion

Marrone kept reigning him in. conservative to a fault. Obviously.

the second year was when it just got weird

Almost as crazy as someone opting out of a head coaching position to ultimately end up as the OL of the worst team in the league. I never said I thought it was a well thought out conspiracy. :lol:

Fair enough. But like I said before, you do bring up an interesting point about the way that he had the players play and who he played.

He probably took that into his coaching interviews as a plus.

"I had Watkins running nothing but slants and comebacks and still almost got him 1,000 yards"

"I put the worst offensive line together I could think of and still ended up 9-7"

"I ran 80% of the time on 1st down and still managed to win games"

"I did everything I could to not win games so I could use my opt-out clause and not have the fans hate me but we still won!"

Edited by The Wiz

I thought it was Marrone. Nate would have called nutso and the kitchen sink, all over the road plays if he had the chance. even if they did not work. that my sole opinion

Marrone kept reigning him in. conservative to a fault. Obviously.

the second year was when it just got weird

Didn't one of the players (Fred?) come out and say don't blame Nate, the HC won't let him call it the way he'd like?

This article was BRILLIANT!! Maroon checked you into his doghouse, and you couldn't check out. Mike Williams, Kraig Urbik, Marquise Goodwin with 1 (yes, one) catch all year, and now we see the stats on EJ clear as day. It's extremely hard to reach any other conclusion than Maroon did this all deliberately, but to what end? That's the part that escapes me. Tear down Whaley? Try to lose? Too much of a control freak to let the players play?

It doesn't really matter. POS is gone and good #$%ing riddance. It's too bad nobody knew how bad a coach he really was. I feel sorry for the Jags (not really). Happy trails Dougie, thanks again for taking the money and running, showing no class or character in the process.

Hopefully now we get to see the real EJ (sorry EJ haterz).

This article was BRILLIANT!! Maroon checked you into his doghouse, and you couldn't check out. Mike Williams, Kraig Urbik, Marquise Goodwin with 1 (yes, one) catch all year, and now we see the stats on EJ clear as day. It's extremely hard to reach any other conclusion than Maroon did this all deliberately, but to what end? That's the part that escapes me. Tear down Whaley? Try to lose? Too much of a control freak to let the players play?

It doesn't really matter. POS is gone and good #$%ing riddance. It's too bad nobody knew how bad a coach he really was. I feel sorry for the Jags (not really). Happy trails Dougie, thanks again for taking the money and running, showing no class or character in the process.

Hopefully now we get to see the real EJ (sorry EJ haterz).

Man! Thats some pent up writing!!

But i cant argue it. Last year was so weird.

at least the defense was awesome to watch :thumbsup: Jim did one fine job with his guys. Hard to imagine Rex and Thurman will be more effective. But i feel they will.

damn that Kromer

so close and the curse shows up.

suggestions have been as loopy as bringing back P Morris.

Thoughts?

did Marrone ruin him too?

Is that like saying Whaley is at fault for marrone not being able to coach a qb?

nope. more like Littman is was at fault

Wow. Great article. If I'm EJ reading this, and there's no way he hasn't by now, I'm pissed as hell and feeling redeemed. Hopefully the Kromer f-up doesn't derail what Roman is trying to build in Buffalo. Whoever the QB is this season, it's evident that he'll fare far better under Ryan/Roman than the Marrone/Hackett clown car.

Marrone and Hackett installed a mechanical passing game that required disciplined route running and the timely delivery of the football. they ran to bring men forward, and open up space for mid-range passes. but the running game was too easily defended by the defensive front 7, and the windows tightened too much for EJ. hell, they eventually became too tight for the veteran Orton to achieve success. Marrone and Hackett's failure wasn't their offensive system, it was their preparation. they obviously did their homework on how the opponent would initially defend them, because more often than not, the offense could move the ball early on in a game. what they lacked was a 60 minute gameplan of how they would force the D to react in ways that they had prepared counter-measures for. with oversized linemen that weren't capable of pulling or getting to second level defenders, and without the creativity of motion or formation to get more men to the poa - the run game was easily adjusted to. add to this the schematically challenged receivers, who often drew defenders into each others' routes, and it would have taken a very good QB to compensate.

We still don't have a very good QB, but what we do have is a coordinator that will actually coordinate the offense. Roman brings numbers at you. if you do the expected, and defend a gap with a tackle and a lb, he's going to double team the tackle and kick out your lb with a pulling lineman, te, fb, or h-back. when you adjust by bringing help from the secondary, he'll show you the same formation and throw at the space the safety abandoned.. cat and mouse.. all day.. being prepared for how he'll be defended with multiple options to counter with. his passing game won't be the timed game Marrone and Hackett thought would a rookie could best succeed in.. it will be an option game, where the QB has one or two reads on specific defenders who will either move to where they've been baited to move, or stay where they're expected to stay if they don't take the bait. cat and mouse.. all day.

Roman doesn't need a mechanical man to run his O, but he needs a QB who can trust his reads to the point where he develops a feel - or anticipation - of what the read will do. that's when the gameplan comes together, and i think any of the four guys we have are capable of getting comfortable in that offense.

Wow. Great article. If I'm EJ reading this, and there's no way he hasn't by now, I'm pissed as hell and feeling redeemed. Hopefully the Kromer f-up doesn't derail what Roman is trying to build in Buffalo. Whoever the QB is this season, it's evident that he'll fare far better under Ryan/Roman than the Marrone/Hackett clown car.

I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't and doesn't.

Fair enough. But like I said before, you do bring up an interesting point about the way that he had the players play and who he played.

He probably took that into his coaching interviews as a plus.

"I had Watkins running nothing but slants and comebacks and still almost got him 1,000 yards"

"I put the worst offensive line together I could think of and still ended up 9-7"

"I ran 80% of the time on 1st down and still managed to win games"

"I did everything I could to not win games so I could use my opt-out clause and not have the fans hate me but we still won!"

Wiz, I was thinking that the author had more articles coming like:

How a rookie HC tried to derail his pass rushing LB/DE or

How a rookie HC tried to derail his 2nd year WR or

How a rookie HC tried to derail his rookie WR or

you get my drift. I'm starting to wonder if the rookie HC tried to derail his GM?

Man! Thats some pent up writing!!

But i cant argue it. Last year was so weird.

at least the defense was awesome to watch :thumbsup: Jim did one fine job with his guys. Hard to imagine Rex and Thurman will be more effective. But i feel they will.

damn that Kromer

so close and the curse shows up.

suggestions have been as loopy as bringing back P Morris.

Thoughts?

did Marrone ruin him too?

Hard to say. I think it's tough to measure the performance of any player or coach under Maroon. Some players were able to perform at a high level while others languished on the bench. I tend to think the same for the coaches. Pat Morris is supposably a good coach. If Rex hires him after Kromer gets shown the door, we'll find out.