"How a rookie HC derailed a rookie QB"/All-22 of EJ Manuel

Isn't it great that Bills fans, whether Flutie or Johnson supporters, EJ lovers or haters, or Fred Jackson or Tashard Choice guys, can all agree that Marrone sucks.

Yet he had many supporters when he was brought over from his PInstripe Bowl powerhouse team......

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, he did deserve to be benched.

The people "not knowing" are the ones still holding out hope.

The ones not holding out hope have seen enough and have seen too many poor qualities (and they are not coach induced) to say on to the next guy.

IMHO EJ will not amount to anything. Waiting for troll responses!

58724156.jpg

Agreed. As much as I agree with the article, I remain puzzled by EJ's regressing accuracy. Not gonna matter what plays are called if he can't make accurate throws.

Wasn't the QB coach last year (forgot his name) who said that EJ didn't have an accuracy issue so much as a timing issue?

Accuracy seems like it's mostly an innate skill while timing is more trainable.

Marrone and Hackett installed a mechanical passing game that required disciplined route running and the timely delivery of the football. they ran to bring men forward, and open up space for mid-range passes. but the running game was too easily defended by the defensive front 7, and the windows tightened too much for EJ. hell, they eventually became too tight for the veteran Orton to achieve success. Marrone and Hackett's failure wasn't their offensive system, it was their preparation. they obviously did their homework on how the opponent would initially defend them, because more often than not, the offense could move the ball early on in a game. what they lacked was a 60 minute gameplan of how they would force the D to react in ways that they had prepared counter-measures for. with oversized linemen that weren't capable of pulling or getting to second level defenders, and without the creativity of motion or formation to get more men to the poa - the run game was easily adjusted to. add to this the schematically challenged receivers, who often drew defenders into each others' routes, and it would have taken a very good QB to compensate.

We still don't have a very good QB, but what we do have is a coordinator that will actually coordinate the offense. Roman brings numbers at you. if you do the expected, and defend a gap with a tackle and a lb, he's going to double team the tackle and kick out your lb with a pulling lineman, te, fb, or h-back. when you adjust by bringing help from the secondary, he'll show you the same formation and throw at the space the safety abandoned.. cat and mouse.. all day.. being prepared for how he'll be defended with multiple options to counter with. his passing game won't be the timed game Marrone and Hackett thought would a rookie could best succeed in.. it will be an option game, where the QB has one or two reads on specific defenders who will either move to where they've been baited to move, or stay where they're expected to stay if they don't take the bait. cat and mouse.. all day.

Roman doesn't need a mechanical man to run his O, but he needs a QB who can trust his reads to the point where he develops a feel - or anticipation - of what the read will do. that's when the gameplan comes together, and i think any of the four guys we have are capable of getting comfortable in that offense.

This is the difference for me. I actually didn't hate Marrone while he was here, but he desperately was going to need to change offensive coordinators and let him do his thing without interference.

I remember looking on agonizingly at the Raiders game, screaming at the TV because the play calling was just so bad. Roman, for all his faults and criticisms, certainly knew to make adjustments depending on the talent at hand.

I'm still optimistic for EJ if not full throated in defending him. I can't wait for training camp.

Marrone and Hackett installed a mechanical passing game that required disciplined route running and the timely delivery of the football. they ran to bring men forward, and open up space for mid-range passes. but the running game was too easily defended by the defensive front 7, and the windows tightened too much for EJ. hell, they eventually became too tight for the veteran Orton to achieve success. Marrone and Hackett's failure wasn't their offensive system, it was their preparation. they obviously did their homework on how the opponent would initially defend them, because more often than not, the offense could move the ball early on in a game. what they lacked was a 60 minute gameplan of how they would force the D to react in ways that they had prepared counter-measures for. with oversized linemen that weren't capable of pulling or getting to second level defenders, and without the creativity of motion or formation to get more men to the poa - the run game was easily adjusted to. add to this the schematically challenged receivers, who often drew defenders into each others' routes, and it would have taken a very good QB to compensate.

We still don't have a very good QB, but what we do have is a coordinator that will actually coordinate the offense. Roman brings numbers at you. if you do the expected, and defend a gap with a tackle and a lb, he's going to double team the tackle and kick out your lb with a pulling lineman, te, fb, or h-back. when you adjust by bringing help from the secondary, he'll show you the same formation and throw at the space the safety abandoned.. cat and mouse.. all day.. being prepared for how he'll be defended with multiple options to counter with. his passing game won't be the timed game Marrone and Hackett thought would a rookie could best succeed in.. it will be an option game, where the QB has one or two reads on specific defenders who will either move to where they've been baited to move, or stay where they're expected to stay if they don't take the bait. cat and mouse.. all day.

Roman doesn't need a mechanical man to run his O, but he needs a QB who can trust his reads to the point where he develops a feel - or anticipation - of what the read will do. that's when the gameplan comes together, and i think any of the four guys we have are capable of getting comfortable in that offense.

'DaDay - Very nice. Thank you.

I hope you would post observations more often.

:thumbsup:

Isn't it great that Bills fans, whether Flutie or Johnson supporters, EJ lovers or haters, or Fred Jackson or Tashard Choice guys, can all agree that Marrone sucks.

It will be interesting to see, if Marrone could get 9 wins out of this team with essentially NO QB, what can Ryan do?

This is the difference for me. I actually didn't hate Marrone while he was here, but he desperately was going to need to change offensive coordinators and let him do his thing without interference.

I remember looking on agonizingly at the Raiders game, screaming at the TV because the play calling was just so bad. Roman, for all his faults and criticisms, certainly knew to make adjustments depending on the talent at hand.

I'm still optimistic for EJ if not full throated in defending him. I can't wait for training camp.

There was no excuse for that loss and horrible play calling, scheme and game plan, adjustments.

Maybe Hackett was on the way out anyway and Marrone just took the money and ran??

'DaDay - Very nice. Thank you.

I hope you would post observations more often.

:thumbsup:

It will be interesting to see, if Marrone could get 9 wins out of this team with essentially NO QB, what can Ryan do?

There was no excuse for that loss and horrible play calling, scheme and game plan, adjustments.

Maybe Hackett was on the way out anyway and Marrone just took the money and ran??

It's gonna be interesting to see what happens if we don't win at least 9 games. I think our schedule is a bit tougher this year, so it's very possible that it could happen.

It doesnt matter there was a certaini window from new ownership that Marrone could have opted out

CBF

It took 6 months from Wilson's death to the sale. If Ralph had died toward the end of 2014, then I doubt very much that Marrone would've bailed out if new ownership took over right around the draft. That would make him look even dumber, if that's possible...

It's gonna be interesting to see what happens if we don't win at least 9 games. I think our schedule is a bit tougher this year, so it's very possible that it could happen.

Oi! Good point. I do think the Bills benefited from a soft schedule AND very few major injuries to starters last year. Both of those things could change.

Wasn't the QB coach last year (forgot his name) who said that EJ didn't have an accuracy issue so much as a timing issue?

Accuracy seems like it's mostly an innate skill while timing is more trainable.

it still blows my mind that people dont think accuracy can change with tweaks to footwork, possibly throwing motion, confidence in your line and reads you are making, etc.....

EJ in shorts and no rush does not have an accuracy issue, so hopefully the game can slow down and he can find rhythm on sundays.

it still blows my mind that people dont think accuracy can change with tweaks to footwork, possibly throwing motion, confidence in your line and reads you are making, etc.....

EJ in shorts and no rush does not have an accuracy issue, so hopefully the game can slow down and he can find rhythm on sundays.

I'm with ya...I think it's primarily about confidence. The mechanics are important, but mean nothing until they are second nature (thus inspiring confidence).

If Rex does anything he inspires confidence -- if that pays off with respect to EJ we may all be pleasantly surprised.

Oi! Good point. I do think the Bills benefited from a soft schedule AND very few major injuries to starters last year. Both of those things could change.

How did we have a soft schedule last year? Going into the season it was one of the tougher SOS. The year before was the easier one.

I believe I'm getting a headache from this. Enough already!!! Prove it in practice,Prove it in the weight room, prove it in the film room, prove in the huddle and Prove it on the field already!!!

He hasn't had a chance to prove anything yet - EJ was benched after a 2-2 start with Nate Hackett as his O-coordinator. Hardly a reason to bench a second year QB who missed most of his rookie year due to injury.

Yes, he did deserve to be benched.

The people "not knowing" are the ones still holding out hope.

The ones not holding out hope have seen enough and have seen too many poor qualities (and they are not coach induced) to say on to the next guy.

IMHO EJ will not amount to anything. Waiting for troll responses!

Really? Even after reading that article you've still "seen enough" of EJ in 14 games, running an obviously flawed Offensive to write him off? Before training camp even starts?

To each their own opinion, but makes no sense to me... :beer:

Really? Even after reading that article you've still "seen enough" of EJ in 14 games, running an obviously flawed Offensive to write him off? Before training camp even starts?

To each their own opinion, but makes no sense to me... :beer:

Of course it doesn't, it's just easier to blame the other party for all the faults he has. :wallbash:

The times we got to see the real EJ was in the 2 minute drills where he was extremely effective. I still think he can be good enough to help this team win games as a starter. He will NEVER be elite, but he can be good enough. With our defense that is all that we need to make some noise. :thumbsup:

Of course it doesn't, it's just easier to blame the other party for all the faults he has. :wallbash:

I didn't say that. At all.

But knowing what I now know about the guys drawing up and calling the plays I'm willing to at least wait and see what happens in Training Camp and Pre-season. If he can't win the job fine, no sweat off my back. If he does however, it will hopefully mean some good things for the Bills...

I'm with ya...I think it's primarily about confidence. The mechanics are important, but mean nothing until they are second nature (thus inspiring confidence).

If Rex does anything he inspires confidence -- if that pays off with respect to EJ we may all be pleasantly surprised.

He benched Geno Smith twice in October last year, after singing Vick to the roster in the offseason after Smith's rookie year. Then he benched Vick in November and went back to Smith.

Rex also benched Snachez several times--then he brought in Drew Stanton...then Tebow...to challenge Sanchez.

Yeah, Rex is well known for instilling confidence in his young QBs.

He benched Geno Smith twice in October last year, after singing Vick to the roster in the offseason after Smith's rookie year. Then he benched Vick in November and went back to Smith.

Rex also benched Snachez several times--then he brought in Drew Stanton...then Tebow...to challenge Sanchez.

Yeah, Rex is well known for instilling confidence in his young QBs.

Remember when Greg McElroy had to play because Sancho was benched? Very inspiring.

Edited by FireChan