"How a rookie HC derailed a rookie QB"/All-22 of EJ Manuel

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe I'm getting a headache from this. Enough already!!! Prove it in practice,Prove it in the weight room, prove it in the film room, prove in the huddle and Prove it on the field already!!!

You do know they're not ON the field yet, right? o_O

Of course EJ will have to prove it, but this article shows that maaaaaybe it wasn't ALL just EJ sucking...

St. Doug was real bad at analytics. Real bad.

Also this - it's just mindbottling...

Marrone was the classic example of a rookie head coach trying to establish a legacy who couldn't let the development of a rookie QB get in the way. In short, he was insecure.

GO BILLS!!!

That's because the article was less about EJ being a great QB and far more about how illogical the play calling was. Why change the play calling when EJ was doing fine the way things were? Just because you want to make it specifically about how bad EJ is doesn't mean that was the intent of the author.

right - the article was about Marrone, but utilized EJ's stats as illustration. The author clarified his stance at the end but his stance on EJ wasn't the main idea.

Sure it was about EJ, put it right in his title. Not just illogical play calling---he says Marrone "Derailed" the rookie QB.

Huh? Weinke, Beuerlein, and Shaw weren't 1-3.

Huh? They were all in the top 10 of this "rookie performance in weeks 1-3 of their rookie year" pseudostat.

like if you tried to be worse, it would be a challenge.

Yes. It's close to being funny, but cant be because it is too sad.

We literally had to stomach Brandon and St. Doug's "analytics pitch" 5 minutes before they did as bad of a job at analytics as you could possibly do. A blindfolded monkey throwing darts at the playbook would have done a better job. And again, that's not to be funny. Like, that's the real truth.

Interesting article but brings back bad memories.

Whatever your opinion of EJ, I think most of us can agree that Marrone didn't use or develop him correctly.

And we can also agree that Marrone's/Hackett's schemes and play-calling were poor.

The statistics in the article won't lead most of us to conclusions we hadn't already made.

Understate much?

Interesting article but brings back bad memories.

Whatever your opinion of EJ, I think most of us can agree that Marrone didn't use or develop him correctly.

And we can also agree that Marrone's/Hackett's schemes and play-calling were poor.

The statistics in the article won't lead most of us to conclusions we hadn't already made.

Whaley pretty much said that he didn't try developing him at all.

Whaley pretty much said that he didn't try developing him at all.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but with the uncertainty of the ownership the impression I'm left with is that Marrone was trying to position himself to look good by making Whaley look bad, primarily by misusing players like Watkins, Manuel, and others that are linked to Whaley's legacy.

Edited by transient

I think that many of us have stated beliefs that EJ performs better 1) under center and 2) with play action. This most likely is the case with the 1st down passes that the article is talking about.

Being in the shotgun combined with poor pass protection (3rd and longer passes) injected enough doubt into his game to allow him to perform consistently well.

Here we go again.Last year all this EJ is still awesome talk was going on and anyone who disagreed was a troll and then 3 games in all were behing benching EJ.The guy just doesn't have it.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but with the uncertainty of the ownership

I can understand that. But even others that worked for/with Marrone called him out. I recall one of his coaches from SU I believe saying something about he lack of commitment. Doesn't mean anything about EJ or Whaley but when more than one source comes out like that you have to wonder.

I can understand that. But even others that worked for/with Marrone called him out. I recall one of his coaches from SU I believe saying something about he lack of commitment. Doesn't mean anything about EJ or Whaley but when more than one source comes out like that you have to wonder.

I didn't finish my reply. Accidentally entered it in my iPhone before finishing typing. It's edited above.

You do know they're not ON the field yet, right? o_O

Of course EJ will have to prove it, but this article shows that maaaaaybe it wasn't ALL just EJ sucking...

Also this - it's just mindbottling...

Mindbottling, eh? That's rarely seen outside of labs. The last time I think I saw it was on a jar labeled Abby Normal in the movie Young Frankenstein.