What 5 QBs are top of your list to start a team today

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few things. First off, anyone who doesn't have Luck #1- I gotta seriously question their football acumen. Not that he'll necessarily be better than Rodgers but if you read the original post carefully, he is clearly the best answer to the question posed. Rodgers is obviously also in the top 5 because he's still young enough and he has relatively little wear and tear for a guy his age. Matt Ryan is 100% absolutely in the top 5 and it blows my mind that only one other person has mentioned him. Russell Wilson is also a shoe-in and anyone who spews the "he's overrated; he's not asked to do that much because their defense is so good" nonsense simply doesn't watch him play. So I think there is a clear cut top 4:

1. Luck

2. Rodgers

3. Ryan

4. Wilson

After that, I think it's naïve to take Roethlisberger over Brady, Romo and certainly Rivers. He is entering his 12th year and he is beat up for an 11 year veteran. I wouldn't be surprised if Roethlisberger starts his inevitable decline before Brady does. After reading that SI article on Brady and how he takes care of his body last year and knowing just how much he loves to play the game, I am inclined to go Brady. It's hard to go against the best QB to ever play the game coming off one of his best seasons. I wouldn't be shocked if he is an elite QB at 40. Newton, Stafford, ehh. I'd probably take Flacco over either of them.

5. Brady

This post would have been perfectly acceptable without denigrating everyone who doesn't agree. That's why they're called opinions.

By the way, I agree with your five but in a different order:

1. Luck

2. Rodgers

3. Wilson

4. Brady

5. Ryan

Rodgers

Ryan

Big Ben

Flacco

Wilson

Did you consider Manuel? If you honestly believe the Bills would've finished 12-4 last year if they stuck with Manuel as you've stated, you have to at least consider him I would think. Also, you would take 11-year veteran Ben Roethlisberger who is about five years away from having trouble walking over 25 year old Andrew Luck to build a team around? At least you are in the minority of people who spelled Aaron Rodgers' name right.

This post would have been perfectly acceptable without denigrating everyone who doesn't agree. That's why they're called opinions.

By the way, I agree with your five but in a different order:

1. Luck

2. Rodgers

3. Wilson

4. Brady

5. Ryan

Fair enough. Glad you agree though. I think Wilson and Ryan are pretty neck and neck, I could certainly see putting Wilson 3 ahead of Ryan.

Did you consider Manuel? If you honestly believe the Bills would've finished 12-4 last year if they stuck with Manuel as you've stated, you have to at least consider him I would think. Also, you would take 11-year veteran Ben Roethlisberger who is about five years away from having trouble walking over 25 year old Andrew Luck to build a team around? At least you are in the minority of people who spelled Aaron Rodgers' name right.

Fair enough. Glad you agree though. I think Wilson and Ryan are pretty neck and neck, I could certainly see putting Wilson 3 ahead of Ryan.

It was actually the minority that spelled it wrong.

What does this "death of the quarterback" thing -if true- tell us. Is there going to really be a new kind of NFL offense? Manuel and Taylor in the backfield at the same time to run, pitch, pass in assorted combinations? Wide open quadruple option offense? quadruple option with ground and pound to keep defenses from spreading too wide with too many db's? Athletic quarterbacks who mostly throw on the run who pitch to passing halfbacks? Terrible stats but with gigantic plays? Someone pass me the smelling salts my hearts all aflutter.......

What does this "death of the quarterback" thing -if true- tell us. Is there going to really be a new kind of NFL offense? Manuel and Taylor in the backfield at the same time to run, pitch, pass in assorted combinations? Wide open quadruple option offense? quadruple option with ground and pound to keep defenses from spreading too wide with too many db's? Athletic quarterbacks who mostly throw on the run who pitch to passing halfbacks? Terrible stats but with gigantic plays? Someone pass me the smelling salts my hearts all aflutter.......

It was just a couple of bad QB years in 2013 & 2014. Bridgewater & Carr appear to be players and the 2 rookies this year have received a lot of praise through the offseason (despite Jameis working with the 2nd team some). Next year's class has potentially 5 1st rounders as well. It's not the death of the QB just a few down years.

Take a look at this 26-and-under list and tell me you're not impressed:

Luck

Stafford

Wilson

Newton

Foles

Bridgewater

Carr

Matt Simms

What has Ryan accomplished that Luck hasn't? Just curious as to why he is on there instead of Luck? The rest of the guys have won Super Bowls so that made some sense to me.

What has Luck accomplished that Ryan hasn't?

both have division win(s) and playoff win(s)

Maybe I don't like his neck beard.

sure I would consider Manuel as the Bills starter, but IMO I didn't think that isn't the point of this thread.

But thanks for bringing EJ into the thread!! cheers to you.

Should I take out Ryan and put in EJ? Will that make you happy?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

No Luck (yet)

Luck is already better RIGHT NOW than all the quarterbacks you took except Rodgers. And he's younger than all of them. In each of his first three seasons, he made the playoffs in his first year, won a game in his second year and won two games in his third year. All with virtually no defense. His career trajectory couldn't be on a better track. Take Matt Ryan for instance. Andrew Luck is already putting up better numbers than Ryan has ever put up, he's five years younger and he's gotten the same distance in the playoffs (championship game). On what planet would you take Matt Ryan over Andrew Luck in any situation??? It's literally insane. This may be your most preposterous stance yet.

Ugh, I really really want to say Foles, but idk if he's top 5.

• Rodgers (well that was easy)
  • Luck (He has some turnover issues, but he's turned garbage into gold in Indy)
  • Brees (He's just darn good and very consistent despite his supporting cast)
  • Big Ben (Pretty decent all around QB)
  • Flacco (This guy is either overrated or underrated depending on who you ask, but he's great in the playoffs, and that's a plus for me)
Here's hasn't been good on the road in years. He is not consistent.

What has Luck accomplished that Ryan hasn't?

both have division win(s) and playoff win(s)

Maybe I don't like his neck beard.

Ryan has failed to make the playoffs two years in a row with a crap D. Luck has not missed the playoffs despite a crap D. ATL's D was crappier for sure. But I think they had 3 wins one year. I just think he needs to pull the team through more than that.

Ryan has failed to make the playoffs two years in a row with a crap D. Luck has not missed the playoffs despite a crap D. ATL's D was crappier for sure. But I think they had 3 wins one year. I just think he needs to pull the team through more than that.

Luck has also won 3 playoff games in 3 years compared to Ryan's 1 playoff win in 7 years

It was just a couple of bad QB years in 2013 & 2014. Bridgewater & Carr appear to be players and the 2 rookies this year have received a lot of praise through the offseason (despite Jameis working with the 2nd team some). Next year's class has potentially 5 1st rounders as well. It's not the death of the QB just a few down years.

I am still not totally buying Carr yet. He was very up and down last year and I think there is a lot to prove. It might be blind optimisim because he was a project but I still think Bortles could come good if Jacksonville start being better around him.

Bridgewater could be a breakout star this year. I think the Vikings are an NFC sleeper.

Edited by GunnerBill

Luck is already better RIGHT NOW than all the quarterbacks you took except Rodgers. And he's younger than all of them. In each of his first three seasons, he made the playoffs in his first year, won a game in his second year and won two games in his third year. All with virtually no defense. His career trajectory couldn't be on a better track. Take Matt Ryan for instance. Andrew Luck is already putting up better numbers than Ryan has ever put up, he's five years younger and he's gotten the same distance in the playoffs (championship game). On what planet would you take Matt Ryan over Andrew Luck in any situation??? It's literally insane. This may be your most preposterous stance yet.

IF you wish to get to the playoffs only to get crushed after the WC round then you should pick pick Luck.

I am not a fan of PURE passers in the NFL as I feel balance is better. ergo that is why I picked Wilson and Ryan and Flacco and Rodgers and Big Ben.

if you don't like my choices I am sorry. The question was asked I offered my opinion. Also, please insults are not necessary in this conversation.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

IF you wish to get to the playoffs only to get crushed after the WC round then you should pick pick Luck.

I am not a fan of PURE passers in the NFL as I feel balance is better. ergo that is why I picked Wilson and Ryan and Flacco and Rodgers and Big Ben.

if you don't like my choices I am sorry. The question was asked I offered my opinion. Also, please insults are not necessary in this conversation.

what do you mean by "pure passer?" Luck is very mobile outside the pocket, and fast. I think he ran a 4.58 40 at the combine.

It's not that I dislike anything about your choices I just seek to understand what I do not understand :)

Edited by YoloinOhio

Look TBD wouldn't be the same without ya. Certainly no hard feelings. But come on man, you have gone on this utterly baseless anti-Luck tangent before and I just don't get it. So you're telling me that right now, if you could be handed a QB to play for the Bills, you would take Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlisberger entering his 12th year, Matt Ryan, who's never been as good ever as Luck already is, over Andrew Luck? What I think you may be doing here is trying to make a point that you're not as sold on Luck as the rest of us (which is fine, that's a fair opinion to have) but you're going maybe one step too far to make your point.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

what do you mean by "pure passer?" Luck is very mobile outside the pocket, and fast. I think he ran a 4.58 40 at the combine.

It's not that I dislike anything about your choices I just seek to understand what I do not understand :)

One who relies more on his passing acumen then on his passing, scrambling and decision making. Again more the RW prototypical QB.

What to the others who liked Ryan have to say about their choice?

He just played in the AFC championship game and lost to arguably the best QB of all time. And Luck is way more mobile than Ryan, Flacoo, and Roethlisberger. You're beyond ridiculous. You're now a caricature of the wingnut that you used to be.

the Colts got HUMILIATED just like his protogee Peyton Manning in the prior Super Bowl.

Do not take my non listing of Luck as I think he sucks. I'll say it again and catch more crap Luck = P Manning early on. They operate in a more one dimensional O than a balanced.

If this is not clear enough I apologize, I don't have more to offer.

and thank you all for insulting me for providing their opinion

You should all feel proud.

the Colts got HUMILIATED just like his protogee Peyton Manning in the prior Super Bowl.

Do not take my non listing of Luck as I think he sucks. I'll say it again and catch more crap Luck = P Manning early on. They operate in a more one dimensional O than a balanced.

Question, and based on your posting history I think it's a fair one: Who would you take on your roster right now, EJ Manuel or Andrew Luck?

It is clear. Clearly f@#$ing insane. This is the first documented instance where a comparison to Peyton Manning was used as a criticism. You have a list of guys like Flacco, Ryan, and Roethlisberger who failed to advance as far in the playoffs as Luck or even make it to post season play and your criticism is that Luck is a young Peyton Manning (a first ballot hall of famer) who lost in the AFC Championship game and thats a bad thing.

Edited by Jauronimo

Rodgers

Luck

Ryan

Roethlisberger

Rivers

Age and ability.

No thanks to R Wilson. Let's see him have to carry his team, not lend a hand. All five of those guys have been the main reason their teams have had success. Can we say the same about Wilson?

In fairness to Wilson, he did rush for more yards than all but 14 running backs last season (he also rushed for 6 TDs), in addition to throwing for a career-best 3,475 yards with 20 TDs and a career-low 7 INTs, and that was with a pretty suspect OL.

He's very, very good.