Sabres on NBC-NBCSN 5 Times Next Season

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://fat.gfycat.co...indlyCooter.mp4

McDavid showcases his skills in Sabres' home rink

Being in the spotlight is something Connor McDavid has gotten used to already in his career. But playing in a NHL arena in front of NHL fans is something new.

The 17-year-old Erie Otters center is one of the most anticipated prospects in years and may wind up being the first selection in the 2015 NHL Draft. McDavid's Otters defeated the Niagara IceDogs 8-4 Wednesday in an Ontario Hockey League game at First Niagara Center and he knows the attention on him is growing.

I was there.

The lower bowl and the 200s were probably 90-95% full. 300s werent sold. It was a solid crowd. Im glad so many were exposed to the OHL. Such a great league. Too bad Erie is a machine and the game was never really in doubt.

McDavid is really, really good. This guy will bring a golden age of hockey here that we have never seen.

That's why it's worth a couple seasons of absolute misery (as opposed to plain old misery). This kid is a game changer and would look great in a Sabres sweater. And maybe even go after Mathews the following year! yeah, that probably won't happen. As I said before, once they get McDavid, it's game on! Time to build a winner.

That's why it's worth a couple seasons of absolute misery (as opposed to plain old misery). This kid is a game changer and would look great in a Sabres sweater. And maybe even go after Mathews the following year! yeah, that probably won't happen. As I said before, once they get McDavid, it's game on! Time to build a winner.

If the Sabres don't get this kid, It is going to be a major letdown. I dont think i can stress how big of a letdown it would be.

It just feels like we are getting this guy. I don't know, almost like it is supposed to happen... and I feel the NHL is/would also be on board with Buffalo landing McDavid. The whole hockey world already has this guy penciled in on the Sabres. Even if they land at #2, I could see them trading the Eichel plus another 1st and 2nd or something to move up for McDavid. That's part of the benefit of having the sheer volume of picks and prospects.

I saw his first OHL game up in St Catharines two seasons ago. A busload of Erie boosters were there (which we were like ??? because they were bad for a long time) with McDavid t-shirts. We were wondering who that was. He was just a little guy. He looked pretty impressive, but nothing that wonderful to the untrained eye... Looked him up on the way home and learned he was a 15 year old granted an exemption to be drafted #1 by Erie. The way he played (against good 20 year olds and 21 year olds, and guys like Dougie Hamilton) made him much more impressive.

Saw him a few times last season. While he looked very good, he was still not that big and he wasnt all that dominant.... Seeing him yesterday he grew a ton and he is on a completely different level out there. He is 17 and he could play in the NHL right now. Behind the net he looks like Gretzky.

He was also at the Bills/NE game, wore a Bills jersey and claims to be a Bills fan. http://video.buffalonews.com/Interview-with-Connor-McDavid--The-Bucky--Sully-Show-27857114?vcid=27857114&freewheel=90161&sitesection=dash#.VEko4_l4pNO

Pegulas are wining and dining.... fans are blowing up his twitter....

Its all too perfect, like, Im not even worried about it because its inevitable.

Edited by May Day 10

I'm not a big fan of the draft lottery system the NHL uses. Apparently having the worst record in the league only gives you a 20% shot at the #1 overall pick. While that's apparently better than any other team's chances, it's still an 80% probability that the worst team WOULDN'T get it. To me that should be a LOCK.

If the Sabres don't get this kid, It is going to be a major letdown. I dont think i can stress how big of a letdown it would be.

Not that big of a letdown at all if we get Eichel instead. And we probably aren't getting McDavid, in fact there is an 80% chance we don't even if we finish dead last. But with a dead last finish there is 100% chance that we at least get Eichel who is a generational talent in his own right. Tank on!

Not that big of a letdown at all if we get Eichel instead. And we probably aren't getting McDavid, in fact there is an 80% chance we don't even if we finish dead last. But with a dead last finish there is 100% chance that we at least get Eichel who is a generational talent in his own right. Tank on!

If you want to look at it that way then:

The team finishing second from last has a 86.5% chance of not getting the number 1 pick

The team finishing third from last has a 88.5% chance of not getting the number 1 pick

4th from last 90.5

5th 91.5

6th 92.5

7th 93.5

8th 95

9th 95

10th 96.5

11th 97

12th 97.5

13th 98

14th 99

So, I'll take my chances and finish last. Didn't work last year with better odds, but still the best odds.

i look at it as the Sabres will have the best chances of any team.

If the Islanders and/or the Blues dont make the playoffs, the odds go up (boy, imagine if they won the lottery and we get #1 and #2?)

Also, who knows if they will/can/want to get another 1st in trading Stewart, Stafford, or Myers.

Edited by May Day 10

If you want to look at it that way then:

The team finishing second from last has a 86.5% chance of not getting the number 1 pick

The team finishing third from last has a 88.5% chance of not getting the number 1 pick

4th from last 90.5

5th 91.5

6th 92.5

7th 93.5

8th 95

9th 95

10th 96.5

11th 97

12th 97.5

13th 98

14th 99

So, I'll take my chances and finish last. Didn't work last year with better odds, but still the best odds.

Believe me I agree 100%. I'm all for finishing dead last and getting the best shot at McDavid in the lottery, I'm just not getting my hopes up given the likelihood of not winning the lottery and knowing that Eichel will be there for the taking as long as we finish last. This is a very rare draft where there are two generational talents available (generational = Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby level talent), so I'm not going to be disappointed in the least if the Sabres "only" get the second best of the two whiz kids.

Believe me I agree 100%. I'm all for finishing dead last and getting the best shot at McDavid in the lottery, I'm just not getting my hopes up given the likelihood of not winning the lottery and knowing that Eichel will be there for the taking as long as we finish last. This is a very rare draft where there are two generational talents available (generational = Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby level talent), so I'm not going to be disappointed in the least if the Sabres "only" get the second best of the two whiz kids.

And a fairly deep draft with more picks to come for Myers, Stewart (Boston is already interested in Stewart), and Stafford. Probably others as well.

Im stoked to get either mcdavid or eichel.Something tells me the sabres will be assured of

getting the number one or two pick in the draft. since pegula bailed out the bills.Bettman will

make sure we do like when the penguins got sid...

just saying

When the hell did the "generational player" phrase get invented? Never heard of it until this draft, and that's all you hear about these guys.

I think the idea has always been there... Going way back. Perreault was one.

Honestly, not to be negative. I think we are going to get boned out McDavid. He'll land somewhere else like Carolina or some better team will get really "lucky" in the lottery.

No way we duplicate the Toews/Kane luck that Chicago pulled off or the Fleury/Crosby Pittsburgh got... The NHL is too rigged.

I just cannot see the NHL putting a guy like McDavid into Florida or Phoenix. We all know, and the NHL knows that he will be wasted in those markets, and ownership there isnt anywhere close to being stable. In fact, some findings this month may allow the lease to break with Florida. I think Buffalo is an attractive landing point for them if you are to believe the conspiracy angle. Pegula has been a great soldier for the NHL. Does everything they ask (raises revenues, in favor of unbalanced conferences), and now has got the unprecedented facility next to the arena built. The NHL, IIHF, and USA Hockey have given events to Buffalo with many more on the way. Also the proximity to the most populous region in Canada.

I just cannot see the NHL putting a guy like McDavid into Florida or Phoenix. We all know, and the NHL knows that he will be wasted in those markets, and ownership there isnt anywhere close to being stable. In fact, some findings this month may allow the lease to break with Florida. I think Buffalo is an attractive landing point for them if you are to believe the conspiracy angle. Pegula has been a great soldier for the NHL. Does everything they ask (raises revenues, in favor of unbalanced conferences), and now has got the unprecedented facility next to the arena built. The NHL, IIHF, and USA Hockey have given events to Buffalo with many more on the way. Also the proximity to the most populous region in Canada.

I hear you! Get this... Did you check out the quick two-minute video on ESPN w/MulletHead Melrose and Levy?

The quick segment is called: "Buffalo Stories." They start with saying how Hull's skate was in the crease and NO GOAL... Both of them are pretty much on BFLO's side in saying we got jobbed. Levy was the first one to tell Hull that his skate was in the crease.

Then The Mullet goes on to say BFLO has "to be bad to be good." The two basically sing a heap a praise all on BFLO, etc..

I thought Melrose hated BFLO... What's w/the turnaround. Strange that the haters are now lovers. Somebody in The NHL is paying attention. Too weird, IMO. Just not used to the love. Maybe the way the game is rigged, they will throw a bone to BFLO?

If the Sabres wind up not getting McDavid, Eichel would be an awfully nice consolation prize:

BU’s Jack Eichel is college hockey’s latest star prospect

The new face of American hockey doesn’t think it’s his. “Guys like Patrick Kane and Phil Kessel,” said Jack Eichel. “When I think of the face of American hockey, that’s what I think of. I really haven’t accomplished much and I have a long way to go before I can say I’ve done anything.”

The consensus is that Eichel, who grew up in North Chelmsford and is a Boston University freshman, will go a long way. He doesn’t turn 18 until Tuesday and he only has played in three college games, two of them exhibitions.

But Eichel already is predicted to be one of the top two picks, along with Canadian center Connor McDavid, in the National Hockey League draft in June. “The thing with Jack is, he’s a pretty complete package,” said NHL Central Scouting director Dan Marr, who considers Eichel a “skilled power forward.’’

For the love of everything holy finish last! guarantee us one of these two guys...i know mcdavid is "the guy" but eichel is also amazing...i almost prefer to American boy to the Canadian...

I do not. McDavid is the cream of the crop. Best player to come out in years. He is the Peyton Manning of NHL Draft.

I thought the NFL had a draft lottery? How can anyone be sure of getting the first pick?

They do. If we finish last, we have a 20% chance at the first pick, but guaranteed the 2nd pick. Eichel.

Well, at least Miller helped us out last night.

Maybe St Louis gunna stink.

Is that pick conditional or straight up?

They do. If we finish last, we have a 20% chance at the first pick, but guaranteed the 2nd pick. Eichel.

So does every team in The League get a crack @ the lottery for # 1... Or just the non-playoff team. Obvious the better the team in the standing, the lower odds. BUT, you seen what happened with the Chicago Bulls getting Derek Rose. It just seems not that fair. You can get a team like the Clippers always missing. Then again, look @ Edmonton. They just happened to not pick when a generational player came along?

There is no lottery for playoff teams. Their finish is just #15 - #30... but I believe the conference final and Stanley Cup teams get bumper to #27 - #30.

So the blues and/or Islanders missing the playoffs is huge. Imagine if the sabres finished last and the st louis pick hit on the lottery and we got both mcdavid and eichel?

There is no lottery for playoff teams. Their finish is just #15 - #30... but I believe the conference final and Stanley Cup teams get bumper to #27 - #30.

So the blues and/or Islanders missing the playoffs is huge. Imagine if the sabres finished last and the st louis pick hit on the lottery and we got both mcdavid and eichel?

I'm gonna springboard off this. Non playoff teams only and only one team moves up if they win the lottery. Everyone else slides one spot down accordingly. Buffalo finishing last guarantees at least #2 overall. That would be just like last year when Florida won the lottery from their #2 slot.

I'm gonna springboard off this. Non playoff teams only and only one team moves up if they win the lottery. Everyone else slides one spot down accordingly. Buffalo finishing last guarantees at least #2 overall. That would be just like last year when Florida won the lottery from their #2 slot.

2015 is the final draft where this is the case. Beginning with the 2016 draft, the top three picks will be awarded by a lottery.