Sabres on NBC-NBCSN 5 Times Next Season

26CornerBlitz

And, people are going to trust this? How DOES it work?

It's actually fairly straightforward. If people understand powerball or mega millions, they understand this. It's the same exact process but with fewer possible combinations.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's actually fairly straightforward. If people understand powerball or mega millions, they understand this. It's the same exact process but with fewer possible combinations.

I think he knows but keeps asking "How DOES it work?" for his own amusement, like the guy who kept asking about whether Pegula could buy the Bills since he already owned the Sabres. Not my cup of tea, but some people seem to find this gag funny.

Most concise explanation I've found of the methodology:

All 30 teams have a representative observing the process. There are 14 balls (numbered 1-14) and they pick 4 - and then look up the result in a table. There are 1001 possible combinations randomly assigned to the teams based on their lottery odds - the #1 team has 200 combinations (20%), the #2 135 (13.5%), etc. One of the combinations is invalid - if it comes up, they pick again.

I think he knows but keeps asking "How DOES it work?" for his own amusement, like the guy who kept asking about whether Pegula could buy the Bills since he already owned the Sabres. Not my cup of tea, but some people seem to find this gag funny.

Well, if we could get a straight answer it might end a lot of speculation.

What i don't understand is why they bother with the invalid one. Why not give that to the worst team?

And that's why the Bills traded this year's first away for Watkins last year. Because Pegula can't have the first pick in the NHL draft if he already has a first-round pick in the NFL...right?

Well, if we could get a straight answer it might end a lot of speculation.

I agree with what you're saying, but he's just trolling me. I think I need to get a restraining order.

For those not trolling, I asked it one time, but shrader posted in that one minute between my posts, so I asked him again, so he would see it.

I agree with what you're saying, but he's just trolling me. I think I need to get a restraining order.

For those not trolling, I asked it one time, but shrader posted in that one minute between my posts, so I asked him again, so he would see it.

Maybe it's explained at that simulator you guys are doing, but how the hell does this thing work??:

Fourteen balls, numbered 1 to 14, are placed in a lottery machine. The machine randomly selects four balls. The resulting four-number series (without regard to selection order) is matched against a chart that shows all possible combinations and the Clubs to which each is assigned.

The chart of assigned combinations will be posted at NHL.com on Friday, April 17. The complete process, including the video of the lottery drawing, also will be available on NHL.com after the lottery is conducted.

You already posted exactly how the lottery works with an explanation as clear as day but have asked how the lottery works three times since. I hope for your sake that you're trolling.

Thanks for that. I hadn't seen an explanation about the one extra combination before. They must have really liked their rounded off percentages if they had to take that approach.

And I don't remember ever seeing this "how DOES it work" joke. That side of the board is too tough to follow with massive stories like the sale.

There are 14 balls (numbered 1-14) and they pick 4 - and then look up the result in a table. There are 1001 possible combinations randomly assigned to the teams based on their lottery odds - the #1 team has 200 combinations (20%), the #2 135 (13.5%), etc. One of the combinations is invalid - if it comes up, they pick again.

How are there only 1001 different ways of picking 4 balls from a group of 14. Can someone explain that math?

I can. It sure is one strange system though.

Edited by 4merper4mer

How are there only 1001 different ways of picking 4 balls from a group of 14. Can someone explain that math?

There are 1,001 different charts with every set of draft outcomes within the bounds of the previously determined lottery weightings. The selection of 4 numbered balls will determine which chart is pulled. That chart lists the draft order.

There are 1,001 different charts with every set of draft outcomes within the bounds of the previously determined lottery weightings. The selection of 4 numbered balls will determine which chart is pulled. That chart lists the draft order.

Is Vannah White somehow involved in this??

You answered the wrong question.

Yes, I can.

Go ahead since no one else volunteered.

Edited by 4merper4mer